Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

It's a lovely place to be. I used it a good few times a couple of years ago as a place to go and study for college exams - it was really nice to sit at a desk looking out to the sea and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

...it was really nice to sit at a desk looking out to the sea and work...

Lighthouse keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a lovely place to be. I used it a good few times a couple of years ago as a place to go and study for college exams - it was really nice to sit at a desk looking out to the sea and work.

But you’d have the same view from a building that cost 36 million less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Mav11 wrote: »
    Away from the topic of cycle lanes and traffic, the new library must be up 5 years now, at a cost of €37m, was it worth it?

I would have liked it done on less grander scale and used some of the budget to do the old baths up with a proper outdoor swimming facility now that would have been great.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

ted1 wrote: »

That was always kind of my point. Most of what people seem to like about the library is stuff that isn't library-related at all. Really they could have built a community centre on the site for, what, a million? Done up the Carnegie library for a couple hundred thousand. And boom.

No echoing ugly modern building that is primarily empty space that cost us almost 40 million quid.

....I appreciate that I must sound very negative. I love libraries, I love Dun Laoghaire, I just cannot drum up enthusiasm about this place no matter how hard I try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For one million they would've probably been able to afford to install a tall slide or a helter skelter. Actually thats not true, the cost of decontaminating the ****heap of a park and filthy drain pond that was there before would've cost over a million on its own.

I didn't like the architecture at first but it has settled into its location pretty well and no one can deny the success of the facility as a public amenity, it tops pretty much any municipal library and exhibition space in the Country and gets something like 6 million users through the door annually, in normal times at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 br8

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quite right. And the S2S never envisaged removing great chunks of regional and national roads to deliver it. Dublin City Council and DLRC would do well to remember that, railroading stuff by using an unconnected health crisis won't be tolerated.

Here's a link of the Blackrock to Seapoint section of the DLRCC S2S proposed coastal cycleway;
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2018_-_preferrred_route_-_section_6_0.pdf

This was done in 2018 and public consultation was to begin in 2020?????

Covid 19 = No Public Consultation????

• Registered Users Posts: 23 br8

br8 wrote: »
    Here's a link of the Blackrock to Seapoint section of the DLRCC S2S proposed coastal cycleway;
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2018_-_preferrred_route_-_section_6_0.pdf

This was done in 2018 and public consultation was to begin in 2020?????

Covid 19 = No Public Consultation????

In Fairness, DLRCC also had a feasibility study done in 2015 which recommended making Seapoint Ave one-way as most cost effective (cheapest) way of making the S2S from Blackrock to Seapoint.
    But, as stated above, there was never any public consultation.

The one way system from Newtown Ave to Forty Foot may be the best means for S2S.
    However, is it right that some temporary measures care of Covid 19 are used by a few to bypass Public Consultation to get through a pet project?
    Or has this 'back door' effort just created a bigger divide between ALL commuters? i.e., just making a bigger divide between car drivers and cyclists.

And yes, these are just opinions of mine! We all have them. No need to shoot me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

DLRCC have said repeatedly that if these Covid emergency measures are to be adopted long term there will be a consultation process.

I am sure they are hoping that people will get to like them during the Covid emergency period but there will be a consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

New open space area planned for Dun laoghaire

https://twitter.com/dunlaoghairecra/status/1304738662870069249?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Finally! The place is so grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Taking down the three eyesores will really open the area up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How are the big delivery trucks like DHL going to come into Bloomfields with their curtainside/refridgerated trailers hooked up to them?

They won a major distribution contract over Eddie Stobart in 2016 with Tesco to deliver their food/electrical/clothing products to their supermarkets.

Turning right into Dunphy's Corner is usually the only way they can get into Bloomfields.

The taxi drivers would also be inconvenienced by losing their taxi rank near St Michael's Hospital.

How are the big delivery trucks like Eddie Stobart going to come into Bloomfields with their curtainside trailers hooked up to them?

Turning right into Dunphy's Corner is usually the only way they can get into Bloomfields.

Is there not an official goods entrance at the rear where the side entrance to the cinema is ?

Is there not an official goods entrance at the rear where the side entrance to the cinema is ?

Only for the cinema itself.

Fair dues to DLR for taking that area on, but I'm old enough to remember the war that took place around the building of Bloomfields and the fight to keep heavy goods traffic off the Library Road /Convent Road area. And rightly so.

The biggest problem with that area is that the Bloomfields site itself was a pure poxy design. The traffic solutions will be a major challenge, especially at the cinema, IMC won't be happy at all to see their front forecourt with heavy traffic right up to the door.

Hopefully it can be made to work, but I don't l know what the story is with the name Myrtle Square? There is Myrtle Park at the top of DL behind Royal Terrace, thats got to be unnecessarily confusing for locals and visitors alike. Also it sounds like a woman born in 1850, surely the Councillors can push for something a bit more contemporary and forward looking than that. Maybe a dedication to our health care workers in front of the Hospital in these difficult years?

It’d be a great opportunity to reverse the flow of traffic on the One way stretch so that you can go directly from Monkstown to Dun Laoighre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Fair dues to DLR for taking that area on, but I'm old enough to remember the war that took place around the building of Bloomfields and the fight to keep heavy goods traffic off the Library Road /Convent Road area. And rightly so.

The biggest problem with that area is that the Bloomfields site itself was a pure poxy design. The traffic solutions will be a major challenge, especially at the cinema, IMC won't be happy at all to see their front forecourt with heavy traffic right up to the door.

Hopefully it can be made to work, but I don't l know what the story is with the name Myrtle Square? There is Myrtle Park at the top of DL behind Royal Terrace, thats got to be unnecessarily confusing for locals and visitors alike. Also it sounds like a woman born in 1850, surely the Councillors can push for something a bit more contemporary and forward looking than that. Maybe a dedication to our health care workers in front of the Hospital in these difficult years?

Maybe the Plaza could have a name like St Michael's Square as a fitting tribute to those working in the Hospital across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe the Plaza could have a name like St Michael's Square as a fitting tribute to those working in the Hospital across the road.
    Maybe we could find a way to pay tribute to those in the hospital without continuing to name our public spaces after mythical figures that have no relevance to much of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Maybe we could find a way to pay tribute to those in the hospital without continuing to name our public spaces after mythical figures that have no relevance to much of the population?

St. Michael would be more appropriate than Myrtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just got a text from my sister , she and her husband took their daughter down to the pier for a walk and an ice cream, it has taken them 50 minutes to get from the harbour car park to scrum diddlys , I’m sure someone will be along to tell me why that’s ok but it really isn’t .

There is no need for that at 6pm on a Sunday evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just got a text from my sister , she and her husband took their daughter down to the pier for a walk and an ice cream, it has taken them 50 minutes to get from the harbour car park to scrum diddlys , I’m sure someone will be along to tell me why that’s ok but it really isn’t .

I was in DL at about 3pm it was mobbed. It was the busiest I had ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Awaaf wrote: »

I’m sure last good day of the year but it was never that congested leaving or anything like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

maybe Charles haughey place

Awaaf wrote: »

I have never, ever seen the Peoples Park market and the surrounding areas as busy as I saw them today.

Hundreds of users all the way along the bike lanes from Blackrock to Dun Laoghaire and the other way. Great to see

I am in Peoples Park every Sunday for years and I have always wondered why people insist on driving into the coast road area on Sundays. It's always tailbacks as far as the eye can see after 2pm.

This is honestly nothing new. I don't get it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

JayRoc wrote: »
    I am in Peoples Park every Sunday for years and I have always wondered why people insist on driving into the coast road area on Sundays. It's always tailbacks as far as the eye can see after 2pm.

This is honestly nothing new. I don't get it myself

Dart, bus, bikes. There's loads of ways to get there but people insist on cars and then are surprised when there's tailbacks.

Weekends are extremely busy in Dun Laoghaire now, I tried to get a walk in lunch table yesterday and three out of four places were full even at 3pm. Good for them. Even weekdays seem like there is more people milling around (work from home effect?).

The only answer I can give you is that as far as I can tell everyone in the known universe descended with their cars on a small area with one road out of it. What did people think was going to happen?

• Advertisement

Is anything in DL named after Sr Concepta Lynch, the artist who created the Celtic Oratory? I'm not religious, but I believe she deserves a fitting tribute.

Advertisement