Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone in the US

• 13-09-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

This is a two pronged question.

1. Can I by an iPhone 5S from an Apple store in the US and simply put my iPhone 4s sim into it?

2. If I can, I want to give my wife the 4S, she has a bog standard phone, will she need a new sim?

Both of us are with O2 if that makes any difference

Thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

4s uses a micro sim. 5s prob uses the nano sim the same as the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Would you recommend discarding packaging before flying home to avoid customs and tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

guil wrote: »
    4s uses a micro sim. 5s prob uses the nano sim the same as the 5.

Next question so, can I get my micro sim ported to a nano sim?
    What costs would be invovled?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I would recommend against buying an iPhone in the US.

I bought my sim free iPhone 5 in New York. 3 months into use and it developed a hardware fault.

The problem is that the iPhone in US is a different model code to Europe (cell frequencies or something). So Apple will not exchange within Europe.

They won't ship a replacement out of the US either. So the only way is to go to the US or know someone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Next question so, can I get my micro sim ported to a nano sim?
    What costs would be invovled?

Ta

There shouldn't be any cost just go into an O2 shop and ask for a nano sim. You could cut your wife's sim I have done it a few times, or while in the O2 shop bring her with you and get a micro sim for the 4s. Only risk buying in the states is the warranty isn't covered. But if you travel there frequently, or know someone there I think it is worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Im travelling to NYC in a few weeks and am thinking of buying the 5s over there Sim free in the apple shop, im begining to get a bit worried as people are mentioning faults etc and void warranty if using outside US.

Would insurance not solve this issue??

Looking on the site it says the unlocked 5s comes with a T-mobile sim and to set up phone bring it to an apple shop or t-mobile shop, is this really nessecary if bringing back to Ireland??

Sorry for hijacking but didnt see point in starting new thread

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Im travelling to NYC in a few weeks and am thinking of buying the 5s over there Sim free in the apple shop, im begining to get a bit worried as people are mentioning faults etc and void warranty if using outside US.

Looking on the site it says the unlocked 5s comes with a T-mobile sim and to set up phone bring it to an apple shop or t-mobile shop, is this really nessecary if bringing back to Ireland??

Thanks

I can't help re insurance. You'd have to check the small print of the policy. If the insurance company run into the warranty problems then they may use a clause against you.

Personally I wish I never bought the phone in the US. I didn't know about the different models at the time.

Re t mobile setup, I didn't have to do this with my iPhone 5. There was no sim and it was fully unlocked out of the box. I didn't hear if this is changing for the 5S release.

I'm now left with a useless brick of an iPhone. My bro is going to the US next month and he will get me a replacement under the US warranty. But I am still left with a phone that i will have trouble selling on once I alert the buyer about the potential warranty issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Thanks

No. If you don’t want a multiyear service contract, or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. If you choose T-Mobile, your iPhone comes with a T-Mobile SIM card already installed. You will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Retail Store to activate your iPhone.
    Otherwise, the unlocked iPhone does not come with a micro-SIM card for iPhone 4s, or a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5c so you’ll need to get one from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using your iPhone, simply insert the SIM card into the slot and turn on iPhone by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I can't help re insurance. You'd have to check the small print of the policy. If the insurance company run into the warranty problems then they may use a clause against you.
    FWIW, I had a US-bought iPhone covered under Ulster Bank (ufirst) insurance and they paid me out a cheque for €600 when it was stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Which model should I get for it to work in Ireland? I have a relative going over in November.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Which model should I get for it to work in Ireland? I have a relative going over in November.

You can't choose which model you buy. There is one for sale over there and the other here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

You can't choose which model you buy. There is one for sale over there and the other here.

There were 2 models for the 5 A1428 and 1429. The A1429 works in Ireland but its actually the CDMA model in the US no?

miralize wrote: »
    There were 2 models for the 5 A1428 and 1429. The A1429 works in Ireland but its actually the CDMA model in the US no?

Since the iPhone 4S there was no difference between a GSM and CDMA model. The difference between the A1428 and A1429 is the LTE chip. The first is sold in America and the second here. It's not possible to buy the second in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I was in the apple store in London, I asked if there would be any problem if I bought a 5s in the US and wanted to use it here in Ireland and I was told that there would be no problem as the iphone 5s "has one of the widest LTE bands around", so I don't see there being any problem with regards to coverage. I do know that the warranty won't be covered here though, but it would be roughly €220 cheaper, so I think its worth the risk IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm planning on buying one in New York. Would it be advisable to leave the box packaging behind to avoid getting stung for tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying one in New York. Would it be advisable to leave the box packaging behind to avoid getting stung for tax?

You're allowed bring in €430 worth of products free of duty which works out at about $570 at today's exchange rate so if the phone is under that amount and you don't buy anything else, there's no need to discard the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

From the latest replies i might take the jump and get one while in New York of they are still available in the apple shop.

Quick question can i go to my mobile provider now and request a nano sim or should i wait till i get back as i would still be using my phone up until i get the new one in New York. Just wondering does the sim only become active when inserted or when collected in store:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

If buying in NY what's the story with making sure it's compatible with the LTE
    networks which will be launched here?

Do you need to tell them that the phone will be used in uk and ireland? As
    I heard there are different versions of the 5s for different regions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Anyone want to buy me a phone in the states while they're there? Quite serious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys are you saying that the price of an iPhone 5s in the states is around the€450 mark ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I bought my iPad in the Apple store on 5th Avenue in March. No issues at all, I brought the box back too. You would be unlucky if you got caught for customs check and even at that just take the price off. They cannot prove you bought it there, (oh and hide your US apple charger as that would be a give away). I was told by the guy in the US apple store that my warranty was valid worldwide so there was no issue.

I bought my iPad in the Apple store on 5th Avenue in March. No issues at all, I brought the box back too. You would be unlucky if you got caught for customs check and even at that just take the price off. They cannot prove you bought it there, (oh and hide your US apple charger as that would be a give away). I was told by the guy in the US apple store that my warranty was valid worldwide so there was no issue.

Is the iPad LTE if so they simply won't repair or replace it here. Look at the couple of posts/threads here about apple not repairing iPhone 5 bought in the states. They are different models

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Is the iPad LTE if so they simply won't repair or replace it here. Look at the couple of posts/threads here about apple not repairing iPhone 5 bought in the states. They are different models

No mine is not LTE. It is Wifi Only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just be very careful as there are several versions of the iPhone 5S / 5C with different frequency setups for LTE.

You could end up buying a US iPhone that will not work on any Irish 4G network when they go on air in November.
    European band allocations for LTE/4G are quite different to US ones.

What if you bought a model that does work in Ireland and something happens to it. Will apple repair it ?

What if you bought a model that does work in Ireland and something happens to it. Will apple repair it ?

No. How many times has it being said already? The LTE chip is different so different models. That was the case with the 5 so probably the same with the 5s

All the iPhone's have used are from the states and I have no problem with it or whatsoever. But the last-one I used was the iPhone 4. So lets say Ive been out of the game.

So in other words its not advisable buying an iPhone5/5s in the states due to as if something goes wrong apple wont fix it ?

Yes that was the case with the iPhone 5. Looking at the specs on the uk and Us store they both give 5 different models for the 5s so I'm not sure it could be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It looks like the iPhone 5S models ALL support all Irish LTE frequencies.
    The iPhone 5 didn't.

Irish bands for LTE :
    800MHz - Band 20 (Digital Dividend former analogue PAL TV spectrum)
    900MHz - Band 8 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)
    1800MHz - Band 3 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)

(As yet, unclear which will be used by which networks, they mostly have licences for all 3. However 800MHz or 900MHz would provide the best signal propagation similar to that of GSM 2G. There's been a big issue with 2100MHz for 3G as it doesn't propagate well in buildings etc)

Bands for UMTS/3G (European standard)
    2100MHz

Bands for GSM/EDGE 2G (European standard)
    900MHz
    1800MHz
    (Both used by most networks, so having only one would limit you in dense areas where 1800MHz may supplement 900MHz)

iPhone 5S

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

All tech specs are available on www.apple.com/iPhone

Just beware though that some US shops may not know what model they're selling. Make sure you check very carefully before buying.

Also, I am not entirely clear what the difference between FDD-LTE and TD-LTE will be in an Irish context as I don't know what the networks are using until they give out more technical information. I would assume it's whatever most ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) members use though which seems to be a preference for FDD-LTE not TD-LTE. TD-LTE is generally confined to China and parts of the far east from what I have read about it and FDD-LTE is where most of the industry is going at the moment. FDD uses a frequency for upload and another one for download while TDD uses time division to share a single frequency for both. FDD seems to be producing better results at present though.

From the above though, it would seem like it doesn't matter as LTE-FDD is only supported on the last model on Bands 38, 39, 40 anyway. I would suspect that's the one aimed at Asian markets.

If you're planning on using it in both the US and Europe, check out the US frequencies more carefully as it looks like Ireland's going to be *very* Euro-standard and not at all quirky / weird. US frequencies tend to be strange because the FCC invariably comes up with absolutely daft frequency plans and operator-specific allocations that are totally unique to one company and stuff like that.

It's highly unlikely that Irish operators will do anything weird as they'll want access to the widest range of handsets and devices possible and won't want weird, expensive one-off network infrastructure gear either.

The FCC's approach has actually often held the US mobile industry up relative to the EU in particular which has been a lot more logical about allocations. In the early days of both 2G and 3G in the US the allocations were quite ridiculously small and a lot of networks were just permanently choked up. Early US 3G actually shoehorned 3G into the same spectrum that the existing CDMA and GSM 2G occupied where as in Europe it was given its own space.

In short: do your research mostly on the US side as that's where the weird stuff and unusual band allocations are likely to be!

• Advertisement

The price of 16gb 5s of 549 pounds can buy 64gb iPhone 5s in the states.

This is very interesting.

Infact you can buy an iPhone 5s and ship it to a P.O box in the states and with a parcekl company ship it to Ireland. But I'm very sure that it will come with import tax.

Advertisement