Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No PO Box in Post Office???

Options
  • 13-09-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I contacted An Post regarding setting up a PO Box (Post Office Box) for the wife's business in our local Post Office (south Co Dublin).

An Post came back very quickly to say that you can't have a PO Box in a Post Office in Dublin and can only be availed of at a "Mail Delivery Unit".

The Dublin 18 Mail Delivery unit is 9 km away yet I can walk to the Post Office.

Pretty poor service from An Post.

Anyone else surprised by this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Post Offices do not handle mail directly, they will have a posting box but that is it, They are seperate from the mail sorting delivery division, so not surprisimng really. They would probably offer a mail holding service if there was a wide demand for it as an additional revenue stream, which appears not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

An Post can deliver your POBox mail to you but will charge you an additional €680.00 for the privilege! :eek:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/PO+Box/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Yep, Ive seen the extra delivery charge. Strangely enough It appears that you can have a PO Box in a Post Office outside Dublin.

It's maybe a case of An Post not paying the Post Master for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

trad wrote: »
    I contacted An Post regarding setting up a PO Box (Post Office Box) for the wife's business in our local Post Office (south Co Dublin).

An Post came back very quickly to say that you can't have a PO Box in a Post Office in Dublin and can only be availed of at a "Mail Delivery Unit".

The Dublin 18 Mail Delivery unit is 9 km away yet I can walk to the Post Office.

Pretty poor service from An Post.

Anyone else surprised by this?

why is it poor service?

I don't remember it ever being available in local post office, however previously there were a lot more delivery offices.

Same applies to most postal services in Europe.

There are however plenty of "mail address" services operated privately - just google it with your area and some should appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

sandin wrote: »
    why is it poor service?

I don't remember it ever being available in local post office, however previously there were a lot more delivery offices.

Same applies to most postal services in Europe.

There are however plenty of "mail address" services operated privately - just google it with your area and some should appear.

I had a PO box at the same Post Office about 10 years ago with a different business.
    If a PO Box is only available at a "Mail Delivery Unit" maybe they should call it an MDU box.

I was specifically looking for a PO box, there's a virtual office center nearby but they want €50 plus Vat per month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement