Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whelan fires back at Dunphy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Dunphy always seems to base a player's actual personality on their performances on the field. Whelan is a poor player but the way Dunphy talks about him is uncalled for, while he'll talk the likes of John Terry and Wayne Rooney up to be the greatest men that ever lived. As bad as he is though, it's still by far the most entertaining analysis due to the controversy. Of course RTE realise this, I'd always rather see Joe Brolly and Pat Spillane on the Sunday Game even though I'd disagree with most of what they have to say.

Since when did anyone take what Dunphy says seriously?

He's there for entertainment value only not punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I thought it was funny the last night,Paul Green got the sh1te cut out of him after the game by Giles and Dunphy and then he got presented with MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kfallon wrote: »
    I did....there were no highlights, hence why you deflected the question!

You want me to link you to video highlights of Glen Whelan's performances in the WC2010 and EURO 2012 qualifiers (of which Ireland lost just two if you include the 1st leg play-off with France) in an attempt to prove that he made a contribution?

What a reasonable request, yeah one moment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

rarnes1 wrote: »

Exactly. Brady called him on the Gibson stuff the other night and rightly so.

The best one, and it's on YouTube somewhere, is the Steven Gerrard one. After Liverpool scraped through against Barcelona in the CL a few years back Dunphy proclaimed that Gerrard was "found out. He's a nothing player."

After that, he was trying to hammer one of the England managers and said that he (the manager) "was no use because he has world class players like Gerrard at his disposal".

On tv Dunphy is just hilarious but not to be taken seriously. All the sh!t he spouts is worth it for stuff like the night he accused Brady of "jumping the fence baby", the Roy Keane rant ("he left his wife and ran off with a young wan Bill" about a journalist) and the Terry Venables rant.

My favourite one of him though when talking about Ferguson and Strachan was:

Dunphy: Scots are either great guys or horrible Bill. And these two are horrible.
    Bill: Ah Eamon you can't say that. That's racism.
    Dunphy: It's not racism Bill, it's ethnic criticism.

Legend but not for his insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

noodler wrote: »
    You want me to link you to video highlights of Glen Whelan's performances in the WC2010 and EURO 2012 qualifiers (of which Ireland lost just two if you include the 1st leg play-off with France) in an attempt to prove that he made a contribution?

What a reasonable request, yeah one moment there.

I never mentioned the WC2010, did I?

I don't want a video collection, I want you to tell me the games that he excelled in, should be easy to remember, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Dunphy's just a troll who can't use the internet. Put him on ignore years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

thebaz wrote: »
    lets just differ - you like Stoke/Irish style midfield play and I prefer Barcelona/ Spanish style midfield play.

Go on so I'll bite, name us your Irish midfield that can play this style.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Exactly but unfortunately the vast majority of viewers out there actually believe what they say as fact, its why we have a large porportion of Irish fans constantly criticising our greatest ever striker, although the panel has somewhat changed their stance on Robbie lately, and also why for about two years Andy Reid was considered the messiah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Dunphy was over the top in his description of him. Just sensationalism really. Usual fare from Eamon.

But Whelan is a very average player, and with Trap's departure, will probably never be in the Ireland starting 11 again. Maybe in the panel, but his automatic first team days are numbered.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    I never mentioned the WC2010, did I?

I don't want a video collection, I want you to tell me the games that he excelled in, should be easy to remember, no?

He did the job asked of him in the majority of games Ireland got a result in.

Ireland was regularly dominated in midfield during Traps's reign, Whelan and his CMF partner were generally forced to sit back in the face of superior numbers in midfield.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Dunphy was over the top in his description of him. Just sensationalism really. Usual fare from Eamon.

But Whelan is a very average player, and with Trap's departure, will probably never be in the Ireland starting 11 again. Maybe in the panel, but his automatic first team days are numbered.

No doubt about it.

He seems to be getting less mobile (if Firday is anything to go by) and he is having trouble getting into the Stoke team this season.

That being said, I don't know who will be in CMF with McCarthy in the next two years. Even in a 4-5-1 with Hollohan, another CMF will be needed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dunphys great craic, gets the rows going.... comes out with classic witticisms, but is a complete troll in every aspect.

That being said, Glenn Whelan is not good enough to play international football in light of the quality of players he was keeping from planing in that position. he was found out embarrassingly in the euros, especially along side andrews who actually came out of the euros with his reputation intact.

There is no player among the reid, holohan, pilkington, gibson, mccarty, brady, mcclean group that he can do anything better on the pitch. Id only put him ahead of paul green as a midfielder.

No doubt about it.

He seems to be getting less mobile (if Firday is anything to go by) and he is having trouble getting into the Stoke team this season.

That being said, I don't know who will be in CMF with McCarthy in the next two years. Even in a 4-5-1 with Hollohan, another CMF will be needed.

McCarthy, Gibson, Hendrick, Meyler, Hoolahan, Andrews, Wilson. Even Green has more about him. Any one those players should be in ahead of Whelan.

And these are the currently established players. That doesn't include any player who may pop up over the course of this season, prior to the Euros.

Just can't see Whelan donning a jersey with a single figure number on the back ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No doubt about it.

I would like to see this Jeff Hendrick lad get a chance in CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Go on so I'll bite, name us your Irish midfield that can play this style.

it is a barren time for Irish midfielders, but should we just celebrate averageness, cause thats all we have ?

I grew up with Irish teams , that always had midfielders that could play , thats why I find watching Whelan so frustrating , in comparison to past masters of the green jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Having a thread about Dunphy is making him the story which is just what he wants.
    Don't feed the troll
    ...that's all he is.

I wish that were all he was. Increasingly though I get the impression that Dunphy (when it comes to the Ireland team at least) has some sort of very definite personal agenda in everything he says and that it is all a very measured attack. Whether it be to praise/criticise a particular potential manager or to hound a player for five years because he ends up looking like a donkey for doing nothing more than playing exactly the role his manager asked of him. It's all a very deliberate and never-ending exercise by Dunphy to use whatever influence he may have to get out the people he wants out and to get in his favourites.

Whelan was unwise to speak out, but seeing he has I'm glad he at least said the following:
    "Since I first came into the squad, for whatever reason, Dunphy has picked on me. Maybe it goes back to the very first start when I first came into the squad and he had it in for me -- You had the whole Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid story and he wanted them in the squad.

I personally believe there's a lot of truth to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

it is a barren time for Irish midfielders, but should we just celebrate averageness, cause thats all we have ?

I grew up with Irish teams , that always had midfielders that could play , thats why I find watching Whelan so frustrating , in comparison to past masters of the green jersey.

Nobody anwhere has said we should celebrate it, thats quite a leap from making it personal and insulting the man entrusted with the job because he was the best avaialable, and he was. I'll take my own judgement and that of Trapatonni over a hack like Dunphy any day, Whelan earned every one of those caps because he was the best option available. What midfielders we had in days of yore is completely irrelevant.

Robbie Keane is the only player we have that would have made the teams you refer to, so are all the other players that received multiple caps under Trap fair game for personal insults??

McCarthy, Gibson, Hendrick, Meyler, Hoolahan, Andrews, Wilson. Even Green has more about him. Any one those players should be in ahead of Whelan.

And these are the currently established players. That doesn't include any player who may pop up over the course of this season, prior to the Euros.

Just can't see Whelan donning a jersey with a single figure number on the back ever again.

Gibson I grant you.

I don't think Andrews is an option at 33.

Hendrick seems to be a foil but I still think people are placing alot of faith in potential.

Perhaps Wilson, although its been years since he played CMF regularly.

Hoolahan can't play as one of the two in a 4-4-2.

Meyler, I honestly do not know enough about. He seems to have scored a few goals for Hull last year in the championship - is he an appropriate foil to a midfield three involving McCarthy and Wes? Regardless, I hope we see more of him.

Robbie Keane is the only player we have that would have made the teams you refer to, so are all the other players that received multiple caps under Trap fair game for personal insults??

Richard Dunne would walk into any Irish team of any era ;
    since Jack's era , Irish internationals get feted as superstars over here , regardless of ther merit - the amount of times I have seen Pat Kenny interviewing & fawning over current internationals who had neither the talent or commitment of so many that went before them , no wonder my attachment to the team has become so diluted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

100% agree with the above, next time you have an exam/driving test/ assessment in work and don't get the pass mark, tell whoever is giving the exam that you "gave it 100% and it wasn't through lack of trying" and see how it works out for you.
    This is completely different, Whelan has passed the Premier League exam and has bundles of experience which puts him on an elite level even before selection for the Irish team. It bears no comparison to what you are saying. He has been picked to start for his club by two different managers.

He is not a flashy player and has been picked to play in a position that is different to what he does at his club, he has kept his mouth shut and got on with the job despite much criticism from amateurs and stupid pundits. There is every chance that in the right system he could show the amateur pundit just how good he can be.

Fyi Eamon Dunphy was kicked out of the press conferences in Italia '90 by Jack Charlton who refused to speak to the media while he was there. Dunphy went way ott on Mick McCarthy back then, its nothing new for him.

• Advertisement

Richard Dunne would walk into any Irish team of any era ;
    since Jack's era , Irish internationals get feted as superstars over here , regardless of ther merit - the amount of times I have seen Pat Kenny interviewing & fawning over current internationals who had neither the talent or commitment of so many that went before them , no wonder my attachment to the team has become so diluted.
    GTFO, Paul McGrath, Mark Lawrenson, Kevin Moran, Kenny Cunningham would all be ahead of him imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    GTFO, Paul McGrath, Mark Lawrenson, Kevin Moran, Kenny Cunningham would all be ahead of him imo.

Kenny Cunningham , not a chance - the other yeah - mcgrath / moran was our greatest partnership

This is completely different, Whelan has passed the Premier League exam

the stoke midfield has been possibly the worst midfield ever in the Premiership.

the stoke midfield has been possibly the worst midfield ever in the Premiership.

When is the last time that midfield has been relegated?

Since Stoke came into the EPL in 2009, at least 12 teams have been relegated - none of them Stoke.

Kenny Cunningham , not a chance - the other yeah - mcgrath / moran was our greatest partnership

Were McGrath and Moran ever really a partnership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbh,

I don't think we can accurately assess the performance of any of the centre mids under Trap. Regardless of who they were, they spent their time being over run in a 3v2 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

lets just differ - you like Stoke/Irish style midfield play and I prefer Barcelona/ Spanish style midfield play.

Ah a Barcelona snob, exactly what this thread needed for a reasonable debate. Just because you watch La Liga on Sky Sports, you know everything about football and your opinions are superior. Congratulations.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Were McGrath and Moran ever really a partnership?

the best

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Ah a Barcelona snob, exactly what this thread needed for a reasonable debate. Just because you watch La Liga on Sky Sports, you know everything about football and your opinions are superior. Congratulations.

sorry to dissapoint but don't have sky sports , but you must be missing Pulis's Stoke in the premiership

sorry to dissapoint but don't have sky sports , but you must be missing Pulis's Stoke in the premiership

Nope I didn't enjoy watching Stoke and am glad to see the back of Pulis.

And apologies, you stream Barcelona matches obviously because you have such incredible knowledge of what football should be. Glenn Whelan is a knobhead for not being Xavi.

• Advertisement

Glenn Whelan is a knobhead for not being Xavi.

I never called him a knobhead , just don't think he is a good international midfielder , thats all - nothing more / don't know the chap.

Gibson I grant you.

I don't think Andrews is an option at 33.

Hendrick seems to be a foil but I still think people are placing alot of faith in potential.

Perhaps Wilson, although its been years since he played CMF regularly.

Hoolahan can't play as one of the two in a 4-4-2.

Meyler, I honestly do not know enough about. He seems to have scored a few goals for Hull last year in the championship - is he an appropriate foil to a midfield three involving McCarthy and Wes? Regardless, I hope we see more of him.

If O'Neill takes over, I do envision seeing a lot of one up top and 3 in midfield (especially away from home), although I'm sure 4-4-2 will also get a decent look in.

I never called him a knobhead , just don't think he is a good international midfielder , thats all - nothing more / don't know the chap.

And nobody brought up Barcelona or said Glenn Whelan was brilliant but it didn't stop you putting words in people's mouths so you could stick your nose up at them and Whelan.

And nobody brought up Barcelona or said Glenn Whelan was brilliant but it didn't stop you putting words in people's mouths so you could stick your nose up at them and Whelan.

whatever , you have your opinion , and i'll have mine - goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Regardless of what he said about Whelan, Dunphy initially claiming Del Bosque was on 50k and then 100k was laughably uninformed as a self proclaimed Spanish football expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was Dunphy factoring Whelan's club form into that diatribe? It's pretty fair to say that Whelan can't run and can't pass when playing for Ireland but maybe it's because he's told not to do these things in his role as a defensive holding midfielder. I would agree with Dunphy but only if can't means 'not given license to' as opposed to 'totally unable'.

The panel doesn't need rid of Dunphy but it does need someone who will consistently call him on some of his more outlandish statements. They need someone like Souness back. I enjoyed his interplay with Dunphy in 2010. That was a guy who was able to take the freedom RTE gave to speak his mind and make valid points while also being a good sober antidote to Dunphy and Giles (who I love, but they need to be kept on their toes big time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

daRobot wrote: »
    Regardless of what he said about Whelan, Dunphy initially claiming Del Bosque was on 50k and then 100k was laughably uninformed as a self proclaimed Spanish football expert.

To give him credit,he corrected himself a few minutes later and said he meant the Croatia manager,Slaven Bilic who is/was on 150k

To give him credit,he corrected himself a few minutes later and said he meant the Croatia manager,Slaven Bilic who is/was on 150k

Not sure he corrected himself as much as he was corrected by viewers and Bill and had to admit he was spoofing.

Souness back would be a great addition. Never rated him as a manager but he's a great pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I often get Bilic and Del Bosque mixed up too. I mean, they're practically identical, from the same part of the world, similar records etc. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tbh,

I don't think we can accurately assess the performance of any of the centre mids under Trap. Regardless of who they were, they spent their time being over run in a 3v2 situation.

That and the ball was hoofed over them too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Eamo won tbh.

He is in the papers, there is threads on here and other forums about him, and he is getting called out by a lad 40 years younger than him for a straightener or whatever.

Glenn has been gotten too and Dunphy is sitting in his house in Ranelagh laughing.

More copies of the auto-biography sold baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://www.eamondunphysoundboard.com/

This thread needs this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know why anyone would give Dunphy the response that he is looking for to be honest. He loves getting a response and being controversial.
    While entertaining, he is so because of this controversial nature. Whelan should have just left him at it or perhaps came back about a gibe about how much money he is on a week for being a "really bad" footballer, as opposed to how much money dunphy is on for being a "really bad" pundit.

Dunphy hasn't changed a bit over the years in his general outlook on the Ireland setup, even back in the late 80's early 90's he had very little positive to say! I was reminded of this from the clip they playes on second captains on Tuesday night of the infamous "pen throwing" incident.

Entertaining but irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Dunphys great craic, gets the rows going.... comes out with classic witticisms, but is a complete troll in every aspect.

That being said, Glenn Whelan is not good enough to play international football in light of the quality of players he was keeping from planing in that position. he was found out embarrassingly in the euros, especially along side andrews who actually came out of the euros with his reputation intact.

There is no player among the reid, holohan, pilkington, gibson, mccarty, brady, mcclean group that he can do anything better on the pitch. Id only put him ahead of paul green as a midfielder.

If he isn't good enough, why is he being criticized? Shouldn't the person picking him be blamed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This is completely different, Whelan has passed the Premier League exam and has bundles of experience which puts him on an elite level even before selection for the Irish team. It bears no comparison to what you are saying. He has been picked to start for his club by two different managers.

He is not a flashy player and has been picked to play in a position that is different to what he does at his club, he has kept his mouth shut and got on with the job despite much criticism from amateurs and stupid pundits. There is every chance that in the right system he could show the amateur pundit just how good he can be.

Fyi Eamon Dunphy was kicked out of the press conferences in Italia '90 by Jack Charlton who refused to speak to the media while he was there. Dunphy went way ott on Mick McCarthy back then, its nothing new for him.

He played a lot under Pulis, who was known for his, shall we say, agricultural style. He's played 94 mins in 3 games under Hughes. He's being phased out as Hughes gets rid of the cloggers that Pulis had in his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

He played a lot under Pulis, who was known for his, shall we say, agricultural style. He's played 94 mins in 3 games under Hughes. He's being phased out as Hughes gets rid of the cloggers that Pulis had in his team.

Will S.Ireland be replacing Whelan at Stoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

764dak wrote: »
    If he isn't good enough, why is he being criticized? Shouldn't the person picking him be blamed?

By criticizing Whelan the manager is getting the blame for picking him. I agree its unfair. I think Dunphy's comments were harsh but IMO not far from the truth

So you have inside knowledge on Hughes' plans for Whelan? No chance that he has been carrying a knock since the first game of the season being the reason for his two substitute appearances?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

nuxxx wrote: »
    By criticizing Whelan the manager is getting the blame for picking him. I agree its unfair. I think Dunphy's comments were harsh but IMO not far from the truth

Agreed, Dunphy has a tendency to get personal when criticising players & managers which is unnecessary.

Whelan has shown qualities such as effort and commitment but tbh they should a given for players especially playing for their country.

I don't think our style of play recently has helped any of the midfield players show what they are capable of in the Irish team but the new manager will bring new ideas and perhaps Whelan will get an opportunity to show if there is more to his game at international level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement