Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM South Africa

Options
  • 13-09-2013 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who is interested in doing this race next year but is unsure on the logistics of getting to the event. Has anyone on here done it (thought there was 1 or 2) and if so what were the travel arrangements.
    Currently he is looking at the option of flying to Capetown and somehow getting from there to the race venue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I have a friend who is interested in doing this race next year but is unsure on the logistics of getting to the event. Has anyone on here done it (thought there was 1 or 2) and if so what were the travel arrangements.
    Currently he is looking at the option of flying to Capetown and somehow getting from there to the race venue.

Izoard is your man on this one. Although I think he usually swings in a work trip around the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BTH wrote: »
    Izoard is your man on this one. Although I think he usually swings in a work trip around the race.

Ok i will ask. Thats what you get for waiting too long to enter the main european races, they mostly sell out quick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Frankfurt will reopen soon...

SA is run by the same people as St Polten so I would imagine it is a good race... I believe it has monkeys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Arranmoreelw

BTH wrote: »

I ve been to SA a few times and IM is in Port Elizabeth 1hr flying time from Capetown or 5/6 hrs drive time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

mloc123 wrote: »
    ... I believe it has monkeys too.

... and an ocean that gobbles up Garmins too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ahh, the old "I have a friend..." misdirection...

Very easy to put together - hotels are cheap and right beside transition.

Great spot for an IM, albeit very weather dependent - check out 2012...

Fly via Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth. CT to PE is a 8 hour drive - lovely scenery, but if you want in & out, that's not the way to go.

Still a very local race - not that many outsiders, so there is a perception it is an easier Kona qualification race - times looked pretty competitive this year though.

Baboons and snakes an added bonus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cheers Izo, he is likely going to try get a place in FF when it opens back up. Costs are too high and a pain to get there.

Advertisement