Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

frash wrote: »
    http://www.oliveto.ie/

Ask for a table by the window - overlooks the East pier

Great pizzas but just checked & they do fish & steak too.

I used to go to the Kingston a lot for lunch, especially for the view you mention.
    But I find Oliveto's pricey for lunch, considering the decor.
    Is it better value in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

josip wrote: »
    I used to go to the Kingston a lot for lunch, especially for the view you mention.
    But I find Oliveto's pricey for lunch, considering the decor.
    Is it better value in the evening?

Lunch menu
    Dinner menu
    Will let you decide.

I only ever go for an early bird with the kids & we always just get pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Shouldnt that be KILMORE Quay cod on the menu or is there a KYLEMORE Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Glenalla wrote: »
    Shouldnt that be KILMORE Quay cod on the menu or is there a KYLEMORE Quay?

Last week specials included "Muscles"!

Hi all, moved here (Killiney) last year and looked forward to spending time back in Dunlaoghaire (used to live here 10 years ago for a while).
    Unfortunately due to the draconian parking enforcement and lack of proper organisation regarding the rates applied to parking, (should have a smaller amount for the first hour or two and then increases should apply to encourage short shopping trips and discourage all day parking in front of shops), I have now decided to avoid the area and shop at Stillorgan, Killiney Shopping Centre, Rushes Dalkey and Carrickmines instead, all of which have ample parking.
    It is unfortunate DLR Coco cant see what they are doing to an already quite run down area by not adjusting the parking fees to suit short trips. This area needs local shoppers and could be fantastic. Forget bringing cruise ships in and whatever, get the locals to support Dunlaoghaire which will be year round trade, a much easier and achievable solution than tourism attraction.
    As I stated I am new back to the area and may have got the picture wrong so what are everyones opinions on this.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Parking in DL has been done to death in this and other threads. Your opinion seems to be essentially the prevailing one.

If you are living in Killiney, then your local Councillors are on DLR Council and have a role in setting the Parking regime. Perhaps tell them what you posted, but the argument of charging on street against private commercial premises that have the space to allow free customer parking has been well rehearsed.

Hi all, moved here (Killiney) last year and looked forward to spending time back in Dunlaoghaire (used to live here 10 years ago for a while).
    Unfortunately due to the draconian parking enforcement and lack of proper organisation

Killiney to Dun Laogharie is a mere 4 km. You could WALK, or gawd forbid CYCLE, run or use public transport

Just to remind you, we have the fastest growing population in Europe and everyone and their multiple off springs wants to drive. Something has to give.

I am tired of listening to people complaining about parking charges in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Unfortunately due to the draconian parking enforcement and lack of proper organisation regarding the rates applied to parking, (should have a smaller amount for the first hour or two and then increases should apply to encourage short shopping trips and discourage all day parking in front of shops), I have now decided to avoid the area and shop at Stillorgan, Killiney Shopping Centre, Rushes Dalkey and Carrickmines instead, all of which have ample parking.
    It is unfortunate DLR Coco cant see what they are doing to an already quite run down area by not adjusting the parking fees to suit short trips. This area needs local shoppers and could be fantastic. Forget bringing cruise ships in and whatever, get the locals to support Dunlaoghaire which will be year round trade, a much easier and achievable solution than tourism attraction.
    As I stated I am new back to the area and may have got the picture wrong so what are everyones opinions on this.
    Thanks

All you seem to want to do is go to a mid sized supervalu type supermarket (Killiney Sc, Rushes) or a soulless retail park off the M50?.

You can park in Bloomfields shopping centre and avail of the 2 hour free parking if you spend EUR30 at Tesco. Then you could avail yourself of the likes of Hick's and Lambe's for fresh meat/fish and White Tea or the Silver Moon for lunch/tea.
    Parking is free on Sunday when you could head to the Peoples' Park market (run by DL COCO by the way).

davej

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Chinasea wrote: »
    Killiney to Dun Laogharie is a mere 4 km. You could WALK, or gawd forbid CYCLE, run or use public transport

Just to remind you, we have the fastest growing population in Europe and everyone and their multiple off springs wants to drive. Something has to give.

I am tired of listening to people complaining about parking charges in Dun Laoghaire.

That's all very fine if you're fit and able and have to time to do that trip regularly. Also, 4km in rain can't be too pleasant can it? Also, what about if you have children??? Did you think about that or are you just 'survival of the fittest'?

BTW, I frequently drive around with people who happen to have mobility issues - what about them - do you expect them to walk of cycle 4km???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

davej wrote: »
    All you seem to want to do is go to a mid sized supervalu type supermarket (Killiney Sc, Rushes) or a soulless retail park off the M50?. <snip>

Did you read the bloody post mate??? :mad:

Does it look as if Glenalla has no interest in going to Dun Laoghaire???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Depending on where in killiney you live it might be cheaper to pay the parking in Dun laoighre than pay for petrol to go to stillorgan or carrickmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Middle Man wrote: »
    That's all very fine if you're fit and able and have to time to do that trip regularly. Also, 4km in rain can't be too pleasant can it? Also, what about if you have children??? Did you think about that or are you just 'survival of the fittest'?

BTW, I frequently drive around with people who happen to have mobility issues - what about them - do you expect them to walk of cycle 4km???

There is the DART and the 59 bus also.

Hi Chinasea

I totally agree with you regarding walking, I love it and spend most weekends hill walking in the Wicklow mountains or the Mournes regularly covering between 8 - 15 K in a day. I walk Killiney beach most evenings with my dog. I often have deliveries of 30kg or more to do in shops in Dunlaoghaire for which the loading bays are great. I try to tie in deliveries with my shopping for business and the house and often have lots to carry home and this is where it would have been great to have better parking in Dunlaoghaire. I was unaware of the free parking in return for €30 spend in Tescos as I dont shop there and would prefer the time to spend visiting local outlets on and off the main street with the convenience of dropping things back at the car whilst shopping.
    I do try and shop at Cosgroves butchers in Bally Brack and Fenlons butcher in Stillorgan as I am not a fan of large supermarkets, however they are convenient sometimes if time is at a premium, ie: working against a parking meter.
    Unfortunately with having to cart large shopping bags home the bus or dart sometimes are not convenient either. I do use the dart when possible if taking my kids for a walk on Dunlaoghaire pier which they love or if I am going out for the evening to Dalkey, Dunlaoghaire or Monkstown.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In fairness, most of Killiney is on a hill and is low-density (shout out to DLR's 0/0 zoning :\). It's not going to be able to sustain a large supermarket on its own. Travel to other centres will become a necessity. Regarding DL needing "local shoppers" -- I completely agree, but I would not classify Killiney as local.

Middle Man wrote: »

Most people are able. Most children are fit and able.

Re rain: Fact: The actual probability of cyclists who commute on
    a daily basis getting wet is very low and that the perceptions of both car commuters and cyclists alike regarding the probability of getting wet is unduly pessimistic

http://dublinbikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WeatherandCyclinginDublin.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are Killiney and Ballybrack Shopping Centres which are much closer to Killiney with free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lxflyer wrote: »
    There is the DART and the 59 bus also.

Its cheaper to park. Especially if there's kids with you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Re rain: Fact: The actual probability of cyclists who commute on
    a daily basis getting wet is very low and that the perceptions of both car commuters and cyclists alike regarding the probability of getting wet is unduly pessimistic

http://dublinbikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WeatherandCyclinginDublin.pdf

I cycle to from Dun Laoghaire to the City Centre everyday for work and I get soaked on a fairly regular basis in the winter time and road conditions are often terrible with lose gravel, pot holes etc on the roads. It doesn't stop me from cycling but I can definitely understand why others wouldn't like doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I cycle to from Dun Laoghaire to the City Centre everyday for work and I get soaked on a fairly regular basis in the winter time and road conditions are often terrible with lose gravel, pot holes etc on the roads. It doesn't stop me from cycling but I can definitely understand why others wouldn't like doing it.

I do a similar route but I would say I rarely get soaked and apart from a couple of sections I find the roads to be generally good. I will admit they are worse in the winter.

In our current climate you are as likely to get wet in summer as in winter but I have gone weeks in all seasons without ever taking my rain jacket out.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I cycle to from Dun Laoghaire to the City Centre everyday for work and I get soaked on a fairly regular basis in the winter time it.

I don't though. I actually kept a record over the last few years and for 2014: there were 2 days early on in the summer this year I didn't cycle because of the rain and a mere 2 in January and that was it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't though. I actually kept a record over the last few years and for 2014: there were 2 days early on in the summer this year I didn't cycle because of the rain and a mere 2 in January and that was it!

My experiences would have been roughly the same, maybe a bit higher but not by much.

Ironically the anti parking charges lobby group keep putting signs up in a shop on George's Street giving out about parking charges etc. Shame they don't get a bucket of water and a sweeping brush and clean up the shop front, it is total squalor, enough to put anyone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Strange that we had the wettest winter in recorded history, with an average of 50-80 wet days around the country.

Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0303/507963-weather/

Tragedy wrote: »
    Strange that we had the wettest winter in recorded history, with an average of 50-80 wet days around the country.

Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0303/507963-weather/

Not sure what your point is tbh. But I didn't read that it rained constantly for day and night...

ps: Global warming is just a myth!

pps: Elvis is alive and living in Carlow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Not sure what your point is tbh. But I didn't read that it rained constantly for day and night...

ps: Global warming is just a myth!

pps: Elvis is alive and living in Carlow!

Pretty obvious what the point is and it has been pretty obvious what you have been implying so far. 'i have a subjective experience that I'm going to use to support the argument that weather isn't a significant factor in cycling in south dublin'

Sorry reality is inconvenient to you,

Regards

Tragedy wrote: »
    Pretty obvious what the point is and it has been pretty obvious what you have been implying so far. 'i have a subjective experience that I'm going to use to support the argument that weather isn't a significant factor in cycling in south dublin'

Sorry reality is inconvenient to you,

Regards

Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'm not sure what people are expecting with regard to parking rules in DL? On street parking is full on weekends anyway, making it cheaper wouldn't help. Private parking (Bloomfields etc) could be cheaper and there's normally plenty of space but I don't think the council can do anything about private pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

To me it seems as though people perceive there are two problems: 1) Dun Laoghaire's retail prowess is in decline, and 2) longterm parking is more expensive than in Dundrum/Carrickmines/etc. These two issues exist, and they're pretty factually correct. But then some people conflate the two problems, by saying that one is leading to the other. That more expensive parking is leading to retail decline. And then some think that the two birds can be killed with the one stone of cheaper parking.

If people want cheaper parking for the single reason of personal convenience then why not just come out and say it? Trying to justify one's personal desire by linking it to potentially turning around the economy of a town is a little grandiose imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its how the parking makes you feel...

If you park in Dundrum Centre with the intention to stay around 3 hours and end up staying 4 hours, it costs you an extra quid or two.

If you overstay by an hour on the street in Dun Laoghaire, it costs you an extra 40....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think its how the parking makes you feel...

If you park in Dundrum Centre with the intention to stay around 3 hours and end up staying 4 hours, it costs you an extra quid or two.

If you overstay by an hour on the street in Dun Laoghaire, it costs you an extra 40....

I think the park by text thing is perfect for situations like this.
    Running late - just send a text & parking is paid.
    No running up to the other end of the town.

The parking thing has never stopped me going to DL when I need something.

Advertisement