Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whelan fires back at Dunphy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I didn't notice those Dunphy quotes before (can't do this, can't do that, terrible player etc).

Did he say them on TV or radio?

Either way, they are totally over the top and he should apologise.

Whelan has been a mainstay of a midfield which has gotten us to second place in two consecutive qualfiying groups when in previous years Irish midfields containing, Stephen Ireland, Andy Reid, and even Roy Keane could not (thats the WC 2006 qualifiers btw when Keane came out of retirement).

I have seen him play somewhat differently for Stoke and it seems reasonably clear to me that he, like many others, were asked to do something they weren't naturally inclined to for the sake of the system.

Obviously, he is no world beater but Dunphy was over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's appalling treatment of a player who has never given less than his best. Any shortcomings aren't for the lack of trying and Whelan would be in the stands with us if he wasn't on the pitch. He's nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be either.

Annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

This is Dunphy's latest quote "Martin O'Neill is the stand out candidate. He's not working at the minute. He's Irish. "He would be perfect."

Man is an idiot and Whelan is dead right to call him out. We might laugh at the antics of the panel but you have to be professional. You wouldn't see ITV or Sky Sports deride the very essence of a person simply because they played badly, for example Dunphy making a mockery of Whelan's livelihood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I was just thinking last night about Stephen Hunt calling him a "skinny little rat" after criticism of the last campaign, and was wondering if someone from this campaign would have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's a terrible footballer, maybe should be a squad player, but shouldn't get near the first team unless theres a dose of the plague going around.

• Advertisement

He's a terrible footballer, maybe should be a squad player, but shouldn't get near the first team unless theres a dose of the plague going around.

You are a terrible human being with terrbile intelligence.

No, too far? Don't bandy about extremes please.

He plays in the premier league ffs.

He played in a midfield that finished second in two consecutive qualifcation groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

noodler wrote: »
    I didn't notice those Dunphy quotes before (can't do this, can't do that, terrible player etc).

Did he say them on TV or radio?

He said it on tv after the Sweden game.Watch it here.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/eamon-dunphy-glenn-whelan-cant-tackle-1073785-Sep2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hes play something like 150 times in the premiere league how bad could he actually be

asses attempted
    1700 – Stephen Ward (Wolves)
    1531 – James McCarthy (Wigan)
    1226 – Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)
    1223 – Glenn Whelan (Stoke)
    1004 – John O’Shea (Sunderland)

Passes completed
    1314 – Stephen Ward (Wolves)
    1335 – James McCarthy (Wigan)
    1056 – Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)
    970 – Glenn Whelan (Stoke)
    729 – John O’Shea (Sunderland)

During the 2012 league but for ireland none of them includeing whelan can string 2 passes together think its the system and lack of belief thats the issue not the players its horrible to hear the players all toting out the line that "they just arent good enough" how much of a failure of a manager must you be if thats the sprite you instill in your players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The comments were definitely ott by Dunphy and was really part of Dunphy's overall criticism of Trapatoni. I think Whelan should have answered the criticism without essentially asking Dunphy to say it to his face etc. That's schoolboy stuff. Whelan is a professional footballer, he could have put Dunphy in his place without that.

On a side note, I note Bill O' Herlihy commenting that Trapatoni had pushed through the contract. I dont have any issue with the original contract to Trap but I wonder did Trapatoni's agent put a gun to the head of Delaney & co ahead of the Euros in order to get the extended contract before the Euros in the knowledge that the performance would most likely be poor and Trap's position less secure afterwards.

It seems like Trap & his agent played a blinder in getting that extended contract...perhaps better that the team played in recent years.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dunphy is in a waffler and I have been saying it for years

But are we at the stage now where we all have to have played in the PL for a long time, have 50 caps for Ireland, played in Europe and an FA Cup final before any of us are allowed to criticize any player?

Regarding the comment around driving 2 Ferrari's - the article could have given the actual context of the comment!

• Advertisement

You are a terrible human being with terrbile intelligence.

No, too far? Don't bandy about extremes please.

He plays in the premier league ffs.

He played in a midfield that finished second in two consecutive qualifcation groups.

Kleberson played in a world cup final winning midfield FFS. So starting doesn't guarantee a player is in any way decent. He's poison, can't pass, no pace, doesn't break up play effectively, doesn't drop off and get the ball from the defence and start up play like a Carrick.

What exactly does he do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's appalling treatment of a player who has never given less than his best. Any shortcomings aren't for the lack of trying and Whelan would be in the stands with us if he wasn't on the pitch. He's nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be either.

Annoying.

Not bothered about the Whelan v Dunphy thing tbh but the kind of comment above does my head in!

Anyone could pull on a green shirt and give their all, try their best. Christ even I could. Doesn't mean I'm good enough to play for the team. "He always gives 100%"....doesn't matter a shíte if a player has no quality to go with it.

kfallon wrote: »
    Not bothered about the Whelan v Dunphy thing tbh but the kind of comment above does my head in!

Anyone could pull on a green shirt and give their all, try their best. Christ even I could. Doesn't mean I'm good enough to play for the team. "He always gives 100%"....doesn't matter a shíte if a player has no quality to go with it.

100% agree with the above, next time you have an exam/driving test/ assessment in work and don't get the pass mark, tell whoever is giving the exam that you "gave it 100% and it wasn't through lack of trying" and see how it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Spot on. I couldn't give a toss if he would be in the stands with fans if he wasn't playing.

He played midfield in a side that secured 2nd place in two successive groups? He was a passenger who could be improved upon.

Whelan is a nothing player. Slow as a snail, no vision, his passing is poor, he is not mobile enough to go box to box. Which is of course is fine if he excells in other aspects of his game. Is he a ball winner? Absolutely not.

Can anyone actually discuss what Glenn Whelan does well? From a match goer who sees him at close quarters in the the context of a live game the guy just seems to be interested in being a body in the centre of the park who passes sideways when he gets on it.

The amount of times an opponent drops in between our midfield and defence and a pass is picked to such a player taking Whelan out of the game, is criminal.

As for RTE, Bill O'Herlihy is the real fool. You can see him licking his lips when the lads go at it, his line of questioning is pure crap. In a pathetic way he really thinks that its really cutting edge analysis.

The quality of Dunphy and Brady in particular as pundits is noticeably bad. I've never been a fan of Giles really but he talks the most sense, I wouldn't hold his lack of knowledge of particular names etc... as being a bad point.

But what I find most cringeworthy of all is the constant references that Liam and John were world class players. We are reminded by Dunphy about 5 or 6 times every time hes on.

You could see Bill smiling smugly as they talked the other night almost thinking "the audience are loving this". I'd say they will get some land when they see the quality of their analysis being criticised from all quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

But you'd have to ask why he's been in an EPL team(who spend big) for the last few years, he clearly has something, and don't say 'its stoke' they are an epl team, every player has to have considerable talent to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is sickening what the the national broadcaster can get away with. Dunphy even had a bit of a rant about players being abused and insulted by Trap the other night. Who the feck is he to be giving out about people being abused and insulted.

But of course for the LCD its "entertainment" :rolleyes:

I would like to see the national team refuse to talk to RTE until certain people are removed.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Annoying.

This

Whelan is no Zidane but he always put's in a shift gives 100% every time he puts on the green shirt. I normally enjoy Dunphy but I did think he was very over the top. I really think it is bad taste by him to abuse international players like that in general unless it is deserved for bad behavior etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

bizmark wrote: »
    Hes play something like 150 times in the premiere league how bad could he actually be

if fairness, I'd say he has been consistently one of the worst midfielders in the Premiership, and in fairness to Dunphy he is probably comparing him to Irelands great history of midfielders - Giles, Brady, Townsend , Keane etc
    and in comparison Whelan is very very poor (but not in cash ) .

100% agree with the above, next time you have an exam/driving test/ assessment in work and don't get the pass mark, tell whoever is giving the exam that you "gave it 100% and it wasn't through lack of trying" and see how it works out for you.

?

He played a massive part in getting us to two consecutive play offs and ultimately qualification?

If I were in his shoes I wouldn't be judging my Ireland career a failure when considerably better players couldn't achieve what I had in the last ten years.

He played midfield in a side that secured 2nd place in two successive groups? He was a passenger who could be improved upon..

I don't think we have many holding midfielders but I actually think Green has surpassed him in his recent Irish performances.
    Whelan is a nothing player..

What does that even mean? Exactly?

Can anyone actually discuss what Glenn Whelan does well? From a match goer who sees him at close quarters in the the context of a live game the guy just seems to be interested in being a body in the centre of the park who passes sideways when he gets on it.

I have seen him do all these things a million times over the past three seasons at Premier League level.

I do find it funny that some players get excused for underperforming because of Trap, or not making themselves available udner Trap, whereas the ones who sacrifice any positive footballing intentions they have and actually play for Ireland get called "terrible" or "nothing" players.

Whelan has been a mainstay of a midfield which has gotten us to second place in two consecutive qualfiying groups

Felix played in what is arguably the greatest National Team of all time in 1970. He was considered to be a very poor keeper but still is a World Cup winner!

Goes to show that every team has room for at least one passenger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

EdenHazard wrote: »
    But you'd have to ask why he's been in an EPL team(who spend big) for the last few years, he clearly has something, and don't say 'its stoke' they are an epl team, every player has to have considerable talent to make it.

you should start judging a player with your own 2 eyes rather than looking at his "stats".
    What you are basically doing is judging the player on prior reputation by mentioning his 150 appearances for Stoke.

Our central midfield has been p*ss poor for Trap's tenure and Whelan has been his general so to speak.

I have seen him do all these things a million times over the past three seasons at Premier League level.

slight exaggeration here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is where the line between enjoying the RTE analysis because it is honest and being duped by a spoofer gets blurred

Yea we all say RTE is much better than Sky\ITV\BBC cos they 'talk their mind' etc.
    But at the end of the day Dunphy is just a media whore who wants to be talked about and will say anything about anyone just to do that.
    Sure I enjoyed watching the RTE analysis over the last two games but it is OTT at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Dunphy is entitled to his opinion. Personally, I don't take the guy seriously on the telly because he is extreme just to get a reaction. He's pure box office, he's very entertaining but he talks bollox a lot of the time. I've met him once in person though and found him very intelligent, knowledgable and a pretty nice guy. Like a reasonable version of the nutter you see on the box.

I thought the sneering about Paul Green the other night, from Giles and Bill particularly, was really, really poor. The lad had a good game and he was dismissed as if he was something they had trod in. Regardless of whether you think he's good or not, they should have had a look at his performance and not been blinded by pre-conceived notions. It was really poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Does he really drive two Ferarris's?

W123-80's wrote: »

Not at the same time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As for RTE, Bill O'Herlihy is the real fool. You can see him licking his lips when the lads go at it, his line of questioning is pure crap. In a pathetic way he really thinks that its really cutting edge analysis.

Aah,this is a bit over the top.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

W123-80's wrote: »

Maybe he does, but after Dunphy's Del Bosque gaffe the other night I wouldn't be surprised if he drove a 15 year old Opel Corsa :pac:

He hasn't started the last 2 PL games and I think he'll suffer because of the departure of Pulis. Can't see Mark Hughes not prioritizing central midfield as the area where new players are most needed there - if they ever give him any decent money to spend.

• Advertisement

This is where the line between enjoying the RTE analysis because it is honest and being duped by a spoofer gets blurred

Yea we all say RTE is much better than Sky\ITV\BBC cos they 'talk their mind' etc.
    But at the end of the day Dunphy is just a media whore who wants to be talked about and will say anything about anyone just to do that.
    Sure I enjoyed watching the RTE analysis over the last two games but it is OTT at times.

Well I think they are Dunphy's actual instructions. That's what RTE wants him to do....be controversial

They're doing the same thing with Joe Brolly in their GAA analysis.

Felix played in what is arguably the greatest National Team of all time in 1970. He was considered to be a very poor keeper but still is a World Cup winner!

Goes to show that every team has room for at least one passenger!

Okay, to be quite clear now.

You are saying Whelan was a passenger for the previous two campaigns?

I am not saying he was as Dunne, Given or Keane, but a passenger?
    thebaz wrote: »
    slight exaggeration here :rolleyes:

Christ, of all the exaggerations going on in the thread "Terrible player", "nothing player" etc, you are doing well picking out that one.

?

He played a massive part in getting us to two consecutive play offs and ultimately qualification?

If I were in his shoes I wouldn't be judging my Ireland career a failure when considerably better players couldn't achieve what I had in the last ten years.

I don't think we have many holding midfielders but I actually think Green has surpassed him in his recent Irish performances.

What does that even mean? Exactly?

I do find it funny that some players get excused for underperforming because of Trap, or not making themselves available udner Trap, whereas the ones who sacrifice any positive footballing intentions they have and actually play for Ireland get called "terrible" or "nothing" players.

What part did he play, he was on the pitch but what did he contribute? What are his qualities?

Okay, to be quite clear now.

You are saying Whelan was a passenger for the previous two campaigns?

I am not saying he was as Dunne, Given or Keane, but a passenger?

Where did I say that??? I never mentioned Whelan once.

What I'm saying is that just because a player has played does not automatically mean he contributed as much as others. In fact they may have been poor but others compensated for them.

When Liverpool last won the league, David Burrows was in the team, he was very poor.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well I think they are Dunphy's actual instructions. That's what RTE wants him to do....be controversial

They're doing the same thing with Joe Brolly in their GAA analysis.

The same with George Hook on Rugby. Its ok if they were a private broadcaster but it is unacceptable from the national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The same with George Hook on Rugby. Its ok if they were a private broadcaster but it is unacceptable from the national broadcaster.

To be fair, it's great tv. Whether they talk more sense than the BBC is doubtful but they are far, far better to watch.

• Advertisement

Christ, of all the exaggerations going on in the thread "Terrible player", "nothing player" etc, you are doing well picking out that one.

well the Stoke midfield that you said he was so brilliant in, millions of times, over 3 years , was one of the worst midfields I can remember in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But it isn't his fault if he isn't good enough and gets selected. Just like it wasn't Staunton's fault he was given the Ireland job. Ridiculing people trying their best is totally out of order imo. When you have players who can't be bothered to turn up or who consistently perform for us to a lower level than they do their clubs significant questions can be asked.

What part did he play, he was on the pitch but what did he contribute? What are his qualities?

He played on a pitch with 10 other professionals in the vast majoirty (nearly all) qualifiers between 2008 and 2012.

He contributed goals, he helped the team stay solid, he helped the defence, he tracked back, he tackled.

Are these things not obvious? He was part of that team, he made a contribution. If you are trying to say that he sat there and watched the other 9 outfield players get reuslts against Italy, Russia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, France etc then you are just being childish.
    Where did I say that??? I never mentioned Whelan once.

What I'm saying is that just because a player has played does not automatically mean he contributed as much as others. In fact they may have been poor but others compensated for them.

When Liverpool last won the league, David Burrows was in the team, he was very poor.

Stop speaking in fcuking riddles.

So you aren't saying he was a passenger?

Are you saying he was constantly poor but that others compensated for him? Or am I putting words in your mouth again because you didn't specifically mention Whelan.

The detractors shouldn't try and make this into a black & white argument because it isn't. The system we played under Trap meant two holding midfielders had to sit deep and work their arses off non-stop to achieve results and protect the back four. Nobody is arguing this is evidence of world class but it got the job done and Whelan should rightly revel in that fact in the face of these stupid Dunphy comments.

well the Stoke midfield that you said he was so brilliant in, millions of times, over 3 years , was one of the worst midfields I can remember in the Premiership.

I said he was brilliant?

Are you lieing to make a point?

I said he was brilliant?

Are you lieing to make a point?

well what were saying you saw him do millions of times in the Premiership ?

get over it, he is and was at best a very average footballer . end of.

• Advertisement

well what were saying you saw him do millions of times in the Premiership ?

get over it, he is and was at best a very average footballer . end of.

Basic midfield duties? Um, yeah, I have seen him do these in the EPL many times. Not too sure where you got brilliant from - probably better for you just to admit you made that part up to make your point sound better.

Get over what exactly?

Average EPL midfielder is an appropriate label, terrible or nothing player is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

asses attempted
    1700 – Stephen Ward (Wolves)
    1531 – James McCarthy (Wigan)
    1226 – Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)
    1223 – Glenn Whelan (Stoke)
    1004 – John O’Shea (Sunderland)

Jaysus. There must be something in the water in the Irish training camp.

B
    Get over what exactly?

lets just differ - you like Stoke/Irish style midfield play and I prefer Barcelona/ Spanish style midfield play.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    To be fair, it's great tv. Whether they talk more sense than the BBC is doubtful but they are far, far better to watch.

I do not think it is great TV from a national broadcaster. I do not see people being abused as entertaining and it is very rarely constructive criticism.

What I do find even worse is that there is rarely any balance to the discussions. If one guy is criticising something then there should be an alternative argument. There was the other night with Brady there but their pundits are allowed to say what they want without any counteraction. Its like something from North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Whelan is by no means a great player but hes been a dedicated and committed player for Ireland for a few years now. Dunphy's comments were well over the top. Also, in his defence he's spent a lot of time in a flat midfield 4 trying to cope with midfield runners all over the place. Three in midfield is the way to go in football these days, and he'd certainly benefit from having McCarthy and Gibson in there with him.

Stop speaking in fcuking riddles.

So you aren't saying he was a passenger?

Are you saying he was constantly poor but that others compensated for him? Or am I putting words in your mouth again because you didn't specifically mention Whelan.

Who do you think you're swearing at?

And if you think he's so good, can we have the highlights of his performances that got us to the Euros please (and maybe his highlights during the Championships themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Having a thread about Dunphy is making him the story which is just what he wants.
    Don't feed the troll
    ...that's all he is.

lets just differ - you like Stoke/Irish style midfield play and I prefer Barcelona/ Spanish style midfield play.

Never said anything of the sort.

Nice extremes though.

Who do you think you're swearing at?

You.
    And if you think he's so good, can we have the highlights of his performances that got us to the Euros please (and maybe his highlights during the Championships themselves)

"If I think he's so good", so there is no middle ground here?

He was either a "Terrible, nothing player" or if you disagree you automatically think he was "so good".

You want the highlights then you should have watched all the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland," Dunphy said on RTE.

Whatever about commentating on his football abilities I don't see the point in discussing how the lad goes about spending his money.

You want the highlights then you should have watched all the qualifiers.

I did....there were no highlights, hence why you deflected the question!

• Advertisement
Advertisement