Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And duffs a wedge into bunker on 18th after another monster drive. I'd say the Vokeys might be in peril.

Bogey bogey finish. Looked like he'd tie for the lead or better at one point but is now 3 back and tied 5th. Shame but it was the short game that did for him.

He was -8 for 8 holes - how bad can that be??

I'd say about 4 shots worse than it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

First Up wrote: »
    15 yards too long over back of par 3 17th. Bogey. Was only about 20yds short of the green off the tee on an earlier par 4 and had to hole 12 footer for par after wedging it over the green.
    I think that was the 11th. It was the one par in the middle of a string of birdies and the tee shot looked like you could kick it onto the green.

Misjudging distance with new clubs is probably the likely cause, especially with the adrenaline of a good run of holes fuelling you. The one on the 11th is inexplicable really, unless it was a bit of a bounce and blade.

I think that was the 11th. It was the one par in the middle of a string of birdies and the tee shot looked like you could kick it onto the green.

Misjudging distance with new clubs is probably the likely cause, especially with the adrenaline of a good run of holes fuelling you. The one on the 11th is inexplicable really, unless it was a bit of a bounce and blade.

He saved par on the 11th after going over the green from no distance. He bogeyed 17 after going over the green off the tee.

He pure duffed the wedge on 18th so they obviously still have to get to know each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very rarely we see a perfect round.
    Every golfer plays the wrong shot at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

And duffs a wedge into bunker on 18th after another monster drive. I'd say the Vokeys might be in peril.

In fairness that was an abysmal effort :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

He complained of a back injury after the round...

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/819922443754242048

Quintis wrote: »
    He complained of a back injury after the round...

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/819922443754242048

It didn't show off the tee. He drove it 400+ yards on the 11th and almost as far on 18th.

It didn't show off the tee. He drove it 400+ yards on the 11th and almost as far on 18th.
    May account for his bad start though. Par, bogie, birdie, double. Parred the next three before getting back to level with the eagle on eight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

No, as I have consistently advocated club fitting in various threads, you can rest assured that I don't think he went to the bargain rail in Halpenny.

My comments about the course were based on the number of times I saw him hitting from the trees.

Yeah, no sorry that still doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

He has the game as we all know but his 100 yards in isnt of the standard it should be. Look at Dustin Johnson, he's improved big time from putting in the hard work from the yardage in.

Halfprice wrote: »
    He has the game as we all know but his 100 yards in isnt of the standard it should be. Look at Dustin Johnson, he's improved big time from putting in the hard work from the yardage in.
    To be fair, McIlroy has clearly been working on his putter. Eight one putts in a row, seven of them providing birdie or better is the outcome.

Definitely needs to work on his wedges alright, but an improvement in his putting stats was vital.

Yeah, no sorry that still doesn't make any sense.

Ah go on. It can't be that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Ah go on. It can't be that hard.

Au contraire, it's very difficult, when it makes no sense, but hey ho it makes sense to you, so carry on:pac:.

Au contraire, it's very difficult, when it makes no sense, but hey ho it makes sense to you, so carry on .

Fair enough. I won't tax you any further with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

just eagled par 4 7th lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

jayo26 wrote: »
    just eagled par 4 7th lovely stuff

was some shot.

was some shot.

Yeh beauty of a shot. Needs to play well over a few holes get some momentum going and he will blow them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Tee to green he has been almost faultless for a long time now.

I think this year could well be the one where he gets back into the major fold.

When was his last major win, 2014 PGA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

ligerdub wrote:
    When was his last major win, 2014 PGA?

Hadn't realised it was that long ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Joint lead now. This mixing and matching clubs could be the making of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Anybody recognise the putter he is using?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Its a protype oddessey. Looks bit like the scotty Cameron mallet one.

Halfprice wrote: »
    Its a protype oddessey. Looks bit like the scotty Cameron mallet one.
    It's an O-Works with some customisation.

rory-mcilroy-odyssey-putter-por-v1x.jpg?w=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mcllroy firm favourite despite being 3 adrift..

Crazy stuff!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Storm can be got at 2/1 despite having 3 shot lead and only 4 bogies in 54 holes!!

Be interesting to see if he's intimidated by McIlroy in the final pairing.If it was Woods in his heyday only one outcome. One good thing is they'll probably be behind teeing off on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

It's an O-Works with some customisation.

rory-mcilroy-odyssey-putter-por-v1x.jpg?w=1000

It looks like a blade rather than the Scotty mallet he had been using so successfully late last year...have I got that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Mod edit <betting talk belongs in betting thread>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement