Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just got a text from my sister , she and her husband took their daughter down to the pier for a walk and an ice cream, it has taken them 50 minutes to get from the harbour car park to scrum diddlys , I’m sure someone will be along to tell me why that’s ok but it really isn’t .

There is no need for that at 6pm on a Sunday evening .

On a summer Sunday with the current levels of success of the expanded market and all the extra foot and cycling custom there honestly what did they expect? That they can simply drive up to the pier and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

strandroad wrote: »
    On a summer Sunday with the current levels of success of the expanded market and all the extra foot and cycling custom there honestly what did they expect? That they can simply drive up to the pier and back?

No that they could do it and it wouldn’t take 50 minutes to go less than a kilometre

JayRoc wrote: »
    The only answer I can give you is that as far as I can tell everyone in the known universe descended with their cars on a small area with one road out of it. What did people think was going to happen?

What used to happen i suppose that you could goto Dún Laoghaire and it wouldn’t take you 50 min to get basically get out of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

What used to happen i suppose that you could goto Dún Laoghaire and it wouldn’t take you 50 min to get basically get out of the car park.

Honestly lad, I've been shaking my head at this craic for years. I see it every single Sunday.

It genuinely isn't anything new. The extreme tailbacks were caused by the extreme volume of cars.

Unless you have another perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Was driving out of DL around 2.30pm and traffic into DL was backed up from Crofton Road all the way up Monkstown Road as far as Temple Hill. I've never seen it so bad, undoubtedly if the coast road was open that wouldn't be the case.

• Advertisement

Honestly lad, I've been shaking my head at this craic for years. I see it every single Sunday.

It genuinely isn't anything new. The extreme tailbacks were caused by the extreme volume of cars.

Unless you have another perspective?

I’ve been going down for years and never took me anything like that to get in and out and if it was that busy parking wasn’t available anyway.

If they want to keep it so that it’s just very local people then fair enough , when you couldn’t drive to Killiney hill it suited me great far less people around and much safer for the kids , same with white rock beach but at the same time it’s not really something you’d want long term as it excludes everyone else from some great amenities.

I’ve been going down for years and never took me anything like that to get in and out and if it was that busy parking wasn’t available anyway.

If they want to keep it so that it’s just very local people then fair enough , when you couldn’t drive to Killiney hill it suited me great far less people around and much safer for the kids , same with white rock beach but at the same time it’s not really something you’d want long term as it excludes everyone else from some great amenities.

What do you think caused the tailbacks? (Not having a pop and not being a smartarse; genuine question)

pm1977x wrote: »
    Was driving out of DL around 2.30pm and traffic into DL was backed up from Crofton Road all the way up Monkstown Road as far as Temple Hill. I've never seen it so bad, undoubtedly if the coast road was open that wouldn't be the case.

But we have people complaining of similar tailbacks out of DL along the coast road. Which is "open" for car traffic coming out of DL.

What do you think caused the tailbacks? (Not having a pop and not being a smartarse; genuine question)

The change in the traffic layout , she said countless people were driving down the road realising they could go no further and u turning into the car park and turning back around .

That coupled with the changes on the coast road I assume, I live the other side so not really sure she was coming from foxrock

The change in the traffic layout , she said countless people were driving down the road realising they could go no further and u turning into the car park and turning back around .

That coupled with the changes on the coast road I assume, I live the other side so not really sure she was coming from foxrock

Maybe take it from someone who lives on that coast road and is in DL several times a week including working there every Sunday;

The car traffic in and out of DL, particularly the Peoples Park end, has been getting progressively worse and worse on Sundays for years. It is bumper to bumper for the entire afternoon every Sunday especially when there is a bit of sun.

There have been no changes to the roads (to my knowledge at least) coming out of DL towards town.

There are simply too many people driving into a small area with extremely limited exit routes. I cannot understand why people continue with this behaviour (unless, like your sister, they are unfamiliar with the area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I was down there at that time, the place was simply jammed. There was pedestrian congestion on the path from Seapoint, there was even congestion in the boats trying to get back into the harbour. Both of these, together with the manic traffic had nothing to do with the change in traffic layout.

IMHO the change in traffic layout, with the one way systems, helped keep the traffic moving and prevented further gridlock.

Mav11 wrote: »
    I was down there at that time, the place was simply jammed. There was pedestrian congestion on the path from Seapoint, there was even congestion in the boats trying to get back into the harbour. Both of these, together with the manic traffic had nothing to do with the change in traffic layout.

IMHO the change in traffic layout, with the one way systems, helped keep the traffic moving and prevented further gridlock.

This is not hyperbole: there was a tailback on the cycle path. Genuinely.

It took 15 mins to get from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock rather than the usual 8 or 9 mins.

I am trying desperately not to sound smug as I type, I swear to god :)

This is not hyperbole: there was a tailback on the cycle path. Genuinely.

It took 15 mins to get from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock rather than the usual 8 or 9 mins.

I am trying desperately not to sound smug as I type, I swear to god :)

I know, I saw it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No that they could do it and it wouldn’t take 50 minutes to go less than a kilometre

So why drive ? Our estate was mobbed With cars as we are just off killiney beach. Only seen it this bad twice this year. And the beach was covered with people even parts that are normally used by just the locals.

ted1 wrote: »
    So why drive ? Our estate was mobbed With cars as we are just off killiney beach. Only seen it this bad twice this year. And the beach was covered with people even parts that are normally used by just the locals.

Because they weren’t going to cycle with a 3 year old from foxrock I presume .

Maybe so but in 20 years going there I’ve never experienced a delay like that getting out of the harbour car park maybe I’ve been extremely lucky so and it’s nothing to do with the change in traffic layout.

Maybe so but in 20 years going there I’ve never experienced a delay like that getting out of the harbour car park maybe I’ve been extremely lucky so and it’s nothing to do with the change in traffic layout.

Obviously never experienced it when the ferry used to come in???

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Traffic was backed up all the way to Enniskerry from Golden Ball this evening - no cycle lane to blame there.

It was a stunning day and everyone flocked to the coast and the mountains - if you drive you’re going to have to expect delays.

If anything, the cycle lane In Dun Laoghaire will have helped as more people will have cycled - never seen so many bikes at Seapoint this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

DL is getting busier and more popular. Interestingly, Covid 19 might really help the town, the market on the seafront has been a huge success and the town itself seems busier. The plaza they've just announced should help too, it was hard to pass people in front of Dunphys yesterday, quite a footfall for old Bloomfields, again a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just got a text from my sister , she and her husband took their daughter down to the pier for a walk and an ice cream, it has taken them 50 minutes to get from the harbour car park to scrum diddlys , I’m sure someone will be along to tell me why that’s ok but it really isn’t .

There is no need for that at 6pm on a Sunday evening .

No you're absolutely right, on a week where we're being asked to limit our movements in Dublin surely you could get an ice cream and go for a walk closer to home, the traffic and packed darts today were insane, I'm a 10 minute walk from the pier and I headed home after seeing the crowds, everyone needs to do their bit.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    DL is getting busier and more popular. Interestingly, Covid 19 might really help the town, the market on the seafront has been a huge success and the town itself seems busier. The plaza they've just announced should help too, it was hard to pass people in front of Dunphys yesterday, quite a footfall for old Bloomfields, again a good sign.

A lot of the stall holders in the market were dead set against the new layout until they realised how much new foot traffic was happening as a result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Because they weren’t going to cycle with a 3 year old from foxrock I presume .

Walk to Cabinteely park?

No you're absolutely right, on a week where we're being asked to limit our movements in Dublin surely you could get an ice cream and go for a walk closer to home, the traffic and packed darts today were insane, I'm a 10 minute walk from the pier and I headed home after seeing the crowds, everyone needs to do their bit.

Have they done away with social distancing on the DART?

If you could catch Covid walking past someone on the pier I’d agree

I think we are at risk of repeating ourselves but I will ask one more time: what do you think caused the tailbacks today out of Dun Laoghaire towards Blackrock/Town?

More vehicular traffic on a day that saw the area inundated with people driving to a spot with very limited exit options?

Or changes "to the traffic layout" in the opposite direction?

Do you think people driving as far as the car park and doing a u turn to go back when they realised they couldn’t go any further helped or hindered traffic ? Also the big delay was getting from the car park out , whatever way you are going everyone has to exit the harbour car park same way now , do you not think that also hinders traffic ?

Do you think people driving as far as the car park and doing a u turn to go back when they realised they couldn’t go any further helped or hindered traffic ? Also the big delay was getting from the car park out , whatever way you are going everyone has to exit the harbour car park same way now , do you not think that also hinders traffic ?

Traffic hinders traffic and there was more than a fair share of that around today.

Traffic hinders traffic and there was more than a fair share of that around today.

Well that’s settled that then, thanks for clearing it all up .

I’m going to go oil the chain on my bike right now might even treat the saddle to some leather conditioner .

Well that’s settled that then, thanks for clearing it all up .

I’m going to go oil the chain on my bike right now might even treat the saddle to some leather conditioner .

Took long enough, didn't it??:D

Have they done away with social distancing on the DART?

Basically yes. They have admitted there are too many people using their services for social distancing to be possible, but still they won't increase the number of darts/carriages.

They are still nowhere near using their full stock

*darts on a Sunday are the busiest I have seen and I use them a fair bit during the week to go to and from work, at various times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Busy roads... busy trains...busy cycle lanes... we need to get more people into boats :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement