Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Probably a little stress fracture or green stick. Not much you can do with a rib but rest up for a while. Crappy timing really but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

benny79 wrote: »
    Its a strange injury doe! I heard he done it hitting to many balls trying out new clubs over the off season but how do you fracture a rib playing golf? and would you not be out for months waiting on it to heal??
    You've ribs back and front. Assume it's at the back that he's done it. That's what his symptoms were reported as at the SA Open.

I doubt it's anything more serious than a couple of weeks rest couldn't cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Surely the fact he is doing so much gym work must be a contributing factor to his back problems. Even in that interview with Kimmage he mentioned how his ideal day off would be hitting the gym first thing...to much training can be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »
    Brace yourselves

The Rory shouldn't be lifting weights brigade are due any moment now

Took longer that you thought it would I bet, but they have landed :rolleyes:
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Surely the fact he is doing so much gym work must be a contributing factor to his back problems. Even in that interview with Kimmage he mentioned how his ideal day off would be hitting the gym first thing...to much training can be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I reckon he might be resting for about a month ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

DellyBelly wrote: »

Not likely. I am in this area sports, rehab, prehab etc. In the gym these guys are supervised by people who know what they are doing. A stress fracture like this occurs through overuse. In laymans terms
    Mcilroy smash too much balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    I reckon he might be resting for about a month ;)

A shame but no disaster by any means. Maybe back for the Genesis Open (formerly Northern Trust) at Rivera on 16th Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

People talking rubbish as usual.
    Had years of back issues. Woke every night with pain.
    Started gym routine 18 months ago. Never been better
    With a swing as athletic as his he needs to be in the gym to stay healthy

HighLine wrote: »
    A shame but no disaster by any means. Maybe back for the Genesis Open (formerly Northern Trust) at Rivera on 16th Feb?

Or not. Looking like 2 months off. Back in March.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2017/01/24/rory-mcilroy-wgc-mexico-championship.html?cid=TWPGATOUR

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA)
    Mar 22 – WGC Match Play
    Apr 6 – Masters
    May 4 – Wells Fargo (PGA)
    May 11 – Players (PGA)
    May 25 – BMW PGA (ET)
    June 15 – US Open
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    Jul 13 – Scottish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another podcast with Rory on no laying up. Decent stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Another podcast with Rory on no laying up. Decent stuff.

Great interview again. Rory seems to have built up a good rapport with that guy.

Link for anyone who wants to listen - http://nolayingup.com/2017/02/01/nlu-podcast-episode-63-rory-mcilroy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Kind of disappointed with Rory.....maybe politics and sport shouldn't mix, but golfing with Trump? Not the brightest move I'd have thought.

Rory McIlroy plays 18 holes with Donald Trump

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

An why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Jawgap wrote: »
    Kind of disappointed with Rory.....maybe politics and sport shouldn't mix, but golfing with Trump? Not the brightest move I'd have thought.

Rory McIlroy plays 18 holes with Donald Trump

image.jpg

He didn't mix politics and sport he just went golfing with trump. Unless simply being in trump's presence is now political.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Yes. Turn down the President of the US for political reasons and then wonder why your visa to work in the US is refused.....

Halfprice wrote: »
    An why not?

Well from a golfing perspective, political perspective and social perspective he's not the most attractive or inclusive of individuals.

From a "branding" perspective, probably not the brightest idea to be so obviously associated with a President with historically low ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Well from a golfing perspective, political perspective and social perspective he's not the most attractive or inclusive of individuals.

From a "branding" perspective, probably not the brightest idea to be so obviously associated with a President with historically low ratings.

Yeah, but imagine the sh1tstorm & headlines if he'd turned him down......given the pga tour pros are overwhelmingly republican and historically the tour hasn't exactly been the most inclusive institution. From what I saw Rory only found out about it a few hours beforehand so he was probably in an awkward enough situation.

ixus wrote: »
    Yes. Turn down the President of the US for political reasons and then wonder why your visa to work in the US is refused.....

He doesn't need one - according to the Foreign Affairs Manual of the U.S. Department of State...... "professional athletes, such as golfers and auto racers, who receive no salary or payment other than prize money, for their participation in a tournament or sporting event” can either get a 10 year B-1 visa to enter/re-enter the US to participate in tournaments.......or if they are citizens of countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Programme (such as Ireland and the UK) they can just come and go to play in tournaments.......

......so unless Trump adds Ireland and the UK to the travel ban he's ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As long as there were no Zika flies there .......:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

End Trump hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That's disappointing. Trump uses sporting figures all the time eg Brady and Bellichick.

Would bet good money Trump will say at one stage 'Rory is a great guy. I'm a big fan and he told me he is too, thinks I'm doing great' or something along those lines.

He will then have to either go along with it or call trump a liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oh no here come the preaching moralisers from their high ground... :rolleyes:

Oh no here come the preaching moralisers from their high ground... :rolleyes:

Oh no here come the selective quoters.......

......leave out the bit where I said it was likely bad business, regardless of the politics why don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Oh no here come the selective quoters.......

......leave out the bit where I said it was likely bad business, regardless of the politics why don't you?

How do you know it's bad business? Do you work in the golf industry or as a publicist? Has Rory's share price tanked?

sh1te talk I'm afraid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Golf is a sport dominated by white men, Trumps largest base. This was probably good for business :pac:

How do you know it's bad business? Do you work in the golf industry or as a publicist? Has Rory's share price tanked?

sh1te talk I'm afraid.....

Well I could go into the various details of my business experience and quals, but it would be of no real interest to anyone except me......

......Nike pay Rory about $20 million per year......I'd wonder what his largest sponsor thinks of him getting photographed with someone of whom their CEO said......
    In a statement issued to his employees, Nike CEO Mark Parker spoke out against Trump's Muslim ban, explicitly announcing that he does not support the policy. "Nike stands together against bigotry and any form of discrimination," Parker writes. "Now more than ever, let’s stand up for our values and remain open and inclusive as a brand and as a company."

.....could prove costly if that round of golf suggests that Rory is not their kind of person ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Well I could go into the various details of my business experience and quals, but it would be of no real interest to anyone except me......

......Nike pay Rory about $20 million per year......I'd wonder what his largest sponsor thinks of him getting photographed with someone of whom their CEO said......

.....could prove costly if that round of golf suggests that Rory is not their kind of person ;)

An FYI for ya, a multi million dollar sponsorship deal doesn't actually mean the corporation owes that person, just so you know like;).

An FYI for ya, a multi million dollar sponsorship deal doesn't actually mean the corporation owes the that person, just so you know like;).

My understanding, limited as it is, is that Nike agreed to pay McIlroy a sum spread over a number of years, and dependent on performance, for using their equipment and wearing their apparel. This was subsequently varied to just the apparel when a Nike decided to get out of the equipment end of golf.

I'm not suggesting Nike would repudiate the contract for cause, I'm suggesting that when the time comes to renew or extend it, being associated with Trump may give Nike pause for thought.....especially when you consider their current ad.....would a company who made this ad, be positively disposed towards having someone on their roster with the taint of Trump on them? Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

It's all fake news I tells ya !!

Honestly though, I doubt Rory playing a round of golf with the d0nald will upset anyone in Nike in the long run. This is a company that stood by Tiger when he had his issues and beside Lance Armstrong for a long time too.

Playing a game of golf with someone doesn't mean you agree with them, like them, support them or whatever. Does anyone think pros actually like every sponsor they've had to do a corporate day with ? I remember him making a joke on live tv about having to climb over the wall to go play in the WGC when it was announced it was moving from Doral, so I'd say he thinks like most of us.

I actually think something like this deflects from legitimate criticism of DT and gets into the perpetually offended arena. What was Rory to do ? Say no I'm not playing golf with the president ? Maybe he agrees with him (like a massive amount of Americans still do), maybe he hates his guts and all his ideas. Maybe he just thought it'd be rude and stupid to turn down a round with the leader of the free world. It's a bit like the Olympic issue, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Admittedly my gut reaction was "aww Rory, you didn't..........." But thinking about it, there probably wasn't much he could do bar feel a twinge in his back which would no doubt be exploited on Twitter were he to, say, win the WGC in Mexico on his return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement