Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed test with and without ethernet

• 13-09-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all im planning on streaming some football through my laptop to my tv and just trying to get it as good a quality as possible, ive just received my cat 5e cable today and ran a speed test with and without the ethernet cable.

ETHERNET WIRE
    Download Speed: 87407 kbps (10925.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10353 kbps (1294.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 48 ms
    9/13/2013 10:06:18 AM

WIFI CONECTION

Download Speed: 21490 kbps (2686.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10352 kbps (1294 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 46 ms
    9/13/2013 10:08:06 AM

Can anyone tell me if the ethernet cable is worth sticking with :confused: as im not very hi tech with this kind of thing. Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Wire for sure..

The downspeed isn't the biggest factor, Wifi is influenced by other things.

E.G.
    How many other Wifi routers are around
    Microwaves / TV Senders affecting signal

I'd stick with the Ethernet cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

joe199 wrote: »
    Hi all im planning on streaming some football through my laptop to my tv and just trying to get it as good a quality as possible, ive just received my cat 5e cable today and ran a speed test with and without the ethernet cable.

ETHERNET WIRE
    Download Speed: 87407 kbps (10925.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10353 kbps (1294.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 48 ms
    9/13/2013 10:06:18 AM

WIFI CONECTION

Download Speed: 21490 kbps (2686.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 10352 kbps (1294 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 46 ms
    9/13/2013 10:08:06 AM

Can anyone tell me if the ethernet cable is worth sticking with :confused: as im not very hi tech with this kind of thing. Cheers:)

The numbers you provide are probably an accurate reflection of the relatively poor performance of WiFi -v- Wired Ethernet. WiFi is particularly poor for streaming and voice applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Thanks for feed back guy much appreciated . Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Move your wireless router to as close as possible to where you spend most of your time online. For example if you have the router in your hall and actually only use a laptop in the sitting room 99% of the time, move the router in to the sitting room.

The closer your laptop is to the router, the greater the performance will be. To prove this, take the laptop right beside the router and now run a speed test over wi-fi. You should see a big boost in speed.

Advertisement