Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I have had many discussions with people from ROI on this and most just don't get it at all.
    Let's try to establish some facts and not let the debate go into politics.
    The Olympic Council of Ireland doesn't clearly state whether it is an all Ireland body or represents the ROI; the name implies the former. Almost all the sports bodies/councils affiliated to the OCI are organised on an all-island basis, including obviously golf. So sport in Ireland is organised generally on an all Ireland basis.
    The big problem for a lot of good NI sports people is whether to represent Ireland or GB&NI at the Olympics. If they represent Ireland then they have to (hopefully) stand for the ROI anthem or else if they represent GB then it's God Save The Queen. Now for a lot of them neither of the anthems are "right". They are from N.I. and as such it is similar to a Canadian having to stand to the USA anthem.......both are American but Canadians are not from USA.
    As McIlroy himself said, "[font=Georgia, serif] [/font][font=Georgia, serif]I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag". That may come as a bit of a shock to some in the ROI as even though Rory is Catholic and from Ireland, he has no real connection with the ROI.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]He was put in a poor position. All of his life he has represented Ireland through the GUI and as it is an all Ireland body there should be no anthems or flags. So now he goes to the Olympics to represent Ireland and suddenly he has to play under the ROI flag and ROI anthem which is not his country.[/font]
    Rory is very proud to be from NI and as a young man that's where he was born and grew up. He doesn't see himself as ROI Irish nor British.......he is an Irishman from NI. He enjoys supporting both the ROI athletes etc. but also the British ones. He doesn't have a negative bias towards either.
    I realise that for some people this is hard to understand but coming from N.I. I understand totally. There are a lot of young people today who neither see themselves as "Irish" (ROI) or British but as "Northern Irish". Rory is from Ireland and is Irish but he is not from the ROI and if the OCI wants to run Olympic sports in Ireland then it needs to drop the anthems and flag otherwise it really is the Olympic Council of the ROI (which in itself is fine).
    Last question, if Rory had played for Ireland and had won a gold medal, would everyone have been happy if he had replaced the ROI flag with the NI one and also replaced the National Anthem by some other non-political song? I don't think the OCI would have allowed that but playing the ROI anthem and flying the ROI flag for an Irish man from NI can also be wrong.

Oh and Keano if my post goes against the forum rules then delete it as I am not trying to start an argument. All I am trying to do is to present what is is like from a NI perspective. I do not wish anyone to comment but just accept that this is possibly a different viewpoint. I play most of my golf in both NI and ROI and have never had any issues with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

All pretty sensible stockdam. I really don't see, especially having read the article, why or how anyone could have a problem understanding where he's coming from.

Anyway, presumeably we can now move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Keano wrote: »
    joxer1988 wrote: »
    The GUI isn't a Republic of Ireland-only organization though, it's the whole island. GUI represents golfers of all of Ireland, many of which are Northern Irish.

As a result, there's no way for him to represent the GUI at the Olympics.
    Read the warning in post 2413 before you post again. Thanks
    I didn't say who he should represent, I was being careful! :angel:

Yes let's move on. Keano may want to delete my post (which is fine). Let's get back to discussing how good a golfer Rory is and whether this year will be a good one for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Mcilroy is a super golfer, but he changes his opinion like the wind.
    It's hard to know when he's telling the truth, or is it just the truth on the day.
    Why didn't he say all this instead of the zika virus nonsense.
    His love in on off the ball was disheartening aswell as i do like the show

That's it in a nutshell.
    He lacks the moral fibre to tell the truth.
    Those who defend his lying well well I hope someone checks their cards carefully and regularly. They don't seem to have any bother with lying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great post stockdam and I am giving you the last word on this. :)

Next person that posts about his nationality is getting a day ban, warning seem to just be ignored.
    stockdam wrote: »
    I have had many discussions with people from ROI on this and most just don't get it at all.
    Let's try to establish some facts and not let the debate go into politics.
    The Olympic Council of Ireland doesn't clearly state whether it is an all Ireland body or represents the ROI; the name implies the former. Almost all the sports bodies/councils affiliated to the OCI are organised on an all-island basis, including obviously golf. So sport in Ireland is organised generally on an all Ireland basis.
    The big problem for a lot of good NI sports people is whether to represent Ireland or GB&NI at the Olympics. If they represent Ireland then they have to (hopefully) stand for the ROI anthem or else if they represent GB then it's God Save The Queen. Now for a lot of them neither of the anthems are "right". They are from N.I. and as such it is similar to a Canadian having to stand to the USA anthem.......both are American but Canadians are not from USA.
    As McIlroy himself said, "[font=Georgia, serif] [/font][font=Georgia, serif]I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag". That may come as a bit of a shock to some in the ROI as even though Rory is Catholic and from Ireland, he has no real connection with the ROI.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, serif]He was put in a poor position. All of his life he has represented Ireland through the GUI and as it is an all Ireland body there should be no anthems or flags. So now he goes to the Olympics to represent Ireland and suddenly he has to play under the ROI flag and ROI anthem which is not his country.[/font]
    Rory is very proud to be from NI and as a young man that's where he was born and grew up. He doesn't see himself as ROI Irish nor British.......he is an Irishman from NI. He enjoys supporting both the ROI athletes etc. but also the British ones. He doesn't have a negative bias towards either.
    I realise that for some people this is hard to understand but coming from N.I. I understand totally. There are a lot of young people today who neither see themselves as "Irish" (ROI) or British but as "Northern Irish". Rory is from Ireland and is Irish but he is not from the ROI and if the OCI wants to run Olympic sports in Ireland then it needs to drop the anthems and flag otherwise it really is the Olympic Council of the ROI (which in itself is fine).
    Last question, if Rory had played for Ireland and had won a gold medal, would everyone have been happy if he had replaced the ROI flag with the NI one and also replaced the National Anthem by some other non-political song? I don't think the OCI would have allowed that but playing the ROI anthem and flying the ROI flag for an Irish man from NI can also be wrong.

Oh and Keano if my post goes against the forum rules then delete it as I am not trying to start an argument. All I am trying to do is to present what is is like from a NI perspective. I do not wish anyone to comment but just accept that this is possibly a different viewpoint. I play most of my golf in both NI and ROI and have never had any issues with anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really enjoyed that article and I'm looking g forward to next week for part 2. He's so full of contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Interview gives an insight into how busy guys like Rory really are. I remember him standing on the green after winning the Wells Fargo tournament a few years ago saying he was going to hop straight into a plane to London and had corporate events the next day before heading to Wentworth for the PGA tournament. They really do sacrifice normality for their careers.

Panrich wrote: »
    Interview gives an insight into how busy guys like Rory really are. I remember him standing on the green after winning the Wells Fargo tournament a few years ago saying he was going to hop straight into a plane to London and had corporate events the next day before heading to Wentworth for the PGA tournament. They really do sacrifice normality for their careers.

Like that, there was a video I saw last night (I think from the European Tour FB page) of Henrik Stensen taken the morning after he had won the Claret Jug. He'd had a half-hour's sleep on the plane from Troon to Switzerland where he was now teeing it up for a (presumably) corporate gig. He could hardly remember where he was. He'd just won the biggest major this side of the Atlantic and was working again early the very next morning, in a different country! It just goes to show how tightly these guys lives are managed by calendars and timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Anatom wrote: »
    Like that, there was a video I saw last night (I think from the European Tour FB page) of Henrik Stensen taken the morning after he had won the Claret Jug. He'd had a half-hour's sleep on the plane from Troon to Switzerland where he was now teeing it up for a (presumably) corporate gig. He could hardly remember where he was. He'd just won the biggest major this side of the Atlantic and was working again early the very next morning, in a different country! It just goes to show how tightly these guys lives are managed by calendars and timetables.

I think it shows Stenson in a very positive light. He could have missed the cut at Troon but he was committed to that corporate gig and showed up despite having a very valid excuse for withdrawing.

That interview was a great insight into the reality of golf being a global game. Even when you're at the pinnacle of the game like Rory, with all the trappings that it provides, the loneliness and need for some semblance of normality is undeniable and will always be there. I can only imagine what it must be like for the journey men (and women) who also have that but with the additional stress of trying to keep their cards. I like how McIlroy puts it when he says he needs to feel centred.

• Advertisement

Me too.

Rory seems to be a very well centred individual, who is very well aware of the bubble in which he is operating and who is trying (successfully to go by his comments in that article about Tiger) to live as "normal" a life as he can.

I thought he handled Kimmage very well. Although to be fair, Kimmage seems to be acting in an uncharacteristically balanced fashion for once....!

Good luck to him. I really hope he performs well in the Masters. I don't necessarily think he needs to win it this year, but if he performs consistently and gets himself into contention on the last day, I think that could go some way to getting the monkey off his back. Of course, there will be many who won't be happy until he actually wins a green jacket, but I think a few good finishes in Augusta will help take the fear factor away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Panrich wrote: »
    Interview gives an insight into how busy guys like Rory really are. I remember him standing on the green after winning the Wells Fargo tournament a few years ago saying he was going to hop straight into a plane to London and had corporate events the next day before heading to Wentworth for the PGA tournament. They really do sacrifice normality for a **** load of money

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great post Stockdam -

We are in an interesting situation that we can talk about an article about a topic - but can't talk about the topic - so I'll try. Or get carded :)

Delighted that this article has been done - I like Kimmage ,, we all know he is crazy - but his interviews work.

Rory is still only 27 - and who you are etc , is something that changes as you grow older - you understand it better, sometimes people never actually are able to fully define it and you can change over time. We have incredibly unrealistic expectations on people so young - when we can struggle in the normal world to get some of this stuff.

I would have prefered if he was straight up from the off - but again, he was/is still young and this was a situation that came from nowhere .

We have seen how Rory seems to be his own man and does things that he wants to do - he is straight up saying that now. Is refreshing in a way.

Incredibly wise, that he is going to try and stay "normal" - the fame game is a nightmare - particulalry with mobile phones these days and idiots want to film everything and get the dreaded selfie. I think behind his desire for "normal" he knows and we know that it is not going to be possible for him.

But the only thing I'm disappointed about is something I have felt for 5 - 6 years - he doesn't have that crazy will to win. I have always looked at anyone coming into a sport going - he will break every record going , I'm going to enjoy watching this over the next 20 years.

Rory is straight up talking about a Faldo - I had Rory as a man who could take every record going - but he doesn't want that. Well that is what he is saying - and as a fan of golf and Rory as a golfer - that is an actual very very disappointing for me.

Unless this is a clever distraction - but not sure it is now, looking at his approach to golf over the last few years at certain times - Golf has been of secondary importance to him.

I hope Rory doesn't have regrets about this time in his life - lads were picking up majors that were basically 2 divisions below him in golf. He is at a point now - that a few guy are a lot closer to him. Not as good - but there is a few of them that have that crazy motivation.

He seems very set on marriage and kids and family. To do this soon and get his "normal" life.

Rory has talked about early retirement before - for the first time ever I'm beginning to believe that.

But this game is funny - when he is "settled" has his "normal" life he could be like ourselves with a panicked manic return to golf in late 30s. He could fall more in love with the game than ever before - want to get out of the house and pick another 6 majors up and say how he now wants to play golf on his perfect day.

We change by the year
    We change by the decade
    We can change in an hour

Kimmage captures a moment in time - it doesn't define a person - it can be mood of the day.

Life is a very long journey with twists and turns - we really shouldn't pay any heed to what a 27 year old thinks of his life. It will change again.

I just bloody love watching the little fecker hit a golf ball. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I just bloody love watching the little fecker hit a golf ball. :)
    Nail on head.

Rory is just a normal guy who has an absurd talent. He isn't a Faldo or Woods who appear to be driven to break records and to win. However, for me, there is a huge cost to your personal life if you want to be the best. You really have to dedicate your life to the sport and I don't think Rory wants to do this. He has proven that he can be the best and maybe that's all he wants.

David Feherty, who wasn't as talented, didn't really like playing golf as he saw it as a job. If you see golf as a job, then it would be natural to want to retire when you have sufficient money to do so.

I also think there are so many new young hungry golfers that to continually stay number 1 will be very difficult. It takes up so much time that life just passes you by. At the end of the day would you rather be the best golfer for 20 years but spend every day practicing or be the best for 5 years then retire and enjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

By all accounts bombed a 340 yarder uphill today in SA.
    Callaway must be loving this!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

By all accounts bombed a 340 yarder uphill today in SA.
    Callaway must be loving this!

Not as much as the gullible fanboys, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Drive for show, putt for dough. Good luck at augusta

I've a new Callaway driver on order so hopefully it'll stand in good stead. Might get 200 for my old M2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Rory McIlroy has always been a knob and it would seem fair to assume that he will always remain a knob.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote:
    Rory McIlroy has always been a knob and it would seem fair to assume that he will always remain a knob.

Used he steal your sandwiches at school or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Risteard81 wrote: »

Examples?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great contribution. Don't bother posting in this thread again.

First Up wrote: »
    Examples?

He has the audacity to have been (((deleted by poster))) is probably the worst thing he's done for most of the people who seem to take issue with him. It's absolute nonsense for a golf forum and I'm glad the poster was told not to post here again, but after the 2nd part of the interview next weekend we'll have another load of them in saying how he's such a knob despite having absolutely no reasons to back it up.

Edit: I removed a bit int he first line because it was probably sailing too close to the wind of the warnings in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There's a part 2?? jaysus I can't wait...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's a part 2?? jaysus I can't wait...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've yet to hear of anyone being forced to read the Indo. Personally I avoid it like the plague but I'll go out of my way to read this. If you don't want to I'm sure it'll be easily avoided for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'll post again if I want. McIlroy has no business representing Ireland for anything after he shamefully threw away our national flag a number of years ago and continually cries about how he is "conflicted". He's frankly a disgrace to Ireland.
    His personal life hasn't been great either but I don't intend getting into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

McIlroy has no business representing Ireland for anything after he shamefully threw away our national flag a number of years ago

Whats this all about?

Actually, never mind, i dont actually care. We need to stop being precious about flags if we are going to move forward in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is a brilliant golfer and I love watching him play.
    I don';t mind that he didn't feel happy standing under either the Irish or British flags either and didn't go to the Olympics.
    I just don't like the fact that he told lies to all his fans. It shows he's shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

top posting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement