Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Deansgrange Rd proposed one way not going ahead due to volume of submissions against it, some common sense at last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

But they’re no fun for motorists and they will slow the buses down too.

Cars slow buses down. Buses have plenty of room - or at least they would have, if car drivers didn't have a habit of unnecessarily straddling the white line closest to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

pm1977x wrote: »
    Deansgrange Rd proposed one way not going ahead due to volume of submissions against it, some common sense at last!

Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see more major changes to the road infrastructure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see more major changes to the road infrastructure

It will all click into place in the end. Take a few weeks for people to get used then traffic levels will be back to normal. The chanbes aren't really that major.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nope, I drove up there today at around 4:30, dark and rainy. Poor visibility of the kerb and the road felt very narrow.

Again, I’m a cyclist and I’ll enjoy using the new lanes. But they’re no fun for motorists and they will slow the buses down too.

Thanks for sharing the good news about the slowing down. With 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits, these designs should help improve compliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

.anon. wrote: »
    Cars slow buses down. Buses have plenty of room - or at least they would have, if car drivers didn't have a habit of unnecessarily straddling the white line closest to them.

i wouldn't say buses have plenty of room - they have removed the bus lane from deansgrange to bakers heading towrds DL. there's one lane for all motor vehicles. i found it tight in my moderately sized Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Thanks for sharing the good news about the slowing down. With 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits, these designs should help improve compliance.

agree 100% - as a cyclist i'm always quick to point this out when motorists complain about cyclists and jumping red lights.

but my point was that the layout is slowing buses down considerably, probably more than cars that weave in and out breaking lane rules.

that just seems unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

i wouldn't say buses have plenty of room - they have removed the bus lane from deansgrange to bakers heading towrds DL. there's one lane for all motor vehicles. i found it tight in my moderately sized Golf.

I drove buses through there yesterday and today and found it fine, apart from the odd poorly positioned car. Buses have bigger mirrors and a higher driving position than cars, so it's easier to negotiate your way through tight spaces than in a car.

I agree that they need to make the kerb more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

There's a drive in Cinema down at the Ferry Terminal over Christmas.

Not a lot of Christmassy stuff around the town so might be worth a look if you have kids. €10 per car seems pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish Examiner reporting that the Government are to acquire two dedicated fisheries patrol ships for the Navy early in the new year to enforce post Brexit issues.

These ships will patrol the Irish Sea particularly and will be permanently based at Dun Laoghaire.

The vessels are believed to be being bought as surplus from a foreign Navy (potentially two that New Zealand are selling) and will be about 50m in length with a crew of 20-30 each. Any investment in the Harbour and some potential cash flow from the crew around town is to be welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Irish Examiner reporting that the Government are to acquire two dedicated fisheries patrol ships for the Navy early in the new year to enforce post Brexit issues.

These ships will patrol the Irish Sea particularly and will be permanently based at Dun Laoghaire.

The vessels are believed to be being bought as surplus from a foreign Navy (potentially two that New Zealand are selling) and will be about 50m in length with a crew of 20-30 each. Any investment in the Harbour and some potential cash flow from the crew around town is to be welcomed.

That’s 40-60 staff , they’ve boats tied up in Cotk that they can’t crew. It’ll be interesting to see how and if they manage.
    Does the customs boat ever get used there. It’s often tied up for along time.

If it’s based in Dun Laoighre will there be a barracks ? What’s the story with the houses beside Irish lights and MGM?

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s 40-60 staff , they’ve boats tied up in Cotk that they can’t crew. It’ll be interesting to see how and if they manage.
    Does the customs boat ever get used there. It’s often tied up for along time.

If it’s based in Dun Laoighre will there be a barracks ? What’s the story with the houses beside Irish lights and MGM?

Don't know about the Customs Boat, I've seen it out and about a couple of times.

The talk about the new Ships, fast patrol boats really, is that they will replace two old Ships on the fleet, Orla and Ciara. They are almost 40 years old, with all that entails and they require a larger crew than these NZ vessel, so overall it would free up resources.

Simon Coveney has been talking lately about getting Reserve Defence Forces members more involved, so that could be an option for some of the Crew of Dun Laoghaire based ships.

I don't know who might own the old Coastguard Station, as those old buildings are called. I believe they used to house Sea Scout and Slua Muirí gatherings, maybe they still do, so they could well belong to the Harbour, so hence the County Council these days. With a bit of work maybe they are an option for a shore base and barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't know who might own the old Coastguard Station, as those old buildings are called. I believe they used to house Sea Scout and Slua Muirí gatherings, maybe they still do, so they could well belong to the Harbour, so hence the County Council these days. With a bit of work maybe they are an option for a shore base and barracks.

DLR are looking to refurbish them to be used as social housing

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/48585-dlrcoco-aims-to-restore-harbour-s-coastguard-cottages-as-social-housing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I notice “Sat” stickers have been put over the “Fri” on the former Mon-Fri of the Pay & Display signs in the parking areas at Newtownsmith and behind the West Pier (The Gut), so only Sundays free now.

What sneaking nastiness is this? I think I remember a few years ago that Newtownsmith went full 7-days/week, but was then restored to Mon-Fri after objections. And I think The Gut was free until it was decided too many Dart commuters were using it. But surely Sat Darter use would be minimal, particularly in the COVID era?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Does anyone know if the People's market is still running on Sundays under level 5 lockdown, did it during the previous one?

I know 'normal' restaurants are allowed to be open to do takeaway, so I'd hope/presume so? But can't find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Blut2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the People's market is still running on Sundays under level 5 lockdown, did it during the previous one?

I know 'normal' restaurants are allowed to be open to do takeaway, so I'd hope/presume so? But can't find anything online.

Hopefully not, the less people gathering the better at the moment, even outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I notice “Sat” stickers have been put over the “Fri” on the former Mon-Fri of the Pay & Display signs in the parking areas at Newtownsmith and behind the West Pier (The Gut), so only Sundays free now.

What sneaking nastiness is this? I think I remember a few years ago that Newtownsmith went full 24/7, but was then restored to Mon-Fri after objections. And I think The Gut was free until it was decided too many Dart commuters were using it. But surely Sat Darter use would be minimal, particularly in the COVID era?

Same thing around Blackrock.

What sneaking nastiness is this?

Ask your County Councillors. They voted for the budget to do this and for the Bye-laws that cover the regime. It was entirely at their discretion not to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

No it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Same thing around Blackrock.

The recent bye-laws seem to have a few sneaky/silly changes. Paid parking now only on certain (6 out of 9) Bank Holidays (this seems really stupid as it will cause needless confusion and aggravation). Secondly, the across the board switch to Mon-Sat (as far as I can see). There didn't seem to be any need for this change. Even high profile Mon-Fri carparks e.g. Salthill DART were rarely busy on a Sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Awaaf wrote: »
    The recent bye-laws seem to have a few sneaky/silly changes. Paid parking now only on certain (6 out of 9) Bank Holidays (this seems really stupid as it will cause needless confusion and aggravation). Secondly, the across the board switch to Mon-Sat (as far as I can see). There didn't seem to be any need for this change. Even high profile Mon-Fri carparks e.g. Salthill DART were rarely busy on a Sat.
    They don't want people coming in cars and enjoying themselves there.
    Either stay at home, do something local or get a bike and lycra if you like Dun Laoghaire etc areas.

Either stay at home, do something local or get a bike and lycra if you like Dun Laoghaire etc areas.

Or just pay for parking. Most the car parks are often full on Saturdays too.

They cost money to provide.

Awaaf wrote: »
    Where is the bank holiday info displayed? (I've tried looking on the DLRCOCO website, but it seems rather user-unfriendly /poorly-updated(?))

I doubt many people enjoy themselves in a carpark per se :rolleyes:. However my elderly relatives do benefit from sitting there to enjoy the view, or walk a few steps from the car.

I doubt I'll be able to get them out on a bike, but do cycle myself around the area. However being able to run along the seafront/piers myself is a small blessing in these miserable days, but bringing a heavy lock to secure my bike, and cycle back in the cold and maybe wet maybe wet afterwards, is not so appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

You're talking as if the car parking spaces have been destroyed. They haven't, they're now just pay & display for a few extra hours a week.

If the demand is there that people will pay to park then its a great decision. More badly needed funding for works in the local area.

Where is the bank holiday info displayed? (I've tried looking on the DLRCOCO website, but it seems rather user-unfriendly /poorly-updated(?))
    Page 19:
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/parking_control_bye-laws_2020.pdf

It used to include all bank holidays

If the demand is there that people will pay to park then its a great decision. More badly needed funding for works in the local area.

I guess thats one point of view.

Another is that with half the Country on salary life support, its anti-social and anti-Community.

The parking regime in DLR County was originally brought in to tackle commuter parking clogging up business and residential areas, often dangerously.

This meant the hours of operation were matched to the hours of incoming commuter demand, 8am-7pm, Monday to Friday in most places, Monday to Saturday in busier shopping towns to keep spaces turning over.

It seems to me, if the parking regime is now being increasingly used only to raise revenue, that it has exceeded its original raison d'etre, and the local authority and its members need to be asked to justify where traffic management ends and interference in ordinary social and community life begins. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You're talking as if the car parking spaces have been destroyed. They haven't, they're now just pay & display for a few extra hours a week.

I’d agree with this

People will pay if they want to park there it’s not as if the cost is going to change your decision to go somewhere .

If anything it’s better as it means people will leave when their allotted time is up freeing up spaces.

ted1 wrote: »
    Thanks, though that seems to refer only to the harbour areas proper, which are all 7 days/week anyway

• Advertisement

My preference would be to sacrifice that small amount of income on days when most usage is just recreational to give us a small reprieve from the miserableness :pac: of having to feed meters and stress about return times for a quick walk/run in the vicinity. And yes, I should/will probably make this known to the councillors, as Labre34 suggested

Advertisement