Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

em_cat wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have there been fireworks going off in DL proper, I mean around George's Street / Patrick St area? Hopefully our house will be finished about this time next year and we’ll be moving then and just want to know. They are going off most everyday where we are right now & the dog is petrified by them. Just want to look forward to living somewhere better than we are now.

Is there an new development in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Walking down the West Pier during the week and a jogger (dressed in black) comes running along and decides to clear out both nostrils (Dustman's whistle) over a 100 yard distance. People walking in the immediate area, people sitting on benches.

Absolutely disgusting habit especially during these Covid times.

Sometimes I think that jogging should be banned on both piers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

on what basis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dressed in black? Well......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Walking down the West Pier during the week and a jogger (dressed in black) comes running along and decides to clear out both nostrils (Dustman's whistle) over a 100 yard distance. People walking in the immediate area, people sitting on benches.

Absolutely disgusting habit especially during these Covid times.

What's dressed in black got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

hahahaha whats even funnier is that you're not even messing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

What's dressed in black got to do with anything?

Hoping that the guy is a Boards reader and might be able to identify himself from the brief description.

Disgusting habit.

Hoping that the guy is a Boards reader and might be able to identify himself from the brief description.

Disgusting habit.

people have disgusting habits, the same way you will see people littering on the pier, letting their dog ****e on it etc, that isnt a reason to ban jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

em_cat wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have there been fireworks going off in DL proper, I mean around George's Street / Patrick St area? Hopefully our house will be finished about this time next year and we’ll be moving then and just want to know. They are going off most everyday where we are right now & the dog is petrified by them. Just want to look forward to living somewhere better than we are now.

I moved to DL 20 years ago from a part of Dublin that was like downtown Baghdad for most of September and October. Relative to that location DL is very quiet bangers-wise but there is still a fair bit going on by times. You should however notice a massive reduction if my experience is anything to go by. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Disgusting habit.

I was out for a bit of a run yesterday, on the path/cycleway between Leopardstown and Brewery Roads when a guy on a bike come past me, too close for comfort and his back wheel had not passed me when he let go a massive gobber right across my path. He is lucky he was going a bit quicker than me because if I caught him I wasnt going to be responsible. What a totally sick and ignorant excuse for a human. Hope he reads this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

When are they going to sort the eyesore at the baths? It is draggging on and on, I mean I know it was the gift that kept giving for decades but I thought the construction would move along at more than that glacial pace.
    Then there's the bandstand area roofless for ages now. It seems DLRCOCO can move at great speed when they want but equally slow when suits.

I was out for a bit of a run yesterday, on the path/cycleway between Leopardstown and Brewery Roads when a guy on a bike come past me, too close for comfort and his back wheel had not passed me when he let go a massive gobber right across my path. He is lucky he was going a bit quicker than me because if I caught him I wasnt going to be responsible. What a totally sick and ignorant excuse for a human. Hope he reads this.
    Cyclists get very angry if you impede them, lucky he didn't spit on you altogether, whilst explaining how he is vulnerable road user. :D
    Next up, how I'm a bad person, and car drivers done xyz just yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

When are they going to sort the eyesore at the baths? It is draggging on and on, I mean I know it was the gift that kept giving for decades but I thought the construction would move along at more than that glacial pace.
    Then there's the bandstand area roofless for ages now. It seems DLRCOCO can move at great speed when they want but equally slow when suits.

Cyclists get very angry if you impede them, lucky he didn't spit on you altogether, whilst explaining how he is vulnerable road user. :D
    Next up, how I'm a bad person, and car drivers done xyz just yesterday.

I didnt impede him in any way, the path is at least 10 mtrs wide and I was running on the correct (left) side, there was no need for him to be that close to me or gob out in such close proximity to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I didnt impede him in any way, the path is at least 10 mtrs wide and I was running on the correct (left) side, there was no need for him to be that close to me or gob out in such close proximity to me.

Spring 2021 for the baths apparently. I asked DLR recently if there was a plan to put yellow buoys across from the pier to Sandycove to keep motor traffic away from the new baths area and in their reply they outlined that the baths project would be finished in Spring 2021 which seems optimistic when you look at it now.

With regard to your cycling incident, we are utterly incapable in this country of observing and using shared space correctly.
    (shared space = cyclists/scooters/rollerbladers/pedestrians/dog walkers/buggies/skateboarders ect)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Yes, the roof has been left off the sunshelter on the east pier since it was rebuilt after - was it Storm Ophelia? closed the top deck for a very long time. I wonder if they're ever going to put the roof back at this stage?

iniall wrote: »
    Yes, the roof has been left off the sunshelter on the east pier since it was rebuilt after - was it Storm Ophelia? closed the top deck for a very long time. I wonder if they're ever going to put the roof back at this stage?

There is work ongoing to strengthen the back of the pier to protect against similar damage in the event of another easterly storm. I would imagine the roof won't go back up until that work is finished and the vibrations and passing machinery have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Yes, a bit of searching and the council seems to be awaiting funding to restore the sunshelter:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/east-west-pier-storm-damage-repairs

(It was Emma in March 2018, not Ophelia in October 2017)

Thank you Shane Ross for landing the County Council with all the costs and debt for DL Harbour without any support for the transition. Its a feckin millstone.

iniall wrote: »
    Yes, a bit of searching and the council seems to be awaiting funding to restore the sunshelter:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/east-west-pier-storm-damage-repairs

(It was Emma in March 2018, not Ophelia in October 2017)
    Ahhh no problem funding several miles of plastic poles one way streets etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ahhh no problem funding several miles of plastic poles one way streets etc etc.

No problem with the €30 million funding for roads either. Should they be redirecting a tiny slice of the roads budget to fix the shelter?

No problem with the €30 million funding for roads either. Should they be redirecting a tiny slice of the roads budget to fix the shelter?
    Road budgets planned well in advance, the cycle lanes appeared in a few months on "temporary basis" I might be wrong but it seems to me they pulled the money out of their hole when they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All the new cycling infrastructure in DL was paid for by the National Transport Authority, little to zero cost to DLRCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Tabnabs wrote: »
    All the new cycling infrastructure in DL was paid for by the National Transport Authority, little to zero cost to DLRCC.

Hey hey hey, don't be stating facts it doesn't suit the narrative.

Tabnabs wrote: »

yes apparently so, will they also foot the bill for reinstatement works? and if the measures are to be made permanent will they foot that bill aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes apparently so, will they also foot the bill for reinstatement works? and if the measures are to be made permanent will they foot that bill aswell?

Are you expecting an answer for that question? Or are you being a negative nelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I was wondering about something (and this is a genuine question).

Given how much of a problem parking on footpaths is in the Dun Laoghaire/Deansgrange/Monkstown/Blackrock area, I have always been at a loss as to why the highly motivated traffic wardens who prowl the borough aren't doling out tickets like confetti.

Parking on, or partly on, a footpath is illegal right? So what am I missing?

Is it just a general policy that the council have quietly decided to look the other way?

Honestly curious

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JayRoc wrote: »

Given how much of a problem parking on footpaths is in the Dun Laoghaire/Deansgrange/Monkstown/Blackrock area, I have always been at a loss as to why the highly motivated traffic wardens who prowl the borough aren't doling out tickets like confetti.

Is it just a general policy that the council have quietly decided to look the other way?

Honestly curious

DLR policy is to only ticket vehicles in paid parking areas. A cynic might think that they are prioritising parking revenue over public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

DLR policy is to only ticket vehicles in paid parking areas. A cynic might think that they are prioritising parking revenue over public safety.

Historically, DLR (and pretty much all local authorities) hired parking enforcement staff to enforce their own parking by-laws and the state hired An Garda Siochana to enforce national road traffic laws. There's probably some element of not stepping on each others toes there but I'd imagine it's mostly down to cost. Why pay someone to enforce national laws when the state is already paying someone to do it?

More recently, DCC and DLR (and possibly others) have realised that AGS are unable or unwilling to do that so they're starting to redirect their parking enforcers into this area. It doesn't seem to happen very often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

JayRoc wrote: »

Honestly curious

Well I can speak for the road I live on in Deansgrange. If 2 cars park legally on the road but happen to be opposite each other then nothing wider than another car could pass between them. No fire brigade, oil truck, bin lorry, large van ect. Not making excuses but maybe that is some of their logic. It is nearly exclusively non residents parking as it is close to the village and 46A. Residents tend to use driveways.
    I have seen large trucks with skips having to reverse and go around an alternative route.

Having said that they are particularly zealous ticketing the disabled spaces around the library. Always someone on a moped speeds up, tickets and disappears..
    No sympathy as there is parking in the library car park, on street or at Lidl and Super Valu

I was cycling southbound on the N11 on the stretch between Dunnes and Johnstown rd and there was a taxi parked fully on the pavement, blocking the cycle lane with someone stood at the passenger door.

I not so politely shouted as I approached (something along the lines of “my good fellow, you appear to have inadvertently blocked the cycle lane you silly chap”😉) but when I got closer, I realised the person stood there was a traffic warden writing a ticket.

I apologised and praised him for doing it because I guess like the idiot taxi driver, I didn’t expect to see a warden on that bit of road.

• Advertisement

Are you expecting an answer for that question? Or are you being a negative nelly

it's a fair question, the fact you see it as negative says more about you than me.

Advertisement