Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Rasam if you fancy an upmarket Indian, Delhi Rasoi if you fancy a decent but slightly cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

pm1977x wrote: »
    Rasam if you fancy an upmarket Indian, Delhi Rasoi if you fancy a decent but slightly cheaper one.

Rasam is a great shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Delhi Rasoi is fab. Best samosas ever, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Haddington/Oliveto, Hartleys and Casper Giumbinis. And the Sunday market. Sorted.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

64 wines is hard to beat for a well balanced meal.

Which to me means two bottles of red wine and a meat platter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

We ate in Odell's in Sandycove last night. Comfortably the best meal I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I see that DLRCC has been allocated an additional €9m for cycling and walking infrastructure. To be completed by end November.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cycling-walking-funding-nta-5182821-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mav11 wrote: »
    I see that DLRCC has been allocated an additional €9m for cycling and walking infrastructure. To be completed by end November.

I wonder have they started spending that on the inbound N11 between Fosters Ave. and UCD? There's already a cycle lane there. And a monitor with an LED counter to show the cynics that it's being used.

But now there's roadworks going on in the inside lane, was on the 46A yesterday and we had to drive around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

coylemj wrote: »
    I wonder have they started spending that on the inbound N11 between Fosters Ave. and UCD? There's already a cycle lane there. And a monitor with an LED counter to show the cynics that it's being used.

But now there's roadworks going on in the inside lane, was on the 46A yesterday and we had to drive around them.

I think the plan is for that section to be two-way (could be wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

There is a very poor cycle path there. Not a lane. Brings pedestrians and cyclists into conflict at bus stops so a segregated lane would be a big improvement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3054601,-6.2113689,3a,75y,261.41h,90.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smnG6LBczboWAw9Xm4bJ0rA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

They need to spend some of that on the Leopardstown Road cycle rollercoaster, it's in a woeful state and cyclists wont use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They need to spend some of that on the Leopardstown Road cycle rollercoaster, it's in a woeful state and cyclists wont use it.

At the time that road was rebuilt in the mid-90s, a number of well resourced residents banded together and went to court to preserve certain large trees on private property rather than have them removed for the road widening scheme. Essentially a very expensive bespoke cocoon was built around the root systems at certain points, where the corridor of the new road was at the absolute minimum and so the cycle path out of necessity was raised up and over these. There is no way of levelling them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Larbre34 wrote: »
    At the time that road was rebuilt in the mid-90s, a number of well resourced residents banded together and went to court to preserve certain large trees on private property rather than have them removed for the road widening scheme. Essentially a very expensive bespoke cocoon was built around the root systems at certain points, where the corridor of the new road was at the absolute minimum and so the cycle path out of necessity was raised up and over these. There is no way of levelling them now.

Its not just "the hump" as it's known locally, the whole section from Whites Cross to Laura Lynn on both sides needs looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

The surface on that section was in rag order and the layout poor. It needed upgrading.

You know UCD is the largest campus in .Ireland. And the existing cycle lane is piss poor.

Providing a decent cycle lane will reduce traffic on the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its not just "the hump" as it's known locally, the whole section from Whites Cross to Laura Lynn on both sides needs looking at.
    Yeah, the hump does not bother me much, it would be nice if on the exit of it the cycle lane ran right onto the next road, instead you are meant to turn and cross with pedestrians, many people will just hop off the path and up on the next. I wonder if there was ever an accident there.

Then many of the driveways have very sharp dips and so pedestrians tend to walk on the cycletrack so many speedier cyclists just stick to the road. Many also do this so they can pass along the Torquay road junction without having to stop with pedestrians as before.

The various traffic poles and electrical box opposite Torquay road are also an accident waiting to happen. The traffic lights could have been nearer to the kerb, or ideally be mounted to the electrical poles or have new poles against the wall
    https://goo.gl/maps/aUagoymj5i277q2P7

If there are dedicated cycle paths should cyclists be confined to them rather than choosing to use them or the road ?

I know at present they aren’t but if we move to a phase of building more infrastructure something like that would make sense I think .

Cyrus wrote: »
    If there are dedicated cycle paths should cyclists be confined to them rather than choosing to use them or the road ?

I know at present they aren’t but if we move to a phase of building more infrastructure something like that would make sense I think .

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

That's a perfectly reasonable question to ask, especially if you are a non-cyclist.

The question I always ask in response is "why do you think a cyclist might choose to use the road rather than a particular cycle path/lane?"

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Those works were planned prior to Covid. UCD are putting a new pedestrian and cyclist entrance by the pedestrian bridge so DLRCC taking the opportunity to improve the cycle lane between the Rise and that bridge.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/works-commence-stillorgan-road-cycle-scheme

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, the hump does not bother me much, it would be nice if on the exit of it the cycle lane ran right onto the next road, instead you are meant to turn and cross with pedestrians, many people will just hop off the path and up on the next. I wonder if there was ever an accident there.

Then many of the driveways have very sharp dips and so pedestrians tend to walk on the cycletrack so many speedier cyclists just stick to the road. Many also do this so they can pass along the Torquay road junction without having to stop with pedestrians as before.

The various traffic poles and electrical box opposite Torquay road are also an accident waiting to happen. The traffic lights could have been nearer to the kerb, or ideally be mounted to the electrical poles or have new poles against the wall
    https://goo.gl/maps/aUagoymj5i277q2P7

I haven't used that cycle track for years. I simply stay on the road. It's a great example of lip-service infrastructure designed by someone who will never use it.

Hopefully the quality of the most recent works will be of a standard that people will want to use them.

And hopefully the new infrastructure will continue to be maintained to a decent standard too. I don't think people get how important that is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cycling forum is this way -->

JayRoc wrote: »
    That's a perfectly reasonable question to ask, especially if you are a non-cyclist.

The question I always ask in response is "why do you think a cyclist might choose to use the road rather than a particular cycle path/lane?"

Not sure but if there is dedicated cycle infrastructure it should be used imo otherwise why spend the money .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Not sure but if there is dedicated cycle infrastructure it should be used imo otherwise why spend the money .

As long as it's safe, clean and well maintained, cyclists will use it. Otherwise they will use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why spend the money indeed, it is sickening to see so much money pissed away on lanes which were very unlikely to be used a lot. You would think they would be consulting people about potential problems, but obviously they do not.

If lane 1 on motorways was traditionally full of potholes & broken glass, random pedestrians, parked cars, dogs, traffic poles then people would stick to the other lanes.

Cycle lanes were mandatory at one stage, they changed the law so unlikely to go back, esp. when so many are so dangerous to actually use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Larbre34 wrote: »

Didn't they manage to level the cycle path between Whites Cross and Foxrock Church? It used to go up and down considerably. Maybe there is some scope for Leopardstown Road?

I'm not sure you're getting what I am saying; basically I am suggesting that when cyclists use a road rather than a cycle path it's because the cycle path is not fit for purpose. Otherwise they would obviously use it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

rubadub wrote: »
    Why spend the money indeed, it is sickening to see so much money pissed away on lanes which were very unlikely to be used a lot. .

Like a 3 lane M50/M7 etc where only the middle and right lanes are used... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

RosieJoe wrote: »

It's not just cyclists, with a buggy it's a bloody pain all the dips at each driveway. Some really steep and severe too.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »

Fair enough, but it's natural enough that some of the conversation here will be about the new road layout and cycling infrastucture though, as it is the main Dun Laoghaire topic of discussion for most people currently as far as I can tell.

Advertisement