Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It's really the reverse - the privileged motorist is putting the paw out, expecting the State to subsidise their transport choices.

No, when I referred to privileged, I was referring to the transport mode that costs thousands to acquire and maintain (motorists) not the transport mode that gets people on the road for maybe €100.

What's the connection between parking and 'promoting social interaction and community life'? If anything, parking is enabling people who have no community connection to come into the area. Lack of parking is far more encouraging to social interaction and community life.
    Again, cyclist receive 100's every few year to spend on bikes of their choice and get free parking and use of roads for same. They are the privelidged ones, most guys I know into cycling happily spend 2 - 3k on a bike occassionaly used for biking to work. More luck to them and their grant.

We all shouldn't live in our own little bubbles determined to keep the outsiders out of the area. There was a time in Ireland when dancing at the crossroads for pedal pushers was about the height of the entertainment for local yokels.
    That has come and gone and the world is more inclusive and cosmopolitan than that. Maybe you should stay in your 5km radius permanently if you feel that strong about it. Watch out for those dryrobes tho, they're bad eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Again, cyclist receive 100's every few year to spend on bikes of their choice and get free parking and use of roads for same. They are the privelidged ones, most guys I know into cycling happily spend 2 - 3k on a bike occassionaly used for biking to work. More luck to them and their grant.
    That's interesting, where do I apply for the 100s of euro? Is this some new scheme, because I've never heard of any grant scheme giving out money for bikes?

And if you have a sec, please compare this grant scheme that you're talking about to the grant scheme for electric vehicles, and tell me again who is priviliged?

By 'free parking' I presume you mean the large number of traffic poles and small number of dedicated cycle parking spaces and even smaller number of decent quality dedicated cycle parking spaces that allow you to lock something more than your removable front wheel?

Most people that I know who spend 2k-3k on a bike aren't going to leave it in a work bike shed, because there's a good chance it won't be there when they get back, and if it is, it will be wrecked after getting a few good bangs from the two €150 bike owners locked on either side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Again, cyclist receive 100's every few year to spend on bikes of their choice and get free parking and use of roads for same

Come again ? Are you talking about the bike to work scheme ? It’s only about 480 euro , every 5 years. So works out as a tax saving of 98 euro a year. Bus and rail users get a tax saving of 1200 every year and their journeys are still subsided. The bike 2 work is only available to PAYE workers. So not to kids, students, unemployed or self employed.

Drivers with hybrid or electric cars recurve grants worth thousands

Parking is free , because it’s so much cheaper to provide. 1 car space is equal 10 bike spaces, however the bike space doesn’t cost a fortune as bikes are lighter abs don’t need the sane civil works to install.

Also lots of the new spaces are being Paid for by the bike sharing companies, there’s a levy per bike which is used to provide spaces

People from outside the area are more the welcome.
    They can come on. Bike, BUS, DART, foot, or drive ( just park legally) charges are a good way to get those from outside the council to contribute as they are using services paid for by the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

ted1 wrote: »
    Come again ? Are you talking about the bike to work scheme ? It’s only about 480 euro , every 5 years. So works out as a tax saving of 98 euro a year. Bus and rail users get a tax saving of 1200 every year and their journeys are still subsided. The bike 2 work is only available to PAYE workers. So not to kids, students, unemployed or self employed.

Drivers with hybrid or electric cars recurve grants worth thousands

Parking is free , because it’s so much cheaper to provide. 1 car space is equal 10 bike spaces, however the bike space doesn’t cost a fortune as bikes are lighter abs don’t need the sane civil works to install.

Also lots of the new spaces are being Paid for by the bike sharing companies, there’s a levy per bike which is used to provide spaces

People from outside the area are more the welcome.
    They can come on. Bike, BUS, DART, foot, or drive ( just park legally) charges are a good way to get those from outside the council to contribute as they are using services paid for by the LPT.

You can spend up to €1250 on the bike to work scheme on bike and accessories. Where does your €480 come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Figures are based on the tax benefit to a higher rate payer on previous max spend of €1000. Benefit would be less for a standard rate tax payer. You still have to pay for the bike out of your own pocket. Figure was changed to €1250 in the last year or two which would increase the tax benefit correspondingly.

• Advertisement

qb123 wrote: »
    Figures are based on the tax benefit to a higher rate payer on previous max spend of €1000. Benefit would be less for a standard rate tax payer. You still have to pay for the bike out of your own pocket. Figure was changed to €1250 in the last year or two which would increase the tax benefit correspondingly.

You dont have to pay for the bike from your own pocket if your company is in the bike to work scheme. You get approval, get an invoice, present it to your company and they pay fo the bike.

You can spend up to €1250 on the bike to work scheme on bike and accessories. Where does your €480 come from?
    It was 1000.

The 1250 isn’t free. It just means that what ever tax you pay on 1250 you get back.

The 480 was the tax benefit. So now about 600

What happens is employer writes a cheque to shop for 1250.
    He then takes 105 euro out of your wages each month.
    You end up paying about 60 euro. As the other 45 is tax savings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

There's no need to feel pinned down, simply use the app to extend your parking. it really is that simple, or park in the harbour and enjoy the all day parking option.

or alternatively, park in the shopping centres, or one of the car parks where you pay when you leave.

Or cycle or use public transport. I don't think there many who go to DL on a regualr basis that cannot use public transport easily it is probably one of the best served areas by public transport in Ireland. Not many places I can think of that are served by three high frequency routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GT89 wrote: »
    Or cycle or use public transport. I don't think there many who go to DL on a regualr basis that cannot use public transport easily it is probably one of the best served areas by public transport in Ireland.

People in cars spend bigger in the smaller shops, which is needed for the town, people on bicycles and buses don't as they can't bring it away easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

duploelabs wrote: »
    people on bicycles and buses don't as they can't bring it away easily

Are you familiar with the concept of a bag?

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the concept of a bag?

I did say easily, exactly how much can you fit in a bag and then cycle safely on today's roads

People in cars spend bigger in the smaller shops, which is needed for the town, people on bicycles and buses don't as they can't bring it away easily

DL is not really a shopping area it's more a place where people go to enjoy a weekend afternoon. What are people going to buying that is not easy to carry. There aren't many furniture or electrical shops in Dun Laoghaire people more go tk places like Carrickmines for that kind of stuff.

DL is not really a shopping area it's more a place where people go to enjoy a weekend afternoon. What are people going to buying that is not easy to carry. There aren't many furniture or electrical shops in Dun Laoghaire people more go tk places like Carrickmines for that kind of stuff.

Not there for shopping?? are you expecting the main street to be a ghost town during the week? You're aware that small shops and business cannot take units in carrickmines right?

It was 1000.

The 1250 isn’t free. It just means that what ever tax you pay on 1250 you get back.

The 480 was the tax benefit. So now about 600

What happens is employer writes a cheque to shop for 1250.
    He then takes 105 euro out of your wages each month.
    You end up paying about 60 euro. As the other 45 is tax savings.

Never suggested that the 1250 was "free"

Or cycle or use public transport. I don't think there many who go to DL on a regualr basis that cannot use public transport easily it is probably one of the best served areas by public transport in Ireland. Not many places I can think of that are served by three high frequency routes.

Did you delete the part where I said BIKE, BUS or DART?

You'd be surprised.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23shopbybike%20&src=typed_query&f=image

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/11/16/cyclists-spend-40-more-in-londons-shops-than-motorists/

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Em, I think Bespoke Sofa company, Just Beds, Lost Weekend, Meadows and Byrne can start to cater for your furniture needs. And aside from electrical goods, there's not much shopping that can't be done in Dun Laoghaire: my challenge would be to name what you can't get there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Em, I think Bespoke Sofa company, Just Beds, Lost Weekend, Meadows and Byrne can start to cater for your furniture needs. And aside from electrical goods, there's not much shopping that can't be done in Dun Laoghaire: my challenge would be to name what you can't get there.

Argos, often a pain not having parking adjacent to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Argos, often a pain not having parking adjacent to there.

Is the Bloomfields car park not beside Argos in DL?

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is the Bloomfields car park not beside Argos in DL?

With a minimum charge of €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Some people are never happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

You dont have to pay for the bike from your own pocket if your company is in the bike to work scheme. You get approval, get an invoice, present it to your company and they pay fo the bike.

That's not how it works. It's deducted directly from your salary at source - works like pension contributions. That's where the tax benefit accrues. Unless your company is particularly generous and buys bikes for all its employees!

Why would you expect free storage space for your private property?

If I'm stopping for a good coffee, I'd be grand to spend the 50c min on a street parking place rather than the cost of the actual coffee in a car park so given that there's a reduction in those street parking spots, you can see a knock on with the low value footfall retail like curious monkey coffee company for example

That's not how it works. It's deducted directly from your salary at source - works like pension contributions. That's where the tax benefit accrues. Unless your company is particularly generous and buys bikes for all its employees!

You can opt to have the payment taken monthly or bi weekly. You dont have to pay for it in one lump

You can opt to have the payment taken monthly or bi weekly. You dont have to pay for it in one lump

Many employers allow the cost to be spread over a year, but not all. It's not part of the scheme rules.

New storage space for private property has been installed all over Dun Laoghaire for free, maybe that should be charged for as well.

Aegir wrote: »
    New storage space for private property has been installed all over Dun Laoghaire for free, maybe that should be charged for as well.

Just in case this is too subtle for some, I'm guessing that this refers to the relatively small number of bike stands installed around DLR recently, probably a few hundred stands in all. I'd have no difficulty in charging for these on a proportional basis, reflecting the amount of space provided (maybe an 8:1 ratio to car parking), the degree of security provided that the item will still be there when you return, and the quantity of alternative free storage provided at other locations.

All that is going to make cycle storage very cheap, possibly too cheap to be worth collecting, or else car storage costs will increase considerably.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I suppose if you are spending 10 euro in Argos maybe an issue but if you are spending a substantial amount then probably less of an impact. The next nearest Argos is Dundrum which is also paid parking. You could go to Nutgrove but hard to see how you would save the 3 euro by driving over and back..

• Advertisement

And I'm sure they all deliver

Advertisement