Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motocross for dummies

• 13-09-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and d'brother have been looking into getting maybe a 2 stroke 125 motocross bike. We're thinking maybe a KX125 or similar. I've done a little bit of off-roading and my brother has no experience of off-roading at all but we both have road bikes.

What is the story with green-laning? Is it possible in Ireland? Is there such a thing as motocross free practise? I've never encountered it myself. One problem is that we're both quite tall. My brother is 6'3" and I'm 6'4".

I just don't know if it's possible to do MotoX casually. We don't even know if we'll like it.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

125cc and 6'4"? post pics up please i could do with a laugh!!! seriuosly i reckon you'll find it too small and too slow very quickly, better off with a 250cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

serious3 wrote: »
    125cc and 6'4"? post pics up please i could do with a laugh!!!

Shur DIY!

http://cycle-ergo.com/
    serious3 wrote: »
    seriuosly i reckon you'll find it too small and too slow very quickly, better off with a 250cc

Aren't the 250 chassis bikes the same size as the 125s? I keep hearing that I'll be found stuck up stuck up a tree if I get a 250?

I have accepted that I'm going to look ridiculous, btw:p In fairness though I'm pretty flexible for my size and I don't look ridiculous on my Mille. I think it's on account of my long back. This will probably go against me on the MX bikes though. I just want to learn to ride off road for the experience of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Personally, I'd go over to the uk and do one of the offroad courses, see if it was for me - 'fore buying anything over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Go along to a few events and see what you think: Events calendars here:
    MotocrossIreland
    EnduroIreland
    A "hare and hounds" event or enduro may be what will appeal to you - more than a motoX

Personally, I think a 125 is too small but a 250cc would be adequate - unless you're thinking of being really competitive.
    A 4-stroke would be my preference and arguably will be more practical. You could also consider a road legal trail bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

One specific question about 2 stroke engines- I keep hearing about 'and shur it might be running perfectly today and ten minutes later it could blow up'...

Are they really that precarious? Is it not enough to look at a prospective purchase and 'hear it running'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cantdecide wrote: »
    One specific question about 2 stroke engines- I keep hearing about 'and shur it might be running perfectly today and ten minutes later it could blow up'...

Are they really that precarious? Is it not enough to look at a prospective purchase and 'hear it running'?
    TBH that could be said about any engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Motorcross training day in Rochfordbridge. Saturday 28th, Open to beginners etc

Check out the add on Motorbike Extras on Done Deal.

Might be of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

That's something I'd be interested in myself actually. But I have no bike, no off-road gear, no transport, and it's All Ireland day. Another time shur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Moto cross 2 strokes will require a lot of maintenance and need high quality oil, even then they need regular rebores.

A 4 stroke 250 will be an easier bike to maintain and use.

With both your relying on the previous owner(s) attention to detail. Only good thing about the 2S is that they are generally easier to repair as there's less moving parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »
    Moto cross 2 strokes will require a lot of maintenance and need high quality oil, even then they need regular rebores.

With both your relying on the previous owner(s) attention to detail. Only good thing about the 2S is that they are generally easier to repair as there's less moving parts.
    4 stroke MX engines need very regular oil changes. If this is neglected then the chances of failure are high.
    I'd be looking to see an hour meter fitted and if not ask them how often oil changes were done and with what kind of oil.
    Most only hold 1 litre not enough for slippage of maintenance standards.
    Rebuild costs are much higher than for an equivalent 2t engine.
    Usually 2 stroke stuff just needs rings and maybe a piston, reboring is not done much as the cylinders are plated with Nikasil or similar and reboring means that an iron liner has to be fitted.
    A 250 2 stroke will last a long time before rebuilds. Given your size a 250 might be a better bet than a 125.
    Ride it a gear higher and you should find it controllable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi

How did ye get on with this purchase ? What did ye end up buying, how is it going etc.

I'm in the same boat now ..

See my recently opened thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057200716

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Del2005 wrote: »

Not really the case on re bores, I have 120 hrs on my 250 and thats racing and practicing at expert level, just changed the piston 20 hrs ago and bore is like new, I had close to 400 hr on my old 300 and only had to get it re plated once and that was because the piston seized when I first got it due to incorrect jetting. Now I do use top quality oil thats why the barrel wear is low. Pistons don't tend to last as long on the 2 strokes but don't cost as much either, thats really the only extra maintenance that they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

wow, thats class!

I would love to know who spent their life measuring all the variants of bikes to build that site!!
    305444.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The seat height of a 125 is usually identical to that of the same make/year 250...in fact the latest YZ250s have a seat height lower than that of the YZ125s. It's yer leg length that matters rather than yer height ;) You can always adjust the forks and suspension to your personal preference. OH has to lower all my bikes to the max cos although I'm quite tall (for a bird) I've got short leg syndrome...

4 strokes are easier to learn on but more expensive if they go bang.

I've done the Mick Extance Kawasaki Experience training over in Wales and that's definitely good fun!

Advertisement