Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s the nicest ?

AMT in the Dart Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

.anon. wrote: »
    AMT in the Dart Station.

:eek:

Never tried it, never even think of it as I pass through the station, big fan of Shoe Lane though, their sausage rolls go well with their coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

pm1977x wrote: »
    :eek:

Never tried it, never even think of it as I pass through the station, big fan of Shoe Lane though, their sausage rolls go well with their coffee!

Similar prices to Shoe Lane (i.e. a bit pricey), but very generous sized cup (fully biodegradable too, including the lid). Also, they do a very nice toasted breakfast croque.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone stepping out into either cycle or motor traffic is taking a big risk imo I’ve seen more than a few near misses since March .

Exactly and safety should consider Darwin’s

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If anyone hasn’t tried it the food at all alfresco is very good. We had the chicken teriyaki rice bowl as takeout.

It was hopping down there tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

.anon. wrote: »
    AMT in the Dart Station.

Agree with this, very nice cuppa. First place I experienced the offer of an ice cube dropped in your freshly brewed but nuclear hot coffee so that its drinkable more or less straight away and not 10 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

markpb wrote: »
    If the road is one way now, are you not able to take a spin on the same road but in the other direction?

Yes, but to get to the other side of DunLaoghaire from Blackrock I need a map.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yes, but to get to the other side of DunLaoghaire from Blackrock I need a map.....

Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think this has been done to death on this forum. You obviously haven't read some of the previous 20 pages.

I believe that I am still allowed to pass a comment, if that's OK?

Depends on how the cyclists feel to be honest

No bikey no likey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Depends on how the cyclists feel to be honest

No bikey no likey

You might want to listen to Anne Doyle on Brendan O'Connor this morning. Don't think she likes cyclists in the city. Particularly the lycra clad version;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Have a look at post #1423 maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mav11 wrote: »
    You might want to listen to Anne Doyle on Brendan O'Connor this morning. Don't think she likes cyclists in the city. Particularly the lycra clad version;)

Not sure if Mr Skehan realised that his dramatic details of how middle-aged professional men are so prevalent in our cycling numbers is actually a damning indictment of the failure of our city planners to make the city safe for everyone to cycle - women, younger people, older people, people with disabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Not sure if Mr Skehan realised that his dramatic details of how middle-aged professional men are so prevalent in our cycling numbers is actually a damning indictment of the failure of our city planners to make the city safe for everyone to cycle - women, younger people, older people, people with disabilities.

It really is striking when you look at the new cycleways and how everyone is out there enjoying them, rather than the typical racer profile folks only.

strandroad wrote: »
    It really is striking when you look at the new cycleways and how everyone is out there enjoying them, rather than the typical racer profile folks only.

Couldn't agree more...

My wife who cycled intermittently and didn't enjoy it on the roads is now using the new lane almost daily. For example yesterday cycled to Seapoint, went for a walk to Blackrock, back to Seapoint, back on the bike. Met a friend in Dalkey. cycled back to DL. Bought something in Meadows and Byrne. Cycled back to Blackrock, bought a book, cycled home. I realise this kind of trip isn't an option for everyone (she is recently retired) but she spent money in Blackrock, DL and Dalkey. These trips would never have taken place for her without the new infrastructure. She described cycling along the seafront at Scotsmans Bay as like being "on the continent".

Lets give the new lanes a chance..

Why are middle aged man more capable of cycling than women do you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Because some/enough of them are willing to accept it as a survival of the fittest sport discipline. While women, kids and older folks just want to cycle from A to B safely and comfortably.

Because they are able to put to the back of their mind the ever present danger of getting killed or maimed by some speeding fool catching up on their latest WhatsApp messages.

Because they are able to put to the back of their mind the ever present danger of getting killed or maimed by some speeding fool catching up on their latest WhatsApp messages.

At least they will have their headphones playing their favourite song before that .

At least they will have their headphones playing their favourite song before that .

Yes, a lot of drivers will indeed be wearing headphones, and the remainder are probably listening to distracting radio or music on their car audio systems.

But enough about drivers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Cyrus wrote:

Have noticed that myself a fair bit recently, those white apple earphone types, and phone in hand driving about.

Yes, a lot of drivers will indeed be wearing headphones, and the remainder are probably listening to distracting radio or music on their car audio systems.

But enough about drivers....

So witty

Just to make it clear I’m referring to cyclists but I’m sure you’ll refer me to some study where it’s safer for a cyclist to listen to music when they are cycling .

And yes drivers listen to radios but as you and your pals point out at every single turn cycling is more dangerous than just about any other human endeavour so you’d think one would take every precaution to make it a little safer on themselves.

Drivers also have mirrors and cameras and warning systems that cyclists don’t have.

So witty

Just to make it clear I’m referring to cyclists but I’m sure you’ll refer me to some study where it’s safer for a cyclist to listen to music when they are cycling .

And yes drivers listen to radios but as you and your pals point out at every single turn cycling is more dangerous than just about any other human endeavour so you’d think one would take every precaution to make it a little safer on themselves.

Drivers also have mirrors and cameras and warning systems that cyclists don’t have.

I can refer you to the study from Australia showing that cyclists with earphones and music playing hear more about what's going on around them than drivers with windows up and no audio playing.

You've noticed how I've pointed out that the danger on the road comes from drivers. A quick look at the road safety statistics will confirm this.

So surely it's reasonable to expect drivers to take every precaution to make it a little safer on themselves, right? So drivers clearly shouldn't have earphones or listen to audio, given that you've a concern about cyclists with earphones, to make it safer for their fellow humans?

And yes, drivers have mirrors, some have warning systems, very few have cameras that work for anything other than reversing. They also have a big metal cage around them that restricts their vision on all sides, something that cyclists don't have to deal with.

So witty

For years cyclists (I include myself) spent our time campaigning to the councils/government/local authorities for better infrastructure. Now that some councils and DLR in particular are making major improvements and investments I don't think we need to justify ourselves anymore. I would encourage you Cyrus (and like minded others) to take up your grievances with the councils (DCC,DLR, South Dublin ect) I think the rest of us should just get out and enjoy the new infrastructure and stop trying to defend and justify it.

Edit: This should really be in the cycling forum. Apologies to all the Dun Laoghaire forum followers who have no interest in cycling/cyclists/cycle lanes or the polarised views expressed on the subject..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Cyrus wrote:

"Warning system alert, you may have just killed a pedestrian"

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    For years cyclists (I include myself) spent our time campaigning to the councils/government/local authorities for better infrastructure. Now that some councils and DLR in particular are making major improvements and investments I don't think we need to justify ourselves anymore. I would encourage you Cyrus (and like minded others) to take up your grievances with the councils (DCC,DLR, South Dublin ect) I think the rest of us should just get out and enjoy the new infrastructure and stop trying to defend and justify it.

Edit: This should really be in the cycling forum. Apologies to all the Dun Laoghaire forum followers who have no interest in cycling/cyclists/cycle lanes or the polarised views expressed on the subject..

You appear a little confused . I’m not against cycling per say and the new changes don’t impact me all that much as I don’t drive very often. I’d argue that what they have done without consultation under the guise of temporary measures related to Covid stinks but if more people cycle then good for them I’ll continue with public transport personally but each to their own.

I just take issue with certain posters antagonistic posting styles someone has to stand up for the non cyclists here , the vocal minority as in most things now, are very loud and very overbearing .

I can refer you to the study from Australia showing that cyclists with earphones and music playing hear more about what's going on around them than drivers with windows up and no audio playing.

You've noticed how I've pointed out that the danger on the road comes from drivers. A quick look at the road safety statistics will confirm this.

So surely it's reasonable to expect drivers to take every precaution to make it a little safer on themselves, right? So drivers clearly shouldn't have earphones or listen to audio, given that you've a concern about cyclists with earphones, to make it safer for their fellow humans?

And yes, drivers have mirrors, some have warning systems, very few have cameras that work for anything other than reversing. They also have a big metal cage around them that restricts their vision on all sides, something that cyclists don't have to deal with.

As you are tired of saying drivers aren’t the ones in danger so they may as well crank up the music and enjoy the comfort of their car, the big metal cage is also pretty good for protecting those inside it.

If I was completely unprotected and one of the ones who decides helmets are unimportant I’d be making doubly sure I could see and hear all round me.

But from your posts it seems cyclists are a different breed, so au fait with the rules of the road they shouldn’t need to demonstrate it by way of a test and so aware of their surroundings that headphones wouldn’t hinder them.

You appear a little confused . I’m not against cycling per say and the new changes don’t impact me all that much as I don’t drive very often. I’d argue that what they have done without consultation under the guise of temporary measures related to Covid stinks but if more people cycle then good for them I’ll continue with public transport personally but each to their own.

I just take issue with certain posters antagonistic posting styles someone has to stand up for the non cyclists here , the vocal minority as in most things now, are very loud and very overbearing .

as I said.. Take up your grievance with DLR then..If you feel that strongly about it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

FINAL WARNING - continued debate of the pros & cons of cucling v driving will result in bans. Take it to a different forum.

• Advertisement

Advertisement