Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

Just in case this is too subtle for some, I'm guessing that this refers to the relatively small number of bike stands installed around DLR recently, probably a few hundred stands in all. I'd have no difficulty in charging for these on a proportional basis, reflecting the amount of space provided (maybe an 8:1 ratio to car parking), the degree of security provided that the item will still be there when you return, and the quantity of alternative free storage provided at other locations.

All that is going to make cycle storage very cheap, possibly too cheap to be worth collecting, or else car storage costs will increase considerably.

Be careful what you wish for.

so the council is paying for the storage of private property?

Can you drop this somewhat tiresome phrase please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I suppose if you are spending 10 euro in Argos maybe an issue but if you are spending a substantial amount then probably less of an impact. The next nearest Argos is Dundrum which is also paid parking. You could go to Nutgrove but hard to see how you would save the 3 euro by driving over and back..

My point is based on a proportion of the parking costs versus the spend with the retailer. Having higher parking costs directly affects the SME retailers, like coffee shops, who's clientele would have a less euro spend per visit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I suppose if you are spending 10 euro in Argos maybe an issue but if you are spending a substantial amount then probably less of an impact. The next nearest Argos is Dundrum which is also paid parking. You could go to Nutgrove but hard to see how you would save the 3 euro by driving over and back..

Can usually park in Georges pl and be up and back from Argos before anybody knows I'm there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Mav11 wrote: »
    Can usually park in Georges pl and be up and back from Argos before anybody knows I'm there:D

This has been my strategy around DL for about 15 years (I have never got a ticket)! I do pay when I am staying longer but not for quick visits. At this stage if I get done I will pay with good grace as I will still be quids in. Quit the moaning folks and get on with life (and support the great businesses around the town!)

Awaaf wrote: »
    This has been my strategy around DL for about 15 years (I have never got a ticket)! I do pay when I am staying longer but not for quick visits. At this stage if I get done I will pay with good grace as I will still be quids in. Quit the moaning folks and get on with life (and support the great businesses around the town!)

Getting increasingly difficult to get a ticket anyway. Haven’t carried cash or coins almost 12 months now and working meters that take a card seem to be rarer than hens teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Getting increasingly difficult to get a ticket anyway. Haven’t carried cash or coins almost 12 months now and working meters that take a card seem to be rarer than hens teeth.

how are people still scrabbling around for coins to pay for parking? get the app ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Cyrus wrote: »
    how are people still scrabbling around for coins to pay for parking? get the app ffs :D

Some people like pain :)

There's also the website (for people who only park occasionally) and SMS for people who don't own smart phones.

Why would anybody want the burden of yet another app clogging up their phone, when there is a perfectly good tap and go alternative, if only they got it working properly.

Why would anybody want the burden of yet another app clogging up their phone, when there is a perfectly good tap and go alternative, if only they got it working properly.

burden of an app clogging up your phone?

or the solution to the problem you just said you had.

burden of an app clogging up your phone?

or the solution to the problem you just said you had.

I think you might need to re read the problem, before jumping to solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Several reasons:

Topping up to extend your stay.
    Parking for only 15 minutes. etc

Cheaper parking rates.

ted1 wrote: »
    Several reasons:

Topping up to extend your stay.
    Parking for only 15 minutes. etc

Cheaper parking rates.

By all means, if that’s what turns you on.

I think you might need to re read the problem, before jumping to solutions.

your problem is paying for parking, the app is the solution.

you are too focused on your specific bug bear rather than looking for the easiest solution.

your problem is paying for parking, the app is the solution.

you are too focused on your specific bug bear rather than looking for the easiest solution.

Post #1894 I don’t have a problem with paying for parking. You really need to read what is actually posted, not what you think is posted.

Post #1894 I don’t have a problem with paying for parking. You really need to read what is actually posted, not what you think is posted.

its hard to continue to be nice but i will perservere.

you do have a problem paying for parking, not with the concept but with the act itself. You say you don't carry coins and you can't tap. One presumes you do carry your phone and have opposable thumbs, therefore the very useful app is the answer to your problem.

You are welcome.

if you put half as much effort into trying out the app as you have into this futile argument you'd be laughing.

its hard to continue to be nice but i will perservere.

you do have a problem paying for parking, not with the concept but with the act itself. You say you don't carry coins and you can't tap. One presumes you do carry your phone and have opposable thumbs, therefore the very useful app is the answer to your problem.

You are welcome.

if you put half as much effort into trying out the app as you have into this futile argument you'd be laughing.

You are being very presumptuous but I’ll overlook that.

Again, if you read the posts I have no problem with paying for parking. I did observe that infrastructure has been put in place which allows for tap and go card payments. This infrastructure is very welcome but not working very well.

An app, no matter how good it is can fix that. Now I can’t simplify the issue any further but you are very welcome.

By all means, if that’s what turns you on.

Bit of a knob.

Why post about nut being able to use meters if you are going to get childish when people give a response

Bit of a knob.

Why post about nut being able to use meters if you are going to get childish when people give a response

Getting very personal with the name calling there ted!

You are being very presumptuous but I’ll overlook that.

Again, if you read the posts I have no problem with paying for parking. I did observe that infrastructure has been put in place which allows for tap and go card payments. This infrastructure is very welcome but not working very well.

An app, no matter how good it is can fix that. Now I can’t simplify the issue any further but you are very welcome.

its very simple, you are looking for an easy way to pay for your parking, there is no easier way than the app, you dont even need to get out of the car to do it.

For some reason you want to continue to argue against this, i have no idea why.

its very simple, you are looking for an easy way to pay for your parking, there is no easier way than the app, you dont even need to get out of the car to do it.

For some reason you want to continue to argue against this, i have no idea why.

Not arguing against the use of an app for those that want to use it. Making a case for ensuring that existing alternative methods for payment are fixed for those that want to use them.

• Advertisement

Not arguing against the use of an app for those that want to use it. Making a case for ensuring that existing alternative methods for payment are fixed for those that want to use them.

hopefully they will set them up to accept postage stamps and maybe a barter system in the coming years :)

Getting very personal with the name calling there ted!

I didn’t call you a name. I made a statement.

hopefully they will set them up to accept postage stamps and maybe a barter system in the coming years :)

So when the argument is lost, that's what we revert to. Sounds a bit Trumpian really.

I didn’t call you a name. I made a statement.

I could reciprocate but......

So when the argument is lost, that's what we revert to. Sounds a bit Trumpian really.

don't flatter yourself sweetheart, you won nothing :pac:

don't flatter yourself sweetheart, you won nothing :pac:

Lat time I'll say it, you have to read the posts :D

Lat time I'll say it, you have to read the posts :D

yes, they do paint you in a certain light :D

yes, they do paint you in a certain light :D

Yes indeed, as somebody who sees that there is more to life than apps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Feck me, it's like dealing with a bunch of school kids! I've enough of that with my lot home schooling. Now behave or else I'll give you all lines

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Feck me, it's like dealing with a bunch of school kids! I've enough of that with my lot home schooling. Now behave or else I'll give you all lines

Glad we brightened up the day!!

Advertisement