Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Jawgap wrote: »
    My understanding, limited as it is, is that Nike agreed to pay McIlroy a sum spread over a number of years, and dependent on performance, for using their equipment and wearing their apparel. This was subsequently varied to just the apparel when a Nike decided to get out of the equipment end of golf.

I'm not suggesting Nike would repudiate the contract for cause, I'm suggesting that when the time comes to renew or extend it, being associated with Trump may give Nike pause for thought.....especially when you consider their current ad.....would a company who made this ad, be positively disposed towards having someone on their roster with the taint of Trump on them? Who knows?

That's my understanding of it too and I'm glad you're not suggesting Nike would or should repudiate the contract, because that would be silly, never mind hysterical.

You do realise that Rory is not wearing any Nike branding in that photo, coincidence?, I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Russman wrote: »
    It's all fake news I tells ya !!

Honestly though, I doubt Rory playing a round of golf with the d0nald will upset anyone in Nike in the long run. This is a company that stood by Tiger when he had his issues and beside Lance Armstrong for a long time too.

Playing a game of golf with someone doesn't mean you agree with them, like them, support them or whatever. Does anyone think pros actually like every sponsor they've had to do a corporate day with ? I remember him making a joke on live tv about having to climb over the wall to go play in the WGC when it was announced it was moving from Doral, so I'd say he thinks like most of us.

I actually think something like this deflects from legitimate criticism of DT and gets into the perpetually offended arena. What was Rory to do ? Say no I'm not playing golf with the president ? Maybe he agrees with him (like a massive amount of Americans still do), maybe he hates his guts and all his ideas. Maybe he just thought it'd be rude and stupid to turn down a round with the leader of the free world. It's a bit like the Olympic issue, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Admittedly my gut reaction was "aww Rory, you didn't..........." But thinking about it, there probably wasn't much he could do bar feel a twinge in his back which would no doubt be exploited on Twitter were he to, say, win the WGC in Mexico on his return.

Easy, simply say "I'd love to, but my rib is still sore" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Easy, simply say "I'd love to, but my rib is still sore" ;)

Actually that's what I meant when I said twinge in his back !! Brainfart, forgot it was his rib !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

Rory is not wearing any Nike branding in that photo, coincidence?, I doubt it.

This too ^^^

That's my understanding of it too and I'm glad you're not suggesting Nike would or should repudiate the contract, because that would be silly, never mind hysterical.

You do realise that Rory is not wearing any Nike branding in that photo, coincidence?, I doubt it.

Probably not. Such contracts usually specify when and in what context the apparel must be worn. Social occasions are doubtless accepted and he'd be savvy enough never to get caught wearing Adidas.

Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one to raise a question over the wisdom of teeing it up with the Donald.....

Teeing up with Trump looks like another poor call from McIlroy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Russman wrote: »
    Admittedly my gut reaction was "aww Rory, you didn't..........."

My instant reaction was fair play to you Rory for not fearing a browbeating from the illiberal left. Thank you for being your own man. For gods sake this is the democratically elected president of the united states of america. How have we got to the stage that even being in his presence for a game of golf causes such outrage from people.

Probably not. Such contracts usually specify when and in what context the apparel must be worn. Social occasions are doubtless accepted and he'd be savvy enough never to get caught wearing Adidas.

Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one to raise a question over the wisdom of teeing it up with the Donald.....

Teeing up with Trump looks like another poor call from McIlroy

Oh well now you should have said sooner, if the IT have made a story about it, it's very serious indeed and I do now indeed concede he is now indeed fukked forever more.

red ears wrote: »
    My instant reaction was fair play to you Rory for not fearing a browbeating from the illiberal left. Thank you for being your own man. For gods sake this is the democratically elected president of the united states of america. How have we got to the stage that even being in his presence for a game of golf causes such outrage from people.

he may have won the Electoral College, but did he win the popular vote?

......and fair enough, that's the US system, but if he's only there because a "quirk" in the US system allowed him to win, then maybe the lads who went to Sun City weren't quite as questionable as the "illiberal left" back then made out?

Despite Politics, Sun City Retains Allure : Golf: Apartheid boycott takes a back seat when a mediocre performance can earn more than $100,000.

Oh well now you should have said sooner, if the IT have made a story about it, it's very serious indeed and I do now indeed concede he is now indeed fukked forever more.

Eh, I kind of did, if you read the first post I put up regarding this story.......
    Kind of disappointed with Rory.....maybe politics and sport shouldn't mix, but golfing with Trump? Not the brightest move I'd have thought.

Rory McIlroy plays 18 holes with Donald Trump

image.jpg

I thought the IT was the most measured article, lacking the shrillness of the Daily Mail, and the superficiality of some of the US articles.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My favourite comment on the whole thing was a tweet I saw after that picture had been posted asking if Rory had joined the Orange Order. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

FFS.

It's a game of golf. He hasn't accepted a bloody job in the White House!

he may have won the Electoral College, but did he win the popular vote?

......and fair enough, that's the US system, but if he's only there because a "quirk" in the US system allowed him to win

A quirk :D, its their system that is how it has been designed. Its not a quirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bang on the money.

Fair play to Rory if he wants a game with the president, two fingers to the liberals.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭thejourney

How sad to see everyone here concerned with Rory and President Trump playing golf. Ernie played with him and the japan PM last week. Both there white men you will say so he is a racist. Wrong! He played with a black golfer called Tiger 2 days after election victory

Its funny to see people who have not been successful in life complain about Donald Trump.

Donald has completed the life dream. Rich and more Rich. Great family you can't say a bad word about them. Family business, lovely wife. Won President of the most power country, doesn't drink or smoke, plays of 2 handicap at 73 years old, in good shape, and very healthy.

What have any of those complaining achieved? I'd say very little..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

thejourney wrote:

Ha I'll be 73 in 40 years time. How do ya like them apples?

Ha I'll be 73 in 40 years time. How do ya like them apples?

:confused: you ok mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

thejourney wrote:
    you ok mate?

Never better.

Not your mate mind.

thejourney wrote: »
    How sad to see everyone here concerned with Rory and President Trump playing golf. Ernie played with him and the japan PM last week. Both there white men you will say so he is a racist. Wrong! He played with a black golfer called Tiger 2 days after election victory

Its funny to see people who have not been successful in life complain about Donald Trump.

Donald has completed the life dream. Rich and more Rich. Great family you can't say a bad word about them. Family business, lovely wife. Won President of the most power country, doesn't drink or smoke, plays of 2 handicap at 73 years old, in good shape, and very healthy.

Well there you have it folks, this is the new world we live in, where some lose the ability to think for themselves and accept and believe all the propaganda that they are spoon feed.... it really is a wonderful world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I wonder would there be the same hysteria if somebody played golf with sexual deviant Bill Clinton, or someone who liberally dropped bombs on civilians.......also Bill Clinton! There wouldn't be, because there wasn't!

I'm sick of this anti-Trump crap, specifically the attachment of controversy to absolutely everything associated with him. Get a grip!

ligerdub wrote: »
    I wonder would there be the same hysteria if somebody played golf with sexual deviant Bill Clinton, or someone who liberally dropped bombs on civilians.......also Bill Clinton! There wouldn't be, because there wasn't!

I'm sick of this anti-Trump crap, specifically the attachment of controversy to absolutely everything associated with him. Get a grip!

That's the social media age, its probably only a small but vocal minority creating all the fuss. The sooner people start taking their tantrums with a grain of salt the better.

• Advertisement

That's the social media age, its probably only a small but vocal minority creating all the fuss. The sooner people start taking their tantrums with a grain of salt the better.

Yeah, those being paid to protest and write **** on twitter and in the papers. Sad

Well there you have it folks, this is the new world we live in, where some lose the ability to think for themselves and accept and believe all the propaganda that they are spoon feed.... it really is a wonderful world.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

ligerdub wrote: »

Given Trump is on tape talking about how easily he gets away with sexual assault and about 15 women accused him, his ex wife accused him of rape, etc Bill isn't alone in that category.

Trump doesn't have any political values or principles, he's flip flopped on everything throughout his life depending on audience 'very pro life' to 'very pro choice' , pro gun control to guns for everyone, etc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

It's sad how much people have bought into this celebrity moron who still goes around talking about ratings as president.

Anyway way off topic here so I will leave it there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is a politcal free zone. We get enough of it so let's move on and talk about his return next week.

well said keano

DUSTIN is no1 in the world. Rory will have that spot back in no time. `DUSTIN bodgy the last 3 holes to win last night. under presure heNot good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Does he really play off a two handicap? And did Rory really see him shoot around 80? The first 'fact' is Trumpian in its implausibility. The second is dodgy at best, worthy of the daily Rorystory column in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Trump's stories about his golf remind me of the Aflac duck.

Donald has completed the life dream. Rich and more Rich. Great family you caen't say a bad word about them. Family business, lovely wife. Won President of the most power country, doesn't drink or smoke, plays of 2 handicap at 73 years old, in good shape, and very healthy.

I agree it was always my dream to have my Daddy hand me $40 million play money......then use that to go bankrupt 5/6 times in such a spectular fashion that I don't have to pay Federal Income Tax for, literally, decades.

I'm sure the various small contractors caught up in his bankruptcies, not to mention the people duped by Trump University, share your view.

Great guy, quite popular in County Clare despite his disparaging remarks about Doonbeg.

And as for his handicap......yes, I believe a 70 year old as busy as he is has time to maintain his game in such a state that he can hold the 3 to 4 handicap listed for him on GHIN.......But I've never played with him so I don't know.....
    The same story referenced an interview Alice Cooper did in 2012 in which the rock star – a regular golfer – answered a question about the worst golf cheat he had ever played with by saying: “I played with Donald Trump one time, that’s all I’m going to say.”

Anyway, if that's who Rory wants to play with, good luck to him.......hopefully it won't delay his recovery or leave him in a position where he's potentially prone to a re-injuring of the same site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I must of taken a bang on the head cause I'm sure I see this is a Rory thread not a Trump one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Fair play to Rory, I hope he tells where the MSM can stick it when they start moaning at him.

You know the sad thing, if he was playing Golf with the head of ISIS the MSM would be saying how diverse and cultural he is ... *ok that might be an exaggeration ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement