Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m not surprised sarcasm is lost on you ;):D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

See post #1048

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

There was a piece on Pat Kenny this morning, just before 10, on the new cycle lanes on Strand Rd and Seapoint Ave. For the most part the public attitude to Seapoint Ave was largely positive whilst that for Strand Rd was overwhelmingly negative due to the impact on traffic passing through Sandymount village.

Mav11 wrote: »
    There was a piece on Pat Kenny this morning, just before 10, on the new cycle lanes on Strand Rd and Seapoint Ave. For the most part the public attitude to Seapoint Ave was largely positive whilst that for Strand Rd was overwhelmingly negative due to the impact on traffic passing through Sandymount village.

seapoint avenue still causing confusion in blackrock, i was behind two or three cars at the weekend trying to turn down, then some hero on a motorbike was heading down and some woman jumped out in front of him roaring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't understand why the residents of Monkstown village aren't going mad about the DL new arrangements!

I regularly travel to DL harbour, and Monkstown is just a backed-up traffic mess these days.

I have no doubt the cycle lane on Seapoint Ave is a joy to use, but my goodness the knock-on effect on Monkstown is awful.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    seapoint avenue still causing confusion in blackrock, i was behind two or three cars at the weekend trying to turn down, then some hero on a motorbike was heading down and some woman jumped out in front of him roaring :D

Great entertainment!!!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't understand why the residents of Monkstown village aren't going mad about the DL new arrangements!

I regularly travel to DL harbour, and Monkstown is just a backed-up traffic mess these days.

I have no doubt the cycle lane on Seapoint Ave is a joy to use, but my goodness the knock-on effect on Monkstown is awful.

both monkstown and DL are a disaster traffic wise now, which will worsen into the winter as the fair weather cyclists lose interest.

just listened, to be fair the sandymount one is a shocker, strand road is pretty bad as it is, and there is a promenade there that could be used anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

both monkstown and DL are a disaster traffic wise now, which will worsen into the winter as the fair weather cyclists lose interest.

No they're not. I travel by bike and car through Monkstown and Dun Laoghaire every day on the school runs. Monkstown Village is no worse than it ever was. Tivoli Road was getting quite bad but they changed the light sequence at York rd/Mounttown Rd junction and that's made a huge difference.

I travel by bike and car through Monkstown and Dun Laoghaire every day on the school runs.

impressive :eek:

joking aside i notice a significant difference but i only drive that way at weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Yep - I work in Dun Laoghaire and myself and the vast majority of people in the office (some of whom also live in the area) are really noticing that traffic is a disaster in the area now.

As an aside the garage by the Purty Kitchens business has been so badly affected that they may not survive.

There is a current thread over in Commuting and Transport about the traffic in Newtownpark Ave gone crazy. Post #4 is interesting as it points out to a change in traffic light sequencing at the beginning of lockdown to favour pedestrians as a contributor to the problem.

Must say I have noticed very short green light sequences recently for traffic, takes forever to get through a set of lights with resultant backups.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111179

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Was in Monkstown at evening rush hour it was very quiet really. Leaving to go towards Clonkeen Road via Temple Hill was grand. There seems to be a massive after school traffic issue between 3pm and 4pm but I guess people are reluctant to put kids on busses in week 1 and are collecting. This will probably ease. The traffic light sequencing changes seems to be the major issue that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hayoc wrote: »
    Yep - I work in Dun Laoghaire and myself and the vast majority of people in the office (some of whom also live in the area) are really noticing that traffic is a disaster in the area now.

As an aside the garage by the Purty Kitchens business has been so badly affected that they may not survive.
    No loss there , not a great petrol station. Have the office staff just returned? It was bad before the bike lane as they changed the light sequence and only a few cars get through. Why don’t they try cycling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Given that they set up the piece with the tired ould UK tabloid cliche of 'war on cars', and given the historical anti-cycling attitudes of Newstalk in general and Kenny in particular, let's not pretend that this was anything near impartial reporting.

kenny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

impressive :eek:

joking aside i notice a significant difference but i only drive that way at weekends

Nothing impressive about it. I usually bike with the kids in the trailer and if it's lashing I drive. First morning I had to drive I thought it would be chaos with all the talk of the traffic so left super early. Took less than 10 mins so we were sitting outside the school for another 15 before we could go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah talking to a few party hacks I know through my own work, the pressure from County Councillors on the Council executive is going to increase greatly in the next while to remove the "temporary" cycleways, especially as the weather deteriorates and the days get shorter.

There really is no justification for the congestion being caused by the measures being left in place.

Larbre34 wrote: »

There really is no justification for the congestion being caused by the measures being left in place.

It cars that are causing the congestion. And also the sequence of the light.

What party are these hacks in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah talking to a few party hacks I know through my own work, the pressure from County Councillors on the Council executive is going to increase greatly in the next while to remove the "temporary" cycleways, especially as the weather deteriorates and the days get shorter.

Bit strange though how no Councillor has said anything like that in public, afaik. Do they not have the courage of their convictions?

ted1 wrote: »
    No loss there , not a great petrol station. Have the office staff just returned? It was bad before the bike lane as they changed the light sequence and only a few cars get through. Why don’t they try cycling ?

Im sure itll be a loss to the staff and business owner.

We have had staff in and out throughout lockdown. Many people do cycle, and walk, but they have eyes - they can see the traffic is a disaster as a result of this.

It hasnt impacted me personally as I do odd hours in the office, just calling it as I see it. Disaster.

• Advertisement

We have had staff in and out throughout lockdown. Many people do cycle, and walk, but they have eyes - they can see the traffic is a disaster as a result of this.

It hasnt impacted me personally as I do odd hours in the office, just calling it as I see it. Disaster.

They were always very expensive in terms of fuel prices, perhaps if they had been more competitive then they would have been more viable.

Traffic in the area has always been disastrous, there are simply too many cars on the roads in Irish cities. In this instance it seems to me that the increased traffic backups are more a function of the changes to traffic light sequencing, than the cycle lanes.

They were always very expensive in terms of fuel prices, perhaps if they had been more competitive then they would have been more viable.

Traffic in the area has always been disastrous, there are simply too many cars on the roads in Irish cities. In this instance it seems to me that the increased traffic backups are more a function of the changes to traffic light sequencing, than the cycle lanes.

Eh - the coast road is now one way the entire way - so all the traffic from there has been pushed back into the local towns and surrounds. It was fine last summer. Its not been fine since the one way came in.

Its nonsensical to suggest that the traffic issues that are now occurring from Blackrock as far as Sandycove and up as far as Sallynoggin are because of a change to traffic light sequencing - unless every single traffic light in the entire area has suddenly changed.

Eh - the coast road is now one way the entire way - so all the traffic from there has been pushed back into the local towns and surrounds. It was fine last summer. Its not been fine since the one way came in.

Its nonsensical to suggest that the traffic issues that are now occurring from Blackrock as far as Sandycove and up as far as Sallynoggin are because of a change to traffic light sequencing - unless every single traffic light in the entire area has suddenly changed.

See previous posts, they have not suddenly changed, the changes were implemented at the beginning of lockdown to favour pedestrians.

This is not a binary issue, or the fault of any one particular initiative. You also have to remember that the reduction in public transport and peoples reluctance to take the bus or Dart, is contributing to increased traffic.

Nothing impressive about it. I usually bike with the kids in the trailer and if it's lashing I drive. First morning I had to drive I thought it would be chaos with all the talk of the traffic so left super early. Took less than 10 mins so we were sitting outside the school for another 15 before we could go in.
    the way you wrote it it looked like you were both cycling and driving simultaneously

i was having a joke, although they dont appear that welcome with the cyclists it seems :P

See previous posts, they have not suddenly changed, the changes were implemented at the beginning of lockdown to favour pedestrians.

This is not a binary issue, or the fault of any one particular initiative. You also have to remember that the reduction in public transport and peoples reluctance to take the bus or Dart, is contributing to increased traffic.

Its true that there is a lack of people using public transport, however, its also true that many businesses in the area still only have limited staff in the office so there is less traffic in the area from that - and yet still its become a disaster.

Its true that there is a lack of people using public transport, however, its also true that many businesses in the area still only have limited staff in the office so there is less traffic in the area from that - and yet still its become a disaster.

DL is largely residential. You could argue that with more people WFH and poping down the shops or other such activities during the day, is leading to an increase in local traffic. Less people heading off to the office at 7:30 and not getting back until 6:30 leads to more local activity. One could argue!!!!

Traffic is a disaster because of cars , if those people where around before the cycle lane started they’d have seen that it’s the traffic lights causing the problems.
    Also the front driver looking at his phone doesn’t help

That garage is one of the dearest around. It goes back to having the luxury of having people fill up before and after the board/depart the ferry. When that stopped they kept up the high prices.
    Maybe they could diversify and add seating. Bike pump and encourage cyclists to stop there

ted1 wrote: »
    Traffic is a disaster because of cars , if those people where around before the cycle lane started they’d have seen that it’s the traffic lights causing the problems.
    Also the front driver looking at his phone doesn’t help

sorry i dont understand the point, traffic is a disaster because of cars?

Generally the people referring to traffic are referring to cars, the cars that were there before all of this when traffic wasnt as bad.

Saying traffic is a disaster because of cars isnt making sense to me.

the changes in the light signals arent helping but one assumes that there is a link between that and the push on cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Culture Night coming up, and this may be of interest:

Short by by young people from Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown

• Advertisement

sorry i dont understand the point, traffic is a disaster because of cars?

Generally the people referring to traffic are referring to cars, the cars that were there before all of this when traffic wasnt as bad.

Saying traffic is a disaster because of cars isnt making sense to me.

the changes in the light signals arent helping but one assumes that there is a link between that and the push on cycling.

Cars are traffic. If there was no cars there would be no traffic. Fairly obvious..

If people are sitting in cars they should look out the window and see cyclists go past and then realise they should try it.

Advertisement