Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks, though that seems to refer only to the harbour areas proper, which are all 7 days/week anyway

Nope. They are the council parking bye laws for the area. You need to look at appendix 1. Which is the areas outside the harbour

My preference would be to sacrifice that small amount of income on days when most usage is just recreational to give us a small reprieve from the miserableness :pac: of having to feed meters and stress about return times for a quick walk/run in the vicinity. And yes, I should/will probably make this known to the councillors, as Labre34 suggested

Use the app. It’s cheaper, removes the need to feed the meter or stress/worry about return times as you can top it it from anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I guess thats one point of view.

Another is that with half the Country on salary life support, its anti-social and anti-Community.

The parking regime in DLR County was originally brought in to tackle commuter parking clogging up business and residential areas, often dangerously.

This meant the hours of operation were matched to the hours of incoming commuter demand, 8am-7pm, Monday to Friday in most places, Monday to Saturday in busier shopping towns to keep spaces turning over.

It seems to me, if the parking regime is now being increasingly used only to raise revenue, that it has exceeded its original raison d'etre, and the local authority and its members need to be asked to justify where traffic management ends and interference in ordinary social and community life begins. Just my opinion.

Why would the more privileged visitors to the area be entitled to free storage space for their private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I guess thats one point of view.

Another is that with half the Country on salary life support, its anti-social and anti-Community.

The parking regime in DLR County was originally brought in to tackle commuter parking clogging up business and residential areas, often dangerously.

This meant the hours of operation were matched to the hours of incoming commuter demand, 8am-7pm, Monday to Friday in most places, Monday to Saturday in busier shopping towns to keep spaces turning over.

It seems to me, if the parking regime is now being increasingly used only to raise revenue, that it has exceeded its original raison d'etre, and the local authority and its members need to be asked to justify where traffic management ends and interference in ordinary social and community life begins. Just my opinion.

How is raising money from the well off in the community (those who can afford cars, and can afford to pay for recreational parking) anti-social and anti-community? That money will be reinvested into the community in the form of things like parks and community development, that poorer people can use for free - pretty much the very definition of pro-social and pro-community.

Its pretty much the definition of progressive taxation, exactly whats needed at a time like this when community budgets are going to get squeezed massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

ted1 wrote: »
    Nope. They are the council parking bye laws for the area. You need to look at appendix 1. Which is the areas outside the harbour
    ? Appendix I doesn't mention bank holidays. The only mention I can find is in Appendix II (harbour)

• Advertisement

Use the app. It’s cheaper, removes the need to feed the meter or stress/worry about return times as you can top it it from anywhere
    The "Parking Tag" pay-by-call/text (not an app as such)? I suppose that would help if you can pay extra remotely if you're running over (or running too slow!), but still a pain, and requires bringing a phone on the person

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The "Parking Tag" pay-by-call/text (not an app as such)? I suppose that would help if you can pay extra remotely if you're running over (or running too slow!), but still a pain, and requires bringing a phone on the person

Anyone putting coins in a meter in this day and age needs to get with it :D the app takes seconds it’s absolutely not a pain and the vast vast majority of people always have their phone on them . Put it this way I’m about 100 times more likely to have my phone than a 2 euro coin .

And it is an app, a decent one as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Blut2 wrote: »
    You're talking as if the car parking spaces have been destroyed. They haven't, they're now just pay & display for a few extra hours a week.

If the demand is there that people will pay to park then its a great decision. More badly needed funding for works in the local area.
    DLRCOCO is one of the richest in the country, it doesn't badly need money for works. Anyway the extra cash will be used to roll out more anti car measures so who wants to contribute to their own demise.

BTW there are a lot of car spaces destroyed, at the 40ft, at various lay by along the seafront, and all along killiney hill. Putting the paw out for more cash from the hated motorist is a bit rank
    Why would the more privileged visitors to the area be entitled to free storage space for their private property?
    You mean the bike stands?

BTW there are a lot of car spaces destroyed, at the 40ft, at various lay by along the seafront, and all along killiney hill.

Genuine qn what car park spaces are gone on Killiney hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Cyrus wrote: »
    Genuine qn what car park spaces are gone on Killiney hill ?
    All the spaces on the Vico road. Doesn't help especially with the lockdown the main car park is thronged down to the road on busy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

double post

Cyrus wrote: »
    Anyone putting coins in a meter in this day and age needs to get with it :D the app takes seconds it’s absolutely not a pain and the vast vast majority of people always have their phone on them . Put it this way I’m about 100 times more likely to have my phone than a 2 euro coin .

And it is an app, a decent one as it goes.
    Ah, I’ve found it on the Google Play Store now – DLR website didn’t make it clear there was an actual app to (presumably) do the equivalent of send the info by text. That’s good, though the reviews (for what they’re worth – I know the motivation to post problems is much greater than praise) are impressively negative. Also someone flags the following interesting (if true) consideration “Allows you car to be identified as soon as your time is up and so clampers can cherry pick your car for clamping...” Also apparently a monthly fee, and automatically tops itself from your bank etc.

Re having phone on me: In car (while parking) sure, but I don't necessarily always want to have to carry it in my hand /jiggling in a pocket /strapped to me while running (to take advantage of the ability to top up parking if going to be late back, assuming I've remembered to set an alarm...groan :p)

It is very much an app , used by many other councils such as Dublin City.

It you don’t carry a phone you are very much in the minority, abs that reflects on you and not in the council

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/parking-tag/id716673381

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.payzone.parkingtag&hl=en_GB

? Appendix I doesn't mention bank holidays. The only mention I can find is in Appendix II (harbour)

Appendix 1 details the parking in the borough

Appendix 2 details specifics which relate the the harbour. The bye laws cover the areas in the whole borough

It is very much an app , used by many other councils such as Dublin City.

It you don’t carry a phone you are very much in the minority, abs that reflects on you and not in the council

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/parking-tag/id716673381

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.payzone.parkingtag&hl=en_GB
    (Thanks, see my reply to the other poster above yours, uploaded almost simultaneously)

The app is the business!

All the spaces on the Vico road. Doesn't help especially with the lockdown the main car park is thronged down to the road on busy days.

Many of those have been reinstated. The ones that haven’t should never have been as the Space was wide enough for a car.

Only loss of parking on the seafront is there ?
    In fact many have been made more accessible as people are cycling instead of driving

Appendix 1 details the parking in the borough

Appendix 2 details specifics which relate the the harbour. The bye laws cover the areas in the whole borough
    I still don't see how that would convey that the statement about bank holidays covers the whole borough if it is located only in Appendix II

Re having phone on me: In car (while parking) sure, but I don't necessarily always want to have to carry it in my hand /jiggling in a pocket /strapped to me while running (to take advantage of the ability to top up parking if going to be late back, assuming I've remembered to set an alarm...groan :p)

I find running belts works best. Hold phone , car key. Very handy as doesn’t jiggle etc. Very handy if you use Bluetooth ear phones and also want to use Strava or similar.

I still don't see how that would convey that the statement about bank holidays covers the whole borough if it is located only in Appendix I

Did you rad the doc?

Main body contains the laws including the bank holidays

Appendix 1 details the charges, zones that the main body relates to.

Appendix 2 fire the same but is specific to the harbour

• Advertisement

Ah, I’ve found it on the Google Play Store now – DLR website didn’t make it clear there was an actual app to (presumably) do the equivalent of send the info by text. That’s good, though the reviews (for what they’re worth – I know the motivation to post problems is much greater than praise) are impressively negative. Also someone flags the following interesting (if true) consideration “Allows you car to be identified as soon as your time is up and so clampers can cherry pick your car for clamping...” Also apparently a monthly fee, and automatically tops itself from your bank etc.

No monthly fee , maybe you prepay I can’t remember I set it up so long ago but it tops up automatically, but there is no fee apart from the parking fee.

And as the other poster said a running belt or a pocket , I manage to run with an iPhone pro max in my pocket so must be doable :D

Those ones shouldn’t have been there to be fair(vico ) and if I’m honest it would be better in the park itself if there was no parking on the road , it’s a shambles on a busy day .

Did you rad the doc?

Main body contains the laws including the bank holidays

Appendix 1 details the charges, zones that the main body relates to.

Appendix 2 fire the same but is specific to the harbour
    Exactly, Appendix II (sorry - I initially shot mself in the foot by writing I in my last post, then did a ninja edit but not fast enough for your reply!) is specific to the harbour, and it is ONLY there that the bank holiday statement appears.

Exactly, Appendix II (sorry - I initially shot mself in the foot by writing I in my last post, then did a ninja edit but not fast enough for your reply!) is specific to the harbour, and it is ONLY there that the bank holiday statement appears.

Didn’t spot that. That means that there is no free parking at bank holidays in the harbour as opposed to the rest. If the county.

My take on that is that the harbour police enforce the parking in the harbour and work 365. But that a private contractor look after the rest and dint want to pay staff the bank holiday rate, so there’s no one to enforce parking laws

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You might see things that way, I don't.

I daresay a show of hands would show a big majority on my side of opinion too. There are more important things to promoting our social interaction and community life than monetising every inch of the public realm.

Didn’t spot that. That means that there is no free parking at bank holidays in the harbour as opposed to the rest. If the county.

My take on that is that the harbour police enforce the parking in the harbour and work 365. But that a private contractor look after the rest and dint want to pay staff the bank holiday rate, so there’s no one to enforce parking laws
    Perhaps. I suppose we don't really know what the bank hol status of the rest of the region is, at least from this doc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My preference would be to sacrifice that small amount of income on days when most usage is just recreational to give us a small reprieve from the miserableness :pac: of having to feed meters and stress about return times for a quick walk/run in the vicinity. And yes, I should/will probably make this known to the councillors, as Labre34 suggested

Unfortunately, human behaviour is such that the same small number of cars would park for the entire time. By all means advocate for a reduced charge but even a minimum charge like 50c deters all day parking thereby freeing up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

From experience I will say that the cherry picking aspect, if it exists in Dublin, is nothing compared with elsewhere. In London I have been ticketed within 2 minutes of expiry as it identifies a small number of spaces whereas in Dublin I have experienced the squeaky bum time of realising it expired an hour before with no issue. The only time I got a clamp was when I paid for the wrong reg.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Unfortunately, human behaviour is such that the same small number of cars would park for the entire time. By all means advocate for a reduced charge but even a minimum charge like 50c deters all day parking thereby freeing up space.
    Perhaps, though I find it hard to imagine hogging is a much bigger issue on Saturdays than Sundays, and if you mean a 50c flat fee, then hoggers would be incentivised to get the most value from their payment!

• Advertisement

Ok so doc is very clear (if silly) on bank hols. In the Harbour as per Appendix II you can **** right off and must pay regardless every day of the year. In the rest of DLR you get to go free on (randomly) 3 of the 9 BHs i.e. St. Patrick’s Day 17th March, Christmas Day 25th December and St. Stephen’s Day 26th December

Advertisement