Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Rezident wrote: »
    Anywhere in DL have a screen for watching the football outdoors?

O'Loughlin's have a great setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Rezident wrote: »
    Anywhere in DL have a screen for watching the football outdoors?

Just went past the Step Inn, looked to me to be a great outdoor setup. A huge screen. I was nearly tempted in for a pint and watch the Grand Prix.

I'm sure that there are a few on this thread that would clutch at their pearls and tut tut, at the very idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why? Its outdoors, weather is beautiful, vaccinations are rocketing, the beer is fresh, have at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Union Cafe/ Keilys in Mt Merrion

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Why? Its outdoors, weather is beautiful, vaccinations are rocketing, the beer is fresh, have at it!

I know, exactly my sentiments as well, but not everybody's I'm afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone remember the name of the caravan site that was between Ballybrack and Shankill back in the 80s?
    Was it where Castle Court is now? At the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

josip wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of the caravan site that was between Ballybrack and Shankill back in the 80s?

There is a halting site there currently, just beyond on the shankill side of the roundabout at cromlech fields

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

josip wrote: »

No, I know that their was one where Olcovar is in Shsnkill ad recent as mid 90s.

The castle court one would be interesting as Bayview and Seafield were built around 84.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Caravan site = Sherrington? We hired one from there for a family holiday in 1960's

The old Shankill Caravan Park and Camp site was down at Woodbrook on the old Bray Road. It was where the Woodbrook Downs estate now stands, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Not the same i'm afraid.

Was in Bits n Pizzas there for the first time last Friday. Rooftop terrace is a great addition, just a pity you can't actually see anything except the sky with high walls all round. Pizza was pretty average I would say but the kids enjoyed it.

The old Shankill Caravan Park and Camp site was down at Woodbrook on the old Bray Road. It was where the Woodbrook Downs estate now stands, IIRC.

Nope, it’s where Olcovar is. I used to go regular deliveries there.

https://www.geograph.ie/photo/446109

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/53530

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

local resident David McWilliams makes his case for DL to be the winner of the best place in Ireland to live in 2021 (Irish Times)

Screenshot-2021-06-12-185900.png

‘Dun Laoghaire main street is the only place I’ve been quizzed on the intricacies of macroeconomics and started on in the same conversation. Love it.’ Is he trying to show how cool he is, or something? Phibsborough, Rathmines and Bray have that energising mix of classes that he says is essential. Dun Laoghaire is just rough.

As for his claim that Dun Laoghaire is unrecognisable from a few years ago down by the sea, it’s quite obviously nonsense. The only major improvement was covering the railway line in front of the pavilion. That was a decade ago. Since then, the bottom of People’s Park has been renovated and a car lane has been converted to a cycle lane, without any improvement to the pedestrian realm. Hardly transformational. Having bemoaned the state of Dun Laoghaire during the recession, perhaps he needs to believe in a great improvement in order to justify his positivity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

‘Dun Laoghaire main street is the only place I’ve been quizzed on the intricacies of macroeconomics and started on in the same conversation. Love it.’ Is he trying to show how cool he is, or something? Phibsborough, Rathmines and Bray have that energising mix of classes that he says is essential. Dun Laoghaire is just rough.

As for his claim that Dun Laoghaire is unrecognisable from a few years ago down by the sea, it’s quite obviously nonsense. The only major improvement was covering the railway line in front of the pavilion. That was a decade ago. Since then, the bottom of People’s Park has been renovated and a car lane has been converted to a cycle lane, without any improvement to the pedestrian realm. Hardly transformational. Having bemoaned the state of Dun Laoghaire during the recession, perhaps he needs to believe in a great improvement in order to justify his positivity now.

He lives there now maybe he finds it more charming as a resident rather than a visitor.

As for his claim that Dun Laoghaire is unrecognisable from a few years ago down by the sea, it’s quite obviously nonsense. The only major improvement was covering the railway line in front of the pavilion. That was a decade ago. Since then, the bottom of People’s Park has been renovated and a car lane has been converted to a cycle lane, without any improvement to the pedestrian realm. Hardly transformational.

To be fair you're taking churlish to a new level.

The entire People's Park was restored to its Victorian layout and the pavilion therein returned to use as a busy restaurant, not to mention the massively successful weekend markets. The bottom end of the Park has been extended out over the railway line, while opposite, the baths are completing renovation. Down at the far end of Scotsmans Bay a new mini Park at Otranto Place overlooking Sandycove is mobbed all the time.

The Pavilion deck you mention also has the new Lexicon Park and facilities alongside and tying it all together is a 3.5 km segregated cycle route.

Now as it happens, I don't agree with McWilliams that Dun Laoghaire is the best place to live in Ireland, for many reasons, but that's not reason enough to dismiss what's been done and what's still to come over the next while. The tens of thousands of leisure visitors every weekend are testament to that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

To be fair you're taking churlish to a new level.

The entire People's Park was restored to its Victorian layout and the pavilion therein returned to use as a busy restaurant, not to mention the massively successful weekend markets. The bottom end of the Park has been extended out over the railway line, while opposite, the baths are completing renovation. Down at the far end of Scotsmans Bay a new mini Park at Otranto Place overlooking Sandycove is mobbed all the time.

The Pavilion deck you mention also has the new Lexicon Park and facilities alongside and tying it all together is a 3.5 km segregated cycle route.

Now as it happens, I don't agree with McWilliams that Dun Laoghaire is the best place to live in Ireland, for many reasons, but that's not reason enough to dismiss what's been done and what's still to come over the next while. The tens of thousands of leisure visitors every weekend are testament to that much.

This fellow really is foul. With some users, it can be assumed they're having a bad day. But he demonstrates repeatedly that his family are to be pitied.

The final paragraph indicates what misunderstanding so riled him. He thinks I was criticising Dun Laoghaire's amenities. I was not and have defended the town on here before. I was taking issue with David McWilliams' characteristic exaggeration in saying, 'Down by the sea, the place is unrecognisable from a few years ago'. And so his post lists all the things he likes about Dun Laoghaire, almost none of which are relevant to my point.

McWilliams cannot have had People's Park in mind when he made his claim. But if he did, 'restoration' massively overstates the changes that have left the character of the park unchanged. I, myself, mentioned the renovation of the area at the bottom of the park, and the market that he mentioned has been going almost twenty years.

A 'minipark opposite Sandycove', as the description suggests, is in Sandycove, not Dun Laoghaire. But, regardless, is that really one of the changes he thinks make the area unrecognisable from a few years ago?!

The library has been a fantastic addition, but 'Lexicon Park' (Council-speak for Moran Park) has merely improved something that was already there.

Nothing he said comes close to substantiating McWilliams' claim. I hope he knows when to shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think he's referring to when the old pavilion theatre and surrounding park were there in the late 90s, I remember running in there chasing a shoplifter and it was like a scene you'd expect from under the overpasses in LA

This fellow really is foul. With some users, it can be assumed they're having a bad day. But he demonstrates repeatedly that his family are to be pitied.

The final paragraph indicates what misunderstanding so riled him. He thinks I was criticising Dun Laoghaire's amenities. I was not and have defended the town on here before. I was taking issue with David McWilliams' characteristic exaggeration in saying, 'Down by the sea, the place is unrecognisable from a few years ago'. And so his post lists all the things he likes about Dun Laoghaire, almost none of which are relevant to my point.

McWilliams cannot have had People's Park in mind when he made his claim. But if he did, 'restoration' massively overstates the changes that have left the character of the park unchanged. I, myself, mentioned the renovation of the area at the bottom of the park, and the market that he mentioned has been going almost twenty years.

A 'minipark opposite Sandycove', as the description suggests, is in Sandycove, not Dun Laoghaire. But, regardless, is that really one of the changes he thinks make the area unrecognisable from a few years ago?!

The library has been a fantastic addition, but 'Lexicon Park' (Council-speak for Moran Park) has merely improved something that was already there.

Nothing he said comes close to substantiating McWilliams' claim. I hope he knows when to shut up.

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Sorry, but think you're completely in the wrong here and Larbre is correct. Think there's an uncalled for slur in your post.

People's park was completely renovated - tearooms, fountains, toilets, resurfacing of footpaths. The new library and surrounding landscaped area are a big change from what was there previously. I'd also add in Oliveto's move from the Pavilion to the Haddington Hotel as enlivening a further stretch on the metals.

I see McWilliams there on twitter earlier suggesting the bus terminus on Crofton Road at the Dart station be moved to the back of the station in the Harbour in order to put tables and chairs where it now exists. (don't know where to begin with the reasons that is both grossly unsafe and impractical)

Now I accept the thrust of his bona fides to improve Dun Laoghaire in general, but this stuff is just thoughtless. Between him and the County Council there seems to be a determination to move vital public transport and modal connectivity further and further away and make it less and less convenient for those who rely on it and have a right to have it serve the busy areas of the town.

No danger of McWilliams and some others ever picking up a nomination paper and looking for support to run for Council and try and do some of the legwork, I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I(don't know where to begin with the reasons that is both grossly unsafe and impractical)

why not do that? there's loads of space at the back of the station for a bus interchange. you could effectively extend the plaza at Meadows and Byrne over in front of the station.

loyatemu wrote: »
    why not do that? there's loads of space at the back of the station for a bus interchange. you could effectively extend the plaza at Meadows and Byrne over in front of the station.

What, right through the traffic junction? How would the buses get out of the harbour in that case? Or any other traffic, like deliveries to all the businesses up the town?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets keep it civil or more bans will be dished out

loyatemu wrote: »
    What, right through the traffic junction? How would the buses get out of the harbour in that case? Or any other traffic, like deliveries to all the businesses up the town?

Actually, a bus interchange and plaza extension might be a good idea and tie in with the proposed pedestrianisation of Georges St Lr.

Access for emergency vehicles, delivery and residents could be easily maintained on Marine Rd and / or have it as a cul de sac for traffic close to the bottom. Buses could come down York Rd. along Crofton Rd. and back along Harbour Rd.

Might work?

No doubt Mr. Burns in the anti-public transport office of the Council will have a view on that.

He has announced the complete pedestrianisation of Lower George's Street for 3 months will proceed on July 5th.

He says the Council received 1,103 submissions with 70% approval.

No harm in trying these things. If they don’t work, they don’t work and if they do, they do.

And we should be playing Russian roulette with local businesses just trying to come back from the precipice because?

It's fine for those whose businesses face directly onto that street and who are involved in hospitality, but what about the side streets on the town who will lose passing and occasional trade? What about the fact that will make two main through routes obstructed and traffic funnelled onto routes less able to take it only to create more congestion and more pollution.

Already hearing serious misgivings from people who are going to lose the buses from the locations they are needed most for older and less mobile people, Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre, Bloomfields Centre, St Michael's Hospital, St Michael's Church.

We've had this conversation before, re. the closing of Georges st., but don't you think that "Russian Roulette" is a bit OTT, a bit hyperbolic?

I suggested that buses would run along Crofton Rd to bring the aged and infirm closer to St Michael's Hospital and Bloomfields etc. These people probably need to walk to the bus in the first place, as it is very unlikely that they have a stop outside their front door, but if needed (which I doubt) a bus could be run around Kelly's ave, Gorges place and Crofton Ave.

I'm sure that the solutions to such minor problems as they arise, are not beyond the wit of our highly paid LA officials.

BTW: I think that running the pilot closure of Georges st. to the beginning of October is a bit late. Mid May to Mid Sept would have been much more appropriate.

No doubt Mr. Burns in the anti-public transport office of the Council will have a view on that.

He has announced the complete pedestrianisation of Lower George's Street for 3 months will proceed on July 5th.

He says the Council received 1,103 submissions with 70% approval.

That’s a strong mandate. Looking forward to see how it works.
    I imagine all the businesses will benefit greatly. No pollution or dangers in the street really encourages and entices people to visit.

I believe people will adopt and find routes to Bloomfields, hospital and shopping centres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats great news. It should make Georges Street a lot more pleasant to actually spend on time on.

Advertisement