Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whelan fires back at Dunphy.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you have inside knowledge on Hughes' plans for Whelan? No chance that he has been carrying a knock since the first game of the season being the reason for his two substitute appearances?

Lets see how often he plays. My prediction is that he'll be in the Championship in the Jan transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Will S.Ireland be replacing Whelan at Stoke?

probably - ability wise Ireland is a much more talented player , but Whelan has a lot more application - a combination of the 2 would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He played a lot under Pulis, who was known for his, shall we say, agricultural style. He's played 94 mins in 3 games under Hughes. He's being phased out as Hughes gets rid of the cloggers that Pulis had in his team.

which is more than Hoolahan has at Norwich:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Dunphy is an entertainer. His football knowledge is next to nil.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    which is more than Hoolahan has at Norwich:confused:

Whats that got to do with anything in thread called "Whelan fires back at Dunphy"? :confused::confused::confused:

Plus, its 4 minutes more.

djPSB wrote: »
    Dunphy is an entertainer. His football knowledge is next to nil.

he is an entertainer ,a great journalist and author and also is very knowledeable about the game - yeah he is prone to exaggeration - but admits his playing abilities were limited , ala Whelan , but still like Whelan he was good eneogh to be a regular international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

thebaz wrote: »
    he is an entertainer ,a great journalist and author and also is very knowledeable about the game - yeah he is prone to exaggeration - but admits his playing abilities were limited , ala Whelan , but still like Whelan he was good eneogh to be a regular international.

His journalism is appalling.

A two year old would write the stuff he comes out with.

djPSB wrote: »
    His journalism is appalling.

A two year old would write the stuff he comes out with.

yeah right , he has written one of the best books on professional football , easy to snigger online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I really hate the Irish panel.

I can't bring myself to watch the sad formulaic trash that's passed off as a lively debate anymore.

Any time I do tune in I'm cringing so much within a few seconds that I have to switch over.

It's football for the ignorant masses and anyone that thinks there's anything of value to it doesn't have a clue.

Souness had Dunphy pegged immediately when he was on it and called him out as being full of it. He messed with the script though so they ditched him.

Now you just get Bill setting up a Junior Cert standard debate between Dunphy and Brady. It's awful awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

gosplan wrote: »

I can't bring myself to watch the sad formulaic trash that's passed off as a lively debate anymore.

Any time I do tune in I'm cringing so much within a few seconds that I have to switch over.

It's football for the ignorant masses and anyone that thinks there's anything of value to it doesn't have a clue.

Souness had Dunphy pegged immediately when he was on it and called him out as being full of it. He messed with the script though so they ditched him.

Now you just get Bill setting up a Junior Cert standard debate between Dunphy and Brady. It's awful awful stuff.

Spot on with this.

Its ridiculous people even give it the time of day and when its brought up the standard response is well English tv pundits are boring and sit on the fence. This maybe so but it doesnt justify having these lads as 'experts'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Correct up to knowledeable about the game

Truth is for too long Dunphy has had a free run with his big gob and Bill lets him. Souness was a breath of fresh air. Gilsey was a disgrace the other night too. The abuse Paul Green got was nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The way they all had a collective snigger about Green was cringeworthy and childish, I actually though the lad did well and deserved his motm award.
    Who was the guy that they heavily criticised a few years back, during the Stan years i think, he played for Leeds at the time. Am I right in saying they apologised to him and his family afterwards? My mind is gone blank on the name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

wonga77 wrote: »
    The way they all had a collective snigger about Green was cringeworthy and childish, I actually though the lad did well and deserved his motm award.
    Who was the guy that they heavily criticised a few years back, during the Stan years i think, he played for Leeds at the time. Am I right in saying they apologised to him and his family afterwards? My mind is gone blank on the name...

Bang on

Was Jonathon Douglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I think they ditched Souness because he said that Torres 'raped' Vidic live on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

anyone who thinks glenn whelan is a decent footballer is deluded. the comments were over the top but hes complete rubbish.if we had not such a negative coach who wanted limited work horses to limit conceding rather then creating he would of had about 5 caps. its reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

daRobot wrote: »
    Regardless of what he said about Whelan, Dunphy initially claiming Del Bosque was on 50k and then 100k was laughably uninformed as a self proclaimed Spanish football expert.

Also having a dig at Trap for not bringing McCarthy to the Euro's. Someone mentioned McCarthy pulled out and Dunphy responds "sure he could have convinced him!"
    Ridiculous stuff and don't get me started on the Hoolihan is the messiah ****e from him either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The difference between now and say even 5 years ago is that The RTE Panel, the Trinity of Giles, Brady, Dunphy under God O' Herlihily - they used to compete in an era where if you turned on BBC you had Hansen, Shearer and Lawro, you turned on Sky for Keys and Gray.........and it was all so sychophantic, palsy-walsy, boring stuff that our panel actually looked a) entertaining and b) like a debate.

However now we've the likes of Carra+Neville, Keane+Dixon etc and not only is there a bit more entertainment elsewhere but the standard of analysis is far better. Even Keane+Dixon don't talk too much sh1te.

So in comparison our panel looks less entertaining and infinitely stupider.

Still love them though!! No offence to Richie Sadlier but i'd miss the boys if we got 3 or 4 good pundits like Richie on the show who actually know their stuff!!!!
    yeah right , he has written one of the best books on professional football , easy to snigger online
    Can't be understated what a terrific book that is. Read it many times never gets old and is superbly written.

Whoever claims he is a rubbish journalist is talking through their hats. His writing, use of language etc is incredibly good. If people are slating him for his content & opinions, that's different, but his raw skills as a journalist are excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

He's a terrible player. I can't remember the last time such a crap Irish midfielder got picked on such regular basis.

Dunphys comments were easy on him if anything he should have stuck it to him harder.

Also having a dig at Trap for not bringing McCarthy to the Euro's. Someone mentioned McCarthy pulled out and Dunphy responds "sure he could have convinced him!"
    Ridiculous stuff and don't get me started on the Hoolihan is the messiah ****e from him either!

That would be JamescCarthy, who asked that if he wasn't going to be playing, could he stay at home with his sick dad. If he had of been a regular, or had a chance of starting, he would have travelled. He said as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I can confirm that Dunphys statements the last night and resultant controversy were in no way linked to the release of his new autobiography!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dunphy-to-reap-430k-after-firm-wound-up-29578760.html.

Advertisement