Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Him and about seven billion other people :rolleyes:

Seriously. Did you actually believe the Zika story from any of the golfers? Or any of the other spurious reasons?

Olympic golf is far too late to the party.

I don't care what story he used originally BUT he has proved that he's a liar.
    Nobody likes or will ever believe a liar again because of his track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I said he's a proven liar. He should have told the truth at the start. What if he changes his story yet again to something else? He now has a track record for it.

I reckon he just got fed up with trying to keep everyone happy and decided to end it once and for all. Its not as if it was anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I don't care what story he used originally BUT he has proved that he's a liar.
    Nobody likes or will ever believe a liar again because of his track record.
    And you know it was his lie? You're sure he wasn't told to say that in order not to damage Olympic Golf? Who did the lie serve most?

There was clearly bad blood betwen himself and Pat Hickey.

And you know it was his lie? You're sure he wasn't told to say that in order not to damage Olympic Golf? Who did the lie serve most?

There was clearly bad blood betwen himself and Pat Hickey.

Either his original story was a lie or this one is a lie.
    Either way he's a liar.
    There is never a good reason to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Either his original story was a lie or this one is a lie.
    Either way he's a liar.
    There is never a good reason to lie.
    I'll bow out now. You clearly have a lot to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Or if the Irish Open wasn't worthy of debate.. there was also the FedEx win! Just anything but the usual nationality tripe.

I'll bow out now. You clearly have a lot to learn.

A lot to learn???
    Liar is what he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

His dollybird will demand a large pre-nup if she has any sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

"I don't know the words to either anthem," he said. "I don't feel a connection to either flag. I don't want it to be about flags; I've tried to stay away from that."

He added: "Not everyone is (driven by) nationalism and patriotism and that's never been me, because I felt like I grew up in a place where I wasn't allowed to be. It was suppressed.

His words, not mine.
    No more Ryder cup then for him then. I thought I remembered him doing crazy fist pumping at the Ryder cup. Must have been my imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

luvthegame wrote: »
    McIlroy is a product of his time, place and upbringing......just like everyone else. Whether or not he wants to wear a flag I would say he has done more for Ireland than you or I will ever do in our lifetime.

I'm not knocking him for it. Its clear he identifies as a northern irishman. He shouldn't have to stand under a tricolour.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Or if the Irish Open wasn't worthy of debate.. there was also the FedEx win! Just anything but the usual nationality tripe.

We should really focus on stuff like this. That was brilliant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Everyone needs to read the charter

Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

luvthegame wrote: »
    McIlroy is a product of his time, place and upbringing......just like everyone else. Whether or not he wants to wear a flag I would say he has done more for Ireland than you or I will ever do in our lifetime.

What has he done for Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

robbiezero wrote: »
    What has he done for Ireland?
    Read the post above yours. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Could he not have played under the Olympic flag if he had an issue?
    Seems to me he didn't want to play end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Anyone on here who is in anyway bothered about mcilroys allegiance needs to give themselves a slap.

Who cares.

He's a super golfer and in top form a joy to watch and that's all I personally care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

I read the interview, thinking:

"How can any of his detractors hold on to any grudge?" Yet here we are.

Seemed to explain the Olympics thing well. "He lied, though" :D:D:D!

He's done unparalleled work for our Open and Irish charities that benefit, yet for some this isn't enough for the perceived debt he owes the GUI...

It boils down basic NI/RoI bigotry, trying to explain it away saying he lied to you is clearly nonsense.

Rory is a legend, a class act and an unreal golfer.

Career Grand Slam 2017.

joxer1988 wrote: »

He's done unparalleled work for our Open and Irish charities that benefit, yet for some this isn't enough for the perceived debt he owes the GUI...

It boils down basic NI/RoI bigotry, trying to explain it away saying he lied to you is clearly nonsense.

Career Grand Slam 2017.
    And a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And a liar.

Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And a liar.

you are becoming a bore now... go away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Brilliant read! Thanks Highline

Seve OB wrote: »
    you are becoming a bore now... go away

The truth should never hurt. He had no need to lie.
    I would have thought a lot more of him had he told the truth originally.
    What are young golfers and followers supposed to make of him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

He's done unparalleled work for our Open and Irish charities that benefit, yet for some this isn't enough for the perceived debt he owes the GUI...

Career Grand Slam 2017.

But if he didn't turn out to be a brilliant golfer and a multi-major winner and didn't support the Irish Open and give millions to Irish Charities but took everything the GUI gave him which was worth a fortune at the time to him, would you then be happy that he turn down the opportunity to represent the country that paid for him to have a pro-career and make a decent living if he had only been a average golfer?

Makes you wonder what Lowry's real excuse is going to be?

Personally I think it's bad form on his part not to represent Ireland, but he is a product of his time and I accept and understand his reasons. At this stage I think Rory feels more American then anything else. Golf is very much a individual sport so he thinks very differently. Both Rory and Tiger had no interest in the Ryder Cup at the start and now they both love it.

His response also ends the question about him going in 2020 or any other Olympics. Personally, golf should not have been at the Olympics in the first place.

HighLine wrote: »

Good interview indeed, i fully understand and support his choosing not to play in the Olympics after reading it.

The truth should never hurt. He had no need to lie.
    I would have thought a lot more of him had he told the truth originally.
    What are young golfers and followers supposed to make of him now?

I assume you never lie about anything? I think you need to have a little think about how much everyone lies in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Mcilroy is a super golfer, but he changes his opinion like the wind.
    It's hard to know when he's telling the truth, or is it just the truth on the day.
    Why didn't he say all this instead of the zika virus nonsense.
    His love in on off the ball was disheartening aswell as i do like the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I hate Kimmage, but that was a decent interview. Rory is very likeable. I really hope he gets the Masters monkey off his back this year

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Ollieboy wrote: »

Career Grand Slam 2017.

But if he didn't turn out to be a brilliant golfer and a multi-major winner and didn't support the Irish Open and give millions to Irish Charities but took everything the GUI gave him which was worth a fortune at the time to him, would you then be happy that he turn down the opportunity to represent the country that paid for him to have a pro-career and make a decent living if he had only been a average golfer?

Makes you wonder what Lowry's real excuse is going to be?

Personally I think it's bad form on his part not to represent Ireland, but he is a product of his time and I accept and understand his reasons.  At this stage I think Rory feels more American then anything else.  Golf is very much a individual sport so he thinks very differently.  Both Rory and Tiger had no interest in the Ryder Cup at the start and now they both love it.  

His response also ends the question about him going in 2020 or any other Olympics.  Personally, golf should not have been at the Olympics in the first place.
    The GUI isn't a Republic of Ireland-only organization though, it's the whole island. GUI represents golfers of all of Ireland, many of which are Northern Irish.

As a result, there's no way for him to represent the GUI at the Olympics.

• Advertisement

The GUI isn't a Republic of Ireland-only organization though, it's the whole island. GUI represents golfers of all of Ireland, many of which are Northern Irish.

As a result, there's no way for him to represent the GUI at the Olympics.
    Read the warning in post 2413 before you post again. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement