Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

hayoc wrote: »
    Alright then - give us a DL issue that you have an opinion on and lets go.

The removal of the Seapoint cycle lane and the reinstatement of the pre-Covid traffic light sequences? ;)
    Only joking...

Has the renewed focus on illegal parking on paths & cycle lanes made any impact yet?
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/dlr-renew-focus-illegal-parking-paths-cycle-lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ted1 wrote: »
    Except Cyclists displace cars and as such the Air quality improves. Swimmers don’t help improve the air quality.

thats tangential

everyone just get an electric car then, same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Cyrus wrote: »
    have you read it, it doesnt outline any specific benefits of cycling other than its low impact.

But what did the Romans ever do for us apart from..............................?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i asked about specific benefits of cycling, exercise is beneficial i dont think anyone would argue against that, im saying cycling isnt any more beneficial than other forms.

Im sure NHS doctors prescribe swimming and walking aswell for example.

There is more recent data id wager, but this suggests that it is a niche issue:
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6mtw/

and see the above report for why drivers needs are more important than cyclists.

Finally re electric bikes, if the ebikes blogs says they are great thats me sold :pac:

No, you didn't ask about specific benefits of cycling. You asked about benefits of cycling. You're now into pedantic nitpicking because you really don't details of the many benefits of cycling being aired, because of your own personal prejudices.

If you're sure about the NHS prescribing practices, you'll have no difficulty presenting some evidence of that, right?
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/doctors-to-prescribe-bikes-on-nhs-under-plan-to-boost-active-travel-a4509996.html

It is the CSO Census 2016 data that shows that more people commute by bicycle than by Luas, DART and suburban rail combined.
    https://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

'Drivers needs are more important than cyclists' - well if that doesn't personify self-entitlement, then what does?

Finally, re electric bikes - try reading some of the independent peer-reviewed research reports quoted in that article, and then see what you can scoff about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

thats tangential

everyone just get an electric car then, same result.

That’s help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Alright then - give us a DL issue that you have an opinion on and lets go.

I'd rather less posts relevant to a thread than a bombardment of rubbish that belongs elsewhere, in this case the cycling forum.

Except the reverse is actually true.

Cyclists displace cars from some roads to form long lines of traffic queues on other roads, causing the cars to run for longer emitting more fumes than if theyd just gone from A to B without delay.

No cyclists displace cars because it takes people out of cars. If cyclists stopped cycling you’d have a lot more cars on the road.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'd rather less posts relevant to a thread than a bombardment of rubbish that belongs elsewhere, in this case the cycling forum.

No, the thread addresses issues relevant to DL, in this case the new cycling infrastructure, to which cycling related issues are pertinent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

No cyclists displace cars because it takes people out of cars. If cyclists stopped cycling you’d have a lot more cars on the road.

Would you?

How many cyclists also have cars that they have stopped driving in favour of the bike?

the cso report isnt evidence?

The CSO data is old. And focuses more on the country than Cities. However down the bottom there a small bit on Dublin which says motorist a count for 44%. Which puts them
    In the minority when compared to substantial travel like cycling or Public transport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

lil5 wrote: »
    The removal of the Seapoint cycle lane and the reinstatement of the pre-Covid traffic light sequences? ;)
    Only joking...

Has the renewed focus on illegal parking on paths & cycle lanes made any impact yet?
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/dlr-renew-focus-illegal-parking-paths-cycle-lanes

The "temporary" nature of the seafront cycle lanes certainly make for an interesting debate around the application of the Road Traffic Acts vis-a-vis cars parking on them.

Would you?

How many cyclists also have cars that they have stopped driving in favour of the bike?

At least one, me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Would you?

Honestly, at this stage anyone who has any interest in traffic / transport will know that active and public transport are by far the most effective ways of reducing traffic, and more lanes / more roads causes more traffic.

Also, I have used those bike lanes a good bit now, and they get a lot of use (often by people who ordinarily would not be out on their bike)

Mav11 wrote: »
    At least one, me.

I have a car sitting outside but cycle instead of using it

Im sure a lot of cyclists go on to become drivers and then give up the bike. Of the people who cycle to work in my building (very few), all but 2 are younger people who dont know how to drive yet.

That’s at least 2 :D

That’s at least 2 :D

Ill provide balance, when I was able to afford a car I stopped cycling.

Still 2:1 in favour of those who have given up the car over those who have given up the bike.

Still 2:1 in favour of those who have given up the car over those who have given up the bike.

3 of our staff did the Bike to Work scheme and gave up after a couple of go's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Ditto. Afaik most adult cyclists are also car owners.

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »
    Ditto. Afaik most adult cyclists are also car owners.

So they are not really displacing cars then.

They are when they ride their bikes surely?!

One of my bikes worth more than many cars ;)

Are you really that stupid ?

3 of our staff did the Bike to Work scheme and gave up after a couple of go's :D

I hear you.

Tbh the way I look at it, there are three types of people; there are people like me who will always use the bike as their primary mode of transport.

There are people for whom a bike is just never going to be an option.

And there are people (like your colleagues) who aren't sure but are motivated to give the bike a try and would like to be more active etc.

I see the new infrastucture as being primarily aimed at the third group, those who will continue to cycle if they find it pleasant and stress-free and feels safe; familes, kids, older people, first-timers etc. Not the archetypal "cycling nazi".

And this is the kind of user I see the most on the new infrastructure. So I reckon it's done its job. Happy days.

Are you really that stupid ?

I dont think personal attacks are the best way to get your point across?

lil5 wrote: »

Also I have yet to see any renewed focus in DLRCC on footpath parking. It's a fecking epidemic.

I had to bawl out a van driver earlier today when a wheelchair user couldn't get past. He had parked on the path and contraflow lane.

JayRoc wrote: »
    Also I have yet to see any renewed focus in DLRCC on footpath parking. It's a fecking epidemic.

I had to bawl out a van driver earlier today when a wheelchair user couldn't get past. He had parked on the path and contraflow lane.

They stopped it at Marlay Park during lockdown when the park carparks were closed. Put yellow Garda tape all along the stretch people were parking on.

Apparently though, it was people who were parking to go to work - so they must use the park car park normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No, you didn't ask about specific benefits of cycling. You asked about benefits of cycling. You're now into pedantic nitpicking because you really don't details of the many benefits of cycling being aired, because of your own personal prejudices.

If you're sure about the NHS prescribing practices, you'll have no difficulty presenting some evidence of that, right?
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/doctors-to-prescribe-bikes-on-nhs-under-plan-to-boost-active-travel-a4509996.html

It is the CSO Census 2016 data that shows that more people commute by bicycle than by Luas, DART and suburban rail combined.
    https://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

'Drivers needs are more important than cyclists' - well if that doesn't personify self-entitlement, then what does?

Finally, re electric bikes - try reading some of the independent peer-reviewed research reports quoted in that article, and then see what you can scoff about.

I did ask about the specific benefits of cycling actually because any of the benefits posted are benefits of exercise, not only cycling.

And im not sure what you think my prejudices are, so ill repeat it for you, i dont drive to work, i drive very little, as a family we do about 6,000 miles a year.

The NHS prescribing cycling is a govt initiative not a medical one. So its not being driven by the doctors. But of course any doctor would recommend physical exercise for their patients, thats just common sense.

One the CSO survey, its self evident if you put your outrage to one side, the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few, suggesting that drivers needs are more important than the 3% of people that commute by bike isnt self entitlement its common sense.

Finally re electric bikes i read a bit more of that article and lo and behold the main jist is if you get sedantry people to do a little exercise they will be healthier, you could have knocked me over with a feather. They just happened to give them e bikes, if they asked them to walk the pier in dun laoghaire every day out and bike the results would be the same.

• Advertisement

I did ask about the specific benefits of cycling actually because any of the benefits posted are benefits of exercise, not only cycling.

And im not sure what you think my prejudices are, so ill repeat it for you, i dont drive to work, i drive very little, as a family we do about 6,000 miles a year.

The NHS prescribing cycling is a govt initiative not a medical one. So its not being driven by the doctors. But of course any doctor would recommend physical exercise for their patients, thats just common sense.

One the CSO survey, its self evident if you put your outrage to one side, the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few, suggesting that drivers needs are more important than the 3% of people that commute by bike isnt self entitlement its common sense.

Finally re electric bikes i read a bit more of that article and lo and behold the main jist is if you get sedantry people to do a little exercise they will be healthier, you could have knocked me over with a feather. They just happened to give them e bikes, if they asked them to walk the pier in dun laoghaire every day out and bike the results would be the same.

Coincidentally 43 mins ago in the Journal. Seems all good to me. QED:)

https://www.thejournal.ie/cso-cyclists-less-likely-to-receive-illness-benefit-5200243-Sep2020/

Advertisement