Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

It seems that debate on pedestrian v's vehicle traffic light priority is now ongoing in the Irish Times:

Letter from this mornings edition. The views expressed, particularly in the final paragraph would seem to reflect current progressive thinking:

Slow sequence on traffic lights

Sir, – That anyone would wish for a return to the pre-pandemic levels of traffic congestion and pollution is surprising, but Robert Towers would like the phasing of pedestrian traffic lights returned to “normal” (Letters, September 3rd).

He infers that “crowds gathering” at pedestrian crossings should be normal, often waiting for minutes between green phases while crammed on to narrow footpaths.

The number of people who can walk across a road in, say, 10 seconds is far greater than the number of people in cars who can move through a green light for the 30 or 40 seconds allocated. Does he really expect the majority of people to have less priority than the minority?

The most efficient modes of travel need to be supported, not discouraged by long waits at traffic signals. It is the people in vehicles who are causing the congestion and delays he experiences, not the people who are walking. – Yours, etc,

PAUL WALDRON,

Ballinteer,

Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

No way to one way on display in Fintans Villas. Also no consideration to footpath users, in particular buggy and wheelchair users. I think this picture is a neat summation of the type of self-centered attitudes that drives a significant proportion of the anti-cycle path protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it must be some buggy or wheelchair that you are imagining that wont fit throught that gap !

It is illegal to park on a footpath. And trust me, it wouldn't be at all difficult to go out an provide countless local examples where the path is blocked entirely if I was bothered to take the effort. I have had plenty of experience of negotiating a buggy around cars in the not too distant past. The point of the photo above is the juxtaposition of illegal parking on the one hand which hinders the mobility of some of our most vulnerable residents whilst displaying a poster which protests a scheme that intends to actively promote the permeability of mobility options that are more sustainable. No doubt, the driver couldn't care less, and takes their dodgy parking with them everywhere they go.

• Advertisement

its also illegal to cycle down pedestrianised streets but the cyclists here appear not to have an issue with that. Anway im sure any of us with kids have experience of negotiating a buggy around cars but it would have served your argument better if the image didnt show a gap large enough to fit a mini digger through 😀

Long waits at traffic lights wont get people out of their cars and onto bikes, if it did we would all see many more cyclists and its obvious there hasnt been a big increase, the novelty of the Walton family cycling to school will wear off pretty quickly come end of September.

Why are we implementing major changes on Deansgrange Road to facilitate school access, I think even one of the school principals has opposed this.

Some of the traffic that cant go down Deansgrange Road will travel via Newtownpark Ave( two schools there and a new secondary school is planned at this location too)and onto Hollypark Avenue( three schools here) and exit at Kill Avenue.

If people go via the N11 then there will be major congestion on Newtownpark Avenue, it is already very busy and unpleasant.

I will be logging into the meeting on the 13th and taking note of local councillors input.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I was down on lower George's St on Saturday afternoon and it was really busy with a great atmosphere. Best I've seen since the pedestrianisation. Seems like people are engaging more with the idea or maybe it's that everyone's back from their holidays after the summer.

Also for what it's worth I counted six cyclists walking their bikes down the street and one (elderly) cyclist who cycled slowly down it though I appreciate this is anecdotal!

Would you not consider a rebuttal letter to the Irish Times, outlining your views above? I'm pretty sure that said councillors would see and take note!

I'm sure your argument would be better suited if it didn't rely on whataboutery. I have walked my bicycle down George's Street on every occasion since pedestrianisation.

• Advertisement

i am not arguing anything, and there is no whataboutery, read the last few pages of the thread.

/awaits picture of elderly cyclist with his face covered with an I'm entitled pic.

But do you not think its ridiculous that you cant cycle down the main street of a town.

I mean what is the point of going for a cycle if you are forced to walk, why not just walk altogether or take a bus.

At least in Blackrock cyclists can still cycle through the village, hope it stays that way, I wouldnt be bothered cycling down if i had to walk my bike through coffee drinking pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I have noticed that the pedestrianisation has completely changed the atmosphere of the town for the last few weeks. People walking around the street and bringing in their bikes to the new much larger bike rack outside Bloomfields. I no longer have concerns locking my bike up while I pop into the shops - fewer bike thieves are going to try their luck with so many people around. As a cyclist, I do think we could have a lane in each direction up and down Georges Street, rather than having to completely dismount - this would only take up half the width of the existing road, even for 2 way traffic.

All the arguments that there needed to be more free parking to facilitate shoppers coming in by car has shown to be bunkum - I'm sure the retail outlets are feeling the benefits. I really hope the pedestrianisation remains.

It's hardly ridiculous at all that you either walk your bike for a couple of hundred metres or take one of the numerous routes nearby to by pass the street. Pedestrianism is rightfully at top of the hierarchy in a town centre like Dun Laoghaire.

whataboutery

/ˌwɒtəˈbaʊtəri/

nounBRITISH

1. the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.
    2. "all too often, well-intentioned debate descends into whataboutery"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Firstly, as primarily a pedestrian, people blocking footpaths/cycle lanes is something that really annoys me. However, in the example you provided the footpath wasn’t blocked. While it was illegal, it was not a very good example. It should still not be done

Secondly, this thread primarily seems to be motorist versus cyclist. So it is hardly surprising that a post flagging bad motorist behaviour will be rebutted with a dig against cyclists, especially as the previous pages have been about cyclists cycling in pedestrian areas. In fact, the post on bad parking could be viewed as whataboutery, given the discussion immediately preceding that post.

We will agree to differ, I think its ridiculous.

I dont want to wander around the town on my cycle out of it so I wont bother coming up from the seafront at all.

I will cycle on home and shop in Blackrock instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you tried negotiating a double-buggy around these streets? Or a power-wheelchair, up to 850mm or 900mm wide?

Who do you think pays for the damage to footpaths resulting from this kind of parking?

Focus on the post at hand andrew, a double buggy or a 900mm power wheelchair will make it through that gap with ease, thats all i said.

• Advertisement

The issue i introduced was self absorbed parking on footpaths and how it aligns with said motorists protest against other sustainable transport initiatives. You responded with lame attempts at deflection. Clear to see your own conveniences are your sole priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you can’t justify parking on a path.

While a buggy may fit, the child or dog walking beside it won’t. Or the shopping bags hanging off the side of the buggy won’t fit , in fact they’ll more than likely scrap the car

And you're absolutely sure of that? From a photograph? Wonderful, given the peculiarities of the camera lens!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Footpaths have a standard of 6 ft wide which was arrived at years back, by the scenario of two mothers pushing a pram walking in opposite directions to be able to comfortably pass.

My own conveniences? what drivel is this?

I called our your hyperbole and you didnt like it.

I didn't justify it, the poster made comments about buggies and wheelchairs i merely stated they would easily pass that gap, cue numerous panties bunched,

There must be something about wearing lycra that gets people so worked up.

What hyperbole? It is both illegal and inconsiderate to park on a footpath. Not that you care who is inconvenienced obviously. A self centred motorist in a nutshell.

on both sides of this 'debate' people are mad to bring wheelchair users into it, as i said one would have passed there with ease.

As to whether i am self centered or not, you have no idea, so keep the personal attacks to yourself.

• Advertisement

Whether a wheelchair can pass in this instance is neither here nor there. I didn't actuallymeasure the gap left. This type of parking is rampant and tolerated. And eventually somebody somewhere is unduly put out. The effort it would take to park in an appropriate location isn't much to ask and therefore the act is by definition self centred. Since you seem to have no concern with such selfish parking, I can only draw my own conclusions.

Advertisement