Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JayRoc wrote: »
    I was wondering about something (and this is a genuine question).

Given how much of a problem parking on footpaths is in the Dun Laoghaire/Deansgrange/Monkstown/Blackrock area, I have always been at a loss as to why the highly motivated traffic wardens who prowl the borough aren't doling out tickets like confetti.

Parking on, or partly on, a footpath is illegal right? So what am I missing?

Is it just a general policy that the council have quietly decided to look the other way?

Honestly curious

id agree much stricter enforcement on illegal parking should be prioritised, ive seen dublin firebrigade post on twitter more than once about the areas around sandycove being impassable at times, im sure its the same for ambulances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aegir wrote: »
    I was cycling southbound on the N11 on the stretch between Dunnes and Johnstown rd and there was a taxi parked fully on the pavement, blocking the cycle lane with someone stood at the passenger door.

I not so politely shouted as I approached (something along the lines of “my good fellow, you appear to have inadvertently blocked the cycle lane you silly chap”😉) but when I got closer, I realised the person stood there was a traffic warden writing a ticket.

I apologised and praised him for doing it because I guess like the idiot taxi driver, I didn’t expect to see a warden on that bit of road.

Reminds me of a time I was cycling along the N11. Between UCD and Radisson.
    A Range Rover was driving in the bus lane, a garda car came up behind him and pulled him over. He instinctively pulled up in to the cycle path without looking.

Needless to say the Garda issued a ticket for driving in the bus lane, but topped it off with dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Cyrus wrote: »
    it's a fair question, the fact you see it as negative says more about you than me.

Ah gway out of that. If you wanted an answer you wouldn't be asking boards. Great piece of infrastructure regardless

Ah gway out of that. If you wanted an answer you wouldn't be asking boards. Great piece of infrastructure regardless

why not, the previous question as to who paid was answered.

anyway well done on the like fishing, this post should do well as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

why not, the previous question as to who paid was answered.

anyway well done on the like fishing, this post should do well as well.

What do you expect the cost of "making it permanent" to be? Some maintenance every so often? It's hardly going to break the bank.

• Advertisement

What do you expect the cost of "making it permanent" to be? Some maintenance every so often? It's hardly going to break the bank.

So you think the way it’s been implemented so far amounts to permanent structures that are to stand the test of time ? Or perhaps they are , as everyone has represented them to be , temporary changes for a period measured in months , a year tops .

If this is being doing properly I’d imagine a load of plastic sticks screwed into the road was quite what they had in mind .

So you think the way it’s been implemented so far amounts to permanent structures that are to stand the test of time ? Or perhaps they are , as everyone has represented them to be , temporary changes for a period measured in months , a year tops .

If this is being doing properly I’d imagine a load of plastic sticks screwed into the road was quite what they had in mind .

No they've clearly been designed so that they can be removed if aggrieved motorists have their way but equally if they are left as is I don't see what extra investment is required? A few extra bollards?

What I'd like to see is the grassy stretch on Crofton road between the trees developed into a cycle lane as that's the only major stretch between Blackrock and Sandycove where you have merge with the traffic. You could keep the two lanes of traffic and footpath as is and it would be quite lovely to cycle between the trees.

No they've clearly been designed so that they can be removed if aggrieved motorists have their way but equally if they are left as is I don't see what extra investment is required? A few extra bollards?

What I'd like to see is the grassy stretch on Crofton road between the trees developed into a cycle lane as that's the only major stretch between Blackrock and Sandycove where you have merge with the traffic. You could keep the two lanes of traffic and footpath as is and it would be quite lovely to cycle between the trees.

id have no issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Is there anywhere to see where each of our county councillors stand on these cycle lanes?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

scotchy wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to see where each of our county councillors stand on these cycle lanes?

If they stand on them they'll block the bikes using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

scotchy wrote: »

Jennifer O Carroll Mc Neill likes them anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    That is hilarious, that utter scumbag had election posters up all around the place in violation of the councils safety guidelines regarding cycle tracks, as did her colleagues, she does not give a flying fcuk about safety of cyclists as she perfectly demonstrated. Rules in place for years, she was fully aware of them and made false promises about them. She was repeatedly told about them and their "team" continued to put them up! after claiming the dangerous ones would be taken down.

She is an absolute utter disgrace, pure scumbag. Others just do not respond, she feigns concern and then continues what she does best/worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ouch is that saying 4.5+ million on cycleways :-) Chape at double the price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

rubadub wrote: »
    That is hilarious, that utter scumbag had election posters up all around the place in violation of the councils safety guidelines regarding cycle tracks, as did her colleagues, she does not give a flying fcuk about safety of cyclists as she perfectly demonstrated. Rules in place for years, she was fully aware of them and made false promises about them. She was repeatedly told about them and their "team" continued to put them up! after claiming the dangerous ones would be taken down.

She is an absolute utter disgrace, pure scumbag. Others just do not respond, she feigns concern and then continues what she does best/worst.

Jesus, stop holding back, get off the fence and say what you really think of her :pac:

no need for that.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Jesus, stop holding back, get off the fence and say what you really think of her :pac:
    I was holding back, I'd be banned.
    no need for that.
    That is exactly what I thought of her (and other parties) disgusting tactics, knowingly putting peoples lives/welfare at risk just to try and get a bit of cash/votes. Pure scum, they continued putting them up in dangerous places after saying existing ones would be removed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just to be clear, shes not a County Councillor. So whatever the vote is after the (belated) public consultation on the cycletracks, it won't be anything to do with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Wow.. wait til you hear about Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail.

You've serious anger issues need working through, was there an unrequited romantic proposal in the past perchance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

One day last week I saw fire engines and an ambulance at the ponds outside the library. They may have taken someone from the water. Does anybody know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

boombang wrote: »
    One day last week I saw fire engines and an ambulance at the ponds outside the library. They may have taken someone from the water. Does anybody know what happened?

A child walked along the walls of the pond to the far edge and feel the 15 foot on the far side. Not sure of injuries but it was on one of the Facebook pages

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    A child walked along the walls of the pond to the far edge and feel the 15 foot on the far side. Not sure of injuries but it was on one of the Facebook pages
    Jesus, hopefully child will be OK. A lot of hands off / Darwin award approach to parenting on view these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Jesus, hopefully child will be OK. A lot of hands off / Darwin award approach to parenting on view these days.

As opposed to in the past where kids were kept indoors and never did stupid things like jump off walls, climb trees, no helmets or even seatbelts...

woejus wrote: »
    Wow.. wait til you hear about Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail.
    what did SF do? I do not support SF but did notice that for the most part they stuck to the council and ESB safety rules last time, its not that hard, very easy in fact. FF did not, by a long shot, utter scum too, Cormac Delvin had illegal signs up on school crossing/warning signs, deliberately made to look like warning signs and distracting motorists from the real warnings, real nasty tactics, at primary schools too. Labour are by far the worst though.
    You've serious anger issues need working through
    On the contrary, if I was not annoyed with parties knowingly putting peoples lives, homes & businesses at risk I would think I had some issue, with a lack of anger. What sort of a sociopath scumbag would have no issue with it? I really worry about people like you who seemingly do not give a damn and just shrug it off.
    was there an unrequited romantic proposal in the past perchance? :pac:
    Well that came out of nowhere, so obviously you fancy her, pathetic white knight to the rescue of the poor damsel in distress. If I said it about Shane Ross and his illegal posters putting motorists at risk when he was transport minister there would not have been a peek out of you. Save your breath Sir Lanceatwat, she is not going to ride you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

what did SF do? I do not support SF but did notice that for the most part they stuck to the council and ESB safety rules last time, its not that hard, very easy in fact. FF did not, by a long shot, utter scum too, Cormac Delvin had illegal signs up on school crossing/warning signs, deliberately made to look like warning signs and distracting motorists from the real warnings, real nasty tactics, at primary schools too. Labour are by far the worst though.

On the contrary, if I was not annoyed with parties knowingly putting peoples lives, homes & businesses at risk I would think I had some issue, with a lack of anger. What sort of a sociopath scumbag would have no issue with it? I really worry about people like you who seemingly do not give a damn and just shrug it off.

Well that came out of nowhere, so obviously you fancy her, pathetic white knight to the rescue of the poor damsel in distress. If I said it about Shane Ross and his illegal posters putting motorists at risk when he was transport minister there would not have been a peek out of you. Save your breath Sir Lanceatwat, she is not going to ride you.

While I may very much sympathise with your opinions and your understandable frustration, I don't think calling any elected representative "scum" is constructive. They are all still people, who really exist, rather than anonymous names on the internet, and they have families. They all also have in common the fact that they presumably got into politics to help and to make a positive difference, as difficult as many people find that to believe

RosieJoe wrote: »

There's no 15 foot drop from the ponds. I've held my child's hand walking the full perimeter and it never gets above 3 or 4 feet. Do you mean down by the christ the king statue? Big drop from there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

There's no 15 foot drop from the ponds. I've held my child's hand walking the full perimeter and it never gets above 3 or 4 feet. Do you mean down by the christ the king statue? Big drop from there alright.

The issue seems to be with the area of vegetation in the centre of the ponds. This area seeems to be accessible at the points where the levels change.

Public consultation open now until the end of this week on the three new proposed safe cycle routes for the area. Cormac Devlin is hosting a Zoom call this evening at 7.30 if you want to get your views in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Public consultation open now until the end of this week on the three new proposed safe cycle routes for the area. Cormac Devlin is hosting a Zoom call this evening at 7.30 if you want to get your views in.

You can show your support for the cycle ways by doing this survey
    https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/consultation/intro/

I suppose the people against it can use it too if they have to :rolleyes:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Cycle way was jammers again at the weekend. Loads of families out on bikes along with the tour de france crowd. Will definitely be filling out in favour.

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »
    Cycle way was jammers again at the weekend. Loads of families out on bikes along with the tour de france crowd. Will definitely be filling out in favour.
    A lot of rage cycling down through the harbour area zooming in and out between cars and pedestrians on the roads. With almost empty dedicated cycle path 15 metres away :pac:. And cycling on the upper level of the pier, where's it's banned. But tbh the return en masse of dogsh1t on the pavements is worse!

Advertisement