Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Was down in Glasthule this evening around 6pm, had to be about 80+ people queuing on top of each other, blocking the entire path to get takeaway pints (and coffees) from the front of the Eagle House, these weren't just young folk either, plenty of adults who should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Despite the decent parking deals there I do my best to avoid the carpark, the spaces are some of the narrowest still in existence and the entrance and exit are a real squeeze, they should respace it for modern cars, then you've got people walking through who might start browsing and buying, particularly as parking is such a big bugbear for locals. There doesn't seem to be much outside of the box thinking beyond let's just keep limping along.

Rather than looking for infrastructural changes to cater for ballooning car dimensions, maybe people should engage some personal responsibility and think about buying smaller cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Was down in Glasthule this evening around 6pm, had to be about 80+ people queuing on top of each other, blocking the entire path to get takeaway pints (and coffees) from the front of the Eagle House, these weren't just young folk either, plenty of adults who should know better.

The swines

I hope they weren’t having a good time

Cyrus wrote: »
    The swines

Well, as long as they were having a good time, that's all that matters. Let's not worry about the potential effects of over 80 people ignoring public health advice, queuing in close proximity to each other and making it impossible for anyone else to safely get by.

.anon. wrote: »
    Well, as long as they were having a good time, that's all that matters. Let's not worry about the potential effects of over 80 people ignoring public health advice, queuing in close proximity to each other and making it impossible for anyone else to safely get by.

You were there too ?

• Advertisement

You were there too ?

I drove past them.

I drove past them.

You should keep your eyes on the road so there’s 1000s of cyclists around these days :D

On a more serious note standing outside queuing for outdoor pints is pretty low on my own personal list of things to do but so far the government haven’t deigned it necessary to ban this or close off licences . So if that’s what people want to do and it’s in an outdoor setting I don’t see an issue. As for people getting past if they have an issue why don’t they cross the road ?

Rather than looking for infrastructural changes to cater for ballooning car dimensions, maybe people should engage some personal responsibility and think about buying smaller cars.

Personal responsibility!? :rolleyes: I think you'll find most bog-standard cars are larger nowadays as they include crumple zones, bumpers, air bags and a whole host of other safety features that have drastically reduced your risk of dying or being maimed in a car crash. These features didn't exist back in the late 70s when the car park was built and it's time they caught up with progress, my own car is certainly on the smaller end of the scale for modern cars but I guess I can purchase an old Renault 5 and keep it on standby for when next I want a trip down to Dun Laoghaire as it's my personal responsibility to push back against motoring improvements and enhancements in favour of being stuck in a timewarp to suit out of date architecture.

The swines

I don't know, it was pretty cold out and the queue wasn't moving much, but to each their own. As for crossing the road, if a business can't manage it's customers into an orderly queue that doesn't take over the entire footpath then they shouldn't be operating. Why should elderly residents or indeed anyone for that matter have to make a detour for a bunch of inconsiderate selfish folk who can't manage to share the space available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The less social distancing the quicker lockdown will be over and we'll be back to normal. The truth the more people disregard covid guidelines the quicker things go normal as no will care and the pandemic will be deemed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's great to hear that DLSC has been granted permission for the primary care centre. It will probably become a health centre for it's entire community when compared to the other health facilities offered in the area being not so great. They are currently dispersed around a few different areas in the town. I do know of one dressing clinic facility run by the HSE in York Road & one dental clinic/methadone clinic in Patrick Street that has been there for years.

I just want to ask 2 questions here as a way to clarify some things.

1) Does the permission being granted for the Primary Care Centre in DLSC mean that the current HSE facilities located in Dun Laoghaire can move into it?

Or

2) Does it expand the number of facilities available in the community?

To my thinking around this recent good news being given from DLRCC/ABP; the buildings being in use in Patrick Street at the moment, for example, has really been in a run down condition for several years now. People moving out of those buildings once the new primary centre is built could give a huge upgrade for patients who currently have to turn up for public health dental appointments in Patrick Street. The same could also be applied to those who turn up for their methadone appointments in that building unless I am open to be corrected. I would probably say the same for those who attend the dressing clinic in York Road. Those patients would also get a huge benefit in turning up for appointments at this new centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Didn't a lot of the Glasthule residents claim that there would be no business once the changes in the new street scape were announced:rolleyes:

Personal responsibility!? :rolleyes: I think you'll find most bog-standard cars are larger nowadays as they include crumple zones, bumpers, air bags and a whole host of other safety features that have drastically reduced your risk of dying or being maimed in a car crash. These features didn't exist back in the late 70s when the car park was built and it's time they caught up with progress, my own car is certainly on the smaller end of the scale for modern cars but I guess I can purchase an old Renault 5 and keep it on standby for when next I want a trip down to Dun Laoghaire as it's my personal responsibility to push back against motoring improvements and enhancements in favour of being stuck in a timewarp to suit out of date architecture.

The days of building infrastructure around the whims of car users are over. Luckily, there are still plenty of medium-sized cars out there, but too many people (especially in Dún Laoghaire) favour the giant ones. If you struggle to fit your small car into a parking space, it's probably because the car next to it is too big and taking up 100% of its space. Car size should be a factor in motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The days of building infrastructure around the whims of car users are over. Luckily, there are still plenty of medium-sized cars out there, but too many people (especially in Dún Laoghaire) favour the giant ones. If you struggle to fit your small car into a parking space, it's probably because the car next to it is too big and taking up 100% of its space. Car size should be a factor in motor tax.

Ah to be fair, I'm sure there are loads of valid reasons for people who never leave the vicinity of Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey/Monkstown to have an SUV the size of a tank.

Sure how else would the kids get to school for god's sake?

Car size should be a factor in motor tax.

It usually is to be fair bigger suvs have bigger engines and higher road tax

Not always but usually

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't know, it was pretty cold out and the queue wasn't moving much, but to each their own. As for crossing the road, if a business can't manage it's customers into an orderly queue that doesn't take over the entire footpath then they shouldn't be operating. Why should elderly residents or indeed anyone for that matter have to make a detour for a bunch of inconsiderate selfish folk who can't manage to share the space available?

There were crowds on the grass down by the seafront, and queues at Fish Shack - gangs of middle aged lads with loads of pints along the wall - no social distancing.

Remember that the next time someone blames young people having house parties for the virus spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Any photos of new surface laid in parks where the footpaths were widened? Wondering what kind of structures they put in. Shared surface or segregated etc.

strandroad wrote: »
    Any photos of new surface laid in parks where the footpaths were widened? Wondering what kind of structures they put in. Shared surface or segregated etc.

I can only speak for Clonkeen Park which is near me. Standard tarmac surface. it will be shared space with solid white line down the middle and cycle and pedestrian marking. Between 3 and 4 metres wide I would guess so probably about twice as wide as it was. No markings down as yet. seems to be a lot more lighting as well as part of the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

strandroad wrote: »

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1327974724543111170?s=20

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1327225622196842497?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thank you both, it all looks great. Plenty of space, but not too high tech or complicated. The tarmac holds up well in local parks so these should be able to take some traffic too. Good news.

That brown surfacing on the Metals route, is it water permeable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Well, cycle lanes have gone in up Kill lane in between deansgrange and bakers. As a cyclist I have to say that they look good, well segregated, nice and wide.
    As a motorist I have to say it’s a complete mess. Maybe it’ll calm down with time but there’s tail backs from the bottom of kill ave (honey park) to bakers. When I got to bakers I lost patience and turned left so I’ve no idea what it’s like up to deansgrange (I was in the car today).

Problems- as you approach bakers the right hand turn is now for right turning traffic only. Of course about half of people don’t know this and just try to nip over the lights and about half just ignore the new lay out and try to nip over the lights. But the road gets a lot thinner a lot more quickly now so they have to merge.
    The bigger issue is that those who follow the rules and stay in the left Lane can get stuck behind a bus letting people on/off outside the pub as there’s little room for the bus to pull into and for cars to move around. This just encourages others to pull into the right hand lane and try to beat the new road lay out.

Again, maybe it’ll calm down with time. As a cyclist I can see that going up Kill avenue from dun laoghaire to bakers corner would currently be a lot more stressful which defeats the object of the exercise.

Well, cycle lanes have gone in up Kill lane in between deansgrange and bakers. As a cyclist I have to say that they look good, well segregated, nice and wide.
    As a motorist I have to say it’s a complete mess. Maybe it’ll calm down with time but there’s tail backs from the bottom of kill ave (honey park) to bakers. When I got to bakers I lost patience and turned left so I’ve no idea what it’s like up to deansgrange (I was in the car today).

Problems- as you approach bakers the right hand turn is now for right turning traffic only. Of course about half of people don’t know this and just try to nip over the lights and about half just ignore the new lay out and try to nip over the lights. But the road gets a lot thinner a lot more quickly now so they have to merge.
    The bigger issue is that those who follow the rules and stay in the left Lane can get stuck behind a bus letting people on/off outside the pub as there’s little room for the bus to pull into and for cars to move around. This just encourages others to pull into the right hand lane and try to beat the new road lay out.

Again, maybe it’ll calm down with time. As a cyclist I can see that going up Kill avenue from dun laoghaire to bakers corner would currently be a lot more stressful which defeats the object of the exercise.

The lanes at the crossroads in Deansgrange itself have also been relined. There used to be 2 straight ahead lanes with right turn/left turn from Foxrock church through the crossroads. This is now 1 straight ahead/left and 1 right turn only. causing lots of confusion. In the other direction from Bakers it is straight ahead and left turn only (no right turn allowed here)
    I cant really see the point of it. To me if you have left and right turn lanes only then you should really have filter lights as well. I can only presume the new design is to filter traffic before it crosses the junction as once you cross it goes to 1 lane anyway
    It is causing long tailbacks but I am sure the cycle lane by Deansgrange cemetery will be blamed. Even though it is not built yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The new measures on the Lower Kilmacud Road at Stillorgan Village are causing long delays for traffic coming off the N11. I was waiting at the traffic lights for four changes before getting through.
    Same on the other side. Traffic coming down the lower Kilmacud Road toward Stillorgan Village was backed up as was traffic coming from Mount Merrion. The traffic from Mount Merrion was backed up to the roundabout in the Mount Merrion.
    Lots of cars doing U Turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

The new measures on the Lower Kilmacud Road at Stillorgan Village are causing long delays for traffic coming off the N11. I was waiting at the traffic lights for four changes before getting through.
    Same on the other side. Traffic coming down the lower Kilmacud Road toward Stillorgan Village was backed up as was traffic coming from Mount Merrion. The traffic from Mount Merrion was backed up to the roundabout in the Mount Merrion.

Changes in road layouts almost always cause traffic delays as people get used to the new road layout or adjust their journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

markpb wrote: »
    Changes in road layouts almost always cause traffic delays as people get used to the new road layout or adjust their journeys.

This is the problem. People are avoiding trips to places where the traffic is bad or rat running through housing estates, as is happening in Mount Merrion, as people avoid driving through Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

markpb wrote: »

Changes in road layouts cause traffic delays because (at least in the last decade or so) they almost always result in significantly reduced throughput of road vehicles.

The adjustments people make are to attempt to dodge the improved junctions by using less suitable backroads, estate rat runs or just sitting in ever worsening jams.

See they have put a new kerb divider thingy on the cycle lane on Kill Lane and made the cycle lane a lot wider. Look a lot safer for cyclists but the kerb is not the most visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What new measures? Still two lanes of traffic each way, as their always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

GT89 wrote: »
    See they have put a new kerb divider thingy on the cycle lane on Kill Lane and made the cycle lane a lot wider. Look a lot safer for cyclists but the kerb is not the most visible.

Nope, I drove up there today at around 4:30, dark and rainy. Poor visibility of the kerb and the road felt very narrow.

Again, I’m a cyclist and I’ll enjoy using the new lanes. But they’re no fun for motorists and they will slow the buses down too.

• Advertisement

Nope, I drove up there today at around 4:30, dark and rainy. Poor visibility of the kerb and the road felt very narrow.

Again, I’m a cyclist and I’ll enjoy using the new lanes. But they’re no fun for motorists and they will slow the buses down too.

Yeah true the new design looks like it will give bus just about enough room

Advertisement