Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I'm not exactly sure of the point you're trying to make below in your first sentence, but I think most people in and around DL would agree better as they are now than an apartment block being there.

The harbour was indeed built for use - as a harbour, which it still does pretty effectively, in particular for smaller boats. It's proximity to Dublin port obviously impacts its viability with commercial boats. The temporary pool and associated structures look quite an ugly to me, but open to hear other people's views on it.

And yes, footpaths are for walking and there's plenty of them, but few with views as spectacular which is why the pier is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I would rather have the baths redeveloped with apartments or what ever is needed for them to be viable than to have them as the junkie paradise they are now.

The associated temporary structures for the pool are low level single story and will be about as intrusive on the pier as the current food trucks. They will greatly add to the amenities and will bring buisness to the town.

If you like walks you still have the east pier or the south wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The only possible objections being taken seriously I reckon would be from the navy or Irish lights who actually use that dock from time to time.
    Where are they likely to lay up instead? IS the Carlisle pier in a usable state?

The only possible objections being taken seriously I reckon would be from the navy or Irish lights who actually use that dock from time to time.
    Where are they likely to lay up instead? IS the Carlisle pier in a usable state?
    Are you sure that it'll be fully out of commission? Didn't the use the Carlisle pier to unload the Guinness silos?

Edit : yes they did.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610838538932331&id=412834212066099&set=a.610838502265668.159237.412834212066099&source=43

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Irish Lights ship Granuaile is currently berthed at the Carlisle Pier and the Navy have berthed the LÉ Eithne at the Carlisle Pier recently, too. The cruise ships (Windstar type ship) also use the Carlisle Pier.

The last time I can remember a ship on he east pier is the Jeannie Johnston, about 5/6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Irish Lights ship Granuaile is currently berthed at the Carlisle Pier and the Navy have berthed the LÉ Eithne at the Carlisle Pier recently, too. The cruise ships (Windstar type ship) also use the Carlisle Pier.

The last time I can remember a ship on he east pier is the Jeannie Johnston, about 5/6 years ago.

Dublin Bay Cruises use(d) the East Pier as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dublin Bay Cruises use(d) the East Pier as well.

True! It'll make life awkward for them as they benefited from the high profile location.

Plans for the Baths have also been objected to by ABP. It seems to have stalled at this stage:

Cllr Ossian Smyth posted that it's being held up in Dept of Environment/Office of Chief State Solicitor. I can't post links - Google his name and it's the opening post on his website.

An extract:
    Dún Laoghaire Baths have been derelict and neglected for many years. Despite several proposals for this site, it remains locked up and untouched. You would be forgiven for thinking that the council had forgotten about the Baths but in fact the plans are approved and the finance is available.

Before the work can start, the council needs a foreshore licence from the Department of the Environment. It applied in November 2013 and one year later, there is no indication of when this licence will be granted.

There is also a question over the title to the site. The council has requested assistance from the Chief State Solicitor’s Office, but like the foreshore licence, there is no response yet. Neither of these bodies have any statutory limit on how long they take to process a request, so the project is left hanging. In October, councillors directed the Chief Executive of their council to write to these bodies stressing the importance of the project.

True! It'll make life awkward for them as they benefited from the high profile location.

It might make it easier for them, there may be a pontoon or the pool area may br at the top of the berth lacing the remainder free

when were the satellite photos done? Library build in progress so last year or two?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2945664,-6.1303127,264m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement

when were the satellite photos done? Library build in progress so last year or two?

in that satellite image the ship is docked at the Carlisle Pier, not the EP (have I missed a point?!).

ted1 wrote: »
    It might make it easier for them, there may be a pontoon or the pool area may br at the top of the berth lacing the remainder free

No, the whole berth is being utilised

urban-beach-20-580x482.jpg

No, the whole berth is being utilised

urban-beach-20-580x482.jpg

Just saw a video/ interview would some cgi images.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/take-a-trip-to-dún-laoghaire-s-urban-beach-1.2022898

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Cllr Ossian Smyth posted that it's being held up in Dept of Environment/Office of Chief State Solicitor. I can't post links - Google his name and it's the opening post on his website.

An extract:
    "Dún Laoghaire Baths have been derelict and neglected for many years. Despite several proposals for this site, it remains locked up and untouched. You would be forgiven for thinking that the council had forgotten about the Baths but in fact the plans are approved and the finance is available.

Before the work can start, the council needs a foreshore licence from the Department of the Environment. It applied in November 2013 and one year later, there is no indication of when this licence will be granted.

There is also a question over the title to the site. The council has requested assistance from the Chief State Solicitor’s Office, but like the foreshore licence, there is no response yet. Neither of these bodies have any statutory limit on how long they take to process a request, so the project is left hanging. In October, councillors directed the Chief Executive of their council to write to these bodies stressing the importance of the project."

OMG. I mean, seriously, am I living in a different country. They fe*k up a monstrosity (the library), whilst parts of the pier or a total no-go area unless you are a junkie, and yet there is this forensic nonsense, long fingering, jabbering about. Just get on and build the blo#dy thing, before Richie Boy Barrett gets wind of it.

Chinasea wrote: »
    OMG. I mean, seriously, am I living in a different country. They fe*k up a monstrosity (the library), whilst parts of the pier or a total no-go area unless you are a junkie, and yet there is this forensic nonsense, long fingering, jabbering about. Just get on and build the blo#dy thing, before Richie Boy Barrett gets wind of it.

couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinasea wrote: »
    "Dún Laoghaire Baths have been derelict and neglected for many years. Despite several proposals for this site, it remains locked up and untouched. You would be forgiven for thinking that the council had forgotten about the Baths but in fact the plans are approved and the finance is available.

There is also a question over the title to the site. The council has requested assistance from the Chief State Solicitor’s Office, but like the foreshore licence, there is no response yet. Neither of these bodies have any statutory limit on how long they take to process a request, so the project is left hanging. In October, councillors directed the Chief Executive of their council to write to these bodies stressing the importance of the project."

Do you remember at all how much the last Planning Tribunal cost for just that sort of abuse of process? It was €300 million.

Planning takes the time it takes, the process is available to all. There is fast tracking for critical infrastructure, but a pool on a barge is anything but critical infrastructure.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Do you remember at all how much the last Planning Tribunal cost for just that sort of abuse of process? It was €300 million.

Planning takes the time it takes, the process is available to all. There is fast tracking for critical infrastructure, but a pool on a barge is anything but critical infrastructure.
    He is referring to the baths not the urban beach.

He is referring to the baths not the urban beach.

Same goes for that then, not critical infrastructure.

Ah it's jusy poncin around. That's all we do in this country. Eternal procrastination. Shoulda woulda coulda. Forums and Joe Duffys galore, nut nothing changes.
    How long will the old council bin yard and buildings sit idle and rotting. How long more too will the old CBC school sit empty in a shambolic state.

Make a sentence out of; collapse, bankruptcy, NAMA, credit crunch, sentiment.

Those sites will move along in time. Meanwhile the completion of apartments at Georges Street and Georges Place show things are turning slowly in the right direction. No need to bother Joe Duffy just yet...

• Advertisement

Make a sentence out of; collapse, bankruptcy, NAMA, credit crunch, sentiment.

Those sites will move along in time..

Nah, the procrastination has been going on since the year dot.

Dun Laoghaire baths, the seat-less park benches along the sea-front, CBC school, Sallyglen Road, the harbour (where the boats used to come in), 3M building, and many many more, have all sat idle though the height of several boom times.

in that satellite image the ship is docked at the Carlisle Pier, not the EP (have I missed a point?!).

yes, you've missed the ship docked at the East Pier. The fair ground is on the Carlisle pier.
    330985.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

First time in Dun Laoghaire main Street in a good while. Is really gone to the dumps. Junkies look harmless but are every where. Sea front is lovely, unfortunately can't say the same about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    First time in Dun Laoghaire main Street in a good while. Is really gone to the dumps. Junkies look harmless but are every where. Sea front is lovely, unfortunately can't say the same about the rest

You might be a bit harsh. There are a lot of people in Dun Laoghaire who look like junkies or ex junkies but aren't necessarily. The town has that effect on a lot of us.

I think the cleverest thing the Council did was to split the town into two parts. The Council focuses on the touristy pretty part, up as far as the Royal Marine entrance. In their wisdom they've abandoned the commerical part of the town further up to the BID who (how can I say this nicely) are sufficently optimistic to think that they can turn around the fortunes of that part of the town without resorting to nuclear fission/fusion.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Junkies look harmless but are every where.

Not to older and vulnerable people they don't.

Not to older and vulnerable people they don't.

Don't forget that discarded syringes are dangerous as a junkies who need cash to get their next fix

Don't forget that discarded syringes are dangerous as a junkies who need cash to get their next fix

As a regular patron in DL town, I've yet to see any discarded syringes and the junkies are in the absolute minority. I see as many Gards as I do junkies on my daily stroll...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Dunlaoghaire has the strangest roundabouts and road widening schemes of anywhere. Take a trip down Pottery road which they have been widening for months. Having said it needed widening, it was a disgrace, not they have installed a bicycle lane you could land a jumbo jet on. There is a new roundabout on Grove Avenue which is a torture to navigate when travelling towards Merrion Avenue.
    There is a rumour that the man who designs these things is a cyclist who does not drive a car, makes sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Paulownia wrote: »
    Dunlaoghaire has the strangest roundabouts and road widening schemes of anywhere. Take a trip down Pottery road which they have been widening for months. Having said it needed widening, it was a disgrace, not they have installed a bicycle lane you could land a jumbo jet on. There is a new roundabout on Grove Avenue which is a torture to navigate when travelling towards Merrion Avenue.
    There is a rumour that the man who designs these things is a cyclist who does not drive a car, makes sense to me!

Perhaps they're just following the cycle manual which they are advised to do.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/cycle-manual/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Paulownia wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Amgen are footing the bill for pottery road, as a sweetener for rezoning the land around the hospital and The old football pitch.

Advertisement