Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I feel a bit like my Leo Varadkar to your Paddy Cosgrave, Andrew.

I don't quite know whether to be flattered by the attention or irritated by the pettiness of it all. U ok hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So just to be clear, when a member of your family gets assaulted, you want me to keep schtum? When I see a builder's truck flytipping outside your property, you want me to keep schtum?

Seems like you're trying to change the subject. Again I'd ask why you feel the need to intimidate people who are reporting offences to relevant authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

No, I'm just saying that by informing an authority you are by definition a snitch. How you feel about it varies depending on the circumstances. In the above examples you'd probably feel morally upright and quite pleased with yourself. But if it related to, say, a cyclist breaking a red light, or someone drinking in public, you might feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

i think everyone is 'ok hun'.

but comments like 'What I don't accept is the self-appointed jurisdiction of snitches and busybodies, who nobody appointed under any law to do anything' are complete nonsense... they don't paint a nice picture of you. it gives the impression that you hold little value to civic duty or society as a whole. that you feel entitled to engage in whatever behaviour suits you and everyone else can just keep quiet.

'snitches' and 'grasses', it's just not nice language. it's the lexicon of a silly boy full of bravado or an actual criminal.

maybe you're neither of these. maybe you're a really nice neighbourly guy but just one of the many who feels like language can be thrown around with thought or consequence on the internet.

but it's tiresome. please stop.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I may have taken the bait a little too quickly. Clearly snitch is a fairly derogatory term, dripping with intent to put the 'snitch' down or mark them out as not doing the right thing.

I've no problem with people reporting any issue to the relevant authorities. It's up to the relevant authority to decide how to handle the report appropriately.

Bodger, Andrew brought in a quote of mine from a different forum, out of context, to make some noise.

We have an ongoing disagreeable relationship and don't need you hurling off the ditch as well,so stay out of it.

Andrew pointed out the breathtaking hypocrisy involved in railing against named public officials for not following the letter of planning law while coming out with snitches get stitches about reporting of traffic offences.

I fail to see the hypocrisy Andrew. In fact it's just the opposite.

I want the laws of the land to be interpreted correctly by those whose job it is to put them into effect, in this case the local authority.

And I want the laws of the land to be enforced correctly by those whose job it is to enforce them, in this case the Gardaí.

My position is utterly consistent, it's your own makey uppey, everything for bikes is good, even if its not legal stance that you could do with taking a long look at.

How can the Gardai get to enforce the laws when you're intimidating those who plan to report offenders to the Gardai with your stitches threat?

And feel free to point out where I said that "everything for bikes is good even if not legal " so I can take a long hard look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder if the members of the National Economic and Social Council hang out with a few of the cycling fascists from this thread. The whiff of cart before the horse anti car fundamentalism smells about the same.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cut-number-of-parking-spaces-to-discourage-car-ownership-committee-to-be-told-41249699.html

While it's certainly a contentious issue of policy and will get more adversarial in the next few years, it's not really a Dun Laoghaire Thread issue is it?

We do discuss specific locations in the area, but national policy debates aren't a matter for us, I suggest.

We should all be on the look out for cycling fascists. Please call your local antifa group if they are seen in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Was away for a few days and when I came back today I was delighted to see that "the gap" as its known locally has been closed at long last. I refer to the gap in the poles on Leopardstown Road at the junction with Leopardstown Avenue. No more will we have to witness the gobshites trying to make an illegal right turn to and from Leopardstown Avenue. One very happy bunny here. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

At the risk of standing accused of resurrecting a zombie thread (genius idea to split the old DL thread into two BTW) and almost 12 months on from the post above, I cycled along Georges st and Myrtle Sq. today and it is NOTHING like the depiction above. Lr Georges st itself is full of traffic, fumes, oil spattered roadway and dirt. I imagine this is because the street cleaners can't get at it because of the traffic.

Myrtle sq. has gone from having great beginnings and potential last year, to a fairly dirty and grotty area. No planters, trees or atmosphere as depicted above, just a few stained, grimy sad tables and benches. Doesn't look like it has been washed down for ever!

A great area and attraction in 2021 has become everything that the former poster taxiperson said incorrectly that it was back then.

Shameful really!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

DLR intend to lodge a Part 8 planning application soon that will seek to permanently pedestrianise part of George's Street and that will also incorporate works to Myrtle Square. The aim is to have the whole process completed by summer 2023. And yes, it is quite shabby now but it's definitely an improvement on what was there previously, let's hope the Part 8 addresses the obvious issues outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Crofton Road was a nightmare when this was trialled last year with traffic often being brought to a stand still along its entire length. Yeah, it was a nice idea in theory. In practice, it was introduced without a hollistic approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

On the contrary I thought this worked quite well brought more life into the town. And I didn't find it that disruptive to buses the routing via Crofton Road is actually slightly shorter than the routing via Marine Road and Lwr George's Street for the 46a/63/75 which alleviates some of the issues caused by additional traffic created for buses meaning its a bit of a much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I thought it was quite successful, certainly a much more wellcoming part of the town to shop in.

i’d hazard a guess and say the businesses were up

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Thought the same thing passing through on Tuesday. Trees have been removed along with public toilets and it now looks pretty sad. Having said that there quite a lot of people using the picnic benches for lunch so it goes to show if you create the space (even a shady, grotty one!) people will use it. Would be great if the planning application referred to by other posters is the reason for the hopefully temporary backwards step.

• Advertisement

The few times I drove down this stretch of road at peak times begs to differ. I'm sure it was fine off peak.

It was also fine at peak times, an attractive public space where people could get away from traffic.

BTW the fact that you drove down might be the reason that you missed the point.

that pretty much typifies Dun Laoghaire council though. They spend money on capital projects but then don't bother to maintain them so everything ends up looking shabby and grotty. The only exception is the almost obsessive way they maintain the People's park.

The library is looking shabby, Hudson Park is becoming overgrown with thistles and weeds and as stated, Myrtle Sq is looking awful.

What point?

It sounds as though you are saying that re-routing cars via Crofton Road had no affect on car traffic which IS far from the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its lookkng shabby as the plan was put on hold so as to link up wity the newer mastsrplan of georges street

The thistles dtc are in hudson park as part of a national campaign to support wildlife in particularly bees

i get the wildlife and bees bit, but there are thistles growing in and around the area that children are supposed to play in. in fact, there are weeds growing out of every pavement in and around the Glasthule area.

me thinks the bees are an excuse for the council to do nothing.

What point?

The point is whether traffic is part of the problem or the solution to the sad and grotty nature that the area has degenerated into over the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If they really want to help the bees, why not plant lavender or other bee friendly plants with high quality pollen and nectar as opposed to grass, dandelions and thistles which have low amino acid content and aren't all that good for the bees. The equivalent of feeding them only on rice cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Have we sorted out the deansgrange traffic yet? Lol

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head about an excuse for the council to do nothing. Just stop mowing. You'd think that they might shift themselves and put in a few wildflower seeds. Or would that be too much effort?

Advertisement