Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone in the US

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I eturned today to Apple store at Grand Central, i got the 5s 32gb for use in Ireland. I got clariication its not officially unlocked in USA but is unlocked and ok for use with European carriers :)

I returned today to Apple store at Grand Central, i got the 5s 32gb for use in Ireland. I got clariication its not officially unlocked in USA but is unlocked and ok for use with European carriers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Purchased two 5S 64g phones online from Apple Store, originally they stated 2-3 weeks for delivery to US address, but the silver one shipped within 24 hours, the gold one within 48 hours, phones are being shipped directly from China which kinda surprised me.

Amazing the Grand Central store was so old out of the 5s last night at 8pm but they would have fresh stock this morning. Amazingly too the New York Apple stores are open 24 hours a day :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

If you buy an iPhone in the US and then it breaks when you are in Ireland, you won't be covered under warranty.

I know from experience - my iPhone 5 volume buttons broke 2 months after buying the phone in NYC and Apple refused to take it back. The only way I could get it repaired under warranty would have been to fly back to US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

If you buy an iPhone in the US and then it breaks when you are in Ireland, you won't be covered under warranty.

I know from experience - my iPhone 5 volume buttons broke 2 months after buying the phone in NYC and Apple refused to take it back. The only way I could get it repaired under warranty would have been to fly back to US.

What did you do in the end?

If you show up as a tourist in an Apple store (ideally not in the UK), you have a good chance of getting it changed on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

embraer170 wrote: »

If you show up as a tourist in an Apple store (ideally not in the UK), you have a good chance of getting it changed on the spot.

No you don't, not unless you go to an American Apple store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

No you don't, not unless you go to an American Apple store.

I have seen a few reports of people successfully getting phones replaced in Apple stores abroad as long as the same model is available in that country (not always the case with US sold iPhones).

See this:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2073524

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have seen a few reports of people successfully getting phones replaced in Apple stores abroad as long as the same model is available in that country (not always the case with US sold iPhones).

See this:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2073524

Not arguing that point, but the model you buy in the US is pretty much only sold in the US, Canada and Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

It appears there are actually five different versions of the iPhone 5s/5c. See this article.

According to the article, all US ones are locked except the generic GSM-AT&T version in Apple stores.

The article also contains this link on how to change US carriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

dermiestv wrote: »
    It appears there are actually five different versions of the iPhone 5s/5c. See this article.

According to the article, all US ones are locked except the generic GSM-AT&T version in Apple stores.

The article also contains this link on how to change US carriers.

I guess Forbes have to toe the party line, why apple want to hide that the full priced phones are actually unlocked I've no idea, some deal with the carriers to not promote the official sim free version for a few months maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I just have a phone with broken volume buttons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was thinking of buying one from apple.com and getting a friend to bring it here at Christmas but I'm not so sure now after reading this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I know the issues with buying an iphone in the us, but what about an ipad air wifi, does anyone know if there would be any warranty issues there???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kagawa wrote: »
    I know the issues with buying an iphone in the us, but what about an ipad air wifi, does anyone know if there would be any warranty issues there???

Look it up on the Apple warranty page.

Advertisement