Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So bus routes should be artistically symmetrical so that “once in the blue moon" Maisie doesn’t have to do two minutes research?

Would you get off the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hate to reach back into the annals of time, but as far as I can work out the light sequence at the top of Newtown Park (Whites Cross at the N11) have been modified to extend the sequence when traversing to Leopardstown Rd. I cant say whether the same apples to the junction in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

No, streets that lead to commercial centres for hundreds of years should not be made one way and buses bringing hundreds of people to a shopping centre should have a bus stop located nearby.

Its not just about me, its about elderly people, the disabled, those pushing buggies, pregnant women, all need banks, churches, shops, post offices to be accessible and if you make streets one way then people will just drive in a circle until they are close to whatever took them to Dundrum or wherever in the first place. Thereby doubling omissions!!!!

Also Dundrum isnt thriving, very few would travel there except to go to the shopping centre, at least if you had the bus stop in the main street people might spend money in the shops nearby.

Whats the point in driving business away by taking parking etc, if there is nothing in the village sure you might as well walk in a park.

Drove thru Georges Street at 6pm yesterday, handful of people around, that stupid yellow structure, how much did it cost.

Maybe we could use it as a climbing frame to attract tourists from the cruise ships to Georges Street, cant see many of them slogging up Marine Road to go to Tesco.

Are you going to keep on lying?

There ARE several bus stops located nearby to the shopping centre, directly outside in, in fact.

There IS a bus stop on the Main St, the L25 terminus is on the Main St.

There is MORE parking on the Main St now than there was with the two way traffic, two more spaces to be precise.

Your claims don't stand up.

The L25 does not travel through the village on its return journey, that is the only issue for me, I am not interested in any other buses as the only reason I go to Dundrum is to spend time in the shopping centre.

The one way system iis just pointless, traffic jammed the entire time I was there, its freezing cold and dark from Sept to April so who is going to use street furniture.its clogging up the pavements in the six week summer in Blackrock too as people are gathering around drinking.

Also letting their dogs wander on long leads meaning Im supposed to step over them, tired of it all.

And Im ablebodied, if I was in one of those ride on things the older people are using to get around, cant imagine how difficult that is.

Blackrock just feels congested and unpleasant now, so much space taken for street furniture that its too wet and cold to use, traffic non stop as people circling to get into the village, kerbs everywhere that you have to climb over to get from one side of the street to the other, cars parked in the centre of the road, its just a mess.

Is there any other local authority area in the country that is doing this.

I go to Gorey a lot, very busy traffic wise but the town is thriving, xmas lights were fab, can we send a contingent from DLR to talk to the Gorey people, a junket there would be better than one to Barcelona.

• Advertisement

Change the tone please. You need to be more accepting of the views and difficulties and challenges of others. What may seem like a hop-skip-and-jump to spritely old-you may be a considerable task for someone less well able.

This isn't about age or ability. This is about bare faced lies to stir up an emotional response that has no basis in fact.

For the fourth time, the L25 terminus is ON the Main St.

Funny how you change the subject every time your lies are exposed.

In your opinion that is and you are entitled to your opinion.

I am entitled to mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Unlike most of Europe, there are virtually no seaside cafes in Dun Laoghaire - if you're in French towns by the sea, they're thronged with excellent seafood cafes.

• Advertisement

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. You're not entitled to your own 'facts'.

The fact is I cant get the L25 bus to stillorgan from the Main Street in Dundrum and this is because of a one way street system.

You pointing out different routes to a by pass doesnt change the fact I posted.

Nor does mentioning Apps which I dont have on my phone and clearly others are as clueless as me as no one could point me to the by pass.

All in all its easier for me to drive to Dundrum so I will do that in future.

If I go after 6pm I can stay as long as I like for 3e and 30 cents, spend thirty euros in Tesco and parking costs me nothing.

Think thats all to be said on this matter.

I have a flight to catch, it would be nice to say it was nice talking to you….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

As a pedestrian, I have to say I find Blackrock Village more pleasant now that it’s one way.

It appears that the first stop of the L25 return journey starts on the bypass at the library end. Regardless, it’s great to have such a frequent service in an east-west direction.

Urban space is valuable, and we are beyond the point where space can be given over freely to cars. It really is that straightforward.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

You can get the L25 bus from the terminus stop, which is 30m from Main St.

More importantly, seeing as you came from Dundrum Town Centre to Main St to get this bus, you can get the L25 from two or three stops on the bypass, directly adjacent to DTC, within about 10m of the DTC pedestrian exit in one case.

It's just slightly self-centred to expect the world to be designed around your personal desires, because you can't be bothered to spend five minutes doing some research beforehand.

I think you need your own thread so that we can focus on what's not on your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If you are shopping in Dundrum Town Centre, why does it matter that the bus back to Stillorgan isnt on the main street?

When the street the bus stop is on is just as close to the shopping centre as Main Street is.

Agreed.

All the villages that have been made one way to traffic are much more pleasant to visit and sit out in.

The street furniture is a great thing and its more enjoyable to use when cars arent constantly whizzing up and down in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

George's Street Lower in Dun Laoghaire is already one-way, with plenty of pedestrian space and a spiffing new Square on it, to sit and public realm yourself.

The proposal by the Council is to close it to all traffic, including public transport.

Honestly, if they relented and decided to leave it physically as it is, but restricted only to buses, taxis and timed deliveries, they would probably get the rest of the project through.

If they don't, they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Probably more dangerous. Young kids, old people, hard of hearing etc running out of Penney’s. Not expecting traffic getting hit by a bus.

also greatly takes away of the benefits of a pedestrian’ area. No buakers, stalls on the street etv

it’d be like that market in Asia with the train going through it

in summary. It would be half arsed and no good

Post edited by ted1 on

Would it cause a major problem if it was fully pedestrianised though?

early access for shop deliveries if needed, but outside of that, I would have thought full pedstrianisation would be a good thing.

Yes, it would.

You would be removing public transport service from one of the busiest bus stops in the heart of the town, that serves the Bloomfields centre and St Michael's Hospital, which itself provides acute inpatient and outpatients services for diseases most prevalent in the geriatric cohort, and add a walk of between 300 and 500 metres for those service users to access the public transport that they currently do.

Some of you, above, are trying to make a case for hazards that would be no different to what has existed on that street for the last 23 years, and for which the streetscape was specifically designed and independently safety audited.

In point of fact, reducing traffic to public transport and deliveries only, will reduce the frequency of passing vehicles considerably.

And if its buskers and stalls you want, you have a sun-drenched, brand new, multi-million Euro square there for the purpose.

If I may draw your attention to the County Council's own bumf on the project, its so glowing that they're practically talking themselves out of their own Living Streets expansion!

But it boils down to this, if the push to take the buses off George's Street persists, there is no project to save. Its gone, undone by a vote of the Council members which will be approximately 3:1 against.

It’s not one of the busiest bus stops. Outside the DART is. The side of shopping centre opposite the church is the next busiest

as for “trying to make a case for hazards that would be no different to what has existed on that street for the last 23 years”. That’s my exact point , leaving it open for public transport is half arsed and won’t make a difference

a 3:1 vote only a few days ago you said it be 100%…

Did you not say “the plan” is for 100% to vote no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Correct me if I'm wrong but access to St Michaels, for the aged and infirm is constantly brought up as a reason not to pedestrianise Lr. Georges st? The additional distance of 300m from the nearest bus stop seems to be the deal breaker for many on this thread and the reason why the initiative should be scrapped?

It's my understanding that the street outside the hospital is not to be pedestrianised and if the additional distance proves to be too much for the aged, infirm and disabled, could St Michaels simply do away with parking in front of the hospital and allow buses to turn there? Problem solved??

Simples?????

Its not just the aged and infirm, its their carers too, those people who have no life and unless you have spent an entire week 24 hours a day minding a ninety year old with the mind of a toddler you wont get the issue.

You can drop a parent at the door, park in tesco and walk back.

If you have a sick child one person gets out with the child the other parks the car.

Its also about accessibility for staff, walk out the door after a long day and your bus stop is right there.

who is going to benefit if its pedestrianised, outdoor drinkers mostly, young people wandering around in large groups, skateboarders possibly with ghetto blasters, someone mentioned buskers, they are a pain in the hole on Grafton Street, usually totally talentless and blocking pedestrians.

Like, seriously stick some of those swingbar keep fit things elderly people use in the empty space,put in a few chess tables, install some working toilets, thats all that square needs.

No one is going to go to Dunlaoghaire and leave the seafront to visit Myrtle Square, a bus stop on Georges street means more the people than a large square with a yellow frame.

The manholes outside my house are never cleared and yet the council have millions for their vanity projects.Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

When is the final vote do we know?

Is it possible to accomodate a bus stop closer to the hospital but still pedestrianise the rest of the street, southbound from the hospital?

It seems fron your extract that the council want to bring some of that seaside footfall into the town, which makes perfect sense.

But I would say Georges St needs a few better tenants as well as attractive outdoor pedestrian space to achieve that.

It does always amaze me how many folks are down by the sea/peoples park on a sunday yet barely anyone goes up to Georges St/Shopping centres.

And why do so many of the shops close on a sunday in DL...seems crazy with the amount of potential customers.

Advertisement