Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wowy wrote: »
    Trying to drag this thread back on topic...

Permission has been granted by DRLCC for this application.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/86082

that looks positive. that shopping centre needed some purpose!

i dunno - a lot of people won't be happy that this development comes with 52 'new cycle parking spaces'. imagine if the cyclists don't have to pay for parking while the car owners do!

it's great that the space will be used though, more footfall etc.

in fairness, prior to this latest lockdown I got the sense that dun laoghaire was doing well, it seemed busy enough. maybe because people were stuck in their locality and maybe because people didn't fancy the indoor alternative of, say, dundrum ?

where though? down by the pier and the park its chocca, but the main street is never that busy and now there is very litte of interest on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Cyrus wrote: »
    where though? down by the pier and the park its chocca, but the main street is never that busy and now there is very litte of interest on it anyway.

Purely my own impressions, i thought that the main street (at least the strip with pennys/shaws up to bloomfields) seemed busier, certainly in sept/oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Purely my own impressions, i thought that the main street (at least the strip with pennys/shaws up to bloomfields) seemed busier, certainly in sept/oct.

I agree, it seemed busier to me as well every time I was there between the lockdowns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

that looks positive. that shopping centre needed some purpose!

Did it though, or is it just extending the life of a building that is ultimately doomed to failure and is being propped up by anything other than retail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Did it though, or is it just extending the life of a building that is ultimately doomed to failure and is being propped up by anything other than retail?

It's not getting knocked down if thats what you're hoping. Tesco on the top floor would be delighted to keep it open and empty of shops so we all go to Bloomfields instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its true, Tesco do keep the building alive with their office rent, this HSE development will be more of the same.

It's a pity the future of the Centre seems less and less to be demolition, it could be the making of the heart of DL to put in a high quality mixed use building there, more outward looking and sympathetic with the Victorian town it sits in.

Failing that though, footfall and money changing hands will benefit the town. It really has suffered from the closure of the schools and college in the heart of the town over the last 20-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its true, Tesco do keep the building alive with their office rent, this HSE development will be more of the same.

It's a pity the future of the Centre seems less and less to be demolition, it could be the making of the heart of DL to put in a high quality mixed use building there, more outward looking and sympathetic with the Victorian town it sits in.

Failing that though, footfall and money changing hands will benefit the town. It really has suffered from the closure of the schools and college in the heart of the town over the last 20-30 years.

I can't think of a more extreme example of the downfall of a successful, busy shopping centre. It's a real pity. I have a soft spot for that place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

ted1 wrote: »
    . Lots of families looking for 3+ bedroom homes that are being occupied by empty nesters who would greatly benefit by freeing up equity and moving into a low energy housing unit that better meets their requirements.
    Lots of new developments around Dalkey, Dun Laoighre etc

Using that kind of thinking then a family of two parents and two children should not live in a 4 bedroomed home, just stick with a 3 bed.

A single person should not live in a 2 or 3 bed. Just stick with a one bed.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I can't think of a more extreme example of the downfall of a successful, busy shopping centre. It's a real pity. I have a soft spot for that place

I remember when it first opened they had a great "market stall" type section which reminded me of the Dandelion Market of old.

Although I always though the top floor a bit of a tumbleweed floor space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Using that kind of thinking then a family of two parents and two children should not live in a 4 bedroomed home, just stick with a 3 bed.

Yep, it solve a lot of our housing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I'm inclined to agree with this. I know people constantly point out the difference between the seafront and the rest of the town, but it's not that bad. The number of vacant units isn't that high, especially compared to post the last recession. A fair few new cafes and restaurants have opened and there's a good selection of shops along the main street catering to most wallets and tastes. Compared to most towns around the country it's thriving.

Unfortunately, these places have a relatively short shelf life. Architecture and the demands of tenants change so much so fast. I'll grant you there are few early shopping centres in Ireland as central and as obtrusive as DLSC, but lots have suffered a similar fate. Dundalk, Navan, a few in Cork and Galway, even Northside, Donaghmede, Crumlin and Nutgrove in Dublin all decayed badly in a relatively short time.

Unfortunately, these places have a relatively short shelf life. Architecture and the demands of tenants change so much so fast. I'll grant you there are few early shopping centres in Ireland as central and as obtrusive as DLSC, but lots have suffered a similar fate. Dundalk, Navan, a few in Cork and Galway, even Northside, Donaghmede, Crumlin and Nutgrove in Dublin all decayed badly in a relatively short time.

Nutgrove generally rejuvenates itself every few years. There’s a Dunnes, Penney’s , Tesco all in it, which isn’t to bad

Nutgrove generally rejuvenates itself every few years. There’s a Dunnes, Penney’s , Tesco all in it, which isn’t to bad

Quite right. It also has excellent and free parking, but due to the proximity of Dundrum, it has suffered a major footfall decline the past 20 years.

Quite right. It also has excellent and free parking, but due to the proximity of Dundrum, it has suffered a major footfall decline the past 20 years.

It’d be interesting to see the numbers. The population has increased significantly in the area. I know many people in the area who’ll go to Nutgrove to skip the hassle of Dundrum. Can do the weekly shop and pick up socks etc in the textile stores. Then again LIDL and ALDO across from them may be taking people too

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

Nutgrove is definitely busier in the past 2 or 3 years than it was 10 years ago. I would say they are very happy with how it is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Despite the decent parking deals there I do my best to avoid the carpark, the spaces are some of the narrowest still in existence and the entrance and exit are a real squeeze, they should respace it for modern cars, then you've got people walking through who might start browsing and buying, particularly as parking is such a big bugbear for locals. There doesn't seem to be much outside of the box thinking beyond let's just keep limping along.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

qb123 wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with this. I know people constantly point out the difference between the seafront and the rest of the town, but it's not that bad. The number of vacant units isn't that high, especially compared to post the last recession. A fair few new cafes and restaurants have opened and there's a good selection of shops along the main street catering to most wallets and tastes. Compared to most towns around the country it's thriving.

There's a nice stretch as well at the park end of George's St where you have Bank and Vintiques (both vintage/upcycled furniture and home wares), a kids clothes boutique and Vinyl. If they could get Dunnes to actually let out those 3 or 4 units that have been boarded for years it would make a big difference.

There's a nice stretch as well at the park end of George's St where you have Bank and Vintiques (both vintage/upcycled furniture and home wares), a kids clothes boutique and Vinyl. If they could get Dunnes to actually let out those 3 or 4 units that have been boarded for years it would make a big difference.

I had a myself a grand little Sunday routine before Covid hit; a long potter around the market in Peoples Park, some food from one of the vendors and a walk home via the vinyl shop for an aul' LP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Work-From-Home trend will impact this. You might need two offices for two adults, and then a room or two for students, as well as bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

<SNIP> Please abide by Mod guidance re chat focussed on cycling, take it somewhere else. Also no need to quote huge posts.</SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I had a myself a grand little Sunday routine before Covid hit; a long potter around the market in Peoples Park, some food from one of the vendors and a walk home via the vinyl shop for an aul' LP

Recently moved away from DL, and this is one thing I really miss, my Sunday brunch in the market! I presume its been completely closed since March yeah?

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Recently moved away from DL, and this is one thing I really miss, my Sunday brunch in the market! I presume its been completely closed since March yeah?

no has been open a lot, its spread from the park all the way up to the library, but i think under level 5 its closed alright.

The Work-From-Home trend will impact this. You might need two offices for two adults, and then a room or two for students, as well as bedrooms.

.....and don't forget all the adult empty nesters that may need to come home and grand children that will be visiting.

Grow up, you live in a society that has to cater for everyone.
    It’s the free loaders on buses that don’t pay anything and get subsidied journeys.

A la Carte benevolence.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

no has been open a lot, its spread from the park all the way up to the library, but i think under level 5 its closed alright.

Yeah was disappointed to discover that last weekend. I assumed given it's outdoors and by definition take away only that it would be there but I guess they don't want crowds congregating. I actually think the new set up works quite well where you have all the hot food vendors next to the library and the other vendors in the people's park. Spreads the crowd out a bit more.

Yeah was disappointed to discover that last weekend. I assumed given it's outdoors and by definition take away only that it would be there but I guess they don't want crowds congregating. I actually think the new set up works quite well where you have all the hot food vendors next to the library and the other vendors in the people's park. Spreads the crowd out a bit more.

yep although it gets pretty congested near the library imo, i never felt it was as packed in the park but probably just perception.

i can understand why its closed in fairness.

yep although it gets pretty congested near the library imo, i never felt it was as packed in the park but probably just perception.

i can understand why its closed in fairness.

Yeah exactly. Tbh there were one or two times where the food area was a bit too packed for comfort, and I think those sorts of crowds would have been incompatible with a Level 5 lockdown. A pity but I guess it was a victim of its own success, albeit temporarily

• Advertisement

in fairness its an absolutely brilliant market, and playground right beside super family morning out!

Advertisement