Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Third serious assault I've heard of in recent weeks in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

uch wrote: »
    Coming from Fitzpatricks Hotel to Dalkey for Aircoach I believe

No that's wrong. The aircoach starts a the Castle , they were walking towards iit on Killiney road. Which is the road in front of the castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Third serious assault I've heard of in recent weeks in the area.

I'd heard of the this one and the stabbing on Christmas eve, where was the third?

There have been around fifteen break ins in the castlepark road area over the last two months as well. It is becoming a rough area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

oddly enough, it looks like the very good Epic Ireland emigration exhibition that's currently in CHQ in town is going to be displaced by a microbrewery. DL CC/BID should jump on this opportunity. Stick it in the Stena building while the Carlisle is developed.

I lived abroad for a few years and might have missed it, but wasn't there an architecture competition for proposals for the Carlisle at some point? Did HMS RBB torpedo those as well?

Really? They poured a lot of investment into that site and it must only be there a year max. Having said that I actually went to it last week and I spotted 4 tourists in addition to myself. They have a huge overstaffed gift shop too which is always empty.

Having it in an old ferry building makes sense I suppose but I can't see them moving it outside the dirt centre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd heard of the this one and the stabbing on Christmas eve, where was the third?

There have been around fifteen break ins in the castlepark road area over the last two months as well. It is becoming a rough area.

Guy was followed out of a pub and badly beaten by two people. Very lucky not to be permanently injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

coylemj wrote: »
    The piers are not a 'leisure amenity' as far as cruise ship passengers are concerned and that is what I and the poster I responded to were talking about.

Yes, I walk the two piers several times every year and they are a great local amenity but for a cruise ship passenger they are simply piers where ships tie up, same as you get in any port which is the point I was making.

Dun Laoghaire east pier is an amazing piece of engineering and far more attractive than most piers in most port towns and cities around Europe. It's full of leisure boats not commercial vessels, which is what sets it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Those two scumbags who attacked the three girls in Killiney are irredeemable scum of the earth.

These thugs should ideally live in the realms of hell for the rest of their lives, but no, because of our own justice system it's going to appear far worse, for the victims when they will hear the scumbags own sentences in court here in future.

And the worst thing is the girls themselves have nothing to blame for this attack. That is the sick joke after nothing will get solved while living here.

I hope the girls will recover well when they go back to America. Good luck to the three of them & I hope they make a better life for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Those two scumbags who attacked the three girls in Killiney are irredeemable scum of the earth.

These thugs should ideally live in the realms of hell for the rest of their lives, but no, because of our own justice system it's going to appear far worse, for the victims when they will hear the scumbags own sentences in court here in future.

And the worst thing is the girls themselves have nothing to blame for this attack. That is the sick joke after nothing will get solved while living here.

I hope the girls will recover well when they go back to America. Good luck to the three of them & I hope they make a better life for themselves.

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, because Ireland is do-good-er territory, vermin like these two will probably only get a slap in the wrist.

It really makes me embarrassed to be Irish when Americans come here to see how lenient we are on criminals. Moreover, scumbags such as these two give our country a bad name. I'd imagine that these American girls will be put off by the prospect of visiting our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, because Ireland is do-good-er territory, vermin like these two will probably only get a slap in the wrist.

It really makes me embarrassed to be Irish when Americans come here to see how lenient we are on criminals. Moreover, scumbags such as these two give our country a bad name. I'd imagine that these American girls will be put off by the prospect of visiting our country.

Well America has one of the toughest sentencing regimes in the world including the death penalty and it dosent seems to have stopped crime which is far higher and far more violent than here.

70k a year to keep somebody in prison while a small fraction of this spent at an early age would solve a lot of problems. Thats where we should be concentrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Guy was followed out of a pub and badly beaten by two people. Very lucky not to be permanently injured.

Which pub was this? Didn't hear anything about it.

• Advertisement

The epicentre of huge investment in the kingdom of DL remains the palace itself, DLRCoCo aren't happy enough with their fine building, it needs serious upgrading and modernisation (even the new bit).

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/communications-team/proposed-renovations-alterations-to-county-hall/

The epicentre of huge investment in the kingdom of DL remains the grand palace itself. DLRCoCo aren't happy enough with their fine building, it needs serious upgrading and modernisation (even the new bit).

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/communications-team/proposed-renovations-alterations-to-county-hall/

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I was only in the council chamber once, years ago, and I thought it was cramped. Haven't we been blessed with an increase in the number of councillors recently as well?

Maybe they could look at using one of the many new co-working spaces popping up around the town, and leave the chamber as is for formal occasions.

It's going from this

C8ALBzYW4AE96sP.jpg

to this

C8ALBzYWkAAukm5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was only in the council chamber once, years ago, and I thought it was cramped. Haven't we been blessed with an increase in the number of councillors recently as well?

Maybe they could look at using one of the many new co-working spaces popping up around the town, and leave the chamber as is for formal occasions.

Yeah that'll happen.

You are correct though, thanks to Phil The Menace Hogan, DLR and the other 2 Dublin suburban counties now have 40 councillors each. 40! A complete bloody joke to have to pay for them and now have to pay for this to accommodate them

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JohnJ94

Thinking of moving to the area. Looking at the Neptune apartment complex.

Anyone living there and have any comments on the place? It seems nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Details of cruise liners calling to Dun Laoghaire this season.

http://www.dunlaoghaire.ie/cruise-season-kicks-off/?mc_cid=05cc6f391c&mc_eid=d4fb865395

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

errlloyd wrote: »
    You know I never thought of the Carlisle pier as a potential location for the Maritime museum. That would be really quite cool. Has there been any weight put behind that suggestion before?

Related (sort of) to this..

Got speaking to a chap yesterday who was telling me about a group that's been put together to try to raise funds to bring an original 'Dunleary' (sp) lifeboat back to the town. It's in a boatyard in NE England, the previous owner has died and it's in danger of being broken up.

The longer term view that this group is taking is to collaborate with all other water based users of the harbour (rowing clubs, yacht clubs, sailing schools, scouts etc.) to come together at a focal point in the harbour, for example, the Carlisle pier. This DL boat might be a focal point of that.

More details on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/DunlearyLifeboatProject/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was in Dun Laoghaire town today for the first time in a while bar an evening time cinema trip and I have to say the place was surprisingly very busy I wouldn't quite say thriving but very busy. Bloomfields had a family fun day going on but the town as a whole seemed to be doing well, I didn't venture into the shopping centre mind you. A few new shops have gone in on the main street.

I found all I needed and a few other bits so all and all a good days works. Parking is still a bit of pain I know, I favoured a trip to DL as I couldn't be bothered getting the bus into town or spending the day in an underground car park in Dundrum. Pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭cobham

I often use the Dart carpark at Monkstown on a Saturday, pleasant walk along to town even take in bit of the harbour. There are some on street parkspaces on the Saturday if you get down early enough. I like a browse in the Sosgrene shop on main street and Tiger in old centre. I get decent coffee in various places ... Sunshine cafe near the hospital a favourite.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I found all I needed and a few other bits so all and all a good days works. Parking is still a bit of pain I know, I favoured a trip to DL as I couldn't be bothered getting the bus into town or spending the day in an underground car park in Dundrum. Pleasantly surprised.

To quote your own alternatives, IMO parking in DL is both less painful and generally cheaper than Dundrum. From what Ive seen on Saturdays lately, its becoming quite the brunch and browse destination.

A few factors include obviously the opening of new outlets offering a good product, Frascati in Blackrock is a building site and Dundrum can be very irritating for parking and eating due to the crowds on the weekend.

A few have lead, hopefully many more will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you're willing to park at the Harbour there is almost always decent amount of parking available. I usually use the multistorey beside the Stena Ferry Terminal nearest the dart station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭cobham

I know you might find parking in harbour area but metered every day up to c 7pm? If you need to be there for a full morning/day, the open ground carpark where the old ferry terminal used to be (Carlisle pier?) is good option at 5 euro for whole day... access from slip road by Royal St G yacht club.

Yes quite a buzz at weekends especially on Pavilion seafront with restaurant options, eating outside option, views of bay, childrens' playground, new library and bit along is the Farmers market on Sundays. Oh and Teddy's icecream or if you can bear the long Q's, the new place Scrumidelicious (sp?):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you're willing to park at the Harbour there is almost always decent amount of parking available. I usually use the multistorey beside the Stena Ferry Terminal nearest the dart station.

Two things to note when parking on public roads within the harbour area - specifically the area controlled by the Harbour Police.....

1. Minimum parking charge is €2 and the hourly rate is €2. Applies 09:00-20:00 seven days, incl. bank holidays. Maximum rate in the rest of Dun Laoghaire is €1.50 p.h. Mon-Sat 08:00-19:00 (free all day Sunday).

2. The harbour police clamp you if your time has expired, the co. co. people issue tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

coylemj wrote: »
    Two things to note when parking on public roads within the harbour area - specifically the area controlled by the Harbour Police.....

1. Minimum parking charge is €2 and the hourly rate is €2. Applies 09:00-20:00 seven days, incl. bank holidays. Maximum rate in the rest of Dun Laoghaire is €1.50 p.h. Mon-Sat 08:00-19:00 (free all day Sunday).

2. The harbour police clamp you if your time has expired, the co. co. people issue tickets.

I arrived down to park before a play in the Pavilion last week and went to pay for the 10 minutes before 8pm, I was doing so by text as I was walking to the theatre. Very confusing as the reply just said my 10 minutes wasn't valid but didn't say what was valid and the sign never mentioned (from memory) a minimum time period. Thankfully I didn't get clamped but the information could be clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Larbre34 wrote: »
    To quote your own alternatives, IMO parking in DL is both less painful and generally cheaper than Dundrum. From what Ive seen on Saturdays lately, its becoming quite the brunch and browse destination.

A few factors include obviously the opening of new outlets offering a good product, Frascati in Blackrock is a building site and Dundrum can be very irritating for parking and eating due to the crowds on the weekend.

A few have lead, hopefully many more will follow.

I agree Dundrum is a nightmare for parking on the weekends. If I was going to Dundrum at the weekends I would go by P+R Luas or on the bike, I however believe Dundrum is more of a victim of its own sucesswhile Dun Laoghaire has suffered from under investment and lack of passing trade. Dun Laoghaire has to accept it is competing with Carrickmines, Stillorgan and Blackrock rather than town or Dundrum.

However some decent new shops have gone in recent years such as Sostrene Grene aswell as a few additions to Bloomfields such as the improvements to Tesco. Theres a lot less vacant units on the main street now than there were three or four years ago.

The shopping centre is still a disgrace so fingers crossed its renovation goes ahead. Btw I don't think the removal of the car ferry was much of blow to Dun Laoghaire as most of its passengers were going elsewhere and not stopping in DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Btw I don't think the removal of the car ferry was much of blow to Dun Laoghaire as most of its passengers were going elsewhere and not stopping in DL.

The issue there was that the town wasn't doing anything to keep any of those people in Dun Laoghaire. All it needed (as has been done in port towns worldwide!) was a book of vouchers (or e-vouchers or whatever form) you could pick up on the HSS giving passengers a few quid of lunch etc and there would have been real value to the 200,000 or so that used the ferry. Just needed 10% of them to spend a couple of hours before they leave in the town. It was almost as if the town was saying that it didn't need those 20,000 visitors.

Anyway, that's an aside. Apologies Mods! Good to see the town getting busier from whatever source and agree totally on the shopping centre. It and the Dunnes block are the last remaining blots on the retail landscape. Word is that there may finally be progress on the Shopping Centre shortly....

Simon

Not too late to demolish the shopping centre, sell the site and build a mixed use scheme with mostly residential to the seaward side, some high spec offices and a street front retail aspect with high quality finishes to echo the victorian buildings opposite. (i.e. totally unlike the cr@p that was built in front of Bloomfields opposite the hospital). Even if what Ive heard may occupy the revamped large units in the SC comes to pass, I dont think large retail will thrive there and DLSC is an eyesore no matter what way you slice it. DL should be looking to be distinct from Dundrum, not trying to ape a poor impression of it.

It needs Tesco to pull out of the office building on top, I'd say they are keeping the whole show on the road at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It needs Tesco to pull out of the office building on top, I'd say they are keeping the whole show on the road at this stage.

From what i recall they signed a very very favourable long term lease which is what is keeping them there

Advertisement