Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Surely going back to Nike balls now would be a big mistake if he's already switched. Why switch to something you'd have to move from again shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Jayop wrote: »
    Surely going back to Nike balls now would be a big mistake if he's already switched. Why switch to something you'd have to move from again shortly.

As above he's only switched as it(ProV1X) works better with the Callaway clubs he's putting in the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

As above he's only switched as it(ProV1X) works better with the Callaway clubs he's putting in the bag

Yeah I get that, and I have no problem with the idea of switching from them to something else, but going back to Nike now for a very limited time before being forced to switch again seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I get that, and I have no problem with the idea of switching from them to something else, but going back to Nike now for a very limited time before being forced to switch again seems crazy to me.

not if he decides to use his Nike clubs again.

Or possibly he might try Taylor Made in a month or 2 and maybe the Nike ball will work better with those than the Pro V.

What does sound odd though is that the Pro V works better with the Calloway Clubs than a Calloway ball :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    What does sound odd though is that the Pro V works better with the Calloway Clubs than a Calloway ball :confused:

^ this :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

RoadRunner wrote: »
    ^ this :eek:
    The Titleist ball might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

Paul Kimmage has a feature / interview with his this weekend in the Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bandage wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage has a feature / interview with his this weekend in the Sindo.

Rory admits that he lied about Zika concerns because he just couldnt be arsed representing either Ireland or Team GB at the Olympics.

While coming out as dishonest isnt great, he has nevertheless grown in my estimation, with his disdain for country representation, and his better late than never coming clean on the fact.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2017/0108/843431-mcilroy-sindo-flag/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Rory admits that he lied about Zika concerns because he just couldnt be arsed representing either Ireland or Team GB at the Olympics.

While coming out as dishonest isnt great, he has nevertheless grown in my estimation, with his disdain for country representation, and his better late than never coming clean on the fact.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2017/0108/843431-mcilroy-sindo-flag/

Which clearly isn't true as he represents NI when he plays throughout the year.

Also he is quoted as saying years ago he was looking forward to representing team GB in the Olympics and also stated he felt more british than irish in the past.

All of which is 100% perfectly fine just stop pretending like he's this hero who rejected the whole idea of nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Also he is quoted as saying years ago he was looking forward to representing team GB in the Olympics and also stated he felt more british than irish in the past.

All of which is 100% perfectly fine just stop pretending like he's this hero who rejected the whole idea of nationality.

He would happily represent UK if he could do so without too much hassle and upset from Irish people. He just doesn't want to represent Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I see the European Tour voted Rory's approach shot the the final hole of the Irish Open as the shot of the year for 2016. For me the shot to 16 was better. He was one shot behind standing on the 16th, decides to go for it in 2 which no one else had done all week (granted the tees were forward on the Sunday),do or die, 270 yards and danger everywhere and goes for it. Hell of a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He would happily represent UK if he could do so without too much hassle and upset from Irish people. He just doesn't want to represent Ireland.

But he wants to be the host of the Irish open??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

McIlroy is a product of his time, place and upbringing......just like everyone else. Whether or not he wants to wear a flag I would say he has done more for Ireland than you or I will ever do in our lifetime.

Complete bollocks. His nationality is listed as NI, that's all. It's not representative in any sense.

Complete bollocks. His nationality is listed as NI, that's all. It's not representative in any sense.

I'm sure if he requested it he could easily get the television networks to drop all mention of his nationality on their coverage.

Also there's the famous picture of him and McDowell with an NI flag.

Again nothing wrong with any of it but lets not pretend he rejects the idea of country representation that was being put forward in the post I responded to.

I'm sure if he requested it he could easily get the television networks to drop all mention of his nationality on the coverage.

That would be hassle and controversy beyond belief which he would be mad to bring upon himself. The reality seems to be he cares for neither, as his his right. He plays for himself. As is right in golf.

That would be hassle and controversy beyond belief which he would be mad to bring upon himself. The reality seems to be he cares for neither, as his his right. He plays for himself. As is right in golf.

But you seem to be putting forward this idea he has absolutely no interest in nationality despite the fact he has made numerous statements contradicting this.

But you seem to be putting forward this idea he has absolutely no interest in nationality despite the fact he has made numerous statements contradicting this.

In the past. But statements which he now seems to be pretty clearly coming clean on and amending :

"I don't know the words to either anthem," he said. "I don't feel a connection to either flag. I don't want it to be about flags; I've tried to stay away from that."

He added: "Not everyone is (driven by) nationalism and patriotism and that's never been me, because I felt like I grew up in a place where I wasn't allowed to be. It was suppressed.

His words, not mine.

In the past. But statements which he now seems to be pretty clearly coming clean on and amending :

"I don't know the words to either anthem," he said. "I don't feel a connection to either flag. I don't want it to be about flags; I've tried to stay away from that."

Which is clearly a Public Relations stunt because of the ridiculous flack he got for announcing he wanted to play for GB in the Olympics.

I'm sure if he requested it he could easily get the television networks to drop all mention of his nationality on their coverage.

Also there's the famous picture of him and McDowell with an NI flag.

Again nothing wrong with any of it but lets not pretend he rejects the idea of country representation that was being put forward in the post I responded to.
    I didn't respond to what the other poster said, just your contention that he represents NI when It's simply an indication of his place of birth.

Why would he want to change it? And what difference would it make. We all know where he's from.

But the real issue for a lot of people about McIlroy is that he is from the North. There's a cohort that seem to think that it doesn't make him Irish. That's their problem imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't give a damn that McIlroy doesn't want to pick a flag to stand under.
    He is now a proven liar and has absolutely no word. Couldn't lie straight in bed.

Which is clearly a Public Relations stunt because of the ridiculous flack he got for announcing he wanted to play for GB in the Olympics.

Now you seem to be the one pushing an viewpoint that is in clear contradiction with what Rory has chosen to say. Unprovoked it must be said. The Olympics and his skipping was dead news. And he could have stuck to his Zika story. But chose to put the record straight. There is no pr stunt gain in this. If anything, you could say advice would have been better for him to have stayed consistent. Thats why I would give him credit for coming clean even though it raises some controversial flack for him again from people who feel he should have some patriotic feeling (to whatever country).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Don't give a damn that McIlroy doesn't want to pick a flag to stand under. He is now a proven liar and has absolutely no word. Couldn't lie straight in bed.

He seems to be nearly as bored about the topic as I am.

First Up wrote: »
    He seems to be nearly as bored about the topic as I am.

Me too BUT why does he keep bringing the subject up?

Me too BUT why does he keep bringing the subject up?
    Ah come on! He was being interviewed. In depth. Hard to imagine a scenario where it wouldn't come up. Especially when beinig interviewed by an Irish journalist.

Ah come on! He was being interviewed. In depth. Hard to imagine a scenario where it wouldn't come up. Especially when beinig interviewed by an Irish journalist.

Even so, he could have killed it with a waffly platitude though. He is skilled in media answer when he wants to.

Then he should have stuck to his original story instead of stirring the pot again. He is just a money man anyway and always has been.

Then he should have stuck to his original story instead of stirring the pot again. He is just a money man anyway and always has been.
    It's an individual decision. You seem to be advocating his continuing with a lie as if that's a morally better approach?

It's an individual decision. You seem to be advocating his continuing with a lie as if that's a morally better approach?

I said he's a proven liar. He should have told the truth at the start.
    What if he changes his story yet again to something else? He now has a track record for it.

• Advertisement

I said he's a proven liar. He should have told the truth at the start.
    What if he changes his story yet again to something else? He now has a track record for it.
    Him and about seven billion other people :rolleyes:

Seriously. Did you actually believe the Zika story from any of the golfers? Or any of the other spurious reasons?

Olympic golf is far too late to the party.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement