Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of getting dog neutered/spayed

• 13-09-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

We have two dogs (well one dog, one bitch) and our bitch is in heat. We are facing the torture of trying to keep them separated at the moment. Does anybody have any information on roughly the price of how much it would cost to be spayed or neutered? The dog is a greyhound and the bitch is a golden Labrador. Would it be easier get one or both done? Also I've seen it mentioned in places about getting a reduced rate because I have a medical card?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I don't think you get a reduced rate because of a medical card, there are vouchers given to vets by Dogs Trust for people in receipt of social welfare payments that give a discount, these are very limited though.

Prices vary a bit but I would say neutering about 80-100 and spaying a bit more, depends even what county you're in and if you're town or country, let us know whereabouts you are in and others may be able to help, I'm in the West and out the country so those prices would be about right for out here.

Could you get the male neutered now? Must be a total nightmare keeping them apart in the same house, you can't get the female spayed whilst she's in heat anyways so if the male was neutered it would be easier! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Our practice (Limerick city) charges €100 for a male dog and about €150 for a female. That'd be the upper end of the scale in terms of cost in Limerick city. You could maybe pay in €10 or €15 a week on your account at a local vets until it's built up to how much it will cost? That way you'd have the Labrador lady spayed by Christmas, before her next heat. :) Our own vet is grand with this arrangement. I think it's a good idea. Call into your local vets and they should be able to quote you for spaying a Lab-sized dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Could you get the male neutered now?

It'd certainly soften his cough for a few days, poor lad, but he'll still be firing viable bullets for a few weeks? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Cost is related to the dogs weight, the fixed price bit is the cost of the anesthetic and the bigger the dog the more anesthetic thats needed our 50kg male Newfoundland x is going to cost us about €150 to neuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

boomerang wrote: »
    It'd certainly soften his cough for a few days, poor lad, but he'll still be firing viable bullets for a few weeks? :D

I didn't know that! The things you learn on boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

Mine cost €135 weight was 16 kg.male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I think its cheaper to get a male dog neutered than to get a female spayed (quicker, less invasive operation).

Spaying cost depends on the size if the dog. Our terrier cost €170 to get spayed in Dublin recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

twomonkeys wrote: »
    I think its cheaper to get a male dog neutered than to get a female spayed (quicker, less invasive operation).

Spaying cost depends on the size if the dog. Our terrier cost €170 to get spayed in Dublin recently.

God €170 for a terrier! Our Labrador weighs about 40kg if not more! She's huge so I think we'll be ruling her out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

As partner was on social welfare we flu d a vet who was running sme sort of scheme which meant bitch neutered for twenty euros hths

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wellyd wrote: »
    God €170 for a terrier! Our Labrador weighs about 40kg if not more! She's huge so I think we'll be ruling her out!
    And you want to fend off dogs outside walking her (or roaming around your yard as she's trying to get out) for the rest of her life? Oh and I'd get that weight checked; sounds on the heavy side to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Nody wrote: »
    And you want to fend off dogs outside walking her (or roaming around your yard as she's trying to get out) for the rest of her life? Oh and I'd get that weight checked; sounds on the heavy side to me.

Agree a lab bitch should not be 40kg

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

I was just quoted €170 to neuter my male Shih Tzu (7.5 kg) by my local vet in South Dublin. Does that sound way over the going rate? I really like the vet and he knows the dog well but I don't want to be taken for a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Issac wrote: »
    I was just quoted €170 to neuter my male Shih Tzu (7.5 kg) by my local vet in South Dublin. Does that sound way over the going rate? I really like the vet and he knows the dog well but I don't want to be taken for a fool.

Ridiculously expensive. Definitely shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

That sounds ridiculously overpriced to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Pretty expensive but then again my less than 9.5kg male cost €150 and that was 6 years ago and not in Dublin. I had it done because I trusted them and the vets that neutered my female made such a pigs ear of it that I really needed not to be worried about the little guy.

However it's not as big an operation for the males so do shop around. If you're not sure ask here for recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

All these prices seem so steep! OP where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Contact UCD about their neutering done by final year students (supervised of course). Spaces are quite limited but you might be lucky. Male neutering is around €50.

Thanks for the replies. Ya, I thought as much. It does seem ridiculous. I'll have a ring around for some comparison prices.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Contact UCD about their neutering done by final year students (supervised of course). Spaces are quite limited but you might be lucky. Male neutering is around €50.

That would be ideal. I'm in UCD myself at the moment, I'll pop in and have a chat. Thanks.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    All these prices seem so steep! OP where are you located?

I'm living near Blackrock in Dublin and that's where the vet is based. Great vet and I really trust him to do a good job but so expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

That would be ideal. I'm in UCD myself at the moment, I'll pop in and have a chat. Thanks.

I dont think I trust them, esp with spaying, but thats me.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I dont think I trust them, esp with spaying, but thats me.

Any reasons why? They would be supervised. I really couldn't forgive myself if I got the job done on the cheap and something went wrong.

I'm living near Blackrock in Dublin and that's where the vet is based. Great vet and I really trust him to do a good job but so expensive.

I have a lot of pets, and I try to work on the idea that paying extra for additional expertise is a good investment for complex issues, but prefer to use a standard vet for more routine surgeries and treatments. (For example, last year our cat had his leg badly injured in an accident. Our local vet said they could only amputate, as the bone was shattered. We all chipped in and paid I think around 1000 for an orthopedic surgeon, who put in pins etc. Cat doesnt even have a limp now) but for something routine I wouldnt pay any more than I have to. Personal preference I suppose. There is a clinic on Tyrconnell road called St Francis who operate on a subsidised basis and they are very good. In fact, they were the first ones I ever saw giving a pro-biotic paste to a dog to take after a course of antibiotics. Same with palatable tablets (apparently they taste like gravy?lol) You could give them a call?

Any reasons why? They would be supervised. I really couldn't forgive myself if I got the job done on the cheap and something went wrong.

Something can go wrong anywhere. Cheap doesnt necessarily mean incompetent, though I understand its a huge burden of responsibility for us to try to make the best decisions for our beloved furries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Maybe get in touch with dspca mobile unit if they are anywhere near you.

http://www.dspca.ie/index.jsp?p=101&n=120&a=0

Thanks for the replies everyone. The DSPCA van and the clinic near Tyrrelstown seem like good places. I rang a vet near my home house in Cork and they've quoted €85, which is way closer to what I was thinking was the price I'd be paying. I'll be heading that way next week anyway, so I'll probably just get it done there, as I know the practice.

I am surprised that the "city tax" was as high as it was. People are obviously paying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Just got prices for 32kg dog to be neutered. €85 in one place and €130 in the other. Thats a big difference so definatly worth shoping around.

Advertisement