Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone in the US

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Maybe they don't pay as much attention to privately sent packages rather than commercial. Hmmm... not sure now. Will probably just take the risk.

C&E are taking note of everything these days, and are not accepting high ticket items being sent as gifts. I think duty is 0%, but you can add shipping to the actual cost and add 23% VAT to the lot. You can check the duty situation if you Google the tariff codes which will give you the duty rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It looks like the iPhone 5S models ALL support all Irish LTE frequencies.
    The iPhone 5 didn't.

Irish bands for LTE :
    800MHz - Band 20 (Digital Dividend former analogue PAL TV spectrum)
    900MHz - Band 8 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)
    1800MHz - Band 3 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)

(As yet, unclear which will be used by which networks, they mostly have licences for all 3. However 800MHz or 900MHz would provide the best signal propagation similar to that of GSM 2G. There's been a big issue with 2100MHz for 3G as it doesn't propagate well in buildings etc)

Bands for UMTS/3G (European standard)
    2100MHz

Bands for GSM/EDGE 2G (European standard)
    900MHz
    1800MHz
    (Both used by most networks, so having only one would limit you in dense areas where 1800MHz may supplement 900MHz)

iPhone 5S

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

All tech specs are available on www.apple.com/iPhone

Just beware though that some US shops may not know what model they're selling. Make sure you check very carefully before buying.

Also, I am not entirely clear what the difference between FDD-LTE and TD-LTE will be in an Irish context as I don't know what the networks are using until they give out more technical information. I would assume it's whatever most ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) members use though which seems to be a preference for FDD-LTE not TD-LTE. TD-LTE is generally confined to China and parts of the far east from what I have read about it and FDD-LTE is where most of the industry is going at the moment. FDD uses a frequency for upload and another one for download while TDD uses time division to share a single frequency for both. FDD seems to be producing better results at present though.

From the above though, it would seem like it doesn't matter as LTE-FDD is only supported on the last model on Bands 38, 39, 40 anyway. I would suspect that's the one aimed at Asian markets.

If you're planning on using it in both the US and Europe, check out the US frequencies more carefully as it looks like Ireland's going to be *very* Euro-standard and not at all quirky / weird. US frequencies tend to be strange because the FCC invariably comes up with absolutely daft frequency plans and operator-specific allocations that are totally unique to one company and stuff like that.

It's highly unlikely that Irish operators will do anything weird as they'll want access to the widest range of handsets and devices possible and won't want weird, expensive one-off network infrastructure gear either.

The FCC's approach has actually often held the US mobile industry up relative to the EU in particular which has been a lot more logical about allocations. In the early days of both 2G and 3G in the US the allocations were quite ridiculously small and a lot of networks were just permanently choked up. Early US 3G actually shoehorned 3G into the same spectrum that the existing CDMA and GSM 2G occupied where as in Europe it was given its own space.

In short: do your research mostly on the US side as that's where the weird stuff and unusual band allocations are likely to be!

Bought 4S model over a year ago in US. Have used it extensively in Ireland, UK, USA and Europe. No problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bought 4S model over a year ago in US. Have used it extensively in Ireland, UK, USA and Europe. No problem whatsoever.
    That's nice but the 4S isn't LTE so doesn't really apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I think this may help those who buy a phone in the US.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4769216/apple-extends-applecare-for-ios-devices-to-cover-travelers
    You do need to get the extra applecare+ cover though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

dloob wrote: »
    I think this may help those who buy a phone in the US.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4769216/apple-extends-applecare-for-ios-devices-to-cover-travelers
    You do need to get the extra applecare+ cover though.

I can't see how that will help. It says that Apple will repair phone in country you are in if the service is available. Apple Ireland/UK/Europe are unable to repair US models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Why didnt they introduce that last week? I tried getting it with my 5s, but they said I had to buy it in the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I can't see how that will help. It says that Apple will repair phone in country you are in if the service is available. Apple Ireland/UK/Europe are unable to repair US models.

I'm not sure, but this screen grab from the service manual suggest all the US models are now available as replacements in Europe.
    https://twitter.com/SonnyDickson/status/382634673681092608

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Has anyone ordered the iPhone 5s from us ?
    I want to tell my bro to order it tiday ?

I've been trying to order an iPhone us apple store and its not moving past the sign in to your apple ID or continue as a guest page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Hi

Just wondering the wi-fi only Ipads, are they much cheaper buying them in NY than over here? I have looked thi sup online but cant seem to figure it out

Thank for any info

M

• Advertisement

did anyone but the tmobile iphone 5s ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

did anyone but the tmobile iphone 5s ?

Ill be in the apple store in New York next week ill be finding out then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DAK69

Right let me just summarise the pervious pages and please let me no if I'm wrong on anything it just the way I took it in.

1. It about €200 cheaper in the US

2. If you buy an iphone in the USA the LTE/4G will work here and over there fine but if you buy it here it will only work here

3. Best bet is to buy one while your over there and take it back like you have been using it and not brand new, rather than get one posted back to avoid customs

4. It would not be under warranty here, if it broke it would have to be sent back to America to get fixed under warranty.
    ( could it get fixed here privately ???)

5. It is available sim free ( comes with t-mobile sim but don't have to use.)

Am going on my honeymoon to cancun Mexico at start of dec. I'm presuming that the one in Mexico will be same as US model ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I want to order the iPhone 5S model A1530, does anyone know how I can select this model number online? (Reason for that model number is that i want it to work in the USA, Ireland, Europe, Middle East and Asia)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

Just picked one up from 5th avenue branch a few hours ago, froze my back side off waiting in line! Yes people are still camping outside from early hours!! As I found out a few days ago when I strollled in during the evening. . Was told by sales team people cue from about 4 am!! but you would be ok to arrive down at 8 am.. no gold available.

I was in the Grand Central store today in New York and the iphone 5s is not yet available unlocked. The 5c is available unlocked. Staff dont know when the 5s will be available unlocked but they guess late November.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I was in the Grand Central store today in New York and the iphone 5s is not yet available unlocked. The 5c is available unlocked. Staff dont know when the 5s will be available unlocked but they guess late November.

Should of went the apple store. It's available there now.

kceire wrote: »

This is an Apple store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Has anyone ordered from the Apple Store?

I was going to order online and get it shipped to my friends house in the States. I'm going over next month so could collect it then - save the risk of not getting on in a retail store.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around unlocked 5S's. Am I right in saying the $649 T-mobile 5S isn't unlocked? Seems to be mixed opinions online :confused:

jamieh wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered from the Apple Store?

I was going to order online and get it shipped to my friends house in the States. I'm going over next month so could collect it then - save the risk of not getting on in a retail store.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around unlocked 5S's. Am I right in saying the $649 T-mobile 5S isn't unlocked? Seems to be mixed opinions online :confused:

I was clearly told by two different sales staff at the apple store in New York yesterday that the 5s is only currently available locked to American mobile networks only.

• Advertisement

Just picked one up from 5th avenue branch a few hours ago, froze my back side off waiting in line! Yes people are still camping outside from early hours!! As I found out a few days ago when I strollled in during the evening. . Was told by sales team people cue from about 4 am!! but you would be ok to arrive down at 8 am.. no gold available.
    kceire wrote: »

Going by these posts the unlocked version is available - but I can't see any mention of this on the Apple Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Contact the store directly?

Call Apple Customer Care in the US?

Guys i bought one from apple store 5th ave a few days ago, working perfect with my Vodafone sim

Guys i bought one from apple store 5th ave a few days ago, working perfect with my Vodafone sim

How much was it?

Was it easy to get one?

Hey - did you buy one of the T-Mobile 'device-only' phones - they appear to be unlocked?

I read on Macrumors forums that the phone needs to be activated in the States - that could be a stumbling block for me :(

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey - did you buy one of the T-Mobile 'device-only' phones - they appear to be unlocked?

I read on Macrumors forums that the phone needs to be activated in the States - that could be a stumbling block for me :(

Tunnelbear? Or does it need to be activated with a US Sim?

I am returning to the apple store in 42nd street in an hour to ask once again

No probs getting one just need to que. from about 8 am to get one, as they do be out of stock or else taken off sale later in day. Mine came with a AT&T sim in but I just popped my vodafone nano sim right in and activated there and then, apple staff said it's locked in us to AT&T but will work with any international sim!! Which I find strange as surely it's either locked or not ? Any how's mine and my partners 5c are working with our Irish sims

How much was it?

Was it easy to get one?

See my other posts on this thread pretty easy but you need to be there early. Paid 815$ Incl sales tax 32gb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No probs getting one just need to que. from about 8 am to get one, as they do be out of stock or else taken off sale later in day. Mine came with a AT&T sim in but I just popped my vodafone nano sim right in and activated there and then, apple staff said it's locked in us to AT&T but will work with any international sim!! Which I find strange as surely it's either locked or not ? Any how's mine and my partners 5c are working with our Irish sims

I think it locks to the first sim put in to it? Be interesting to try it with a different SIM again.

Advertisement