Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Still waiting on Just wing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

here2surf wrote: »
    Not sure I am in the right forum but am wondering if DL could sustain a burrito bar?
    Logic says that if Mc ds Burger King nandos etc are busy then why not?

Concern would be the failing of a Subway in Pavilions.

Is there a big lunchtime trade in the area?
    errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd be optimistic of the success of a Burrito bar in DL. There are plenty of the right demographic around.
    The Mig wrote: »
    Still waiting on Just wing it :(

Just Wing It, who started out as a chicken wing stall in the DL market, and went on to open premises in the Square Tallaght have applied for permission to open a basement restaurant in DL (beside Easons). As well as chicken wings they are planning a burrito bar at ground floor level of this.

I've also thought that DL would sustain something like this, so by all means, let me know if you're starting up and I'll be first in the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you want an ordinary punters opinion, Subway was a dreadful place to be in. The dining area was never clean to a good standard and it was a could be bedlam as a kids hangout. A nice burrito bar wouldn't be in the same league IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

Potentially controversial comment here. But I think it's great to see planning permission granted for cruise ships to stop in DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

bren2002 wrote: »
    Potentially controversial comment here. But I think it's great to see planning permission granted for cruise ships to stop in DL.

Confirmation
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/major-cruise-ship-development-set-for-dn-laoghaire-after-planning-permission-granted-35187957.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it commercially viable? Dublin Port have being granted permission for 2 berths and DL was snubbed in the summer by a cruise ship that was meant to come in decided to use Dublin Port.

As pointed out earlier , it'll be our LPT that supports this once the harbour is handed over to the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

I absolutely agree with you Bren. World War III will now commence between the various factions but if it gets business into the town and pays the bills of the Harbour then its a real positive. Teddys won't know themselves!

Simon

The report says the approval includes a modification to the application, to limit the length of vessels to 250m rather than 400m berth applied for. This makes a lot of sense in terms of complementing the Dublin super liner berths, i.e. divide up the trade. Whether, on the other hand, that fecks up the whole economics of the proposal I don't know, it will be up to the promoters to examine.

Personally I was always in favour of it, but I'm pleased with the modification.

As for LPT funding it, I disagree. The LPT only replaced the Council budget that was reduced by central government, and covers their existing services, I would guess a condition of the harbour coming under the Council is that it wipes its own face.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it commercially viable? Dublin Port have being granted permission for 2 berths and DL was snubbed in the summer by a cruise ship that was meant to come in decided to use Dublin Port.

As pointed out earlier , it'll be our LPT that supports this once the harbour is handed over to the council.

Does the taxpayer, through the auspices of the Dept. of Transport, pay for the harbour at this point in time? I'm not so sure they do.

I know PBP and the yacht clubs would love to "nationalise" the harbour and make the tax payer fund everything, without any commercial development. But it makes sense for the harbour to look for sustainable commercial development, in whatever form that may be, in order to allow it to continue to stand on its own two feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I know PBP and the yacht clubs would love to "nationalise" the harbour and make the tax payer fund everything, without any commercial development. But it makes sense for the harbour to look for sustainable commercial development, in whatever form that may be, in order to allow it to continue to stand on its own two feet.

Side bar, but this has to be one of the most unlikely political alliances in history.

• Advertisement

Side bar, but this has to be one of the most unlikely political alliances in history.

Was just thinking that earlier! Although I think there was a meeting of minds there on previous SOS campaigns.

You'd imagine if anyone has the resources to pursue a judicial review of the ABP decision, if they decide to pursue it, the yachts clubs have.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows" :pac:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

"Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows" :pac:

image.jpg

not so strange if your dad was a long standing yacht club member

Does the taxpayer, through the auspices of the Dept. of Transport, pay for the harbour at this point in time? I'm not so sure they do.

The Harbour Company currently receives no public funding and has to wipe its own feet. It has struggled to do that in recent years (often with problems of its own making) but even under its new ruler (the County Council) it will be expected to pay its own bills.

Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

How much do the Harbour Police cost? How much does the CEO and the associates cost? What exactly do they do other than drive up and down issuing parking tickets?

Total waste of money imo.

I'm all for cruises coming to Dun Laoghaire. Saw and spoke to plenty of people off the cruises in the summer. Was stopped twice and asked by a bunch of them for a recommendation as to where to eat.

Don't think any of them would be very impressed by the swarm of junkies who commandeer and destroy part of the pier. The group that the harbour police do sweet eff all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You'd imagine if anyone has the resources to pursue a judicial review of the ABP decision, if they decide to pursue it, the yachts clubs have.....
    Some of them have the resources, not all.

Disclaimer: I'm a sailor, and I'm a bloody foreigner (though if you trace the family history, it apparently comes back to Ireland at the time of the first Earl of Roscommon, which probably still makes me a bloody foreigner).

I'm not in favour of whacking a great big pier in the middle of the harbour, where a vessel will have to run their generators all the time (the proposal, last I read it, had no provision for supplying the power required by a cruise ship). I've been in ports where this is the case, and it stinks.

I really liked the counter-proposal of making the former Stena area a national sailing centre, and using it to host large scale events that attract thousands of people for a week. I also remember the Harbour Company demanding that the clubs remove their moorings in the main basin, so that the space could be used for water sports etc; have to wonder if they have a share in the marina :D

Ah well, we'll see whether they actually get it built.

Chinasea wrote: »
    How much do the Harbour Police cost? How much does the CEO and the associates cost? What exactly do they do other than drive up and down issuing parking tickets?

Total waste of money imo.

I'm all for cruises coming to Dun Laoghaire. Saw and spoke to plenty of people off the cruises in the summer. Was stopped twice and asked by a bunch of them for a recommendation as to where to eat.

Don't think any of them would be very impressed by the swarm of junkies who commandeer and destroy part of the pier. The group that the harbour police do sweet eff all about.

If all they do is issue tickets then insure it covers itself ;)

No, probably not, why didnt you think to mention this before?

For the millionth time,dealing with ASB is a Garda matter, not rentacop Harbour """"Police""""

No, probably not, why didnt you think to mention this before?

For the millionth time,dealing with ASB is a Garda matter, not rentacop Harbour """"Police""""
    Try stay polite please.

Don't think any of them would be very impressed by the swarm of junkies who commandeer and destroy part of the pier.

The main reason I am a fan of it is because I worked in tourism before I think DL is a beautiful to place to dock and near enough to Dublin. Dublin Port is an awful place to show tourists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭markpb

errlloyd wrote:
    The main reason I am a fan of it is because I worked in tourism before I think DL is a beautiful to place to dock and near enough to Dublin. Dublin Port is an awful place to show tourists!

The new Alexandra Basin Project will bring cruise ships a lot further into the port, past the industrial part of it and closer to the city. It still won't match a lot of very scenic ports like Messina, Split, Venice, etc but it'll be a huge improvement. In any case, lots of very popular ports are fugly but it doesn't matter because passengers are more interested in the city or area that they're visiting.

I'd wager that access from Dublin Port will remain a lot easier for the army of coaches and taxis that flock to meet cruise ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was in the IMC in Dun Laoghaire with my mam today for her birthday. I noticed some work was done in the cinema some time ago

After I saw a film called Storks; I went upstairs & I saw an extra screen that was fully built known as Screen 14. It's located in front of Screen 1 in the cinema. I thought it looked great while outside of it. I was on that floor in Screen 1 exactly three months ago today on the 5th of August after seeing Suicide Squad. When I was there at that time; barely any work even started. I'm glad to see it fully built & open for all their customers.

I grew up in the business with families members being fairly senior in the country. While Dublin Port is indeed it ideal they have plans to build two berths but it's access to the city is king and they have coaches ready to whisk people away for over priced tours

Attached below is a report contrary to what you are declaring, and which makes a lot more sense. Implementation of laws, etc., would however be my point.

"Dun Laoghaire harbour police are governed by the Harbours Act 1996 and the Laoghaire harbour by-laws, giving them powers to do things such as clamp cars, apprehend litter offenders or arrest people who are causing a disturbance."

Not once when I rang the Harbour Police to report the 'junkit fest' did they tell me (as hearsayed by yourself) they were merely; "A Rentacop Harbour Police". However, they did say they were afraid to go amongst the group of hard-core littering, spitting, open-drug taking bunch of 15+ that have commandeered a beautiful part of the harbour.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/harbour-and-airport-police-have-powers-of-search-and-arrest-in-their-own-areas-1.1261410

Attached below is a report contrary to what you are declaring, and which makes a lot more sense. Implementation of laws, etc., would however be my point.

"Dun Laoghaire harbour police are governed by the Harbours Act 1996 and the Laoghaire harbour by-laws, giving them powers to do things such as clamp cars, apprehend litter offenders or arrest people who are causing a disturbance."

Not once when I rang the Harbour Police to report the 'junkit fest' did they tell me (as hearsayed by yourself) they were merely; "A Rentacop Harbour Police". However, they did say they were afraid to go amongst the group of hard-core littering, spitting, open-drug taking bunch of 15+ that have commandeered a beautiful part of the harbour.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/harbour-and-airport-police-have-powers-of-search-and-arrest-in-their-own-areas-1.1261410

They do indeed have more power than "rentacops". Problem they have though when dealing with anti-social behaviour is lack of numbers. There really are very few of them nowadays and they are reliant on the Gardai for assistance and backup. The Gardai in turn are seriously understaffed locally and the cycle continues.

Simon

ted1 wrote: »
    I grew up in the business with families members being fairly senior in the country. While Dublin Port is indeed it ideal they have plans to build two berths but it's access to the city is king and they have coaches ready to whisk people away for over priced tours

You're right, but a surprising amount of cruise ship passengers never leave their ships, or if they do don't go far. If you don't want to go into the city, then Dublin Port offers you nothing. In DL you would be able to walk off the ship and stroll around. It would be pleasant.

Also the train gives them decent access to the city, and DL gives them better access to things like the Wicklow mountains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Realisticlies

Is there actually any good music bars around Dun Loaghaire? I moved up the road about three and a half years ago and I went into the town at night time on a few rare occasions and it does be dead. I do go in maybe once a week to pick up a few things from the shops or go for a walk along the peer but as far a food goes there has never been a place to stand out to me there or even a pub with good atmosphere as well. Don't get me wrong though I do love Dun loaghaire and I did choose to move here for work because it is very nice but there isn't much to get me down there after 6 for food and a few drinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Kozie used to have live music at the weekends, haven't been in a while so not sure if they still do, but to be honest you have a better selection of pubs up the road in Dalkey

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is there actually any good music bars around Dun Loaghaire? I moved up the road about three and a half years ago and I went into the town at night time on a few rare occasions and it does be dead. I do go in maybe once a week to pick up a few things from the shops or go for a walk along the peer but as far a food goes there has never been a place to stand out to me there or even a pub with good atmosphere as well. Don't get me wrong though I do love Dun loaghaire and I did choose to move here for work because it is very nice but there isn't much to get me down there after 6 for food and a few drinks

Been a while since I was last there but Gilbert & Wrights had decent bands on a few times I was there.

Purty Kitchen seem to do a line in cover bands playing there if we're stretching DL a bit (basically Monkstown).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

frash wrote: »

I'm still at a loss as to why they are limiting the size of vessels to 250m. A lot of the worlds iconic cruise liners are essentially being excluded. See the list of ships at the following address:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

A lot of big names operate them including Royal Caribbean International, Costa Cruises, Carnival, Celebrity Cruises and Disney Cruise Line to name but a few.

Unless there is a very good reason why they are putting these limitations in place such as a protected structure, historic sub-sea monument or nature reserve, I can't see any other good reasons.

Then again, with local interest bodies such the Save Our Seafront, People Before Profit and the rest of the left-wing begrudging brigade, we wont have any proper progress. I can even remember reading the leaflet from Richard Boyd Barrett objecting to it where he compares the height of a cruise ship to the height of liberty hall:

https://richardboydbarrett.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/new-plans-leaflet.jpg

The size of these ships is what makes them so impressive, iconic & majestic. So what if they dwarf the harbour. They give the town of Dun Laoghaire international exposure and going by the vacant retail units of the main street, it is not something Dun Laoghaire can afford to loose out on.

Advertisement