Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'll post again if I want. McIlroy has no business representing Ireland for anything after he shamefully threw away our national flag a number of years ago and continually cries about how he is "conflicted". He's frankly a disgrace to Ireland.
    His personal life hasn't been great either but I don't intend getting into that.

As a great poster on here use to say - enjoy the Holiday. :D

I'm sure Derry is a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Whats this all about?

an example of how events get twisted over time to suit agendas

someone offered or placed a tricolor on Rory to celebrate a win and he declined/took it off

If a golfer from the Republic did the same with a Union Jack, he'd be in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

He is a brilliant golfer and I love watching him play.
    I don';t mind that he didn't feel happy standing under either the Irish or British flags either and didn't go to the Olympics.
    I just don't like the fact that he told lies to all his fans. It shows he's shallow.

No it doesn't, it shows he was in a difficult position and wasn't sure how best to deal with it.
    Young lad, lot of pressure.
    Let he who is without sin etc

As I so often do I refer you to my signature. Wise words we would all do well to take on board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If you think 27 is 'young' not sure what world you're living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alxmorgan wrote: »
    No it doesn't, it shows he was in a difficult position and wasn't sure how best to deal with it.
    Young lad, lot of pressure.
    Let he who is without sin etc

As I so often do I refer you to my signature. Wise words we would all do well to take on board.

Yes it does.
    He could have told the truth at the start and it would have ended there and then. The pressure was non-existent.

Anyway that's me out of the debate. Back to the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

A couple of points I've observed:

1) He is 27 years old, he is not a child so I don't think the "ah, sure he's only young" argument really washes any more.

2) He does seem to "change his mind" quite often so I do see how people could be of the opinion that he is not entirely honest the whole time - remember what he said about the Ryder Cup previously......there are lots of similar examples.

3) The talk about nationalities is nonsense and anyone coming onto a public forum to bash his national identity or similar should really get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'm sure Derry is a nice place.
    It's a lovely place. Perhaps you should visit some time.

Riskymove wrote: »

If a golfer from the [26-Counties] did the same with a Union Jack, he'd be in the right
    Totally different - that's a foreign flag. The tricolour is the national flag of all of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'll post again if I want. McIlroy has no business representing Ireland for anything after he shamefully threw away our national flag a number of years ago and continually cries about how he is "conflicted". He's frankly a disgrace to Ireland.
    His personal life hasn't been great either but I don't intend getting into that.

Don't forget to close the door on your way out :D

1) He is 27 years old, he is not a child so I don't think the "ah, sure he's only young" argument really washes any more.

2) He does seem to "change his mind" quite often so I do see how people could be of the opinion that he is not entirely honest the whole time - remember what he said about the Ryder Cup previously......there are lots of similar examples.

3) The talk about nationalities is nonsense and anyone coming onto a public forum to bash his national identity or similar should really get a life

What I am saying is a 27 year old with the life he has and has lead doesn't have all the answers. If the same had happened at 37 then I am sure there would have been a different outcome. I was a feckin eejit at 27 :D

People are allowed to change their minds. He was wrong about the Ryder Cup and admitted it.

I do agree that sometimes he makes bad decisions and says silly things but I think people come down way too hard on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Risteard81 wrote:
    Totally different - that's a foreign flag. The tricolour is the national flag of all of Ireland.

How's things in the 19th century anyway?

:confused:

Will do, great deal on heating up there.

Will do, great deal on heating up there.
    Perhaps, but it is much colder here. But everyone knows McGuinness is resigning because of his Alzheimer's Disease and not on some point of principle. (He never had any principles.)

Dont agree with point 3.
    Nationality has been part of Irish debate and discourse for all my life.
    Sport and politics is actually part of Irish sport. That saying is just a saying - sport and politics is very linked in Ireland. Sure the GAA is/was a wing of republicanisim here.

It doesn't make it right - but it is head in sand stuff if we say it isn't part of it.

Sure there is a top level Irish Sports journalist asking him them questions.

So I welcome it, as - Rory is expressing his views in a more open way. He admits trying to please everyone was not working.

But - I do in a way, get that this is a golf forum and it does shift the focus from golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have noticed that some of the younger generation up in the north are now starting to identity as 'Northern Irish'. Not "British" or "Irish" as seen in the older generations.

I'm still acting like a gobsh1te at 40 and regretting it the next day and I bet most of you also do silly things from time to time that you wish you hadn't.

So yea, he is only young and makes foolish moves at times and has his regrets after. But I also bet he is a lot more grown up than most of us were at 27!

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm still acting like a gobsh1te at 40 and regretting it the next day and I bet most of you also do silly things from time to time that you wish you hadn't.

So yea, he is only young and makes foolish moves at times and has his regrets after. But I also bet he is a lot more grown up than most of us were at 27!

Yes - sure I'm nuts too and was maybe even more sensible at his age than now.

But is Rory sort of saying he isn't the brightest out there ?

He has had a very sheltered bizarre life - sure he even sold his home in the North - does he even spend much time here at all.
    Florida and 5 start hotels - sounds great , is great - but he can hardly now identify with these "Normal" people he goes on about.

He mentions he likes Dublin - Where, the Shelbourne :D

Is he not just a full time Florida man at this stage ?

He has had a very sheltered bizarre life - sure he even sold his home in the North - does he even spend much time here at all.
    The gas thing is that most of te time he spends in Ireland is usually in ............ Dublin!
    He mentions he likes Dublin - Where, the Shelbourne :D
    Not quite, but not to far away from there ;)
    Is he not just a full time Florida man at this stage ?
    Wouldn't you be if you were him? I think most of his downtime is mainly spent there alright, he has still a gaff there. Also spends a lot of time in Dubai and most off season practice is done over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This thread is embarrassing now.
    Some of the comments are cringeworthy in the highest degree.

Lads absolutely fuming over some bloke from up the road changing his mind about things in his life.

Who cares? How sad a life must you live to even give a fiddlers if Rory orders bacon for breakfast but then decides he wants eggs?

For Christ sake me and the missus wanted another baby then she had him and he won't sleep and we don't want him now. **** happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Dont agree with point 3.
    Nationality has been part of Irish debate and discourse for all my life.
    Sport and politics is actually part of Irish sport. That saying is just a saying - sport and politics is very linked in Ireland. Sure the GAA is/was a wing of republicanisim here.

It doesn't make it right - but it is head in sand stuff if we say it isn't part of it.

Sure there is a top level Irish Sports journalist asking him them questions.

So I welcome it, as - Rory is expressing his views in a more open way. He admits trying to please everyone was not working.

But - I do in a way, get that this is a golf forum and it does shift the focus from golf.

Maybe it's time that it wasn't such a big deal??

As you suggest above IMO it's not relevant to golf and even less relevant for the non-Irish who frequent the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Facts are he is a class golfer and nationally shouldnt have anything to do with it. If he doesn't want to play for any country so feckin what. I watch golf because i love it. I watch Rory as i do Tiger, Jim Furyk etc cos they are class and what country they come from has nothing to do with it. Anyways the Olympics should be for Amatures and winner gets year or 2 excemption on tour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ForeRight wrote: »

Lads absolutely fuming over some bloke from up the road changing his mind about things in his life.

Who cares? How sad a life must you live to even give a fiddlers if Rory orders bacon for breakfast but then decides he wants eggs?

For Christ sake me and the missus wanted another baby then she had him and he won't sleep and we don't want him now. **** happens.

Would be great to get back to talking about his golf alright... and he is playing this week too!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ForeRight wrote: »

It wasn't a "change of mind".
    It was lies.
    Big difference.
    But anyway we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But anyway we move on.

Oh good.

Halfprice wrote: »
    Facts are he is a class golfer
    He's OK at golf - better than me certainly - but he's not in the same league as some of the great golfers of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's OK at golf - better than me certainly - but he's not in the same league as some of the great golfers of the past.

Not in the same league? As who??

I guess the greatest two golfers of all time Nicklaus and Woods are a little ahead of him in terms of age to majors. Rory has 4 now and when they were both his age they had 7. Hardly out of their league though at this stage in his career.

Who else? Faldo? Faldo didn't win his first Major till he was 30 so I'd say McIlroy has the better of him so far.

Seve? 4 Majors at 27. Same as Rory.

Who else is out of his league from the past then??:rolleyes:

Jayop wrote: »
    Who else is out of his league from the past then??:rolleyes:
    For one Greg Norman was a far better golfer than him. I don't care how many majors he's won at his age - he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class. He is also a terrible person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

For one Greg Norman was a far better golfer than him. I don't care how many majors he's won at his age - he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class. He is also a terrible person.

lol, Greg Norman with his 2 career majors (the first at age 31 btw) was a better golfer than McIlroy who already has 4 is.

in his entire career Norman only won 7 more championships than Rory has already at what for a golfer is the beginning of his career.

Edit: At 27 Norman had won a grand total of 9 events, all in Europe and none a major. I guess that is pretty consistent compared to Rory's sporadic winning of Majors at the same age.

You are talking absolute rubbish here mate, and to be honest given your obvious lack of any knowledge of golf you should probably just stick to your petty insults towards Rory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class.

There really should be an interview process for this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement