Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone in the US

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Be ware that it will come with a LOT of import tax though, so you might actually end up paying the same price as you would here / more.

Total customs value (CIF): €590.75 for iPhone 5S 32GB
    - Duty: €0.00
    - VAT: €135.87
    Total import duty & taxes due: €135.87

Total landed cost: €726.62

& whatever you pay for shipping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Be ware that it will come with a LOT of import tax though, so you might actually end up paying the same price as you would here / more.

One thing I've never known for sure with customs is do they value the item at the price you paid in the States or wherever and convert the value to Euro or do they price it on what it would cost if you bought it here? Surely it's the former, especially if you have a receipt as in a lot of cases things you are buying might not be available here meaning they have nothing to compare it to?

If it is as I think, you could get the 16GB 5c for $549 ($570-580 with tax depending on which state you buy it in) which is close to the €430 limit that you can bring in without having to pay duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

My bro is in the states so buying it is no problem. I'll just tell him to discard the box.

One thing I've never known for sure with customs is do they value the item at the price you paid in the States or wherever and convert the value to Euro or do they price it on what it would cost if you bought it here? Surely it's the former, especially if you have a receipt as in a lot of cases things you are buying might not be available here meaning they have nothing to compare it to?

If it is as I think, you could get the 16GB 5c for $549 ($570-580 with tax depending on which state you buy it in) which is close to the €430 limit that you can bring in without having to pay duty.

I think they can work from just the catalogue value here sometimes. I'm not 100% sure as a legitimate shipper will usually declare it accurately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Does anyone know what the tax would be if I bought it in the apple store in New York?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Kagawa wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the tax would be if I bought it in the apple store in New York?

I think the sales tax is 7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It looks like the iPhone 5S models ALL support all Irish LTE frequencies.
    The iPhone 5 didn't.

Is the opposite true ... will an Irish iPhone 5s work on 4g/LTE networks in the US?

Also - any idea when the US Apple stores will stock sim free iPhone 5S?

I assume that they would have them available from the start? I plan to pick one up in mid October, so I hope they have them by then

• Advertisement

I assume that they would have them available from the start? I plan to pick one up in mid October, so I hope they have them by then

Not available yet. I think it was close to December last year before the iPhone 5 was available sim free over there.

They have them available on the US website so I don't see why they wouldn't have them available in the stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Find the zip code of the apple store NY then go through the Apple US store website and try making a delivery to that address. Should tell you the tax.

Just after noticing that now.. I thought it was locked to "T-Mobile". Last year, there was an option for just a sim-free phone and mentioned nothing about T-mobile.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Is the opposite true ... will an Irish iPhone 5s work on 4g/LTE networks in the US?

Until I know which particular model Apple's going to sell here (as all the GSM/UMTS ones seem to work on our LTE networks) I couldn't answer that.
    Although they'll all work for AT&T and T-Mobile GSM 2G and probably UMTS 3G. The LTE reception would be the potentially problematic bit.

You can't generalise about 3G and LTE in the States even on the GSM/UMTS networks because AT&T and T-Mobile have different spectrum allocations for 4G. So a phone that works on AT&T may not necessarily work on T-Mobile and visa versa.

Verizon and Sprint are also using LTE, but they do not use GSM or UMTS as their 2 and 3G networks were built on Qualcomm CDMA technology EV-DO etc etc instead of the open GSM standards. They're gradually moving to open standards though as they move towards 4G however and ditching the proprietary stuff as it's more of a hinderance than a help i.e. restricting choices of handsets / devices and network equipment suppliers.

The big issue at the moment is that 4G does not carry voice traffic at all! So, when you make a phone call it will drop back to 3G. Voice over LTE is only beginning to be standardised now.

A solution to that isn't very far away though. I think the big issue has been to come up with something that's at least as good as GSM voice but using an all-IP network and VoIP.

The total for the 16gig 5S is $706 ( €522) - not a bad saving once you can avoid paying Irish duty and vat.

Until I know which particular model Apple's going to sell here (as all the GSM/UMTS ones seem to work on our LTE networks) I couldn't answer that.
    Although they'll all work for AT&T and T-Mobile GSM 2G and probably UMTS 3G. The LTE reception would be the potentially problematic bit.

You can't generalise about 3G and LTE in the States even on the GSM/UMTS networks because AT&T and T-Mobile have different spectrum allocations for 4G. So a phone that works on AT&T may not necessarily work on T-Mobile and visa versa.

Verizon and Sprint are also using LTE, but they do not use GSM or UMTS as their 2 and 3G networks were built on Qualcomm CDMA technology EV-DO etc etc instead of the open GSM standards. They're gradually moving to open standards though as they move towards 4G however and ditching the proprietary stuff as it's more of a hinderance than a help i.e. restricting choices of handsets / devices and network equipment suppliers.

The big issue at the moment is that 4G does not carry voice traffic at all! So, when you make a phone call it will drop back to 3G. Voice over LTE is only beginning to be standardised now.

A solution to that isn't very far away though. I think the big issue has been to come up with something that's at least as good as GSM voice but using an all-IP network and VoIP.

Thanks for the information Spacetime. I'm thinking now it would just be a better option to get the sim-free T-Mobile US version. That way, it should work on both sides of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Three in the UK support HD Voice, which is much clearer and sounds more like a Skype call than a regular phone call. It works on a few of the high end phones like the iPhone 5 and the S4, and it's way better. I suspect it's using 3G as we'll.

Zcott wrote: »
    Three in the UK support HD Voice, which is much clearer and sounds more like a Skype call than a regular phone call. It works on a few of the high end phones like the iPhone 5 and the S4, and it's way better. I suspect it's using 3G as we'll.

It's supported on Vodafone 3G here too.

http://www.vodafone.ie/network/hd-voice/

The range of handsets supporting it is growing all the time.

Most of the top-tier ones already do iPhone 5, HTC One, HTC 8X, the newer galaxies and some unexpected ones like Huawei Ascend G510

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zcott wrote: »
    Find the zip code of the apple store NY then go through the Apple US store website and try making a delivery to that address. Should tell you the tax.

NY tax is 8.75%

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the best US Parcel Motel equivalent is? Also, Apple doesn't seem to accept an Irish address for billing so how do you get around that?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Anyone?

There isnt really going to be one thats akin to PM. The reason PM works is because the ROI is somewhat attached to mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Does anyone know what the best US Parcel Motel equivalent is? Also, Apple doesn't seem to accept an Irish address for billing so how do you get around that?

I think you can get onto your credit card company and ask them to set up a secondary billing address. Then just give a US address. I remember someone posting on Boards about how they did that to order a Macbook Air from the US store with an Irish CC.

Maybe you could give the secondary billing address as that of a local Apple Store and then select to pick up the item direct from that store if you're ordering from Apple direct? If this isn't applicable, I haven't been following the entirety of this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

You could use ShipIto.com with their assisted purchases. But add the duty on top of that and it will make it not worth it. You need a US CC & billing address to order from the US Apple site.

The US iPhone 5S supports almost all of the LTE's but the European iPhone 5S only supports European LTE's and you can't use it on the US LTE's (I am open to correction on that). So preferably I would like a US iPhone 5S but the cost of the assisted purchase & duty means that it works out about the same cost as getting it here and you are taking a chance on the phone working properly for the next 12 months (warranty coverage).

It's much better to go to Belfast and buy it there IMO, at least until it is available here. You can go back to Belfast easily if there is a problem, the alternative is to ship it back and forth to the US and potentially more customs.

Cheers asif2011 .. had a look at shipito.com and seems like a good service. That is one of the reasons I wanted a US iPhone because the LTE is compatible on both sides of the Atlantic. I think I may look into getting an American friend to send it on. Won't have to pay duty that way either.

I think I may look into getting an American friend to send it on. Won't have to pay duty that way either.
    Getting a friend to send it on is the same as using ShipIto.com Unless they are visiting Ireland.

I got 2 x Google Nexus 7 tablets on eBay with free US shipping, so I sent it to my ShipIto address but I got stung on the import duty even though I marked it as a gift. I'm pretty sure they opened the box. Now I saved €50 even with the duty, without the duty it would have been €150. But will they keep working for the next 12 months? I dunno.

There is no way you can bring a phone in without customs opening it up and checking the value of it IMO. You would need to be extraordinarily lucky.

Have done it before with a GPS unit valued at €400 over here. Price marked on package was $50. No duty. *Not advocating duty evasion, it's just what I did.*

I wish you luck! I order clothes and stuff from the US and I seem to be getting hit more often than not these days. I think they might have moved a few public servants from somewhere else and put them in to customs cause it's revenue making... just my opinion though. I used to get away with it before.

• Advertisement

asif2011 wrote: »
    I wish you luck! I order clothes and stuff from the US and I seem to be getting hit more often than not these days. I think they might have moved a few public servants from somewhere else and put them in to customs cause it's revenue making... just my opinion though. I used to get away with it before.

Maybe they don't pay as much attention to privately sent packages rather than commercial. Hmmm... not sure now. Will probably just take the risk.

Advertisement