Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hayoc wrote: »
    Cycling isnt just dangerous because of cars on the road though?

Most of my own accidents were due to weather, stuff on the roads (ie, a nail causing a sudden puncture), and badly maintained roads (potholes).

How many accidents did you have ?
    Cars and HGVs are by far the the biggest danger on the road.They kill several people a week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There has always been a tailback at those lights. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ridiculous to blame it on cycle lanes. There's not even a painted cycle lane on that road.

As for your power grab comment I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling but I hope you are

My last 15 years of commuting must be a dream so, because I've never had so much time to admire the various shopfronts along the route as I have in the last week. The fact that traffic to and from DL town has increased dramatically along the remaining arteries cannot be disputed, but is being both ignored and tolerated by a vocal minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Can we not just stick to the thread topic? How hard is it to self moderate? Talking about the cycle lanes in DL, fair enough. But here we go again with off topic conversations that have been done to death elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

ted1 wrote: »
    How many accidents did you have ?
    Cars and HGVs are by far the the biggest danger on the road.They kill several people a week

Gosh, I really cant recall, I cycled for about 7-8 years in total (broken up over 2 different jobs). I recall one bad accident where an ambulance was called because I was knocked out cold (black ice) and a whole variety of minors ones where I came off the bike but was able to get back on ok with just skinned knees/hands or minor bits and pieces, also times when I was ok but the bike wasnt.

Actually, I didnt use roads for a lot of the trip, there was (could be gone now) an old disused laneway that cut through countryside for a good portion of it so I avoided roads by using that - never had an accident on that laneway though!

Its a long time ago now, I havent cycled to work in over 10 years. I dont even use the stationary bikes in the gym because its just not an activity I enjoy.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    My last 15 years of commuting must be a dream so, because I've never had so much time to admire the various shopfronts along the route as I have in the last week. The fact that traffic to and from DL town has increased dramatically along the remaining arteries cannot be disputed, but is being both ignored and tolerated by a vocal minority.

It’s great for those businesses, people who would use the sea front are now passing their business. There seems to be a vocal crowd opposed to it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Can we not just stick to the thread topic? How hard is it to self moderate? Talking about the cycle lanes in DL, fair enough.

Tbf there hasn't been any discussion on any topic in 2 weeks, if there is something you would like to talk about, fire away!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It’s great for those businesses, people who would use the sea front are now passing their business. There seems to be a vocal crowd opposed to it to.

The shops that are closed as it's before 9am like?

JayRoc wrote: »
    if there is something you would like to talk about
    Actually on that note, there seems to be a lot of work going on in the park and the waste ground between Blackrock and Booterstown. Anyone know what's being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyrus wrote: »
    What are the benefits exactly?

Exercise - sure its a bit but you need a long cycle to get any proper exercise in

We could start with the near halving in cancer rates for those who cycle to work.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

Cycling is never going to be for everyone.

Driving is never going to be for everyone.

So no more road building, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

We are moving to Dun Laoghaire in the near future, just waiting for our house to be built.

I for one am delighted that there is better cycling infrastructure, my OH will likely be back in the bike when we do as he doesn’t drive. I would too, however, in 2016 I was run over by a HGV, lost a leg and nearly died so no don’t think I will. I also drive and walk a lot, so I’m seriously in favour of segregated cycling infrastructure, it keeps the cars, bikes & pedestrians safer, Sure it may slow down people in cars, but that’s better than accidents occurring and eye watering insurance claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We could start with the near halving in cancer rates for those who cycle to work.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

but thats not a specific benefit of cycling, its a benefit of exercising.

you know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm sick of this argument - have a look at Holland, have a look at Copenhagen, even have a look at London. The evidence is there - if you build decent cycling infrastructure, people will cycle and in large numbers. Ireland is not different. and if you don't see the obvious benefits in having lots of people cycling instead of driving then arguing with you is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm sick of this argument - have a look at Holland, have a look at Copenhagen, even have a look at London. The evidence is there - if you build decent cycling infrastructure, people will cycle and in large numbers. Ireland is not different. and if you don't see the obvious benefits in having lots of people cycling instead of driving then arguing with you is futile.

Has to be a wind up. See post #1094

Driving is never going to be for everyone.

So no more road building, right?

you got me. only the majority of people drive or take public transport and that wont become a majority of cyclists.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Has to be a wind up. See post #1094

its not a wind up, fitter people are less likely to get sick, you dont need to cycle to work to be fit, but id assume people who cycle to work tend to be fitter.

its not a wind up, fitter people are less likely to get sick, you dont need to cycle to work to be fit, but id assume people who cycle to work tend to be fitter.

I think that I'll listen to the scientific evidence on the scope and low impact nature of cycling. But it is not that one form of exercise is more beneficial than another, it is that cycling bring very specific benefits. See the article below.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-18954012

I think that I'll listen to the scientific evidence on the scope and low impact nature of cycling. But it is not that one form of exercise is more beneficial than another, it is that cycling bring very specific benefits. See the article below.

have you read it, it doesnt outline any specific benefits of cycling other than its low impact.

what about people on electric bikes then that are hardly pedalling, are you as supportive of them?

Cant disagree with the conclusion of that article.
    Prof Timmons said: "There's not a magic exercise out there. Do the exercise you enjoy the most and the exercise most likely to fit into your life."

But he warned: "You might look a bit silly in lycra."

loyatemu wrote: »

im sick of cyclists assuming that there can be no contrarian view to cycling good everything else is bad.

• Advertisement

im sick of cyclists assuming that there can be no contrarian view to cycling good everything else is bad.

I haven't seen anybody take the position that "cycling good everything else is bad". No problem either with contrarian positions, but for such a position to be taken seriously it needs to be well founded.

you know that though.

It is a benefit of cycling. It's what you asked for. There are many more benefits. That's why NHS doctors are prescribing cycling for their patients now.
    you got me. only the majority of people drive or take public transport and that wont become a majority of cyclists.
    More people cycle to work in Dublin than use DART, Luas and suburban rail combined. This is not a niche issue.
    But again, you had a problem with provision for cycling because 'not everyone will cycle'. Why don't you have a problem with roads for motorists on the same basis?
    Yes, people who cycle to work are fitter, and have halved their risk of cancer, among other benefits. Just think about the potential impact of that on our health service just for a minute.
    have you read it, it doesnt outline any specific benefits of cycling other than its low impact.

what about people on electric bikes then that are hardly pedalling, are you as supportive of them?
    Yes.
    https://electricbikeblog.com/5-important-health-benefits-electric-bikes/
    hayoc wrote: »
    Cant disagree with the conclusion of that article.
    What is the obsession with lycra all about? Lots of people wear lycra in lots of situations now. Have you had a look around you in Lidl or at the school gates.

Not so much 'everything else is bad' as 'driving an 80% empty 98% inefficient polluting tonne or two of metal for mostly short journeys' is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Less of the cycling discussion*, more about the DL issues.

*It's getting a) tiresome and b) it's largely off-topic.

lil5 wrote: »

As I said before, though, nothing else is driving discussion here. There can be a fortnight with no activity here at all, then discussion on the cycling infrastucture begins again and the thread gets lively.

Like it or not, it appears to be the only thing people want to discuss here.

And (this is not aimed at you personally!) you could argue that it's just as tiresome for people who aren't mods to keep telling other posters what topics can and cannot be discussed

lil5 wrote: »

Alright then - give us a DL issue that you have an opinion on and lets go.

It is a benefit of cycling. It's what you asked for. There are many more benefits. That's why NHS doctors are prescribing cycling for their patients now.

More people cycle to work in Dublin than use DART, Luas and suburban rail combined. This is not a niche issue.
    But again, you had a problem with provision for cycling because 'not everyone will cycle'. Why don't you have a problem with roads for motorists on the same basis?

Yes, people who cycle to work are fitter, and have halved their risk of cancer, among other benefits. Just think about the potential impact of that on our health service just for a minute.

Yes.
    https://electricbikeblog.com/5-important-health-benefits-electric-bikes/

What is the obsession with lycra all about? Lots of people wear lycra in lots of situations now. Have you had a look around you in Lidl or at the school gates.

Not so much 'everything else is bad' as 'driving an 80% empty 98% inefficient polluting tonne or two of metal for mostly short journeys' is bad.

i asked about specific benefits of cycling, exercise is beneficial i dont think anyone would argue against that, im saying cycling isnt any more beneficial than other forms.

Im sure NHS doctors prescribe swimming and walking aswell for example.

There is more recent data id wager, but this suggests that it is a niche issue:
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6mtw/

and see the above report for why drivers needs are more important than cyclists.

Finally re electric bikes, if the ebikes blogs says they are great thats me sold :pac:

Evidence says differently. Look to the Danes and Dutch but also look at the details on the link below

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-have-begun-to-outnumber-cars-in-parts-of-dublin-city/

i asked about specific benefits of cycling, exercise is beneficial i dont think anyone would argue against that, im saying cycling isnt any more beneficial than other forms.

Im sure NHS doctors prescribe swimming and walking aswell for example.

There is more recent data id wager, but this suggests that it is a niche issue:
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6mtw/

and see the above report for why drivers needs are more important than cyclists.

Finally re electric bikes, if the ebikes blogs says they are great thats me sold :pac:

Except Cyclists displace cars and as such the Air quality improves. Swimmers don’t help improve the air quality.

Except Cyclists displace cars and as such the Air quality improves. Swimmers don’t help improve the air quality.

Except the reverse is actually true.

Cyclists displace cars from some roads to form long lines of traffic queues on other roads, causing the cars to run for longer emitting more fumes than if theyd just gone from A to B without delay.

• Advertisement

Evidence says differently. Look to the Danes and Dutch but also look at the details on the link below

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-have-begun-to-outnumber-cars-in-parts-of-dublin-city/

the cso report isnt evidence?

Advertisement