Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Subject Business Studies

Options
  • 13-09-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My son has just started 2nd year. Last year we were told that there maybe an opportunity to drop History or Geography to do Business Studies instead but now that is not an option.

His current option subjects are Science Technical Graphics and Woodwork and he loves them all and seems to have a flair for them.

My only concern is that he may be limiting his options for Leaving Cert. Family history would suggest that he could have a good aptitude for Accounting.
    I am an accountant and his sister is currently studying Business Studies - not saying i want him to go down the same route as us ,as he is his own man but from a points perspective Accounting may get him more points if he had a flair for it

My question is should he try to do Business Studies as an extra subject or would it be possible to do Accounting in the leaving cert not having done business studies for Junior Cert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You don't need any experince in Junior Cert business for Leaving Cert business/accounting. The experince would help, but it's not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

mon one wrote: »
    My son has just started 2nd year. Last year we were told that there maybe an opportunity to drop History or Geography to do Business Studies instead but now that is not an option.

His current option subjects are Science Technical Graphics and Woodwork and he loves them all and seems to have a flair for them.

My only concern is that he may be limiting his options for Leaving Cert. Family history would suggest that he could have a good aptitude for Accounting.
    I am an accountant and his sister is currently studying Business Studies - not saying i want him to go down the same route as us ,as he is his own man but from a points perspective Accounting may get him more points if he had a flair for it

My question is should he try to do Business Studies as an extra subject or would it be possible to do Accounting in the leaving cert not having done business studies for Junior Cert.
    Tbh picking up business going into 3rd year is a daft idea. It's a long course and it's very difficult, especially as an extra.

He can pick up accounting for LC without experience of business, it's not by any means required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

mon one wrote: »

My advice would be to go through the business course for Junior Cert with him but don't take it as an exam subject. That way he'd have the groundwork for leaving cert done and there isn't any requirements so he'd be well able! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

I think that although Business is a good subject to have and would probably make taking a business subject easier for Leaving cert, i think that taking it up in 3rd year just wouldn't work. I myself am in Transition year so i don't know about the LC courses but i hear that you don't necessarily need Business to do the Leaving Cert equivalents as you will go over the things you would learn from JC business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I do LC Business now and it's really easy to see that people with a Junior Cert background find it much more easy going than those who don't so having a go of the subject would be very advantageous. If he's doing TY he could do the business course in TY :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement