Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

qb123 wrote: »
    Similarly, it seems to be more than a handful enjoying the redesigned outdoor spaces in Glasthule, Blackrock and Dundrum.

they dont have very many other options really its not like they can go in anywhere at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

qb123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call 20,000 people using the new coastal route a "handful of people"; nor the scores of children now cycling to school on the Carysfort and Newtown Park Avenue cycle lanes. Similarly, it seems to be more than a handful enjoying the redesigned outdoor spaces in Glasthule, Blackrock and Dundrum. But sure, let's make it all about the hard pressed motorist who already occupies most of the public space available.

Tedious what about me motorist posts sure are tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Maybe Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Co. could call it "New Safe Cycling Routes for a handful of people and shaft the motorist again but pretend we are including those who like to walk" initiative.

To be fair, the majority of cyclists and pedestrians also have a car. Everyone benefits from these initiatives.

But I certainly agree that the lack of a decent public transport system is a huge failing in all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyrus wrote: »
    they dont have very many other options really its not like they can go in anywhere at the moment :P

They have the option of not going out, or of driving to the pier as they may have done previously, or of walking to the pier or to somewhere else - but in large numbers, and in very diverse numbers (young, old, families, girl gangs, older couples), they are choosing to cycle the CMR route, regardless of how much you want to play it down.
    No, not the village. I am talking about the roads leading to the village. There is also some street furniture in Blackrock village. Handy for the coffee shops etc.

I am referring to the safe walking routes between villages?

Fair point about extra seating, which is very important for older people, young kids, people with reduced mobility and more.

You should make that point through the consultation.
    Maybe Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Co. could call it "New Safe Cycling Routes for a handful of people and shaft the motorist again but pretend we are including those who like to walk" initiative.

In normal times, pre-Covid, more people cycle to work/college in Dublin than use Dart, Luas and suburban rail combined.

That's one hell of a handful.

They have the option of not going out, or of driving to the pier as they may have done previously, or of walking to the pier or to somewhere else - but in large numbers, and in very diverse numbers (young, old, families, girl gangs, older couples), they are choosing to cycle the CMR route, regardless of how much you want to play it down.

Fair point about extra seating, which is very important for older people, young kids, people with reduced mobility and more.

You should make that point through the consultation.

I was referring to the use of the outdoor seating .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

coylemj wrote: »
    So like the coast road in Sandymount, the 'public consultation' is a complete sham. 'We'd like to hear from you but we're going to do it anyway'.

If Deansgrange Road is made one-way north to south, it means that all of the cars which currently come up Clonkeen Road to head straight (at the Grange pub) towards Blackrock and all of the cars coming down from Foxrock Church which would turn left will all have to go up the hill to Baker's Corner, then turn left towards Blackrock.

There's usually a tailback going up the hill to Baker's Corner from Deansgrange Cross, this proposal is going to hugely increase the volume of traffic going up the hill, to the point where it will become a major bottleneck. In turn this will mean that people coming up Clonkeen Road from the N11 won't be able to turn right and Clonkeen Road will quickly backup because there's only one lane before you get to Lidl.

I am not sure that will happen. I suspect most of the N11 traffic currently turning right at Cornelscourt/Clonkeen road will simply stay on the N11 if their trip takes them beyond Deansgrange. A lot of the traffic coming down from Foxrock church has originated on the N11 so ideally they would go down Newton Park Ave. Local residents in Holly Park, Foxrock Ave will simply drive the other way out of their estate towards Newton Park ave.
    Where I think the council has missed a trick is that they haven't done anything to make it safe for the kids to cycle to Holly Park schools. There are 3 schools in the estate and it seems to be chaotic around school times. I am not sure what if anything they could do bar make the whole estate a Cul de Sac with no through road from Kill lane to Newton Park. There was a proposal a while ago to make a walking/cycling route through the cemetery which would link straight into holly Park but I am not sure of its status now. (link below)
    I live near the library in Deansgrange so our days of easily driving to Blackrock are over but strangely enough there appears to be fairly strong support for the measures with anyone I have spoken to.
    I have noticed since September a huge increase in the number of Holly Park kids walking to school now..
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/walking-cycling-permeability-through-deansgrange-cemetery

fixXxer wrote: »
    Overview%20Map.jpg

Not sure if I've embedded that right.

Going by the map. it looks like a cohesive plan. If schools especially can be linked up properly then there could be great results. Once people realize their children won't dissolve in a bit of rain now and then. :pac:

Yes. I think it will be a benefit if designed as is. It is a pity they cant do something at the end of the proposed new piece on Deansgrange road to link down to Monkstown or more directly to Blackrock. At present you have to go as far as Temple Hill and turn back or else turn right up towards the large roundabout at Stradbrook Road which the council have admitted is not safe for cyclists or pedestrians.
    There is a short cut for pedestrians (and careful cyclists) through Gleann Na Smol which brings you out on Monkstown Road so maybe this could be upgraded. it wouldn't take much and half of it was resurfaced last week. I suppose getting across the road to access it would be the difficult part..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Great to see so many new voices decrying the lack of space for pedestrians. :pac:

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    At present you have to go as far as Temple Hill and turn back or else turn right up towards the large roundabout at Stradbrook Road which the council have admitted is not safe for cyclists or pedestrians.
    There is a short cut for pedestrians (and careful cyclists) through Gleann Na Smol which brings you out on Monkstown Road so maybe this could be upgraded. it wouldn't take much and half of it was resurfaced last week. I suppose getting across the road to access it would be the difficult part..

When I am cycling daily from Deansgrange village to Blackrock I will always go up the hill and take a left at Bakers to go down via Stradbrook Road. I actually find it a lovely enjoyable few minutes and have never had any trouble at the roundabout. Even during the school runs. I've trained my teenage brother on that route also and I would have confidence in him being able to negotiate the roundabout safely even at busy times.

I didn't know about the shortcut through Gleann na Smol and I have lived around here for years...thank you!

JayRoc wrote: »
    When I am cycling daily from Deansgrange village to Blackrock I will always go up the hill and take a left at Bakers to go down via Stradbrook Road. I actually find it a lovely enjoyable few minutes and have never had any trouble at the roundabout. Even during the school runs. I've trained my teenage brother on that route also and I would have confidence in him being able to negotiate the roundabout safely even at busy times.

I didn't know about the shortcut through Gleann na Smol and I have lived around here for years...thank you!

id have though that roundabout is one of the safer ones for cyclists being single laned and with the exits well spread out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

JayRoc wrote: »

Could some explain where this is (or better yet Google Map it)
    I can't picture where it is & Google shows up nothing other than a place in Howth!
    Thanks

id have though that roundabout is one of the safer ones for cyclists being single laned and with the exits well spread out.

I tend to agree with you and Jayroc. I have never had any issues on it.There have been a few incidents over the years at the Monkstown Avenue exit. It is slightly wider than a single lane there and a slight uphill so slow moving cyclists have been undertaken by cars while trying to leave the roundabout
    Apparently one of the main reasons given for the council not looking at Abbey Road instead of Densgrange Road for the new cycle lanes was this roundabout being deemed unsafe.
    Maybe that is just an excuse..

frash wrote: »
    Could some explain where this is (or better yet Google Map it)
    I can't picture where it is & Google shows up nothing other than a place in Howth!
    Thanks

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2922347,-6.1639451,17.04z

There is a path from Stradbrook road into Gleann na Smol..and out the other end to Queens Park

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2922347,-6.1639451,17.04z

There is a path from Stradbrook road into Gleann na Smol..and out the other end to Queens Park

And THIS is the sort of thing that keeps me on boards. Very handy. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

The Dalguise development will likely increase permeability somewhat. I am guessing a link from Windsor/Richmond to Monkstown Valley. Not very direct but may help some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

RE shortcut from Gleann na Smol, we househunted there years ago and had eye on place near that pedestrian cut. It was 11 minutes walk to the Dart at Seapoint. One of us did not drive and was a bike user for commute to city.

Awaaf wrote: »
    The Dalguise development will likely increase permeability somewhat. I am guessing a link from Windsor/Richmond to Monkstown Valley. Not very direct but may help some people.

I suppose in theory if you were coming through Monkstown Farm then you could cut across Richmond/Ashton Park and into Dalguise thereby missing out on Monkstown village or Stradbrook Road to bring you to the cycle lanes on Monkstown road/Seapoint avenue.
    Permeability seems to form a large part of the new cycling/walking plans..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

How long are taking to do them baths. The building work must going on close to 3 years and it looks nowhere near ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

GT89 wrote: »
    How long are taking to do them baths. The building work must going on close to 3 years and it looks nowhere near ready.

I've heard it is now deliberately delayed until next spring at the earliest due to the pandemic, but the big work is done.

The main issue was a huge amount of additional engineering that needed to be done once excavations were complete, to underpin the road and railway cutting. The situation was far worse than the advance testing had suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Just got my new invoice for property tax next year on behalf of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

It has gone up to €1750.

We are both on a fixed income and this type of payment has to be paid from our savings.

About 2 years ago we had a number of the footpaths in our area renewed. Some needed renewing, others didn't. Recently we have had Irish Water dig up all these footpaths to put in place new pipes. They are now replacing these footpaths again.

Looking at the closure of roads in the area and the amount money being spent to put in place cycle lanes that some people will use seems to me to be a huge waste of money. My money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just got my new invoice for property tax next year on behalf of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

It has gone up to €1750.

We are both on a fixed income and this type of payment has to be paid from our savings.

About 2 years ago we had a number of the footpaths in our area renewed. Some needed renewing, others didn't. Recently we have had Irish Water dig up all these footpaths to put in place new pipes. They are now replacing these footpaths again.

Looking at the closure of roads in the area and the amount money being spent to put in place cycle lanes that some people will use seems to me to be a huge waste of money. My money.
    And providing social housing seems like a huge waste of money as I don’t benefit.

Grow up, you live in a society that has to cater for everyone. Not everyone drives yet they pay taxes for roads

If you are that hard up, sell your 1million + house and move to an area with cheaper taxes.

Presumably you have similar views on all the money spent on motorways and roads that some people will use also being a huge waste of money - your money?

That's a million euro property that you're living in, right?

That's a million euro property that you're living in, right?
    ted1 wrote: »

If you are that hard up, sell your 1million + house and move to an area with cheaper taxes.

What’s the value of the posters house got to do with anything ?

He brought up the cost of the tax, so it's not unreasonable to clarify the reason for that cost.

He brought up the cost of the tax, so it's not unreasonable to clarify the reason for that cost.

You don’t need to clarify though it’s a simple calculation, so again I ask what’s the value of the house got to do with anything ? Not entitled to an opinion if it’s worth a million ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It has gone up to €1750.

In a similar position on tax, but living in a private estate, so don't see the benefits outside the door at all, but DLRCC is probably the most affluent area in Ireland, so it's well worth it (also much happier paying our own upkeep of the estate, we can decide the lights, the landscaping, footpath and road work ourselves without outside interference).

IF the tax is going to be an ongoing issue on a fixed income, do consider downsizing, it frees up a good portion of your assets worth, and reduces the ongoing cost (I'd imagine the ongoing maintenance of the house itself is much more than €1750 per year, or you're letting it go to ruin so the children can inherit and sell it anyway).

A good friend of ours had her children keep her in a house she couldn't upkeep for years so they could inherit it, the children didn't provide any maintenance costs, it was almost abuse towards the end, and very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ted1 wrote: »
    And providing social housing seems like a huge waste of money as I don’t benefit.

Grow up, you live in a society that has to cater for everyone. Not everyone drives yet they pay taxes for roads

Well the social housing near me is costing me a lot of patience with their SCREAMING kids, dirt left in car park damage in the estate.
    It seems we just shut up and pay the tax, then shut while the area is turned to garbage too? Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a bad person :pac:

I think the posters original point that repeatedly digging the paths is wasteful and displays no joined up thinking. It was the same in oconnel street, how many times did they remodel it in past 20 years?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-12579655

astrofool wrote: »
    In a similar position on tax, but living in a private estate, so don't see the benefits outside the door at all, but DLRCC is probably the most affluent area in Ireland, so it's well worth it (also much happier paying our own upkeep of the estate, we can decide the lights, the landscaping, footpath and road work ourselves without outside interference).

IF the tax is going to be an ongoing issue on a fixed income, do consider downsizing, it frees up a good portion of your assets worth, and reduces the ongoing cost (I'd imagine the ongoing maintenance of the house itself is much more than €1750 per year, or you're letting it go to ruin so the children can inherit and sell it anyway).

A good friend of ours had her children keep her in a house she couldn't upkeep for years so they could inherit it, the children didn't provide any maintenance costs, it was almost abuse towards the end, and very sad.

Our estate is the same so we have a similar charge in mgt fees but as you say at least we get to do it as we see fit

However I don’t think we really see the benefits of the tax take in dlr the roads and footpaths should be excellent instead we have potholes everywhere and poor footpaths in places

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well it’s directly related to the LPT he pays , which seems to be a big bear. He commented on his struggles with a fixed income. Down sizing would help both issues

• Advertisement

Well the social housing near me is costing me a lot of patience with their SCREAMING kids, dirt left in car park damage in the estate.
    Surely not kids playing outdoors? That's horrific, why can't they sit indoors on their Xboxes and iPads getting more and more obese, amiright?
    Our estate is the same so we have a similar charge in mgt fees but as you say at least we get to do it as we see fit

However I don’t think we really see the benefits of the tax take in dlr the roads and footpaths should be excellent instead we have potholes everywhere and poor footpaths in places
    DLR is spending €30 million on the potholes and footpaths this year, while the cost of the cycle lanes mentioned is covered by the NTA. So I'm not quite sure what the basis for the whinging is?
    You don’t need to clarify though it’s a simple calculation, so again I ask what’s the value of the house got to do with anything ? Not entitled to an opinion if it’s worth a million ?

He's entitled to his opinion, but it's a bit rich to be playing the poor mouth about paying the tax from savings when he's sitting on a €1m asset. He can always defer and let the tax be taken from his estate, or he can downsize, or he can rent a room in his large property - lots of options other than whinging about a very small investment in cycle lanes, which generally have a much higher return than other transport infrastructure investments.

Advertisement