Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just needed one good round but he seemed to always be just scrapping on the first three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Going to be a married man by the time he tees it up in the players championship seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Jawgap wrote: »
    In terms of strokes gained, Rory leads the pack off the tee, and leads in the "approach-to-green" category......but is 112th in SG when it comes to putting, and 117th when it comes to strokes gained around the green.....
    Not sure if you're replying to my post above or not, but I was just quoting the stats from the Masters only.

Average 1.6 putts means he was gaining a stroke from putting every three holes or so. If he was hitting GIR then he'd have gained those strokes. Unfortunately he wasn't and it was primarily tee to green where he lost his strokes in the Masters. On three of the four days he was on or a hole above 50% GIR. On the third day he was 83%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

stockdam wrote: »
    That's just silly. Also tell us about the times when famous golfers said "I'll show them" and then went on to shoot 80!
    If Player could turn on a 64 when he wanted to then why didn't he do it more often? Or was he lazy or couldn't be bothered and only tried at certain times.

No golfer in the world is that dominant that they can flick a switch and shoot 64 or lower. One morning they will wake up and everything is easy; the next day they'll play as well and every putt will lip out.
    It's only in books and in hindsight that these stories get revealed. I guarantee that Player couldn't turn on a low score just by clicking his red footjoys together.

Ah Jesus chill out will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    This is veering slightly off topic. If this has been done to death already or is a bone of contention for anyone please forgive me as I'm new to this specific forum but what is peoples fascination with Mcilroy. He has already identified as feeling more british than Irish. He isn't exactly the most amiable guy. He has already abdicated any responsibility to grow the game which I thought was odd given that ultimately it is more lucrative to play in a game which is growing into new markets and TV audiences. When I saw Matt Kuchar signing hole in one ball and giving it to a young lad and high fiving the entire gallery I thought to myself that Rory could learn a thing or 2 from that. I find it hard to root for guys like Johnson, Spieth and McIlroy because of their narcissitic tendencies. There are 2 ways to be a winner. Rude an ignorant like Faldo or a gentleman with a heart of gold like Ballesteros. History will be kinder and remember the latter a lot longer irrespective of how many major titles they've won.

Nice knowing you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

luvthegame wrote: »
    That's just silly. Also tell us about the times when famous golfers said "I'll show them" and then went on to shoot 80!
    If Player could turn on a 64 when he wanted to then why didn't he do it more often? Or was he lazy or couldn't be bothered and only tried at certain times.

No golfer in the world is that dominant that they can flick a switch and shoot 64 or lower. One morning they will wake up and everything is easy; the next day they'll play as well and every putt will lip out.
    It's only in books and in hindsight that these stories get revealed. I guarantee that Player couldn't turn on a low score just by clicking his red footjoys together.

Ah Jesus chill out will ya
    Is that a stock answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ForeRight wrote: »
    Nice knowing you

What was wrong with the post that was quoted? It's the guys opinion on McIlroy, it doesn't have to be all praise on this thread does it?

What was wrong with the post that was quoted? It's the guys opinion on McIlroy, it doesn't have to be all praise on this thread does it?
    Discussion of player's nationalities is verboten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure if you're replying to my post above or not, but I was just quoting the stats from the Masters only.

Average 1.6 putts means he was gaining a stroke from putting every three holes or so. If he was hitting GIR then he'd have gained those strokes. Unfortunately he wasn't and it was primarily tee to green where he lost his strokes in the Masters. On three of the four days he was on or a hole above 50% GIR. On the third day he was 83%.

That's not how the strokes gained metrics work.

But you're right, they've yet to publish the updated tables incorporating the data from the Masters.

EDIT: correction......they've added in the Masters. Data is up to 9 April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Discussion of player's nationalities is verboten.

Oh, ok.

Is that a stock answer?

For your posts, probably

The original post is deleted, maybe someone unfamiliar with that rule on here.

The original post was interesting otherwise. I disagree with a lot of it, especially the contention that McIlroy's not a likable person. He seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way in Ireland and there's a litany of reasons for that, but not really imo anything he's done or said much more than what people assume he feels. I find him very likable, and when he's on it he's great to watch on the course, more so than the likes of Kuch would be. He has a unique style that when he's on form he has that bouncy way about him. he wears his heart on his sleeve much like a player like Seve did.

Comparisons to Faldo are a mile wide of the mark, and the same goes for comparing the likes of Speith who is pretty much the exact opposite of Faldo to him. FFS Spieth is one of the most respectful courteous players out there. He got ratty with the professional autograph hunters recently but apart from that I've only ever seen him behave like a gentleman.

luvthegame wrote: »
    Is that a stock answer?

For your posts, probably

Ok I see this is degenerating into a tit-for-tat response.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Are we talking about the same Rory McIlroy who has saved the Irish open from extinction in recent years ?

I'd say he's giving back plenty to the game

Would The Open be coming to Ireland if he wasn't playing at the moment?

Duplicate post

Jayop wrote: »

He seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way in Ireland and there's a litany of reasons for that, but not really imo anything he's done or said much more than what people assume he feels. 

Change that to ROI and not Ireland. People in Northern Ireland see him as a young guy who just gets on with what he does and does it very well. Some people in the ROI want to discuss where he is from and what flag he should play under........it's a bit like claiming "he's one of us" and then when he distances himself from politics, people get annoyed. Some people need to drop their expectations of who he should be and what he should say. He just plays golf, supports Ulster Rugby and is comfortable telling people that he is from Northern Ireland. He'd buy you a pint in the bar and be one of the lads.......that's all he wants (in my opinion).

Would The Open be coming to Ireland if he wasn't playing at the moment?

I'm sure G-Mac, Clarke and Harrington would want their contribution recognised?

Undoubtedly, Rory's ability and profile help and helped, but it was one contribution among many that could be described as pivotal.

Change that to ROI and not Ireland. People in Northern Ireland see him as a young guy who just gets on with what he does and does it very well. Some people in the ROI want to discuss where he is from and what flag he should play under........it's a bit like claiming "he's one of us" and then when he distances himself from politics, people get annoyed. Some people need to drop their expectations of who he should be and what he should say. He just plays golf, supports Ulster Rugby and is comfortable telling people that he is from Northern Ireland. He'd buy you a pint in the bar and be one of the lads.......that's all he wants (in my opinion).
    It was a good post and I thanked it and all, but you didn't have to post it again. ;)

Clearly I agree with you, but I'd add that it's always instructive to see how his fellow pros react to him. On the whole, they seem to like him a lot. He's clearly not prickly because he gets a fair bit of slagging from them and can take it as well as dish it out himself.

He hangs out with the likes of Fowler and Thomas, but also seems very friendly with the guys he's played on the Ryder Cup teams with. Apart from his Man U obsession, he's also a big rugby fan and has hung out with a lot of the Ulster and Leinster players. He turned up at the Ireland camp at the last Rugby World Cup and had some (quite funny) sessions with the players.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm sure G-Mac, Clarke and Harrington would want their contribution recognised?

Undoubtedly, Rory's ability and profile help and helped, but it was one contribution among many that could be described as pivotal.

You named 3 players that didn't make the last major at the weekend so while those guys have been great in the past, it's just that, in the past. I don't see the Open coming to NI had Rory not been the player and big draw that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

McIlroy donates his entire Irish winners cheque to charity..... but you read this from morons "Matt Kuchar signing hole in one ball and giving it to a young lad and high fiving the entire gallery I thought to myself that Rory could learn a thing or 2 from that".

FFS he can't win. Next people will be saying he should take a leaf out of Diego Costa's book :rolleyes:

You named 3 players that didn't make the last major at the weekend so while those guys have been great in the past, it's just that, in the past. I don't see the Open coming to NI had Rory not been the player and big draw that he is.

G-Mac was bending Peter Dawson's (the R&A top bod) ear over bringing the Open back to NI since before Rory won his first Major.

The main stumbling block was convincing the R&A that their show piece tournament wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster if they staged it in NI during the height of the Marching Season.....

......Rory could win Majors by 10 shots from now until doomsday, donate all his winnings and be nice to every cute animal on the planet, but if the R&A couldn't be convinced the men in bowler hats wouldn't ruin the show there'd be no Open here.

It was a good post and I thanked it and all, but you didn't have to post it again. ;)

Sorry my PC seems to do that on this forum and only this forum

McIlroy donates his entire Irish winners cheque to charity..... but you read this from morons "Matt Kuchar signing hole in one ball and giving it to a young lad and high fiving the entire gallery I thought to myself that Rory could learn a thing or 2 from that".

FFS he can't win. Next people will be saying he should take a leaf out of Diego Costa's book :rolleyes:

Yeah.....Rory.......what a tw@t :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Are we talking about the same Rory McIlroy who has saved the Irish open from extinction in recent years ?

I'd say he's giving back plenty to the game
    He has also distanced himself a bit from having a responsibility for growing the game. He is a golfer and does it very successfully as a job. He does however do quite a lot behind the scenes to help local golf and local charities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What did I miss?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Going to be a married man by the time he tees it up in the players championship seemingly

Yuup, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yuup, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you ;)

Do you mean his wedding in Ashford Castle on April 21st ;)

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Do you mean his wedding in Ashford Castle on April 21st ;)

Some spot for it. Chipping into a washing machine gets you a long way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement