Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Anyone know in which decade the upper level of the East Pier might reopen following the storm damage in March ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We were there 2-3 weeks ago and aside from fencing it off, not a thing has been done to it, you can still see the great big hole in the upper level under the bandstand (not sure if the one on the upper level is called a bandstand or something else but that's where the damage is).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I have a vague recollection of an announcement that it needs to go to tender resulting in delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the broken glass caused by the storm is still flying around, it hasn't been swept yet.

A part of me wonders whether any delay in repairs to the shelter and the pier has been caused by the handover from the Harbour Co to DLRCC. Insofar as one party or another doesn't want the repair bill on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

There seems to be considerable damage to and under the surface beneath the sun shelter. That seems to be consistent with heavy impact damage from the seaward side during the storm which has effectively undermined part of the pier surface.

I expect that this will be a big repair job whoever is going to pay for it. Let us hope that some genius does not decide to charge the public for admission to the pier to generate revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

will that affect public access for the FlugTag event on Sunday?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You can still get down the pier on the lower level, just the upper level is closed from the sun shelter to the end of the pier. I believe the Flugtag will be in the next pier over (sorry, can't think what it's called right now).

miamee wrote: »
    You can still get down the pier on the lower level, just the upper level is closed from the sun shelter to the end of the pier. I believe the Flugtag will be in the next pier over (sorry, can't think what it's called right now).

the viewing area is on the East Pier; the contraptions will be launching from the Carlisle Pier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It will be bedlam if the weather is particularly good.

DdT4RY-XUAAw3l7.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It will be bedlam if the weather is particularly good.

Yup will be a s***show if the weather is nice with the top level closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What kind of turnout did it get last time it was in Dun Laoghaire in 2012?

Yup will be a s***show if the weather is nice with the top level closed.

Weather is due to be bad on Sunday? Overcast with showers

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What kind of turnout did it get last time it was in Dun Laoghaire in 2012?

Tens of thousands turned up. The whole area was crammed full of people all along the pier, by the sailing clubs, all along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

bedlam if i remember and the big screen didnt work so crap viewing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

One of the benches in the Haddington Garden could be the prime viewing location if you're there early enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

The Mig wrote: »
    One of the benches in the Haddington Garden could be the prime viewing location if you're there early enough

Can see that place being completely mobbed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Despite the bad weather, the place was mobbed. A good atmosphere, but the actual flugtag thing was a bit meh, we left after seeing thirty failed attempts at anything resembling gliding.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Despite the bad weather, the place was mobbed. A good atmosphere, but the actual flugtag thing was a bit meh, we left after seeing thirty failed attempts at anything resembling gliding.

I was there with one of the kids and he wanted to stay to the bitter end. I'd have happily left after the first 20 or so as it was pretty chilly, there's only so many loopers throwing themselves off a pier I can watch, and Hector's schtick was getting a bit boring.

Good atmosphere though, the market was also jammed; shame about all the referendum canvassers.

• Advertisement

What's the story with that god awful looking ship back again in the harbour. When I first saw it there about a month ago I thought it would only be there for a few days or a week at the most but it's still there after a stint out in the bay during the Flugtag adding little to the local economy coming into the peak tourist season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's the story with that god awful looking ship back again in the harbour. When I first saw it there about a month ago I thought it would only be there for a few days or a week at the most but it's still there after a stint out in the bay during the Flugtag adding little to the local economy coming into the peak tourist season.
    I wouldn’t call it awful looking. I actually quite like seen a ship of that size so n the harbour, after all that’s what it was designed for.

Asfaik it was on charter to Stena , but the contract expired a while back. It was berthed in Dublin port but was kicked out as they needed the berth

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/39165-stena-ship-remains-docked-in-dun-laoghaire-where-howth-ferry-is-the-only-operator-in-town

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call it awful looking. I actually quite like seen a ship of that size so n the harbour, after all that’s what it was designed for.

Asfaik it was on charter to Stena , but the contract expired a while back. It was berthed in Dublin port but was kicked out as they needed the berth

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/39165-stena-ship-remains-docked-in-dun-laoghaire-where-howth-ferry-is-the-only-operator-in-town

So it could be there for the long run by the sounds of what your saying. I wouldn't mind it for a few days but leaving it there for weeks on end is a bit much especially for a town which is trying to become a tourist destination at the moment. A large industrial ship doesn't belong in picturesque seaside town in my opinion.

I know Dun Laoghaire is traditionally a working harbour but that was many years ago now. DL is very much a pleasure harbour nowadays I know there was the HSS but that was quite an attractive ship compared to this rustbucket.

So it could be there for the long run by the sounds of what your saying. I wouldn't mind it for a few days but leaving it there for weeks on end is a bit much especially for a town which is trying to become a tourist destination at the moment. A large industrial ship doesn't belong in picturesque seaside town in my opinion.

I know Dun Laoghaire is traditionally a working harbour but that was many years ago now. DL is very much a pleasure harbour nowadays I know there was the HSS but that was quite an attractive ship compared to this rustbucket.

Jesus you would have been horrified to see up to three ferries running in and out of DL back in the 80s! Maybe if they charged the east pier walkers a euro a go they could get rid of the "rustbucket"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I don't get the "shock, horror".

It's a ship. In a harbour. :confused:

I'd rather look at that than the library. Monster of a ship and great to see at the pier.

They were doing maintenance work on it yesterday lunchtime when I was out on a stroll so it's not just sitting idle there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I never heard such rubbish in my life, its the same nonsense on the "You know Youre from DL" facebook page. Its a feckin harbour. Half the shops up the main street are decaying and very few from the locality can afford to buy a home where they grew up and people are losing their s**t over a ship, in a harbour of all places!! Ridiculous DL Nimbyism knows no limits....

For the record, DL Harbour Company still look for suitable commercial traffic to generate revenue. All the silos for the Guinness site upgrade were brought in through DL 5 or 6 years ago, you still see dredgers and small cruise ships coming and going. Its not as if they are going to mount this vessel in concrete and leave it permanently as modern art!!!

Feel free to go down today with your eyes wide open Stephen15. The ship is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Mig wrote: »
    Feel free to go down today with your eyes wide open Stephen15. The ship is gone!

gone from the anchorage in the bay as well, I miss it already :)

Advertisement