Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

frash wrote: »
    I think the park by text thing is perfect for situations like this.
    Running late - just send a text & parking is paid.
    No running up to the other end of the town.

The parking thing has never stopped me going to DL when I need something.

No me neither and I would use park by text etc. But the fact is you cant pay for longer than the 3 hour limit on most of the streets near the town centre and for an area with a relatively aged population, park by text or app are alien concepts for lots of folk to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yeah, just wanted to say park by text too...

One can also park in any of the private parking places, you pay when you're back then. Now how much are they in comparison to Dundrum, I can't recall? Are they significantly more expensive?

I never felt parking is a problem either but it might be just a combination of shops/services I visit and their locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think its how the parking makes you feel...

If you park in Dundrum Centre with the intention to stay around 3 hours and end up staying 4 hours, it costs you an extra quid or two.

If you overstay by an hour on the street in Dun Laoghaire, it costs you an extra 40....

that's a ridiculous analogy, as it could easily be reversed by comparing on-street parking in Dundrum with parking in the Bloomfields/old SC car parks.

that's a ridiculous analogy, as it could easily be reversed by comparing on-street parking in Dundrum with parking in the Bloomfields/old SC car parks.

It isn't ridiculous at all, in fact its the direct comparison being made for the last 8 years by the various business rep groups as to why Dun Laoghaire is dying as regards retail. The reason is the majority of the most economical available parking in Dundrum is in the Centre and the majority in Dun Laoghaire is on street. The private car parks in Dun Laoghaire dont offer the same kind of value as Dundrum Centre, in reality they are prohibitively expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought this may be of interest. This is my old town in England. It is similar in size to Dun Laoghaire and faces many similar issues.

www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/prom.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sounds like DL too, the revamp plan was to cost £150m in 2012 and in 2014, it'll set them back £250m...

Ah no, no more revamps please. One of the more recent ones got us those damn cobblestones. We'll have revamps on our revamps if we don't stop throwing capital at Dun Laoghaire. Capital is not the problem.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Sounds like DL too, the revamp plan was to cost £150m in 2012 and in 2014, it'll set them back £250m...

It's a partnership thing, so the council isn't forking out £250m. The plans have increased enormously as well.

It would be nice to see DLRCOCO come up with a similar vision, if Maidenhead can, there's no reason why DL can't. They really are very similar towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I'll be honest with you Fred, with your username I presumed you were from Portsmouth

I'll be honest with you Fred, with your username I presumed you were from Portsmouth

I am originally (well, Portchester to be precise). Moved away from there when I was a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I really can't be arsed to read it at the moment, but there's a new development plan in the offing for DL, all sorts of input being sought currently.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,10420,en.html

and yet another plan

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,11055,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I really can't be arsed to read it at the moment, but there's a new development plan in the offing for DL, all sorts of input being sought currently.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,10420,en.html

and yet another plan

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,11055,en.html

This all reminds me of a scene in the Mark's Brothers "Day at the Races".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

last night there were trucks with huge cylindrical shipping containers at the port, Ive never seen any that big before, there was alot of security too. anyone know what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A new develiopment plan for Dun Laoghaire?
    They must have found the last few junctions in the borough that don't have one of the following:
    1. Traffic lights
    2. Ramps
    3. "Traffic calming measures"

and have decided to "fix" them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

last night there were trucks with huge cylindrical shipping containers at the port, Ive never seen any that big before, there was alot of security too. anyone know what it was?

They were en-route to Guinness in Dublin.

Heroditas wrote: »
    A new develiopment plan for Dun Laoghaire?
    They must have found the last few junctions in the borough that don't have one of the following:
    1. Traffic lights
    2. Ramps
    3. "Traffic calming measures"

and have decided to "fix" them.

County Development Plan. Its sets the planning (including zoning) and policy framework for the County for the 6 years from 2016. In my business its the most important thing to see coming in any county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^ And also the CDP covers the entire DLR county, not just DL itself. If you have an opinion about traffic signals or ramps, why not make a submission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dublin City Council after agreeing a 5% cut in business rates today, wonder will that put pressure on DLR to follow suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Dublin City Council after agreeing a 5% cut in business rates today, wonder will that put pressure on DLR to follow suit?

DLRCC adopted the 2015 budget a week ago, with a 2.5% rate cut.

So, this

urban-beach-7-580x482.jpg
    http://www.fkp.ie/?portfolio=urban-beach-and-floating-pool

Has been granted planning permission by DLRCoCo. Let the NIMBY flaming begin...

• Advertisement

Has been granted planning permission by DLRCoCo. Let the NIMBY flaming begin...

Why there and not in the Baths is the bit I can't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It's not in (or near) anyones back yard, so I reckon NIMBY won't apply.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mhge wrote: »
    Why there and not in the Baths is the bit I can't understand?

The harbour company don't iwn the baths. They are owned by the council. There's seperate plans for the baths. All plans for the baths to date have being blocked

With the loss of the ferries to the harbour, they need to rejuvenate and add more life and revenue

ted1 wrote: »
    The harbour company don't iwn the baths. They are owned by the council. There's seperate plans for the baths. All plans for the baths to date have being blocked

With the loss of the ferries to the harbour, they need to rejuvenate and add more life and revenue

Cheers! Who's blocking the plans for the baths and why?

mhge wrote: »
    Cheers! Who's blocking the plans for the baths and why?

Left wing loonies( the Richard Boyd Barrett gang ) and NIMBYS they have to much time on their hands....

Plans for the Baths have also been objected to by ABP. It seems to have stalled at this stage:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Foreshore/ApplicationsandDeterminations/WorksatDunLaoghaireBaths/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    Left wing loonies( the Richard Boyd Barrett gang ) and NIMBYS they have to much time on their hands....

+1 any sniff of a project that involves private money in partnership with the local authority and RBB and his disciples scream blue murder. Their ideology holds that it's better that a local resource rot and lie idle for all eternity than that greedy capitalists get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 any sniff of a project that involves private money in partnership with the local authority and RBB and his disciples scream blue murder. Their ideology holds that it's better that a local resource rot and lie idle for all eternity than that greedy capitalists get involved.

How did Boyd Barrett vote regarding the new library?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I believe PBP were the only ones to vote against the library. I must say, while I can't stand their economic policies, they have my respect for both that vote and their stance on the baths - if not for the likes of them there'd be an awful apartment block on the site of the baths now. Regarding the DL harbour proposal, I think it'll be completely out of place. Pier is lovely to walk now, think it would be overdeveloped if this goes ahead.

• Advertisement

qb123 wrote: »
    I believe PBP were the only ones to vote against the library. I must say, while I can't stand their economic policies, they have my respect for both that vote and their stance on the baths - if not for the likes of them there'd be an awful apartment block on the site of the baths now. Regarding the DL harbour proposal, I think it'll be completely out of place. Pier is lovely to walk now, think it would be overdeveloped if this goes ahead.
    You are had no the baths are better know than if they had of being developed? The harbour was built for use, footpaths are for walking and theirs plenty of them already

How would a temporary pool be called over develop?

Advertisement