Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manditory Testing & Verification course for RECs

Options
  • 13-09-2013 11:09am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As most of us already know new regulations to be brought in by CER will mean that almost all domestic electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrical contractor. This will become law on the 10th of October of this year. This is a fact and not something that I want to debate in this thread.

Today I was told that part of this legislation will also mean that every electrical contractor will have to have at least on employee that has successfully completed the City & Guilds 2407 Electrical Testing and Verification course. If not they will not be able to certify any of their work. There is not much time between now and the 1st of October and I was also told that the RECI / ECSSA in-house certification / testing courses will no longer be recognised.

According to Jerry O'Dwyre, Chairman of RECI: "It is a CER requirement that a valid qualfied certifier number be on each completion certificate. One of the requirements to be a qualified certifier is that the person must have attended an approved course, which must be repeated every three years. The approval for the existing RECI course ends in June 2013".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

2011 wrote: »
    As most of us already know new regulations to be brought in by CER will mean that almost all domestic electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrical contractor. This will become law on the 10th of October of this year. Thijs is a fact and not something that I want to debate in this thread.

Today I was told that part of this legislation will also mean that every electrical contractor will have to have at least on employee that has successfully completed the City & Guilds 2407 Electrical Testing and Verification course. If not they will not be able to certify any of their work. There is not much time between now and the 10th of October and I was also told that the RECI / ECSSA in-house certification / testing courses will no longer be recognised.

According to Jerry O'Dwyre, Chairman of RECI: "It is a CER requirement that a valid qualfied certifier number be on each completion certificate. One of the requirements to be a qualified certifier is that the person must have attended an approved course, which must be repeated every three years. The approval for the existing RECI course ends in June 2013".

Is this course available to out of work sparks not affiliated to any rec. might come in handy to have on the job search.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

eggy81 wrote: »
    Is this course available to out of work sparks not affiliated to any rec. might come in handy to have on the job search.

Better than that, this course is free to out of work electricians.
    I know that Fas are running it, DIT and RECI I am told is gearing up to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Have the NECI kicked up a fuss about this yet?

Won't be long if they haven't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Existing QC numbers are valid until they expire, though.

• Advertisement

Hoagy wrote: »
    Existing QC numbers are valid until they expire, though.

Following quick Google I think you are correct.

Here is a good link from the ECSSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have many lads here competed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have many lads here competed this?

It's pretty straightforward if you are competent at inspection and testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's pretty straightforward if you are competent at inspection and testing.

What if you haven't done a complete test from start too finish in a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What if you haven't done a complete test from start too finish in a long time?

You should be fine if you know what you're doing. If you think extra time would be helpful then take one of the five-day courses instead of the two-day course. But don't panic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 madman100

Mod edit:
    With just three posts on the forum one being on a five month old post I've assumed that this post is an attempt to advertise on boards.
    Please note the site and forum rules for same.

Advertisement