Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decisions to be made- New laptop

• 13-09-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. I have been looking at buying a new laptop ove the last few days and I have narrowed it down to two options. On the one hand I would like to buy from a bricks and mortar store for piece of mind but I'm also aware of the savings I could make buying it online. The two laptops I have narrowed it down to are http://www.harveynorman.ie/fujitsu-lifebook-ah532-m4562gb.html and http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_E1-571_1478283.html . I realise the Acer is the more powerful laptop at this price range but I'm wondering whether the performance difference will be very noticeable. Bear In mind I shall be using the laptop predominantly for college work, hd video streaming and very occasional gaming. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

MrBelding wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether the performance difference will be very noticeable.

In a word, yes.

HN are not very specific, but I suppose it's a Core i5 33210M and a Nvidia GT 620M. The processor is utterly inferior to a quad Core i7 and the GT 620M is a joke, a waste of money, battery power and cooling. There is no reason to add this GPU to the already present Intel HD 4000. It's a sales pitch (Wow, Nvidia graphics!), nothing else.

And the Fujitsu is a real fingerprint magnet, high gloss surfaces everywhere. What where they thinking? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBelding

Thanks for the help Torqay . I'll take the plunge and go for the Acer then so!

Here is a similar model, a little bit cheaper.

The i7 3730QM is appr 10% faster than the i7 3632QM but it is also drawing more power. This one's only has 4 GB RAM, costs for an upgrade will equal the price difference. Battery life vs performance, the call is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBelding

Hi sorry Torqay maybe I missing something here but is the model you linked not the same model, along with the same i7-3632qm processor as the one I posted, the only difference being that one has 8gb RAM and the other has 4gb RAM?. Also will doubling the RAM from 4gb to 8gb significantly reduce battery life? Or would the performance benefits outweigh any loss of battery life?

Sorry, my bad, it is indeed the same processor, I though it was the i7 3630QM.

$ GB RAM is the bare minimums today, so I recommend you get 8 GB. And no, there wond't be any noticable difference in power consumption between 2x2 and 2x4 GB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement