Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Risteard81 wrote: »
    For one Greg Norman was a far better golfer choker than him. I don't care how many majors he's won at his age - he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class. He is also a terrible person.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

luvthegame wrote: »
    There really should be an interview process for this forum

Yes ForeRight - main interviewer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For one Greg Norman was a far better golfer than him. I don't care how many majors he's won at his age - he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class. He is also a terrible person.

I cringed so hard I think I injured myself.

What criteria did you use to determine Greg Norman was a far better golfer? The number of majors he didn't win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

For one Greg Norman was a far better golfer than him. I don't care how many majors he's won at his age - he is inconsistent and frankly should not really be considered world class. He is also a terrible person.

C- for trolling, must try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

C- for trolling, must try harder

I don't even think it's trolling. Just cluelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He's been dealt with and more should follow him. When part 2 comes out and the trolls appear don't bite, report it and we'll get around to dealing with them. Oh and you lot stop talking about politics you know better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Keano wrote: »
    He's been dealt with and more should follow him. When part 2 comes out and the trolls appear don't bite, report it and we'll get around to dealing with them. Oh and you lot stop talking about politics you know better

Great work gaffer

58907_arnold-schwarzenegger-movies-predator-dutch-carl-weathers.gif

He can play golf too :)

Off to a flier to S.A,

Stunning place - better looking than Dubai anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Mcilroys talent was never in doubt, if he can sort out his terrible putting he could really win a bagful of majors, imo he's the most naturally gifted golfer out there, but as Nicklaus said the other week, he needs to work at it if he wants to be the best of all time which he has the potential to be

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

392 yard drive by Rory on the first, crazy stuff!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tyson Fury wrote: »

downhill downwind with a 90 yard roll on a hard fairway

surely

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Mcilroys talent was never in doubt, if he can sort out his terrible putting he could really win a bagful of majors, imo he's the most naturally gifted golfer out there, but as Nicklaus said the other week, he needs to work at it if he wants to be the best of all time which he has the potential to be

He has won a bagful of majors.
    And will win a bagful more.
    He probably is one of the best of all time - but I don't think in the modern game this 18 is realistic anymore (10 more like it). I think the game is way more competitive now.

He won the fed-ex with bad putting last year
    His approach play (120 yards and less) is poor (for their level) and his putting is not as good as his competitors. But his putting stats would improve if the wedge issue were resolved.

But amateurs love the old "putt for dough saying". But it is wrong.

How about long game poor - not on tour.

Yes if if his approach play improves and putting - the whole thing will be a joke. But there are very few totally complete players in history.

I'd say he will win one or two this year.

If you can hit par 5s the way he does - your going to be very under par with over 20 par 5s in a week - then have loads of other chances. Even with bad putting :eek:

Two missed putts in a row - :D
    But your going to miss a few.

lawred2 wrote: »
    downhill downwind with a 90 yard roll on a hard fairway

surely

Surfaces are hard - temperature is up

Almost a hole in one - tap in bird.

Who needs putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Surfaces are hard - temperature is up

I was being a bit silly..

Outrageous ball striking given how high he hits it! Just how does he maintain control? Incredible stuff. The carry on a 392 yard drive has to be well over 300 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

He probably is one of the best of all time - but I don't think in the modern game this 18 is realistic anymore (10 more like it). I think the game is way more competitive now.

His approach play (120 yards and less) is poor (for their level) and his putting is not as good as his competitors. But his putting stats would improve if the wedge issue were resolved.

Yes if if his approach play improves and putting - the whole thing will be a joke. But there are very few totally complete players in history.

If you can hit par 5s the way he does - your going to be very under par with over 20 par 5s in a week - then have loads of other chances. Even with bad putting :eek:

Great post Fix.

I think the putt for dough isn't completely wrong, just misunderstood. I think it was coined by one of the old timer greats (can't remember who) but basically it was about pros on tour where they're all already good from tee to green and what separated the money winners back in the day was their putting. But amateurs love a good one liner as much as they love a quick fix swing tip that will cure everything (for 5 minutes).

IIRC Rory was in the top 5 on par 3 scoring last year too, so IMO if he just tightens up his wedge game, all will be well with the world. Hitting it to 15ft rather than say 20ft would make a massive difference to hit putting stats I think.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was being a bit silly..

Outrageous ball striking given how high he hits it! Just how does he maintain control? Incredible stuff. The carry on a 392 yard drive has to be well over 300 yards.

Its unreal, but I think they're at altitude this week (?) so that'll be a factor too.

Russman wrote: »
    Great post Fix.

I think the putt for dough isn't completely wrong, just misunderstood. I think it was coined by one of the old timer greats (can't remember who) but basically it was about pros on tour where they're all already good from tee to green and what separated the money winners back in the day was their putting. But amateurs love a good one liner as much as they love a quick fix swing tip that will cure everything (for 5 minutes).

IIRC Rory was in the top 5 on par 3 scoring last year too, so IMO if he just tightens up his wedge game, all will be well with the world. Hitting it to 15ft rather than say 20ft would make a massive difference to hit putting stats I think.

His wedges are a shocker (for them lads)

He had 2 bogies there with short irons in his hand.

Then even his chips with spin - rolled out too much - they looked like good shots - but again , they were too far away - these lads hole them or tap in.

His line is perfect , just distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Has he changed his ball from Nike aswell ?

Didn't think of that - so deserves a break on roll out too .

Early in season and greens very fast over there . Is their summer .

Looks lovely - must go there some Irish winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Yes - playing with a Pro V1x

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

With his distance and short game all Rory has to do is to avoid 3-putting.
    So putting is the part he has to work at. I'm sure he knows.

With his distance and short game all Rory has to do is to avoid 3-putting.
    So putting is the part he has to work at. I'm sure he knows.
    But as Fix says, his approach play is letting him down. So many times last year he was landing twenty to forty feet from the pin and really that's not going to get you birdies.

When he's dialled in, he can stick them to the flags, but too many times he was wayward with a wedge in his hand. When you're dropping your drives to within eighty or so yards, you should really be putting for birdie every time.

But as Fix says, his approach play is letting him down. So many times last year he was landing twenty to forty feet from the pin and really that's not going to get you birdies.

When he's dialled in, he can stick them to the flags, but too many times he was wayward with a wedge in his hand. When you're dropping your drives to within eighty or so yards, you should really be putting for birdie every time.

Far be it for me to criticise Rory, I'm definitely not as I'm a massive fan of his, but I wonder if the (relatively, for a top pro) poor wedges are just a result of his type of free flowing swing with a full release of the club ? Some of the better wedge players I think tend to be a bit more dead armed/body type swings - Zach Johnson, Stricker etc.
    Then again, Dustin releases it as much as anything and was 4th on tour from 50-125yds last year, so maybe I'm completely off base ! Actually Furyk too is pretty handsy.

Russman wrote: »
    Far be it for me to criticise Rory, I'm definitely not as I'm a massive fan of his, but I wonder if the (relatively, for a top pro) poor wedges are just a result of his type of free flowing swing with a full release of the club ? Some of the better wedge players I think tend to be a bit more dead armed/body type swings - Zach Johnson, Stricker etc.
    Then again, Dustin releases it as much as anything and was 4th on tour from 50-125yds last year, so maybe I'm completely off base ! Actually Furyk too is pretty handsy.
    The problem could be his power off the tee. He's getting so close that he's having to choke off his swing to get the correct distance.

Or it could have been his Nike wedges. We'll see how he gets on with the Vokeys I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Tyson Fury wrote: »

(places pre-order for new Epic driver :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

I find from my own game nothing is as damaging to a scorecard as wayward drives. That's where most double bogeys or worse come from.

I find from my own game nothing is as damaging to a scorecard as wayward drives. That's where most double bogeys or worse come from.
    It's what's been hurting Spieth's game lately too. The US courses have dastardly rough, making your second shot a lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

(places pre-order for new Epic driver :D)

*and quickly cancels the order when the €450 price tag is noticed* :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Watching some highlights from today. He was a bit crooked off the tee - even with 3 wood. Still a 67 and only one back but its a tight old course; probably not the ideal place to be trying out new equipment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement